• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard the movie doesn't fit into the current timeline because Sabo supposedly already have his fire powers and Sanji is in the crew.

Edit: lol Sanji is looking like Shizuo from Durarara

I heard the movie doesn't fit into the current timeline because Sabo supposedly already have his fire powers and Sanji is in the crew.
I'm sure none of the movies really "fit" per se they always jusy have lil canon details thrown in like seeing someone for the first time or lil things like that

I'm sure none of the movies really "fit" per se they always jusy have lil canon details thrown in like seeing someone for the first time or lil things like that
Yeah, I don't count them as canon, but the only movie I watched was Strong World but it could be placed between Thriller Bark and Sabaody. I initially assumed this could be placed between Punk Hazard and Dressrosa.

Yeah, I don't count them as canon, but the only movie I watched was Strong World but it could be placed between Thriller Bark and Sabaody. I initially assumed this could be placed between Punk Hazard and Dressrosa.
Yea I suppose film Z can be placed between fishman island and punk hazard as well

Even if you fit Strong World between TB and Sabaody, there's still lingering contradictions that don't work, like Brook mentioning that fight against the Flying Fish Riders was his first battle as a Straw Hat or Zoro being in top fighting condition right after Thriller Bark.

Still no US announcement for Film Gold.

*Cries in corner
Thank 4kids, One piece is a hit anywhere in world the 4kids dub didn't touch(pretty much countries that don't speak english).

Well actually

http://onepiecepodcast.com/2016/04/04/funimation-new-one-piece-seasons/

Sounds like they plan on bringing it to theaters after supporting the Japan theaters release as well as bringing over 3d2y to DVD and seemingly they have the rights all the way up too the first half of dressrosa

Cwarrior

Doesn't the One piece TV special Heart of Gold come out tonight?? or will crunchyroll have it on Saturday or Sunday.

Well actually

http://onepiecepodcast.com/2016/04/04/funimation-new-one-piece-seasons/

Sounds like they plan on bringing it to theaters after supporting the Japan theaters release as well as bringing over 3d2y to DVD and seemingly they have the rights all the way up too the first half of dressrosa

Well it's acutally screening in Germany,france,italy,belgium,switzerland,luxembourg and Dubai........while there nothing for the UK and America.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Watching random clips and aaw one of the new wanted posters (I assume this is the same as the manga) and Usopp has the third highest bounty in the crew now, lolwhut?

Poor sanji ;_;

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I love watching random clips.

I can't keep up with the anime anymore, too much of a time investment. But I like waiting for certain scenes to be animated.

I love watching random clips.

I can't keep up with the anime anymore, too much of a time investment. But I like waiting for certain scenes to be animated.

I don't watch the anime anymore, takes too much time, has too much fillers... Now just the weekly scans are more than enough. And of course I buy the manga when it is released here(France).

If it's not in the manga it isn't canon simple as. Things that Oda does for things like movie scripts or comments in SBS are semi canon in that they expand understanding of the One Piece universe but are not part of the One Piece story.

Ray Down

Banned
Anyone see the Heart of Gold special?

If it's not in the manga it isn't canon simple as. Things that Oda does for things like movie scripts or comments in SBS are semi canon in that they expand understanding of the One Piece universe but are not part of the One Piece story.

Pretty much, now the chapters Oda release are canon like the One piece chapter 0 and the Z one.

I bring you guys another interview courtesy of sandman from AP once again. This time, it's with Oda's editors.

- Oda defeated editor Asada in his studio via 3D fighting video game called "Bushido Blade" 20 times about 15 years ago. Oda doesn't cut corners even in games.

- Oda recently plays smartphone apps. He sometimes watches his assistants playing video games.
According to Oda, trendy games can stimulate his creativity. Oda says, "I'm loyal to new trends. I'm kind of a guy who can enjoy all new trends."

- Oda and editor Hattori got excited over talking about "Prison Break", especially about the scene in which
Brad Bellick, who had been a villain in Season 1, devoted his life to saving protagonists in Season 4.
Oda says, "That scene was exactly a Shounen manga-ish, right? As expected, Shounen manga might be the best medium to entertain people."

- Oda recommended some editors to watch "Young Gun".

- Oda rarely reads novels. Even after an editor recommends a novel to him, Oda reads only the page that the editor specified.
Editor Isaka wonders why Oda has so many vocabularies in manga despite not reading novels. Other editors answers that probably Oda's vocabularies are based on films, Rakugo and music.

- Oda basically loves soul music.

- Before a meeting, Oda often asks an editor, "Have you experienced anything interesting this week?"

- Editor Habuta compares Oda to Formula One car which keeps working hard.

- Before Oda started the serialization of ONE PIECE, he already drew many color spreads as training. He enjoyed it since he loves drawing.

- Oda says to editor Kawashima, "Die for ONE PIECE." Kawashima was shocked and moved to hear that, thinking "Oda is really determined to die for ONE PIECE."

- Editor Onishi had an email address that started "gintama-" since he was responsible for Gintama.
Oda asked him "Why is your email address about Gintama?" 5 seconds after hearing about it, Onishi changed it into "ONE PIECE 1ban-" (meaning "ONE PIECE is the best" in Japanese).

- After hearing about the finale of ONE PIECE from Oda, editor Hattori realized again that the story of ONE PIECE is awesome.
(All editors of ONE PIECE are supposed to be informed of the finale by Oda as an initiation.)

Veelk

Banned
- Oda rarely reads novels. Even after an editor recommends a novel to him, Oda reads only the page that the editor specified.
Editor Isaka wonders why Oda has so many vocabularies in manga despite not reading novels. Other editors answers that probably Oda's vocabularies are based on films, Rakugo and music.
I always found the dialogue of OP to be pretty strange. At first I thought it was just a cultural barrier, but I haven't seen speech patterns like OP's elsewhere either. Specifically, a lot of yelled out phrases trail off with elipses. Elipses usually indicate something like an incomplete sentence, but I've never heard anyone trail off yelling.

Doflamingo said:
The prestige and stature that rightfully belonged to me...!! One day, my father abandoned all of it, and our family of four was brought down into this garbage dump of a world!! Spouting crap like we need to "live like real humans"...?! He was such a stupid, foolish father...!!

But if he mostly just learned how to write dialogue from pure audio sources, maybe it makes more sense to write things like that. But then again, he reads plenty of manga and I don't see a lot of them doing stuff like that.

Anyone have more information on OP's speech patterns? There's a lot written on how OP is translated, but I've never seen anyone talk about that specifically

I always found the dialogue of OP to be pretty strange. At first I thought it was just a cultural barrier, but I haven't seen speech patterns like OP's elsewhere either. Specifically, a lot of yelled out phrases trail off with elipses. Elipses usually indicate something like an incomplete sentence, but I've never heard anyone trail off yelling.

But if he mostly just learned how to write dialogue from pure audio sources, maybe it makes more sense to write things like that. But then again, he reads plenty of manga and I don't see a lot of them doing stuff like that.

Anyone have more information on OP's speech patterns? There's a lot written on how OP is translated, but I've never seen anyone talk about that specifically

One Piece generally has pirate vocabulary in its Japanese version. Different mangas have different dialect. In Naruto it's ninja vocab for instance. I dunno.

From the official translation:

When Sanji is arguing with his father, the line he says is a bit less vague than the scanlations. He says "I have a father... but it's not you!", and I just think that's such an awesome line. It's great to see how much Sanji really cares about Zeff.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I do hope when we eventually get the Roger flashback (I assume we'll get a nice long one) we'll get to see old guys like Zeff show up in it as well.

Man do I hope so. Hell I'd love if Oda did a spinoff of the a few chapters of the seas during Roger's time.

bjork

Imagine knowing the finale of OP and being unable to discuss it with the people around you. Seems like torture.

I would love to know, even if I had to keep it under wraps no matter what. What if I don't live long enough to see this series to its end?

dabig2

Yea pretty much already assumed that. Nice confirmation. What if he tells his father about zeff and they go and kill him tho....

Well, Zeff and co. already have targets on their backs from Big Mom prying around his life. I wonder how Oda will resolve that hostage crisis (which it technically is), because if Luffy is successful, will Big Mom and/or Sanji's family seek petty vengeance on the Baratie boys for the non-wedding and Sanji not joining her crew?

Speaking of Baratie and Sanji, I'm still hoping that Gin somehow makes his comeback to the story this arc.

Ray Down

Banned
Speaking of long time, today one piece was published in WSJ 19 years ago.

restart-op.jpg

Happy Birthday OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom