• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I think some of the hate for Fishman Island was due to how hyped it was.

At the end of Return to Water Seven (Post Enies Lobby), Kokoro reveals Fishman Island is the final destination before the New World.
The Straw Hats then end up in Thriller Bark, which takes up a year worth of real life time.
Then they arrive at Sabaody, the area before Fishman Island. Kuma separates them.
Then we have to deal with Luffy trying to save Ace for another year of real life time. After he fails, we get a flashback followed by the timeskip.
After they regroup, they finally make it to Fishman Island.

Could be worse, at least it's not the Elf Land in Berserk.

But as BassForever said, a lot of it is set-up. It will all pay-off like Laboon did, and Little Garden eventually will (I look forward to Elbaf).

SykoTech

Sorry Neptune, but Luffy solves all his problems by punching them!

Guessing there'll be consequences for destroying the Noah. Perhaps leading to the fulfillment of Sharley's prediction.

ffdgh

Hmm they could have put the blood transfusion in this ep too but oh well. And Lol at robin saying franky's robot was totally useless.
KuGsj.gif

smurfx

get some go again
i enjoyed this episode. some of the sea kings voices were a little too high pitched for my liking. thought they would all be deep voices. although it was kinda goofy over all. thought it was goofy when it happened in the manga as well.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I think some of the hate for Fishman Island was due to how hyped it was.

At the end of Return to Water Seven (Post Enies Lobby), Kokoro reveals Fishman Island is the final destination before the New World.
The Straw Hats then end up in Thriller Bark, which takes up a year worth of real life time.
Then they arrive at Sabaody, the area before Fishman Island. Kuma separates them.
Then we have to deal with Luffy trying to save Ace for another year of real life time. After he fails, we get a flashback followed by the timeskip.
After they regroup, they finally make it to Fishman Island.

Could be worse, at least it's not the Elf Land in Berserk.

But as BassForever said, a lot of it is set-up. It will all pay-off like Laboon did, and Little Garden eventually will (I look forward to Elbaf).

More than that. Fishman Island was first mentioned waaaaaaaaay back around episode 30 or so during the Arlong Arc in a conversation between Luffy, Sanji, and Yosaku. This was also the first mention, by name, of Jinbe, who was the second member of the Shichibukai to be introduced in the series after Mihawk, despite the fact that he does not actually appear until about 400 episodes later.

Mr. Fix

More than that. Fishman Island was first mentioned waaaaaaaaay back around episode 30 or so during the Arlong Arc in a conversation between Luffy, Sanji, and Yosaku. This was also the first mention, by name, of Jinbe, who was the second member of the Shichibukai to be introduced in the series after Mihawk, despite the fact that he does not actually appear until about 400 episodes later.

Mastermind at work.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
And once again cross-posting from the AnimeGAF thread. Yaay~

---

One Piece - Water 7 + Enies Lobby Arcs (220-325)
Also known as My Nakama Can't Possibly Be This Awesome

Sometimes when I'm watching this show I realize that it's so good I could just die.

It'll be hard to avoid spewing hyperboles everywhere in this post. This show gets a lot better with each passing arc, and, hell, I already adored it back in the Baratie days. Then came Arlong, Baroque Works, Skypiea... And now this. How does Oda do it? I have absolutely no idea. But he does.

It took me many months to watch these 100 episodes, but it wasn't because I didn't want to just rush through them. In fact, every single time when I did sit in front of the TV to watch one short chapter, I ended up watching five or six in a row. But things got in the way, and now some of the early events are already a little bit hazy in my head, haha. But let's do this.

Water 7 - which I eventually learned to describe as
the largest introductory arc ever
- was basically an emotional rollercoaster. Right at the beginning you get
Aokiji leaving Robin and Luffy for dead,
and that surely sets the tone for the events to come. When the crew reached the water metropolis, I was a bit weirded out by how chill those first episodes were... But then
Usopp Vs. Luffy
happened. The limits of nakamaship were tested, and I said "goddamn" out loud. Then Robin started being annoying, some guys on masks appeared, some mysteries were teased... And finally shit got real!

I must say:
it was obvious from the very start that Califa wasn't just a secretary, but Kaku being one of the CP9 really shocked me. I guess it shocked Oda too, considering the dialogue between him and Zoro after his defeat later. Hell, I honestly wasn't even expecting Lucci to be evil... But I guess I can't really blame myself for that, because his pidgeon made me let my guard down. Anyway: I thought the twist was really well-planned, because I honestly didn't see it coming. I had no idea what was going to happen.
Obviously, everyone got beat up, and only then the truth behind all that was going on surfaced:
Robin was trying to save their asses. Then came Nami to demonstrate one of the reasons why One Piece is so wonderful: there are no training arcs. "Now that Luffy and the others know what's really going on, they won't hold back." Squeeee.

During the
sea train chase mini-arc,
Oda made us remember a couple of things:
1 -
Sanji is a badass.
2 -
Luffy and Zoro are gods. WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO TO THE AQUA LAGUNA, man.

Also, it became clear who this arc was really about (besides Robin, obviously):
Usopp and Franky.

I really liked the way the Water 7 arc was structured.
Despite not having any big fights like one would expect, it was never boring because the new characters were all pretty fun to watch and because the city itself is a great location, as demonstrated by the scene in which Kaku jumped around the rooftops. Just like Skypiea, it was a place unlike any other we had seen before.

... But Enies Lobby was oh so much better.

It's hard to even describe, really. This arc was basically the pinnacle of shounen anime.

Man, dat opening. DAT OPENING.

The fact that they
managed to invade the island was awesome enough, but when all six of them stood on the rooftop facing the tower with CP9, Robin and Franky... I never thought I could manage that big of a smile. And then comes freaking Sogeking and burns the goddamn flag downaadisudanirjefwdisjpofiwefomdfs

- All of the fights were amazing. All of them.
Yes, even Franky x Fukuro. Hell, I think Zoro x Kaku was the worst of the bunch, and it was fantastic. There were so many mindblowing moments all around. Luffy's first Gear Second against Blueno. Chopper's legitimately scary transformation. Nami's fight. Sanji's molten lava legs. The sakuga in Luffy x Lucci. Then Gear Third... And finally Lucci going down Crocodile style³. Wooooooow. Hell, even when no one was fighting there were amazing moments, like Usopp sniping everyone on the bridge.
-
Franky (I'm spoiling his name because I found out not everyone knows who joins the crew in this arc, and that's kind of mindblowing)
was awesome.
What a bro, man. If I wasn't such a huge a Luffy x Robin shipper I'd totally jump on the old guy x old lady OTP boat.
- The tension levels were unbelievable the entire time.
And in that final scene in which they decide to jump into the ocean, only to be saved by the Merry... ;_;

After everything was done, obviously,
came Garb to put Luffy back in his place and show the viewers that he's still irrelevant in the large scheme of things. Oh, not feeling threatened enough yet? Then here's the king of overpowered logia Blackbeard... Overpowering the already overpowered Ace.

Oh, and I've already bowed down before our new CG overlords, so
the Thousand Sunny gets a big OK in my book.

What a ride, man. The humor, the tension, the epicness - Oda and Toei nailed everything. This show can't possibly get better than this. And don't tell me if it does or does not - I'm in for life anyway.

(Oh, and just for kicks, here are my Skypiea and Davy Back Fight impressions. I couldn't find my old Arabasta post :/)

And once again cross-posting from the AnimeGAF thread. Yaay~

---

One Piece - Water 7 + Enies Lobby Arcs (220-325)
Also known as My Nakama Can't Possibly Be This Awesome

Sometimes when I'm watching this show I realize that it's so good I could just die.

It'll be hard to avoid spewing hyperboles everywhere in this post. This show gets a lot better with each passing arc, and, hell, I already adored it back in the Baratie days. Then came Arlong, Baroque Works, Skypiea... And now this. How does Oda do it? I have absolutely no idea. But he does.

It took me many months to watch these 100 episodes, but it wasn't because I didn't want to just rush through them. In fact, every single time when I did sit in front of the TV to watch one short chapter, I ended up watching five or six in a row. But things got in the way, and now some of the early events are already a little bit hazy in my head, haha. But let's do this.

Water 7 - which I eventually learned to describe as
the largest introductory arc ever
- was basically an emotional rollercoaster. Right at the beginning you get
Aokiji leaving Robin and Luffy for dead,
and that surely sets the tone for the events to come. When the crew reached the water metropolis, I was a bit weirded out by how chill those first episodes were... But then
Usopp Vs. Luffy
happened. The limits of nakamaship were tested, and I said "goddamn" out loud. Then Robin started being annoying, some guys on masks appeared, some mysteries were teased... And finally shit got real!

I must say:
it was obvious from the very start that Califa wasn't just a secretary, but Kaku being one of the CP9 really shocked me. I guess it shocked Oda too, considering the dialogue between him and Zoro after his defeat later. Hell, I honestly wasn't even expecting Lucci to be evil... But I guess I can't really blame myself for that, because his pidgeon made me let my guard down. Anyway: I thought the twist was really well-planned, because I honestly didn't see it coming. I had no idea what was going to happen.
Obviously, everyone got beat up, and only then the truth behind all that was going on surfaced:
Robin was trying to save their asses. Then came Nami to demonstrate one of the reasons why One Piece is so wonderful: there are no training arcs. "Now that Luffy and the others know what's really going on, they won't hold back." Squeeee.

During the
sea train chase mini-arc,
Oda made us remember a couple of things:
1 -
Sanji is a badass.
2 -
Luffy and Zoro are gods. WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO TO THE AQUA LAGUNA, man.

Also, it became clear who this arc was really about (besides Robin, obviously):
Usopp and Franky.

I really liked the way the Water 7 arc was structured.
Despite not having any big fights like one would expect, it was never boring because the new characters were all pretty fun to watch and because the city itself is a great location, as demonstrated by the scene in which Kaku jumped around the rooftops. Just like Skypiea, it was a place unlike any other we had seen before.

... But Enies Lobby was oh so much better.

It's hard to even describe, really. This arc was basically the pinnacle of shounen anime.

Man, dat opening. DAT OPENING.

The fact that they
managed to invade the island was awesome enough, but when all six of them stood on the rooftop facing the tower with CP9, Robin and Franky... I never thought I could manage that big of a smile. And then comes freaking Sogeking and burns the goddamn flag downaadisudanirjefwdisjpofiwefomdfs

- All of the fights were amazing. All of them.
Yes, even Franky x Fukuro. Hell, I think Zoro x Kaku was the worst of the bunch, and it was fantastic. There were so many mindblowing moments all around. Luffy's first Gear Second against Blueno. Chopper's legitimately scary transformation. Nami's fight. Sanji's molten lava legs. The sakuga in Luffy x Lucci. Then Gear Third... And finally Lucci going down Crocodile style³. Wooooooow. Hell, even when no one was fighting there were amazing moments, like Usopp sniping everyone on the bridge.
-
Franky (I'm spoiling his name because I found out not everyone knows who joins the crew in this arc, and that's kind of mindblowing)
was awesome.
What a bro, man. If I wasn't such a huge a Luffy x Robin shipper I'd totally jump on the old guy x old lady OTP boat.
- The tension levels were unbelievable the entire time.
And in that final scene in which they decide to jump into the ocean, only to be saved by the Merry... ;_;

After everything was done, obviously,
came Garb to put Luffy back in his place and show the viewers that he's still irrelevant in the large scheme of things. Oh, not feeling threatened enough yet? Then here's the king of overpowered logia Blackbeard... Overpowering the already overpowered Ace.

Oh, and I've already bowed down before our new CG overlords, so
the Thousand Sunny gets a big OK in my book.

What a ride, man. The humor, the tension, the epicness - Oda and Toei nailed everything. This show can't possibly get better than this. And don't tell me if it does or does not - I'm in for life anyway.

(Oh, and just for kicks, here are my Skypiea and Davy Back Fight impressions. I couldn't find my old Arabasta post :/)

Don't get caught up, I powered though the entire anime in about a month and then got caught up on the manga the next day. The wait for OP is a pain worse then death :(

I like when I accidentally glance at some upcoming episode titles and find something surprising. What, Luffy is going to fight Crocodile again, 10 episodes after he almost died? Now that seems like a bad idea!

Also, maaaan that first Crocodile fight. I expected it to go bad, but this show has a tendency to expect me expecting things and then go several steps beyond what I expected.

KtSlime

I like when I accidentally glance at some upcoming episode titles and find something surprising. What, Luffy is going to fight Crocodile again, 10 episodes after he almost died? Now that seems like a bad idea!

Also, maaaan that first Crocodile fight. I expected it to go bad, but this show has a tendency to expect me expecting things and then go several steps beyond what I expected.

What episode are you on currently?

One day I do plan to watch more of the funi dub, I saw the first 15ish episodes and enjoyed it and saw bits/voices of later characters/moments I enjoyed. Really looking forward to hearing Luffy's declaration in English

KtSlime

One day I do plan to watch more of the funi dub, I saw the first 15ish episodes and enjoyed it and saw bits/voices of later characters/moments I enjoyed. Really looking forward to hearing Luffy's declaration in English

I'm kind of curious as well. How would they choose to translate 「海賊王に俺はなる」? "The Pirate King, it is I who will become that"? Feels wordy.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm kind of curious as well. How would they choose to translate 「海賊王に俺はなる」? "The Pirate King, it is I who will become that"? Feels wordy.

"I'm the one who will become the Pirate King!"
or,
"I will become the Pirate King!"
or perhaps,
"I'll be the King of the Pirates!"

Seems simple enough to me. It's pretty basic Japanese localization to swap the subject and predicate of a sentence.

KtSlime

"I'm the one who will become the Pirate King!"
or,
"I will become the Pirate King!"
or perhaps,
"I'll be the King of the Pirates!"

Seems simple enough to me. It's pretty basic Japanese localization to swap the subject and predicate of a sentence.

But doesn't it lose some of the character? I guess it really doesn't matter a whole lot, but it's pretty iconic of Luffy in the Japanese. I'm probably just being pedantic (not to say that translation of mine is good, it's very broken) , never mind me. :lol

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
But doesn't it lose some of the character? I guess it really doesn't matter a whole lot, but it's pretty iconic of Luffy in the Japanese. I'm probably just being pedantic (not to say that translation of mine is good, it's very broken) , never mind me. :lol

Nah, I think in the desire to "preserve the character," we get a lot of horrible translations. There is no character in the structure of that sentence, it is how anyone in Japan would say anything. Object of verb before verb and subject. If you want to preserve the intent of the language, you gotta go beyond rote transcription of structure, and think "if this is normal to Japanese readers, the localization must sound normal to English readers."

It's true that by putting the object first, you hide the verb and subject, and get to emphasize the sentence in a different way. But they do that with... every single sentence. So unless we want all Japanese writing to sound like it was spoken by Yoda, it needs to be universally normalized.

Nah, I think in the desire to "preserve the character," we get a lot of horrible translations. There is no character in the structure of that sentence, it is how anyone in Japan would say anything. Object of verb before verb and subject. If you want to preserve the intent of the language, you gotta go beyond rote transcription of structure, and think "if this is normal to Japanese readers, the localization must sound normal to English readers."

It's true that by putting the object first, you hide the verb and subject, and get to emphasize the sentence in a different way. But they do that with... every single sentence. So unless we want all Japanese writing to sound like it was spoken by Yoda, it needs to be universally normalized.

This

Also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTeHF8oTitg&t=0m58s

This is how the official subs translate it "I'm gonna become the king of the pirates" It's also how it's translated in One Piece Musou

Exentryk

Hey guys! I stopped reading the manga around the underwater island arc, with Van Der Dekken and what not. Has it picked up yet? Next arc started?

Hey guys! I stopped reading the manga around the underwater island arc, with Van Der Dekken and what not. Has it picked up yet? Next arc started?

Yeah fishman isle is finished in the manga and were at probably the 75% mark of Punk Hazard arc being complete. The anime is probably 3-4 episodes away from finishing Fishman Isle arc.

BatDan

FUNimation's new trailer for One Piece Season Four: Voyage Three is up.

This'll be the set covering the start of Water 7 and including things such as Franky's introduction, Luffy vs. Usopp, Robin leaving the crew, and all that good stuff. Episodes 230-241.

First thing noticed: Zambai has an accent. Can't place what it is, but it seems to fit.

Second thing noticed: Oh man, that fight. That's going to be rough to re-watch again.
I heard Sonny Strait was actually reduced to tears during those line reads. Can't blame him.

Maron

First thing noticed: Zambai has an accent. Can't place what it is, but it seems to fit.

Second thing noticed: Oh man, that fight. That's going to be rough to re-watch again.
I heard Sonny Strait was actually reduced to tears during those line reads. Can't blame him.

Yup, he said it himself a month or two ago on the One Piece Podcast. This was the stuff that led him to shed tears in the booth for the very first time. Strait also said Mike McFarland (ADR Director) was telling him a bunch of times how the character was going to be going in a different direction and how he'd have him re-do his lines way more than usual to make it perfect.

This'll be the set covering the start of Water 7 and including things such as Franky's introduction, Luffy vs. Usopp, Robin leaving the crew, and all that good stuff. Episodes 230-241.

Is there a youtube mirror for this? Funi's video players always give me problems. Whatever happened to the old days when you could just pause a video and let it buffer ;-;

Man, I love the Funimation dub. Hearing everyone in English for the first time during this point in the series makes me look forward to the future (especially with all the action going on in Enies Lobby). Hope Funi picks up Season 6.

I just wish there was a dub for Pirate Warriors. I love the original audio, but I much prefer hearing my own language being spoken while I'm fighting enemies. :/

BatDan

Spoilers ahead.

It's going to be really damn hard to watch Merry's death, I imagine that will reduce the voice cast to a blubbering mess.

Jadedx

Banned
I'm addicted to the anime, but I find the one piece manga to be confusing and unreadable, so it's hard for me to read ahead.

Maron

Man, I love the Funimation dub. Hearing everyone in English for the first time during this point in the series makes me look forward to the future (especially with all the action going on in Enies Lobby). Hope Funi picks up Season 6.

I just wish there was a dub for Pirate Warriors. I love the original audio, but I much prefer hearing my own language being spoken while I'm fighting enemies. :/

Actually they probably do have Season 6. A day after their Season 5 announcement at Otakon a bunch of sites were reporting that they announced Seasons 5 & 6 (with 6 set for release right after S5, for Summer 2014). The Season 6 info came with a legit description of the events transpiring in the episodes included in the batch (which was 337-415, ending at the end of Impel Down). Turns out that, while the Season 6 info wasn't in the Press Release emails FUNimation sent out to these websites, it was in the PR attachments of these emails (which otherwise kept all the same info as the body of the email), which is where all the sites were getting the info from.

The theory is that they originally were going to announce both seasons but pulled out at the last second and neglected removing the final trace of it.

And yeah I hear ya on Pirate Warriors. A shame.

SykoTech

Oh snap, Jimbei. Not too surprising given how close he's been to Luffy since they first met. Crew's overdue for a new member as well.

As for the rest of the episode, lot's of setting up. Can't really guess who they need to fix the ship, who the hell is Joy Boy, or what Noah's purpose is in the first place. But I trust the mastermind has it all planned out and will blow me away with the revelations somewhere down the line, even if it takes years to get there.

So now that the fishman island arc is coming to an end, the next one is Punk Hazard right? For those who have read through Punk Hazard what did you think of it?

I love OP, but I really wasn't feeling this arc, so I'm hoping the next one is better.

KtSlime

Oh snap, Jimbei. Not too surprising given how close he's been to Luffy since they first met. Crew's overdue for a new member as well.

As for the rest of the episode, lot's of setting up. Can't really guess who they need to fix the ship, who the hell is Joy Boy, or what Noah's purpose is in the first place. But I trust the mastermind has it all planned out and will blow me away with the revelations somewhere down the line, even if it takes years to get there.

Yeah, I was hoping Luffy would do that. (I know, I should read the manga, but I'm lazy). Slow but needed episode, it's about time they move onto a new adventure. I wonder if Toei is going to take this opportunity to switch opening themes, it's about that time.

Mr. Fix

So now that the fishman island arc is coming to an end, the next one is Punk Hazard right? For those who have read through Punk Hazard what did you think of it?

I love OP, but I really wasn't feeling this arc, so I'm hoping the next one is better.

I think it's great. It's really unpredictable, and it's not only about the Strawhats (you've got old faces making a return, and yes, they do have a major role in it).

Punk Hazard's great so far. It seems like there's a new twist every chapter and the new faces are pretty nice characters.

I think it's great. It's really unpredictable, and it's not only about the Strawhats (you've got old faces making a return, and yes, they do have a major role in it).

Punk Hazard's great so far. It seems like there's a new twist every chapter and the new faces are pretty nice characters.

Alright cool, I'll be looking forward to it.

I also read, spoilers for Punk Hazard
that Donquiote Doflamingo is an important character in Punk Hazard, which leads me to wonder how Luffy could even fight someone like that, considering the limited glimpses we've had of his devil fruit power. Assuming he is the villain, I could be wrong, of course.

Did anyone else catch at the very beginning of the episode, right after the title there was a fish that was staring into my soul.
I thought it was hilarious.

Top Bottom