• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
None of the Straw Hats are really useless. I just picked Zoro because he has the least utility, not to say he has none. And even then I'm grabbing at straws, as has been proven.

It's great how Oda tries to give every main character a purpose, but in the end, the Straw Hats are really there to be feelgood adventurers and dreamers. Oh, and to upset the status quo of evil places.

Brook is 90 years old, and knows things that are likely crucial to the plot but haven't been revealed because it's too early.

Just wait, it'll happen.

Yeah I'll chime in that Brook is the most wasted character of the crew. Even during Thriller Bark he was useless and boring. He has no interesting dynamics with anyone aside from maybe Sanji. His fighting style is interesting but he never really gets to do anything.
As thriller bark is my favorite arc can confirm...this is a lie

Sir...SIR!

How dare you badmouth Chopper! I was going to try to squash this beef between us but no more!

NO MORE!
To squash a beef both parties have to be willing...I ain't willing!!!

tumblr_mchdpxGdXa1qft5rao1_400.gif

I feel like Brook still has some stories he hasn't told or at least some prospective to give to the story since he's 60-70 years older than the rest of the crew. Chopper on the other hand feels like he's been relegated to full time mascot character status. Ever since the time skip it's like Oda decided to double down on "cute" instead of showing him gain some kind of maturity. I'm not even sure if we've seen him use his heavy point form since the skip.

I'd say most of the crew members came back worse from the timeskip. Sanji and the love thing (and we got the awful plot point in FI), chopper as the permanent mascot, robin unable to fight for some reason, and both she and nami used just for the physical attributes (with robin sharing a random knowledge moment sometime), etc. I don't know if it's a thing with the arcs we've had but all this issues feel accentuated, like the writing has devolve a lot on that front.

I miss the girl fights, chopper's determination moments, sanji as the sneaky man, etc. I miss the author that made a woman actually win a fight that a "monster trio" man couldn't.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Film Gold Episode 0 was... really pointless and stupid.

They play volleyball and sumo wrestle.

I miss the girl fights, chopper's determination moments, sanji as the sneaky man, etc. I miss the author that made a woman actually win a fight that a "monster trio" man couldn't.

With Sanji away from the latest chapters, we may have something like that in the near future.

And Nami will certainly have a fight this arc, since she received an upgrade on her climatact.

SolVanderlyn

It's a 10 minute promotion special from 711. It wasn't going to be anything captivating. Just like Glorious Island existed to promote the movie.
I thought it might be something substantial like Strong World Episode 0. :/ Oh well.

On another note, in Color Walk 7, Oda had an interview with Masaya Tokuhiro, creator of Jungle King Tar-chan and one of Oda's mentors.

Sandman from AP compiled a full summary of the interview.

- Tokuhiro says it is painful that many people ask him about Oda, not about Tokuhiro himself. (Oda was an assistant of him before he made a debut as mangaka.) Oda feels sorry about it.

- Oda has been sending New Year's cards to Tokuhiro for more than 20 years. In the card, Oda includes much information about how he is getting along.

- Oda worked as an assistant under 3 mangakas (Tokuhiro, Watsuki and Kaitani), but he spent his time most under Tokuhiro. Oda says he learned much from Tokuhiro. Thanks to that, when Oda started working under Watsuki, Oda got praised, "Apparently, you already mastered basic drawing skills!"

- Tokuhiro was a great mentor for Oda regarding drawing boobs.

- Oda has a bright personality and was a life and soul among Tokuhiro's assistants.

- When Oda was an assistant, he already had the idea of creating a pirate manga.

- Oda was impressed at Tokuhiro's great skill of drawing muscles. Tokuhiro kindly gave him a book about body building. (Tokuhiro's hobby is/was body building.) Oda stills owns that book.

- Tokuhiro told Oda that the more mangaka draws in details, the more audience can feel his enthusiasm. Oda always keeps it in mind.

- Many mangakas suffer from callus on fingers due to drawing too much, but Oda has never experienced it before. He says his fingers are soft and squishy

- Oda says ONE PIECE is inspired by many films.

- Tokuhiro said that although there are millions of story patterns, only a few/several of them can really fascinate audience. Oda was shocked to hear that and wasn't able to believe, but as he has been building up his career as mangaka, Oda came to realize it.

- The camera work of ONE PIECE was influenced by the manga titled "ふんどし刑事ケンちゃんチャコちゃん" (meaning "Loincloth Detective Ken-chan and Chako-chan") , which was made by Tokuhiro. Oda was impressed that Tokuhiro's camera work eloquently expressed his characters' emotions.

- When Oda was an assistant of Tokuhiro, Oda drew a panel in which many people gather. Oda gladly submitted the drawing, but later he was shocked that the face shapes of the people he drew were exactly the same. Oda regretted it, but he has been hesitating to confess it for more than 20 years.

(Greg amazingly predicted the contents of Oda's confession!!)
https://twitter.com/ochimusha108/sta...66133379223554

- Since this blunder, Oda made an effort to draw various kinds of face shapes. He says it was a turning point in his career. He believes ONE PIECE became popular thanks to that blunder panel. Oda says it is important to create manga characters so that audience can distinguish them just by seeing the silhouettes.

Squishy3

- When Oda was an assistant of Tokuhiro, Oda drew a panel in which many people gather. Oda gladly submitted the drawing, but later he was shocked that the face shapes of the people he drew were exactly the same. Oda regretted it, but he has been hesitating to confess it for more than 20 years.

This explains Zoro and Doflamingo then, he thought nobody would notice since they're never on the same panel!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The panel in question from Greg's twitter.

ClWV46pUYAIbU63.jpg

Now watch as someone tries to argue "But every woman looks like Nami and Robin!"
This isn't really the same thing, and if some people weren't Spee D. Readers, they could tell the slight differences between characters.

Veelk

Banned
Now watch as someone tries to argue "But every woman looks like Nami and Robin!"
This isn't really the same thing, and if some people weren't Spee D. Readers, they could tell the slight differences between characters.

I acknowledge the slight differences, but they are miniscule in comparison to the major variations that male characters receive. And I certainly think that there is an argument 90% of female bodies are identical. Outliers are gonk looking women like Big Mom or weird ones like Perona, but otherwise every woman has the same exaggerated hourglass figure, while males have significant body variation between them, sometimes to the point where they barely look human.

Besides, if you need to pay special attention to female characters distinctions while you can tell the distinction between makes at a glance, then you've sort of proved your own counterargument.

Now watch as everyone tries to shut this conversation down because it points out a problematic aspect of OP concerning women.

I feel like Brook still has some stories he hasn't told or at least some prospective to give to the story since he's 60-70 years older than the rest of the crew. Chopper on the other hand feels like he's been relegated to full time mascot character status. Ever since the time skip it's like Oda decided to double down on "cute" instead of showing him gain some kind of maturity. I'm not even sure if we've seen him use his heavy point form since the skip.

Chopper is a doctor. In almost every arc since the timeskip he's been crucial in some way

SolVanderlyn

Sanji is at his best when cooking, smoking, kicking, or sneaking. Also he seems to be the second most knowledgeable member of the crew, after Robin.

His woman thing is funny in moderation. Post timeskip it became his character. I'm so glad this arc is happening, lol. Two people I feel the timeskip has treated really well are Usopp and Brook. They went from weaklings to substantial members of the crew. Brook even got a true one on one fight in Fishman Island when not everyone else did. Soul release and ice powers are cool too, pun intended.

Sanji is at his best when cooking, smoking, kicking, or sneaking. Also he seems to be the second most knowledgeable member of the crew, after Robin.

His woman thing is funny in moderation. Post timeskip it became his character. I'm so glad this arc is happening, lol
We needed this arc Sol...No we deserved it lol

Absolutely shocked at the negative fan reaction to the latest chapter. It was such an adventure and full of danger. This is why I read One Piece! I mean, I read it for a lot of reasons but adventure and character interactions is probably number one. People were disappointed at the lack of shocking revelations when One Piece is at its heart an adventure comic. This arc (from Zou to current) may end up being my favorite in the series if it's pulled off well. So mysterious and like you're heading into dangerous territory with little clues as to what's ahead.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Ya know I never really had much of an opinion about Sanji, I thought he was kinda cool I guess.

With the shenanigans in here over the past months I am pretty sure I hate him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom