• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The Strawhat Pirates have, as of yet, not laid claim to any land as their own, so they're just perpetually crashing at one friend's place or another like the bums they are, if they're not sleeping in their vehicle.

Not all pirates are homeless, but Sanji is. And I guess the other strawhats too, but Sanji is the one worth insulting.

Eh People that choose to live in Caravans aren't considered homeless. Travellers maybe but no homeless. So nah pirates aren't homeless. They're often commiting treason against whatever country their from but not homeless.

So.... Luffy has to win this one... Right?

Could go either ay but I'm leaning on yes for this one.

So.... Luffy has to win this one... Right?
I think he will receive a powerup during the battle (awakening) and that will allow him to tie and escape.

I don't see him winning after seeing how he performed against Cracker. At most, I would be somewhat fine with a Luffy v Lucci type situation.

Ogodei

Pirates aren't committing treason against their homeland unless they target their homeland's shipping. They started out as privateers, people hired by their governments to target other countries' shipping, but then when the privateer contract wore out and they were cut loose they had to keep acting without any sovereign authority behind them, but their old sponsor would simply wash their hands of them unless they turned on their own shipping.

caliph95

Pirates aren't committing treason against their homeland unless they target their homeland's shipping. They started out as privateers, people hired by their governments to target other countries' shipping, but then when the privateer contract wore out and they were cut loose they had to keep acting without any sovereign authority behind them, but their old sponsor would simply wash their hands of them unless they turned on their own shipping.
Kinda different when only the warlords are privateers in OP

Wish there were more besides warlords in OP even if it makes little sense

Though it makes no sense for them to limit it to seven

Ogodei

They seem to have trouble finding seven who won't betray them, so that's probably why.

caliph95

They seem to have trouble finding seven who won't betray them, so that's probably why.
Probably because they accept any asshole that buys them a nice meal

Plus privateers were more like mercenaries than criminals who want to do whatever they want to

LotusHD

Banned
Meh, as we've seen with Robin, Oda already gave up trying to use his creative muscle with women's fighting abilities in One Piece so yeah, probably won't get a fight. Either way, hoping for something, even if it's some basic combat skills developed just by being one of Big Mom's daughters, or maybe Lola's influence, etc.

She just needs to do literally anything remotely impressive.

Meh, as we've seen with Robin, Oda already gave up trying to use his creative muscle with women's fighting abilities in One Piece so yeah, probably won't get a fight. Either way, hoping for something, even if it's some basic combat skills developed just by being one of Big Mom's daughters, or maybe Lola's influence, etc.

Is she not popular in Pixiv, for example?
I disagree here just because robin is trash tier doesn't mean everybody else has been

Robin hasn't done much of anything. Nami has,tashigi has,monet has,sugar,Rebecca,viola,jora,baby 5,Amande,

We've seen some cool abilities from the women one of them just caused a small scale controversy from the fanbase. Robin in particular just hasn't done much of anything combat wise or story wise imo

JohnDoe

Banned
I think he will receive a powerup during the battle (awakening) and that will allow him to tie and escape.

I don't see him winning after seeing how he performed against Cracker. At most, I would be somewhat fine with a Luffy v Lucci type situation.

Idk man.... Cracker's ability was bullshit though.
And let's not forget that even Katakuri ain't shit compared to Big Mom. I want more progress from Luffy. This is the guy who beat Crocodile after Arlong and Mr. 3.

LotusHD

Banned
Im just ignoring the Cracker fughht, because his DF was indeed BS.

I disagree here just because robin is trash tier doesn't mean everybody else has been

Robin hasn't done much of anything. Nami has,tashigi has,monet has,sugar,Rebecca,viola,jora,baby 5,Amande,

We've seen some cool abilities from the women one of them just caused a small scale controversy from the fanbase. Robin in particular just hasn't done much of anything combat wise or story wise imo

Carrot has also shown off a little. Speaking of Baby 5, man her powers were cool.

I don't think it's been established that it has to be seven, there just is. Same with the Yonkou.

My question is how does Mihawk count as a pirate instead of just a really strong guy. Without any further ambition besides honing his craft why would he even bother?

LotusHD

Banned
How do I forget carrot lotus...take my carrot for Nakama card you lead the pack now

I thought I already was... :(

I don't think it's been established that it has to be seven, there just is. Same with the Yonkou.

My question is how does Mihawk count as a pirate instead of just a really strong guy. Without any further ambition besides honing his craft why would he even bother?

Mihawk may have just asked to join the group, because he wanted those benefits.

caliph95

Mohawk did hang around Shania

But more than likely he became a warlord to do whatever he wants in his case to live in peace and getting to fight whoever he wants

Ray Down

Banned
Government probably asked Mihawk if he could just join even if he wasen't a pirate cause just having the idea of the world strongest swordsman coming after you is enough to intimidate some people even if he was a pirate or not.

I would expect the government in OP would strongly tend towards you're either with us, or against us. Either he becomes a shichibukai, or he ends up with a bounty and has to deal with pests coming after him.

Ray Down

Banned

Is she not popular in Pixiv, for example?

Oda does, just not in physical ways really unless your a giant like Big Mom who not pretty.

If you are pretty and have more physical abilities you won't do much, like Rebecca or Tashigi and become irrelevant.

And no there's not a lot on Pixiv.

caliph95

Government probably asked Mihawk if he could just join even if he wasen't a pirate cause just having the idea of the world strongest swordsman coming after you is enough to intimidate some people.
He has no reason to decline anyway besides having to occasionally go on meetings or fight (which he probably wants to do anyway since they would likely only send him for the strong guys)

He gets tons of benefits

LotusHD

Banned
Mihawk on that pirate 401k plan

��Hmmm you are right my friend

It's okay, we can be co-captains lol

tumblr_ombnn7FhYN1rcufwuo2_540.gif

I like how Katakuri is a bit more endearing than your run-of-the-mill new shonen character who stands around looking badass because he actually cares for his family and is just really pragmatic. Which is funny because he has one expression and virtually no mouth.

DB Super has that Jiren guy going for the same appeal and it's like...snore.

LotusHD

Banned
So we not picking a new title, or...

I like how Katakuri is a bit more endearing than your run-of-the-mill new shonen character who stands around looking badass because he actually cares for his family and is just really pragmatic. Which is funny because he has one expression and virtually no mouth.

DB Super has that Jiren guy going for the same appeal and it's like...snore.

One of the best parts of this arc for sure is that BM's crew is so great, infinitely more engaging than Doffy's crappy crew. Even with his crew having a few sympathetic or cool members, overall they lacked cohesion and despite Doffy saying they're a family (Though he is the type of person to gaslight and manipulate, so meh), you don't get that sense at all. Whereas w/ the BM Pirates, they're all scared as fuck of Big Mom, but her aside, they work together pretty damn well and have moments where they do express concern for one another.

But yea, they're my favorite antagonist group so far I believe.

So we not picking a new title, or...

One of the best parts of this arc for sure is that BM's crew is so great, infinitely more engaging than Doffy's crappy crew. Even with his crew having a few sympathetic or cool members, overall they lacked cohesion and despite Doffy saying they're a family (Though he is the type of person to gaslight and manipulate, so meh), you don't get that sense at all. Whereas w/ the BM Pirates, they're all scared as fuck of Big Mom, but her aside, they work together pretty damn well and have moments where they do express concern for one another.

But yea, they're my favorite antagonist group so far I believe.

Makes me wonder about Kaido's crew. Being related to each other gives the BM Pirates an easy connection but Kaido feels like he gets a fuckton of guys together to down some fruits.

I expect it to be more scattershot but I hope there are some standouts.

LotusHD

Banned
Makes me wonder about Kaido's crew. Being related to each other gives the BM Pirates an easy connection but Kaido feels like he gets a fuckton of guys together to down some fruits.

I expect it to be more scattershot but I hope there are some standouts.

Good point, very curious to see their relationship. Also here's to hoping Queen is a badass female character.

I didn't shut it down just was like meh like Imperial and the thread forgot about title changing and the thread moved on.

I thought my title was fine, others seemed to like it. :(

Just because he was weak against Cracker doesn't mean much. Luffy had more difficulty with Crocodile compared to Enel, despite the latter being much stronger than the former.

Ogodei

I feel like they pick people for Shichibukai to buy them off mostly. Some of them have services that they can actually render to the government, some are just annoyances that you offer clemency for because they're not a priority for the WG to destroy (like, you wouldn't give Dragon clemency), but are powerful enough to be a headache if you don't do something to get them on-side.

Most of them are on board for that reason: Boa, Mihawk, Jinbe, Weevil, and Buggy are people who aren't a direct threat to the WG but could be very annoying to Vice Admiral and Admiral class people if they weren't kept on-side (less so Buggy, but he helps them cover up the Impel Down breakout by keeping the escapees on a leash).

Kuma's a special case. As a revolutionary he wouldn't get clemency but it seems like Vegapunk specifically wanted to experiment on him, and the WG agreed when they understood the experiments would end with getting rid of Kuma's free will.

Doflamingo blackmailed his way into the group with whatever secret knowledge he holds about Mariejoa.

Only Moria, Law, and Crocodile were recruited for services they could provide, in each case they were pirate hunters (Law snatching hearts, Moria lurking in the Florian Triangle to capture strong pirates for their shadows, and Croc's Baroque Works serving as a bounty hunter dragnet for the Paradise side of Grand Line). Weevil might fall into this category as we learn more about him, if his mission specifically was to wipe out the Whitebeard remnant.

Ray Down

Banned
I forgot about Weevil, man the last shikibukai was so hyped up people expected a badass looking character and then we get him looking like human walrus and people were pissed especially when he had the claim of being Whitebeards son.

I actually liked his design since its unexpected and kinda goofy which I don't know I swear people forget OP can be stupid goofy at points. But the guy a monster wiping out all the remnants so I expect him to somehow show up in Wano.

Top Bottom