• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never heard that one before, is it actually a popular theory? lol
Some people are very strongly convinced...so no.
The strongest pieces of evidence supporting this is that Nico Robin has black hair and that Dragon knows who she is. So naturally it's pretty much already confirmed as true.
Don't forget the timing works out perfectly (with Robin's momma)?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Ray Down

Banned
Yeah my Color Walk 7 finally came in.

Ugh, I doubt the siblings stuff is true but it will make me laugh at the fanfiction because it would now be surprise Incest fics.

Like Shunsei and Nanno.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I know this is the manga thread but the question applies anyway. Started re-watching the anime which I havent done in years, in the Luffy flashback, was Shanks already a yonkou back when Luffy was a kid?

Because that makes the bar scene with the bandit even more hilarious lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The strongest pieces of evidence supporting this is that Nico Robin has black hair and that Dragon knows who she is. So naturally it's pretty much already confirmed as true.
Olivia said she had to finish her husband's work, and Robin is called the "Light of the Revolution." If Olivia was trying to help Dragon expose the government through the poneglyphs, the obsession the revolutionary army seems to have with Robin makes sense, and such a title seems too huge for someone who just stumbled upon the Revs and trained with them for a few years. Their leader's daughter, though.... makes sense.

Also would explain why Kuma sent her to the revs.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I know this is the manga thread but the question applies anyway. Started re-watching the anime which I havent done in years, in the Luffy flashback, was Shanks already a yonkou back when Luffy was a kid?

Because that makes the bar scene with the bandit even more hilarious lol

We don't know when he became a yonkou, but we do know he was already among the top pirates in the New World (WB said everyone was shocked when he returned from East Blue missing an arm)

I go to mangastream today to read the worlds best comic and I forgot that it's on break this week and I wanted to cry but I didn't because I'm a grown, strong soman now but dammit, a week without One Piece is like a day without sunshine. You are my support group in this time of need.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
He just said they don't share the same mother.

Also: this theory is absurd, like all One Piece theories ever.

I'll never understand how Crocomom got pushed so much.

I can buy female Crocodile but being Luffy's mom is too absurd.

Don't remember any of this.

latest

latest

KrGr1pz.png

It's Fishman Island. You're not even trying.

Punk Hazard had the moment where Brook froze all the enemy cannons and blew them up.
O i had punk hazard moments was just too lazy. He helped take out the dragon,he saved luffy,usopp,zoro and Robin and was the only one not captured at the beginning.

Honestly, I just don't find him that useful. I'm not even talking about battle. Like at least Chopper kept Luffy alive before they could get the antidote to the poison. I don't think Brook has had a moment like that for me since joining. I was hoping that by going with Luffy and Nami he'd finally get a good definitive story moment and he's separated from them already.

All the Strawhats so far have had immediate usefulness to the crew. Zoro is the natural leader when Luffy isn't around. Nami keeps them alive on the seas through her navigation. Usopp is a sniper and helps Nami out by helping make her new weapons. Sanji keeps them alive by cooking them food and necessary diet so they don't starve or get things like scurvy. Chopper is the doctor and heals even non crew members like Nekomata. Frankly built the ship they sail on and makes important gadgets. Robin is the archaeologist and is THE key to Raftel. In the arcs since Thriller Bark I've never found a moment where Brook has use in his role as musician. If there have been then forgive me, but I just find him a boring waste of a character.

Also I seriously thought it was Merman Island for a second. That arc was my least favorite arc since Syrup Village. I initially typed Fishman but couldn't remember if that was the name of the island.

You keep bringing up battle moments but let's be real. SH's are going to win battles. So Brook helping out in battles isn't shocking. I don't find helping in battles useful as far as One Piece is concerned. To me, usefulness is tied to role on the ship.

RomanceDawn

Love that scene of him stopping Sheepshead.

Thank the lordy lord lawd that Brook has some amazing opportunities to shine this arc! Between him dealing with enemies while trying to get a copy of the Poneglyph, dealing with Pedro and Pedro's shady history and the potential for connections with the Vinsmokes I think Brook is absolutely solid this arc! Soul Solid that is!

If the Vinsmokes destroyed Brook's "certain kingdom" and caused that fracture on his head I'd be extremely happy. Well just so long as it's written well of course.

Back during the Laboon flash back I was really confused as to why Brook always had that scar and fracture. We see how Luffy got his scar, how Chopper got his broken antler, why Sanji takes up smoking and why Franky is everything. It was only after Jinbe's flash back did I assume Oda would one day revisit Brook. No way Jinbe went through all those years without that lightning scar being the result of it. Another more personal flashback is coming. Same with Brook. Though I suppose Enies Lobby should have screamed out to me that there would be another Sanji flash back when he talked about being raised to never kick a woman.

What ever the case we've got at least 3 extended Straw Hat flash backs on the horizon. Well 4 actually. Brook and Sanji's will be intertwined somewhat I bet though with decades between them time wise and Jinbe's should be happening now if he is to finally join the crew. Wow, 3 Straw Hat extended flash backs in one arc? I say hell yes!

The 4th is Luffy. There are still things we don't know about Luffy and I don't mean about Goa, it's former king or that Celestial Dragon that made his visit there. Mostly the off panel time between Shanks and Luffy, several times we were given hints about it and we are still left in the dark.

- - -

Cindi, I know Brook's usefulness has come mostly with small fights but with the nature of his job what can we really expect? He'll get his moments. At least he had some great speeches since the crew reunited giving him a lot of presence if you will. Plus Oda promised that one day Bink's Sake would play an important role in the story and I'm pretty sure he wasn't just talking about uniting with Laboon.

Love that scene of him stopping Sheepshead.

Thank the lordy lord lawd that Brook has some amazing opportunities to shine this arc! Between him dealing with enemies while trying to get a copy of the Poneglyph, dealing with Pedro and Pedro's shady history and the potential for connections with the Vinsmokes I think Brook is absolutely solid this arc! Soul Solid that is!

We haven't exactly seen Brook do this. He separated with Pedro in the submarine and that's it.

RomanceDawn

We haven't exactly seen Brook do this. He separated with Pedro in the submarine and that's it.

I'm saying the potential is there, things are already set up and on their way with only half the crew he has to step up.

You keep bringing up battle moments but let's be real. SH's are going to win battles. So Brook helping out in battles isn't shocking. I don't find helping in battles useful as far as One Piece is concerned. To me, usefulness is tied to role on the ship.

Thats a pretty narrow way of looking at things. Fighting is what keeps the crew alive and safe for them to perform their jobs. Luffy is a leader and as captain his role on the ship is say where he wants to go and fight threats. Zoro is a fighter through and through and steps up as acting captain as much as Sanji and Nami has. Fighters are extremely important when you live a life following your own rules with a jolly roger raised.

We as readers knew since Skypiea that Robin had meta potential in developing the whole story line and leading the crew to raftel. It wasn't until this year on Zou did the the crew actually understand this within story. Robin was never useless.

Brook isn't useless.

I'm saying the potential is there, things are already set up and on their way with only half the crew he has to step up.

Thats a pretty narrow way of looking at things. Fighting is what keeps the crew alive and safe for them to perform their jobs. Luffy is a leader and as captain his role on the ship is say where he wants to go and fight threats. Zoro is a fighter through and through and steps up as acting captain as much as Sanji and Nami has. Fighters are extremely important when you live a life following your own rules with a jolly roger raised.

We as readers knew since Skypiea that Robin had meta potential in developing the whole story line and leading the crew to raftel. It wasn't until this year on Zou did the the crew actually understand this within story. Robin was never useless.

Brook isn't useless.

That's fair. I agree there's much potential for Brook this arc. And it's kind of the deciding point for his character for me.

As for Robin, not true. We didn't know the Poneglyphs are a map to Raftel, but they have been said to have knowledge on the weapons as far as Alabasta. Crocodile recruited her specifically for the purpose of reading the Poneglyphs which shows it's a rare and useful commodity. Robin has been useful for that alone since Alabasta. And especially since Enies Lobby.

Brook is a musician. His job is playing music and providing entertainment to a crew that already has the most entertaining captain. I don't think it's narrow minded to think this. All of the crew members usefulness is becoming increasingly obvious, especially in this arc - Zoro's leadership, Robin's archaeology, Franky's building and craftsman skills, Usopp being the sniper and the only one capable of helping beat Sugar, the absence of Sanji resulted in Luffy almost dying of being poisoned because they don't have a dedicated cook anymore, Nami's navigation skills helped them reach Big Mom's territory, Chopper kept Luffy alive when he was on the brink of the death.

And then there's Brook.

When he first joined I thought he was great but now he feels like an odd man out. He almost feels forced and as if he has zero purpose.

RomanceDawn

That's fair. I agree there's much potential for Brook this arc. And it's kind of the deciding point for his character for me.

As for Robin, not true. We didn't know the Poneglyphs are a map to Raftel, but they have been said to have knowledge on the weapons as far as Alabasta. Crocodile recruited her specifically for the purpose of reading the Poneglyphs which shows it's a rare and useful commodity. Robin has been useful for that alone since Alabasta. And especially since Enies Lobby.

Robin has knowledge on 2 ancient weapons and their whereabouts. Not once has it been important for the crew in any way shape or form. Oh it will be eventually but certainly not in the last 14 years since she's been in the crew.

Oh and we knew all along. We weren't told explicitly but we knew since the very ending of Skypiea. Roger mentioned that he would guide the documents all the way to the end or some such. Then there is the fact that speculation about getting to Raftel has been rampant since the meeting with Crocus. Everyone and their mama understood right away that people don't just sail to Raftel, there was some trick to it. These same people(darn near everyone) knew it had to do with the Poneglyphs guiding the way.

It's a useful skill absolutely but not a necessity for living aboard the pirate ship or even making it to Raftel. Even the Roger Pirates managed to get to Raftel and decipher all the Poneglyphs without the skill that Robin has. Luffy even inherited that skill. That's not to downplay Robin because on a meta level that stuff is extremely important for the reader in the mean time.

Brook is a musician. His job is playing music and providing entertainment to a crew that already has the most entertaining captain. I don't think it's narrow minded to think this. All of the crew members usefulness is becoming increasingly obvious, especially in this arc - Zoro's leadership, Robin's archaeology, Franky's building and craftsman skills, Usopp being the sniper and the only one capable of helping beat Sugar, the absence of Sanji resulted in Luffy almost dying of being poisoned because they don't have a dedicated cook anymore, Nami's navigation skills helped them reach Big Mom's territory, Chopper kept Luffy alive when he was on the brink of the death.

And then there's Brook.

When he first joined I thought he was great but now he feels like an odd man out. He almost feels forced and as if he has zero purpose.

I get what you are saying but that is the nature of his primary job, to entertain. He's still a fighter. He is a Straw Hat through and through and the guy Luffy has been requesting since the East Blue. Brook is a musician who entertains and with those same skills of entertainment he can fight. Usopp's primary role is that of a sniper, it's not like he's constantly at work 24/7. How is he any different from Brook?

Yeah Usopp was the only one in that moment to be able to defeat Sugar but how is that any different from Brook saving the others from Jiola/Jora? Because Brook played music and understands the artists soul he was able to trick her and defeat her. He protected the crew with his musical fighting abilities.

Entertainment is a powerful thing and Brook has literal power backing his version of it. But until Brook has to unlock One Eye'd Willy's secret cave by playing the proper notes on an ancient piano organ I guess anything up until then just doesn't count.

Zoro's leadership, the guy who would have gladly let Smoker drown and would rather leave Sanji behind.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Honestly, the most useless Straw Hat is Zoro if we're talking about pure utility. I love him, but he doesn't have any purpose besides fighting, which Luffy can already do better than him.

Luffy - "Captain" (shonen protagonist actually)
Zoro - Fighter
Usopp - Sniper/Lookout/Political figure now
Sanji - Cook
Nami - Navigator
Chopper - Doctor
Robin - "Archaeologist" (the person who has plot shattering knowledge when it is needed)
Franky - Shipwright
Brook - "Musician" (more useful for historical info like Robin, subterfuge/trickery - has helped Straw Hats escape, can use his ghost form to do spy stuff)
Jinbei - ....Wiseman

Honestly, the most useless Straw Hat is Zoro if we're talking about pure utility. I love him, but he doesn't have any purpose besides fighting, which Luffy can already do better than him.

Luffy - "Captain" (shonen protagonist actually)
Zoro - Fighter
Sanji - Cook
Nami - Navigator
Chopper - Doctor
Robin - "Archaeolgist" (the person who has plot shattering knowledge when it is needed)
Franky - Shipwright
Brook - "Musician" (more useful for historical info like Robin, subterfuge/trickery - has helped Straw Hats escape, can use his ghost form to do spy stuff)
Jinbei - ....Wiseman
tumblr_n8b4ttIOXv1tx0eb6o1_500.gif

My man!

Zoro keeps the crew tight and focused when chaos comes. Remember when Luffy and Usopp fought? Zoro stood by the captains decision and acted as a pillar of strength during emotional duress. Multiple times during the series, when things get tough, emotionally and mentally tough, it's Zoro who stays course and gives everyone their courage. You may not agree with Zoro all the time, and I sure don't, but he's definitely the leader the Strawhats need when they most need it and Luffy isn't there or doesn't care. He is the ideal first mate and I think saying he's only useful for fighting under serves and diminishes his role and leadership within the crew.

El Sabroso

zoro is more than just a fighter he is the one who really is on point in what is being a Pirate

Zoro keeps the crew tight and focused when chaos comes. Remember when Luffy and Usopp fought? Zoro stood by the captains decision and acted as a pillar of strength during emotional duress. Multiple times during the series, when things get tough, emotionally and mentally tough, it's Zoro who stays course and gives everyone their courage. You may not agree with Zoro all the time, and I sure don't, but he's definitely the leader the Strawhats need when they most need it and Luffy isn't there or doesn't care. He is the ideal first mate and I think saying he's only useful for fighting under serves and diminishes his role and leadership within the crew.

RomanceDawn

Oh you aren't wrong at all. You are super right. I can add even Zoro making Chopper man up when he was traded over to Foxy's crew. But in comparison to Brook with keeping the ship running? I don't see much difference. Zoro keeps up the morale and has just as easily riled up negative emotions in them with the same type of blunt speak. Brook's role is to keep everyone happy with music and then fight when necessary, I don't see much of a difference. They both keep the ship running by making sure dangerous grand line enemies and hazards don't smash the Sunny to bits.

Shit you wanna talk useless just look at chopper!

Chopper saved Nami's life from a rare forest disease upon his introduction. Brook has never had a giant Chopper Rumble Ball moment. Chopper will undoubtedly save Luffy from a life threatening disease deemed incurable. Chopper helped Luffy out in just the past few chapters when he was poisoned. I'm finding Chopper infinitely more entertaining than Brook in this arc as well and I don't think Brook has a relationship with a Strawhat like how Chopper does with Robin.

Brook wishes he were Chopper. Hopefully Brook does something extremely iconic this arc. He needs this. Come onnnnn, Brook! I'm rooting for you!

Oh you aren't wrong at all. You are super right. I can add even Zoro making Chopper man up when he was traded over to Foxy's crew. But in comparison to Brook with keeping the ship running? I don't see much difference. Zoro keeps up the morale and has just as easily riled up negative emotions in them with the same type of blunt speak. Brook's role is to keep everyone happy with music and then fight when necessary, I don't see much of a difference. They both keep the ship running by making sure dangerous grand line enemies and hazards don't smash the Sunny to bits.

Maybe it's because I've spent more time with Zoro that I feel like this, whereas we've been with Brook for ten years and I don't think he's nearly as resonant. *shrug* It's been ten years and I don't have an emotional connection to Brook besides Binks' Sake.

Magwik

Banned
Yeah I'll chime in that Brook is the most wasted character of the crew. Even during Thriller Bark he was useless and boring. He has no interesting dynamics with anyone aside from maybe Sanji. His fighting style is interesting but he never really gets to do anything.

GhostBed

Yeah I'll chime in that Brook is the most wasted character of the crew. Even during Thriller Bark he was useless and boring. He has no interesting dynamics with anyone aside from maybe Sanji. His fighting style is interesting but he never really gets to do anything.

Fingers crossed that he'll get some memorable moments on his side trip with Pedro. He's proven himself to be very handy thus far in the WCI arc.

I feel like Brook still has some stories he hasn't told or at least some prospective to give to the story since he's 60-70 years older than the rest of the crew. Chopper on the other hand feels like he's been relegated to full time mascot character status. Ever since the time skip it's like Oda decided to double down on "cute" instead of showing him gain some kind of maturity. I'm not even sure if we've seen him use his heavy point form since the skip.

What is this lie?

Time to re-read Thriller Bark, because Brook's best interactions were with Zoro, Franky, and Luffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom