• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Raxus

i'm at 630-ish in the manga spoiler

i don't really like the underwater fish arc thingy, hope this ends quickly and we can get in to the new world. will important stuff happen soon or will it be slower again after the crazy shit that went down before the time jump

It's a curb stomp arc. A ton of set up set aside for the villains for the straw hats to beat 90% of them down in one chapter. It is worse in the anime (with eh exception of LASER). Most of the meat of the chapter comes at the end.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The thing that killed Fishman Island in a lot of fans eyes is the timing. It takes place right after the timeskip and people want to see the Straw Hats kick some ass. But Fishman Island has also been hyped for years, first getting mentioned waaaaaay back in the Arlong Park arc. So, Oda wanted to tell Fishman Island's backstory and the history of racial tension between humans and Fishmen. But fans got antsy because they wanted "FIGHT FIGHT KICK SOME ASS". Eventually they got it, and it was good.

I know I'm in the minority of liking Fishman Island. It's better to read in one big sitting than it is waiting week after week after week for new chapters.

FI is probably the worst arc going. Even moreso then Grey Terminal

I liked the racial tension stuff, but everything with the fight antagonists was terrible.

The flying dutchman was ok but an incredibly missed opportunity given how cool the debut was. Hodi & co were terrible all day everyday

789shadow

Banned
Fishman Island was really unfortunate timing. It had to take place, and it had to take place right then, but at that time everyone wanted the Straw Hats to destroy shit in the New World.

Diablos54

The timing was definitely why FI got such a bad reaction, and part of it's understandable, everyone was looking forward to the NW. But FI was always going to be an important part of the story, what with the relationship between Fishmen and humans. Plus, the SH's needed a way to show their strength off, and going straight into the NW and one shooting guys would be a big disservice to the build up the NW had up to that point.

And when an arc gets near the end, all people want is to move quickly on to the next one, thus moaning. The same things just happened in the manga and yet look what happened,
shit's going down.

FI is probably the worst arc going. Even moreso then Grey Terminal

I liked the racial tension stuff, but everything with the fight antagonists was terrible.

The flying dutchman was ok but an incredibly missed opportunity given how cool the debut was. Hodi & co were terrible all day everyday

I did not enjoy FI in the manga at all since like almost everyone I read it week to week. I then watched the anime FI after it ended with a friend and it was much more enjoyable. It actually did feel pretty fast paced and wasn't that bad. But yeah, still my least favorite arc.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Retroactively it was. And anyway, we're talking about armament haki, which definitely wasn't shown before that.

Haki was explicitly mentioned, as haki, in episode 316. Ten episodes before the Ice Hunter Arc. In that particular case, though, it was Haoushoku Haki.

BatDan

Is there a new episode this Saturday?

Yes. It will be the beginning of Punk Hazard.
For those that haven't heard, arc villain Caesar Clown will be played by Ryusei Nakao. Best known as the voice of Freeza in DBZ.

Haki was explicitly mentioned, as haki, in episode 316. Ten episodes before the Ice Hunter Arc. In that particular case, though, it was Haoushoku Haki.

What? When Ambition was used in 316, it was still a mystery. We got the hint that it had something to do with willpower, but that was about it.

KtSlime

So Toei is not going to give us a new Opening WTF .
The opening has lasted to damn long .

What? No! Please tell me this is false, I am so damn tired of 「We Go!」. It's not a bad song, but it's already been well over a year in play, was looking forward to something new.

BatDan

We've still got another 2 weeks to wait, right? What a bad time for a break, considering what just happened. :(

Yeah, another two weeks. Expect it around the 16th.
And yes, it does suck. Especially after that cliffhanger.

789shadow

Banned
Yeah, another two weeks. Expect it around the 16th.
And yes, it does suck. Especially after that cliffhanger.
Honestly, one of the good things about the anime is that is easier to tell what's going on, since the manga is sort of cluttered, I'll admit. Also, I want to see Law in color so bad.

KtSlime

Oh no! You guys are right, just checked fujitv, next episode doesn't air till the 12th. Booo, was looking forward to having something to watch Saturday. =(

BatDan

Really? Cause I heard it's this Saturday it's coming back. Also, FujiTV's site would say the 13th because it airs in Japan on Sunday morning. We here in the states get it Saturday evening because time zones. Also, Funimation said it's coming this weekend so...

By the way, here's the cover for Season 4 Volume 4. The first one not to have Luffy on it.
Season_4_Voyage_4.png

And what a cover that is. That one looks good.

Figured we wouldn't get a new opening. No rumors of a band this time around or anything.

KtSlime

But... But... BELIEVE IN WOOOOOONDERRRRRLAND! And CRAZY CRAZY RAINBOW STAR! :p

Aside from We Are - Fight Together and Kokoro no chizu are the best. They really suited their episodes well.

Oh and BatDan, you're right, I should have checked their bangumihyou instead, episode 579「上陸! 燃える島パンクハザード」 is scheduled for this weekend. Yes!

Kokoro no Chizu is the best

I don't really like We Go, but other then that they're all pretty good. Kaze wo Sagashite/Marineford Juxtaposition cracks me up though

KtSlime

Kokoro no Chizu is the best

I don't really like We Go, but other then that they're all pretty good. Kaze wo Sagashite/Marineford Juxtaposition cracks me up though

I think it is my favorite opening animation. It's so opposite the mood of the story arch, I think it is pretty cleverly chosen. I'm surprised more people don't like 「Fight Together」 I guess there aren't many Amuro Namie fans here?

My favorite opening monologue is from the second season, but it by far has the worst opening animation, you can tell the budget was crap then.

I just started but I really like the first one. Not sure what it's called in the Funimation version.

It's the iconic theme of the show 「We Are」. *Everyone* recognizes it as belonging to the show.

Don't worry, We Are never really gets abandoned. It's everyones favorite.

BatDan

It also shows up twice as the opening later in the series. First one is a cover by the Straw Hats (for five recap episodes) and then a cover by Korean boy band TVXQ.

KtSlime

It's the show's main theme. They even have several variations of it in the OST.

I'm not a big fan of OSTs, but yeah, Memorial Best is great. If anyone gets the chance to buy it, it's well worth it. We Are 10周年 is my favorite version on it.

BatDan: LOL, I had no idea 東方神起 also went by the name TVXQ. Just learned something new, thanks.

Steroyd

It's the show's main theme. They even have several variations of it in the OST.

I believe We Go is the sequel to We Are in a sense that everything that would be a We Are theme is now changed to We Go or at least that's the vibe I'm getting for everything from the New World onwards.

Mr. Fix

I believe We Go is the sequel to We Are in a sense that everything that would be a We Are theme is now changed to We Go or at least that's the vibe I'm getting for everything from the New World onwards.

Unfortunately. I just hope they give it the Mother Sea treatment and make a sad instrumental arrangement of it.

There's also a "We Were", a version sung by the Fake Straw Hats.

LOL this is news to me.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
What? When Ambition was used in 316, it was still a mystery. We got the hint that it had something to do with willpower, but that was about it.
That is what the word haki means, yes.

Jozu uses the term in 316. As his crewmates are dropping like flies to Shanks' Haoushoku, he says "sugei haki da na." Pretty unmistakable that he's talking about the power knocking all of his bros out.

Apparently Teach also uses the term haki back in Jaya too, though from the context (talking about Luffy's bounty boost after taking out Crocodile) he may have actually meant it as just "ambition" as opposed to haki power.

I don't understand what your point is, though. Haki was, at least in part, technically a mystery all the way until the very last chapter of part 1. It was never clearly or adequately explained in detail prior to that, and everything we knew about it came from "hints" like the one on Whitebeard's ship that accumulated over time. But by that incident with Shanks, all three variations of haki had already appeared (some numerous times, just without the haki label) and the name applied to the power had already been used in conjunction with said power. No matter how you slice it, haki had been introduced to the series by that point, even if the audience didn't completely understand what it was (or even necessarily that the disparate appearances of it were all related). Oda, if nothing else, knew exactly what haki was at least by that point, assuming he didn't always know what it was.

Oh no! You guys are right, just checked fujitv, next episode doesn't air till the 12th. Booo, was looking forward to having something to watch Saturday. =(

Hmm where are you getting this?

http://www.fujitv.co.jp/timetable/daily/index.html

The schedule shows One Piece airing on 1/6, and if you click it, it shows the preview for episode 579. By comparison, the timetable for 1/13 doesn't even exist yet on the site.

KtSlime

Hmm where are you getting this?

http://www.fujitv.co.jp/timetable/daily/index.html

The schedule shows One Piece airing on 1/6, and if you click it, it shows the preview for episode 579. By comparison, the timetable for 1/13 doesn't even exist yet on the site.

I later went back and checked the 番組表 and made a new post, however the info in my original post came from http://www.fujitv.co.jp/b_hp/onepiece/index.html in the 次回オンアイ情報 bubble, which has subsequently been updated in the mean time to make it look like I'm a big fat liar. LOL such is life. I swear, it did say the 12th earlier today. Sorry for any confusion.

Really? Cause I heard it's this Saturday it's coming back. Also, FujiTV's site would say the 13th because it airs in Japan on Sunday morning. We here in the states get it Saturday evening because time zones. Also, Funimation said it's coming this weekend so...

By the way, here's the cover for Season 4 Volume 4. The first one not to have Luffy on it.
http://images.wikia.com/onepiece/images/6/67/Season_4_Voyage_4.png[/IG][/QUOTE]

Should definitely be this saturday, according to even funimation.

Cover looks odd to me cause it makes her seem like a villain but then I dont even remember much of this part of the arc cause I speed read through the manga now, wow, three+ years ago.

But thanks for the reminder, I need to preorder.

Top Bottom