• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Big Mom doesn't know the gift was a bomb...at least now yet. No reason for her to know now. The castle is coming down, screw everything else.

He seemed to match her in strength while in Gear 4, so he'll probably need to figure out how to awaken his powers to start taking down the Yonko. The raw power is probably almost there, he just needs a little something more and that might come in the next arc.

BM hardly looked like she put any effort into that punch.

LotusHD

Banned

What's the point if she doesn't show off her third eye.

That Stussy reveal was something for sure. Great chapter.

This has really been an incredible arc.

Best TS arc yet.

Running away hype!!!

Lmao, only in One Piece is running away the more exciting thing to see.

In case you folks missed it, here are the 10 projects that are in the work for #OP20th

Ok, but where's my new video game

And finally, after six years of waiting, the Tamatebako fulfills its purpose.
This is a more satisfying usage for it since not only will BM be pissed off that her precious gift was a bomb, but it's also the team's ticket to bail.
The explosion was massive compared to the Whole Cake chateau.
If the explosives went off in the Ryugu Palace, half of the palace would be gone. Talk about overkill, Ministers! Jeez!

Yea... I dunno why I kept thinking it'd be some small explosion lol

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This arc was a clever way of showing who Big Mom is and what her home turf is while setting up a confrontation on Elbaf. It's not time to defeat her yet, but she was the only Yonko without a real face until this arc, which is fixed now.

That's my take on it anyway.

Blackhead

Redarse
goddam Big Mom lives up to the hype. Like I don't see how Straw Hats can beat a Yonko without another Luffy power up. Big Mom was single-handedly holding down Luffy, Sanji and co without her subordinates even getting a scratch, leaving them to snipe from the edges. Unless the Straw Hats alliance can isolate Kaido, then overwhelm him, I don't see how they win. Very excited for what comes next.

p.s. was Pudding in this chapter?

IHaveIce

Banned
That and its Mangastream too, take it with a grain of salt.

Wait till Jaime and Viz.

I'll wait for my german translation.

Viz sucks balls and translated Nekomamushi and Inurashi.. also Zolo.

Though it doesn't seem to be a mangastream thing.. they would have done "talking about that fucker?"

LotusHD

Banned
This arc was a clever way of showing who Big Mom is and what her home turf is while setting up a confrontation on Elbaf. It's not time to defeat her yet, but she was the only Yonko without a real face until this arc, which is fixed now.

That's my take on it anyway.

She did all of this so Smoothie can fight Zoro one day. Or Amande, whichever works.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
goddam Big Mom lives up to the hype. Like I don't see how Straw Hats can beat a Yonko without another Luffy power up. Big Mom was single-handedly holding down Luffy, Sanji and co without her subordinates even getting a scratch, leaving them to snipe from the edges. Unless the Straw Hats alliance can isolate Kaido, then overwhelm him, I don't see how they win. Very excited for what comes next.

p.s. was Pudding in this chapter?

We know there's another power-up for Luffy out there right now: devil fruit awakening. It's just a matter of what Luffy's entails and how he gets it.

Cover for "One Piece Novel 'A'" drawn by Katsuya Terada.
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD-42oUUAAAz3vH.jpg:large[/IMG]

Clean version:
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD-5p25UQAAEf3L.jpg:large[/IMG]

First part of a special Straw Hat poster
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD-3QufVoAASomU.jpg:large[/IMG]

Fishman Island cast and denizen sketches:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/yVkiKjc.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Dz2LcaZ.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Yp0cyJv.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/5EMuhef.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/a6qOjWh.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/86sjrzH.jpg[/IMG]

Masked Deuce, Ace's first crewmate:
Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgbox.com/umyUSFqa.jpg[/IMG]

Inside of Mohmoo:
Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgbox.com/1Dczml2L.jpg[/IMG]

Sandman's summarization of Novel 'A':
A guy has been eager to write an adventure essay like "Brag Men" (seen in Ohara). He is now incapable of escaping from a too beautiful desert island called "SIXIS" located in East Blue.
The current around the island is pretty irregular that nobody can escape.

When he is talking to a skeleton next to him, he finds that someone else joining the conversation without realizing it. This is the first moment when "he" and Ace talk.
Ace says politely, "Nice to meet you." The man thinks Ace is about the same age as him.
He considers Ace comes to the island to rescue him, but the fact is that Ace is also a victim due to his ship wrecked.
The man is annoyed that Ace is smiling cheerfully in spite of this predicaments.
The man has spent 3 days on the island, whereas Ace 6 days. Ace says, "How about creating a raft with me?"

Both Ace and the guy are seeking for a treasure which is said to be hidden in the island.
Ace keep asking the man about his name, but the man doesn't want to tell him about it since he has already thrown away his own name on the day he set out to ocean.
Ace says, "We are already friends, right?" (exactly the same words when Luffy invited Usopp to Going Merry). The man tries introducing his pen name as "Ace" borrowing Ace's name,
but Ace prevents and suggests him to make his pen name Deuce since he thinks the pronunciations are similar.
The man doesn't feel bad since the meaning of Deuce being "bad luck" fits into his current situation.
Ace decides to call him "Masked Deuce" since the guy wears a mask so that Marine don't notice his face.

Deuce was a medical student with bad grades. His parents are indifferent to him. He just wants to have an adventure and doesn't want to be a wanted man.
Ace and Deuce talk about their family. Ace mentions Luffy in the talk with smile. Deuce happens to say, "If someone's father were Roger, I'm sure he'd rather die."
Ace suddenly becomes quiet and shows a very serious facial expressions, which makes Deuce realize that Ace is the real son of Pirate King.
Deuce walks off with mixed feelings, telling Ace not to talk to him anymore.

Several days passes. Ace fails to escape from the island with his ship wrecked. "I can't die in such a place...!"
He is not in a positive mood anymore. Deuce tries to find food and water, but in vain.

One day, Deuce finds Ace grabbing a large fruit in his hand on a beach.
Deuce is hungry and comes to the conclusion that there is no problem even if he kills Ace since Ace is a son of a legendary criminal.
Right before he attacks Ace with a tree branch, Deuce's stomach growls. Ace notices him and considers that Deuce comes to help him make a boat.
Ace offers him to eat the fruit, but Deuce rejects it due to the feeling of guilty for trying to kill him.

Deuce finally realizes that Ace is a nice person despite him being the son of Pirate King. As a result, they decide to share the fruit.
Deuce feels it is the most terrible -but delicious at the same time- food that he has ever eaten. Deuce turns around and finds Ace burning!
Both of them are surprised at Ace's burning body. The fruit they ate is Mera Mera no mi.

After several days, Ace is capable of controlling his fire. Deuce calls the ship "Striker" which moves forward by rotating plates with the help of fire.
Deuce says it was a fake rumor that a treasure is hidden in the island. Ace answers with a smile, "Not sure.."
Ace reaches his hand toward Deuce and says, "You'll come with me, right?" Deuce replies, "I can write a good adventure essay with you."
They shake hands tightly. Ace declares, "I'm gonna go beyond Pirate King!" Thus, Spade Pirates was born.

Booooy, that was a lot of stuff. Major props to redon, Sandman, and Scotch Informer

TTOOLL

We will have another time skip, won't we? There's no way Luffy can defeat a Yonku at the moment or in the near future....

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I guess if you share a DF only the first person to eat it gets its power. Huh.

I'm shocked Sol isn't more upset that his boy Ichiji got owned by Katakuri.

We will have another time skip, won't we? There's no way Luffy can defeat a Yonku at the moment or in the near future....

I still firmly believe that Blackbeard will be the only one that Luffy takes down on his own.
Kaido and Big Mom will be team effort takedowns with the assistance of numerous allies.

SolVanderlyn

I'm shocked Sol isn't more upset that his boy Ichiji got owned by Katakuri.
Even I know the Vinsmokes are nowhere near his level. His bounty is over one billion!

Ichiji is probably somewhere equal to or slightly above Sanji (with his raid suit on)

We always knew that. You don't have to eat the entire thing, just one bite suffices.
Yeah but I always assumed the other person would have something happen to them for some reason, or that this sharing scenario would never occur. I guess I'm thinking back to the scene explaining what happens if you eat two fruits and explode, haha.

Ichiji is probably somewhere equal to or slightly above Sanji (with his raid suit on)
laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

Get them scrubs outta here
More disappointing than Mingos crew

SolVanderlyn

laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

Get them scrubs outta here
More disappointing than Mingos crew
I get the feeling he's stronger than Judge or Niji, and definitely stronger than Yonji.

I don't have any definitive proof, but being the eldest son, having a uniquely colored cape, and acting like Judge's model soldier all give that impression. Katakuri isn't exactly a fair measure of strength as he would have punked 99% of characters we've seen so far. He got a hit in, at least.

SGRNFjl.gif

Bam.

Edit: We finally got to see his powers, too. It looks like they're explosive based. The kanji for his attack in this panel read Firework, and looking at his belt buckle, which is a flower (Hana in Japanese, fireworks are Hanabi) reaffirms this for me

I get the feeling he's stronger than Judge or Niji, and definitely stronger than Yonji.

I don't have any definitive proof, but being the eldest son, having a uniquely colored cape, and acting like Judge's model soldier all give that impression. Katakuri isn't exactly a fair measure of strength as he would have punked 99% of characters we've seen so far
Idk man they've all been huge disappointments. My expectations were way too high

Does he even have haki that panel tells me no

SolVanderlyn

Idk man they've all been huge disappointments. My expectations were way too high

Does he even have haki that panel tells me no
Just like Big Mom, I doubt we're done with the Germa after this. Although I agree, I expected more out of them too. Niji in particular had something really cool going with his electric version of Sanji's fire kick

I mean, none of Big Mom's top crew members are even hut or scratched at this point. In the future when the Strawhats face Big Mom again, the other Cracker and the other commander that was taken out are most likely going to be joining the fray. I can't even begin to imagine who the hell would take them all on.

Veelk

Banned
I'm just glad they weren't trash like Doffy's crew was. Well, Smoothie could do more, but yea.

Among the greater disappointments, Smoothie almost slipped through the cracks.

She did nothing the entire arc. One of the top warriors of the top forces in the entire world. And she did nothing. I can see Amande being cast to the sidelines, since she's supposed to be a lesser minion, but Smoothie?

God damn this arc and it's wasted potential.

SolVanderlyn

Smoothie had her terrifying few panels of wringing juice out of horrified victims

Among the greater disappointments, Smoothie almost slipped through the cracks.

She did nothing the entire arc. One of the top warriors of the top forces in the entire world. And she did nothing. I can see Amande being cast to the sidelines, since she's supposed to be a lesser minion, but Smoothie?

God damn this arc and it's wasted potential.
This isn't "the" Big Mom arc, it's a side story. This chapter confirmed that. Cracker was the only real battle in the arc so far, most of the rest have been one-sided beatdowns from Big Mom's side or stalling for time.

I guess they defeated Brulee too.

Edit: Combined with Zou, it kinda reminds me of Water 7 in that way. Lots of world building and plot stuff, Straw Hats getting rekt for the most part, buildup for future arcs, focus on a singular crew member.

I mean a lot of her crew didn't do much which is why I don't know why ppl expected some all out brawl. We were introduced to everyone,we know their personalities and powers now, we know what we're up against. What ever arc the big mom pirates go down will be when they shine. It's a better punk hazard when you think about it

Veelk

Banned
This isn't "the" Big Mom arc, it's a side story. This chapter confirmed that. Cracker was the only real battle in the arc so far, most of the rest have been one-sided beatdowns from Big Mom's side or stalling for time.

I guess they defeated Brulee too.

Edit: Combined with Zou, it kinda reminds me of Water 7 in that way. Lots of world building and plot stuff, Straw Hats getting rekt for the most part, focus on a singular crew member.

Even viewed from the perspective of a side story, we still have Katakuri doing stuff. I wouldn't be complaining if Smoothie's participation was on par with his or Cracker's, but it's not. She's just relegated to the side line, for literally no reason (you know, aside from the obvious one), while the entire wedding brawl is happening around her, doing nothing for no goddamn reason. If Oda was going to move past his stupid tendencies, this is the arc in which it would have happened in.

No. As of now, all this arc has done is soured the small amount of goodwill it built up. It doesn't make me excited for what happens next. The only thing I'm thinking now, not just of Big Mom, but anything that Oda has set up, is how it's going to disappoint me. Not even mysteries that intrigued me before, like the void century, have the same pull. It's Oda. It's One Piece. I'm not going to get a satisfying conclusion.

It's funny. I was fine studying this series in a detached, clinical manner, dissecting it like a dead frog on a table in science class. But the moment I get actual emotional investment, something a story is meant to do, it just turns out to be a slap in the face. All the arguments I've had with you guys about OP, those that like me and those that don't, countlessly suggesting I stop reading if I see so much wrong with the manga, it's this arc, the one whose first half I legitimately liked, that presented the best argument I've ever heard for dropping this series.

SolVanderlyn

Sanji > the bros.
No arguments there, Sanji is definitely a better character for the time we spend with him, his role as a good guy, etc. I still love the Vinsmokes for the role they play, though. Same way I loved Enel as a villain, but not as a person.

I took out the other person you mentioned because nobody likes them anyway

Veelk

Banned
Yeah yeah yeah, we get it. You're just endlessly repeating yourself at this point. You set yourself up for something and it didn't happen. Too bad so sad.

Well, technically, I hadn't talked about Smoothie, which is why I felt compelled to write about her.

Also, it's not like it was just me. People, including you, were talking excitedly about how this was potentially going to be the first arc where a strawhat gets actual character development and has to learn to view women differently.

But, yeah, fine. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here. Just because I didn't like doesn't mean I have to force that to be the talking point when most others liked it. I just find it egregious how this arc took every wrong turn it possibly could and wanted to express that. And now I did.

Onto Reverie, I guess. Whoo.

But, Veelk. you can't leave. We might end up having non-circular discussions that aren't about minor female characters again!

...I'm just gonna say this. If I were to write a post about the shitty depiction of women in Bleach or Naruto, I don't think I'd have been met with NEARLY as much resistance to that statement as I was with the OP fandom. We'll see when I get around to talking about that in my Naruto reread, but by and large, my experience is that the fandom seems to acknowledge and accept this flaw as real and meaningful, even if they liked the series. But not One Piece fans. (#NotAllOPFans and all that, but there were several of you). No matter how I went about it, no matter how nicely I said it or how much evidence I provided or how blatant that evidence was, there was always atleast one person trying to dismiss it as nothing, one way or another.

You want to blame me for all the posts, well I have to take credit that I did keep the conversation going when it could have died out, sure. But I only kept it going because otherwise the last word would have been a denial that there was any problem at all. Well, that's bullshit and I refused to let the point go, while everyone refused to see the point and that's why it became circular. I can't see myself as in the wrong for doing that. Why would I be in the wrong for not letting people bury their heads in the sand on this toxic viewpoint that permeates our culture? People have made good points that perhaps it's not useful because I can't change anything about OP (not that I would have tried that in the first place, since that would be censorship, but whatever), but that doesn't mean we shouldn't call a spade a spade and acknowledge it for what it is. Acknowledging sexist depictions as sexist depictions atleast is honest.

That's why those conversations happened. Because I refused to let people pretend that this shit wasn't what it so obviously was. And I don't apologize for doing that.

What Veelk wanted was never going to happen this arc and we knew that since the beginning .
Smoothie almost took out Nami and she took out Reiju that is enough .
Yeah it was off panel but most of the fights this arc were short or off panel to begin with .
What was Cracker participation in this arc .
He show up for a few panels and then get beat a few panels later .

SolVanderlyn

I like Amande. Wish she was a Sweet Commander over Smoothie. She's actually done something in the first part of the arc.
Her design is amazing. Actually in my top three female OP character designs with Monet and Hina.

Tizoc

Caught up to 571
So the platform they are on is collapsing and if they stay any longer they're finished.
Interested to see if Luffy will escape with his group and the gang will later on get to fight Big Mom later.

Rob Lucci needs to show himself already[/spoiler[

LotusHD

Banned
I like Amande. Wish she was a Sweet Commander over Smoothie. She's actually done something in the first part of the arc.

Same, she has a much more striking design (Well, I guess Smoothie's body type is rather rare too, meh), and her sword needs to be more important, wish she was a higher rank or something too so we'd see more of her.

But yea, it's that hat. It looks too good on her!

amande_by_petah55-daoucuy.jpg

IHaveIce

Banned
Well, technically, I hadn't talked about Smoothie, which is why I felt compelled to write about her.

Also, it's not like it was just me. People, including you, were talking excitedly about how this was potentially going to be the first arc where a strawhat gets actual character development and has to learn to view women differently.

But, yeah, fine. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here. Just because I didn't like doesn't mean I have to force that to be the talking point when most others liked it. I just find it egregious how this arc took every wrong turn it possibly could and wanted to express that. And now I did.

Onto Reverie, I guess. Whoo.

...I'm just gonna say this. If I were to write a post about the shitty depiction of women in Bleach or Naruto, I don't think I'd have been met with NEARLY as much resistance to that statement as I was with the OP fandom. We'll see when I get around to talking about that in my Naruto reread, but by and large, my experience is that the fandom seems to acknowledge and accept this flaw as real and meaningful, even if they liked the series. But not One Piece fans. (#NotAllOPFans and all that, but there were several of you). No matter how I went about it, no matter how nicely I said it or how much evidence I provided or how blatant that evidence was, there was always atleast one person trying to dismiss it as nothing, one way or another.

You want to blame me for all the posts, well I have to take credit that I did keep the conversation going when it could have died out, sure. But I only kept it going because otherwise the last word would have been a denial that there was any problem at all. Well, that's bullshit and I refused to let the point go, while everyone refused to see the point and that's why it became circular. I can't see myself as in the wrong for doing that. Why would I be in the wrong for not letting people bury their heads in the sand on this toxic viewpoint that permeates our culture? People have made good points that perhaps it's not useful because I can't change anything about OP (not that I would have tried that in the first place, since that would be censorship, but whatever), but that doesn't mean we shouldn't call a spade a spade and acknowledge it for what it is. Acknowledging sexist depictions as sexist depictions atleast is honest.

That's why those conversations happened. Because I refused to let people pretend that this shit wasn't what it so obviously was. And I don't apologize for doing that.
There was no resistance nobody cared for your big ass long posts and you were just keeping on rumbling. And always bringing the topic up again.

Top Bottom