• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Firestorm

So now that the fishman island arc is coming to an end, the next one is Punk Hazard right? For those who have read through Punk Hazard what did you think of it?

I love OP, but I really wasn't feeling this arc, so I'm hoping the next one is better.
It's not over yet but Punk Hazard > Fishman Island

Trevelyon

So now that the fishman island arc is coming to an end, the next one is Punk Hazard right? For those who have read through Punk Hazard what did you think of it? .

Too busy for its own good, really uneven, very sporadic in a not good way and the pacing is plodding. Enemies, new characters, the location, various plot devices and arc hooks (yeh, 'that' one, which overstays its welcome almost as soon as its introduced) weren't all that engaging or exciting to me.

Some interesting future implications and impact to the larger plot, but its shaping up to be my most disliked arc thus far (shame to start the new world off on such a dull note)

I've said it before but a fishman joining the strawhats would just make so much sense as they can breath underwater and help the devilfruit users out.

In case of Jimbei it would also be a nice fit as there's no martial arts fighter in the straw hat group (besides maybe Sanji but he only fights with his feet, as well as Kung Fu Chopper).

Just his personality seems a bit too boring for the group.
Robin is also a more serious/normal character, but she still is funny as hell when she makes her crazy statements/comments ("maybe he was killed in a horrible way" etc. etc.).

Let's see if it will actually happen.

(Although another female, a strong physical fighter, would be nice as well)

Do you guys think there will be more characters joining? It seems it would get very impractical at some point as they would have to spend time on each person fighting some equally strong enemy.
For the second half of the OP story I can only see Luffy getting some pirate crews under his control that defend some territories etc. while the core gang is away. There's that nice build-up so far that he can win the hearts of people so subsequently he would get an army at some point, no? (and he needs it anyway if he wants to mess with the other Emperors?).

GManDH

wow. first let me say i never saw this thread before and i will be subscribing to it now. second if you enjoy watching the anime but not reading the manga then you are not getting the full story. the one piece manga is where the story truly is. yea it might be too much at times and you will have to read certain chapters twice maybe even thrice, but thats what a good manga requires. you want something simple that is easy to understand go read
Naruto
. thirdly the crew will have at least one more person added to it. Luffy said that the crew would be 10 not including himself.so if you count the ship then there is none left but who knows.

So I just introduced my little brother to One Piece, after 4 episodes he had to go to bed for school tomorrow and complained "ugh all I'm going to do is think about what happens next" I hope I didn't just kill his productivity :X

Mr. Fix

So I just introduced my little brother to One Piece, after 4 episodes he had to go to bed for school tomorrow and complained "ugh all I'm going to do is think about what happens next" I hope I didn't just kill his productivity :X

How old's your brother? I figured most kids would just toss this aside due to the art and go for gutter trash like Bleach, Naruto or FT. Good on him!

How old's your brother? I figured most kids would just toss this aside due to the art and go for gutter trash like Bleach, Naruto or FT. Good on him!

He's a 15 year old high school sophomore, he's an odd kid who finds himself torn between his dudebro desires (all his friends play Madden/CoD/Fifa/Halo on 360) and his nerdy gaming/anime interest from my sister and I (he loves Fire Emblem, Ace Attorney, DBZ, Death Note, etc). Right now he's been getting decent grades due to poor study habits (would rather play games/watch tv/etc) hence my fear I got him addicted to one piece when he was just starting to get his grades up.

Diablos54

Dude, you just RUINED his life. It'll be all about ONE PIECE from now till the day he dies!

KtSlime

Haha, you just put him 200 hours behind in his studies, poor guy.

I've said it before but a fishman joining the strawhats would just make so much sense as they can breath underwater and help the devilfruit users out.

In case of Jimbei it would also be a nice fit as there's no martial arts fighter in the straw hat group (besides maybe Sanji but he only fights with his feet, as well as Kung Fu Chopper).

Just his personality seems a bit too boring for the group.
Robin is also a more serious/normal character, but she still is funny as hell when she makes her crazy statements/comments ("maybe he was killed in a horrible way" etc. etc.).

Let's see if it will actually happen.

(Although another female, a strong physical fighter, would be nice as well)

Do you guys think there will be more characters joining? It seems it would get very impractical at some point as they would have to spend time on each person fighting some equally strong enemy.

For the second half of the OP story I can only see Luffy getting some pirate crews under his control that defend some territories etc. while the core gang is away. There's that nice build-up so far that he can win the hearts of people so subsequently he would get an army at some point, no? (and he needs it anyway if he wants to mess with the other Emperors?).

As a member of Team Sabo, I strongly believe Sabo will be the next straw hat. I am still vehemently praying for his appearance someday! I need my SL of ASL, since I couldnt get my AL.

Jimbei is an awful choice and would already ruin the crew. He's like Usopp tier. I think what they need is another swordsman, as it would greatly complement Zoro and the combat ability of the strawhats as the strong trio may no doubt be burdened supporting the entire combat ability of the crew as they venture into the New World.

ffdgh

Brook may fence but he's still a swordsman
KuGsj.gif

Steroyd

As a member of Team Sabo, I strongly believe Sabo will be the next straw hat. I am still vehemently praying for his appearance someday! I need my SL of ASL, since I couldnt get my AL.

Jimbei is an awful choice and would already ruin the crew. He's like Usopp tier. I think what they need is another swordsman, as it would greatly complement Zoro and the combat ability of the strawhats as the strong trio may no doubt be burdened supporting the entire combat ability of the crew as they venture into the New World.

They already have Brook as the second swordsman, and Jimbei is Usopp tier lolwut? What's an Usopp tier!?

Maybe it's because I never watched much anime but I never got the weird art style vibe from OP. Sure, the anime looks weird half the time now but in the early days I didn't notice a difference from other shows I watched back in '02.

They already have Brook as the second swordsman, and Jimbei is Usopp tier lolwut? What's an Usopp tier!?

I dont think you can ever have too many swords. Most of the exciting moments in One Piece have involved swords afterall. Usopp tier is like chopper, nami tier, you know, the weak ones that get all the boring fights and moments, and ungood appearances.

Steroyd

I dont think you can ever have too many swords. Most of the exciting moments in One Piece have involved swords afterall. Usopp tier is like chopper, nami tier, you know, the weak ones that get all the boring fights and moments, and ungood appearances.

You can in One Piece, which is all about variety.

Quality over quantity man, if you want to have everyone wave around swords, watch Blea-... oh...

And you're saying a 300 million Shichibukai Jinbei is on the same level as... Usopp, again, wut!?

Korosenai

The strawhats need a good fishman on their crew and jinbe and luffy are already good friends, so he would make an excellent addition to the crew.

KtSlime

Maybe it's because I never watched much anime but I never got the weird art style vibe from OP. Sure, the anime looks weird half the time now but in the early days I didn't notice a difference from other shows I watched back in '02.

It has a lot of stretch and squash compared to most anime. The backgrounds are very Toei, which still feels very much stuck in the late 80's and early 90's in terms of style (but less so with the newer CG). I personally love it, but most are used to much more modern styles, colors, patterns, shading, etc.

ep 566 - 567

Both episodes were pretty goood. 566, I liked Hody's attack with the water sharks, I think the whole scene looked really good with the way they were handle and luffy dodging. I think the way they drew luffy for the scene was kind of awkward going on the vertical for it though.

Though why they make it seem like Luffy was struggling.

SykoTech

Sorta a random question, but was it ever explained why Luffy doesn't shrink down after using Gear 3rd anymore? Is it due to Armament Haki or something?

In news I don't think anyone saw coming, Avril Lavigne will be contributing music to the upcoming movie One Piece Film Z. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...l-lavigne-contributes-one-piece-film-z-themes

... I am not sure what to think.

Haha...wha?

Well, as long as it's just in the OST and not in the middle of the actual film, I'm good.

SykoTech

...I can't tell if robin's breast are normal or exaggerated

Yeah, I can see why the king reacted the way he did given her proportions during that scene.

So Shirahoshi herself is one of the ancient weapons. Interesting. Makes me wonder if Alabasta's Pluton could have been a person as well.

Three quarters through the episode I doubled checked the name of the episode;
"Revealed Secret - The Truth of Ancient Weapons"
Yep.... any time now will be good.
But then Robin drops it all on us in the last 3 mintues.

Steroyd

Three quarters through the episode I doubled checked the name of the episode;
"Revealed Secret - The Truth of Ancient Weapons"
Yep.... any time now will be good.
But then Robin drops it all on us in the last 3 mintues.

Yup that sounds like typical Toei trolling.

So last week I got my brother into One Piece, he and I via skype watched the first 4 episodes. Today I called him and asked if he had watched anymore. He's already at the arlong arc and said it and lol suck up all his free time. :X

LaneDS

Random question- is the show still using the redone We Are! opening from when the timeskip happened? Haven't watched in ages (manga reader) but like to check out the new openings when they hit. If it's using the same one, any word when they're switching it up?

KtSlime

Random question- is the show still using the redone We Are! opening from when the timeskip happened? Haven't watched in ages (manga reader) but like to check out the new openings when they hit. If it's using the same one, any word when they're switching it up?

The post timeskip OT is We Go! by Kitadani Hiroshi. There is no word on what the new OT will be, but it's quickly approaching the time they should be changing it.

Top Bottom