• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Anth0ny

Eneru/Enel (エネル) is based upon the the japanese word for energy (エネルギー) so going with Eneru would be appropriate imo

Oh Eneru God how did I not realize that name pun

In that case, Ener really is the perfect localization. Really weird that they stuck with the u.

upandaway

Eneru/Enel (エネル) is based upon the the japanese word for energy (エネルギー) so going with Eneru would be appropriate imo
Is that really what his name is? Then the Hebrew pun/translation is such an amazing coincidence, oh wow. I'm tempted to keep using Enel just because of it

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Yeah, my only experience with any of the translations is this thread, so all the decisions seem odd to me. I guess Bon Clay is as good as any, I just hadn't seen it before. That and I don't think names should be a thing that is translated. But I guess the meaning would have been lost anyway as no one in the states has any idea about Japanese Buddhist traditions.

Any recommendations on games (DS/PSP/PS3)? The only one I have played was ギアスピリット and that was kind of unsatisfactory.

Well its not like Bon Clay is even a translation of お盆 (bon kurei). A real translation would be something silly like "festival of lanterns". And considering that 100% of the searches for bon kurei just go to the One Piece character, i don't think its a particularly good romanization for the holiday either.

also all the OP games suck, especially that DS one. Try the Wii one or the new PS3 one i suppose.

Oh Eneru God how did I not realize that name pun

In that case, Ener really is the perfect localization. Really weird that they stuck with the u.
Yeah, normally you eliminate the "u" sound that the japanese language loves adding to everything. But just "Ener" sounds kinda weird so I understand why the kept it.

Is that really what his name is? Then the Hebrew pun/translation is such an amazing coincidence, oh wow. I'm tempted to keep using Enel just because of it

Yeah, its probably a coincidence. Kinda like how "Luffy" and a "luff" is just a coincidence.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So much for "One Piece is dying" huh?
Though, that may just be the people that always hated it saying all that...

One Piece is only on a decline in the sense that Fishman Island wasn't as popular and didn't sell as well as what came the year before it, i.e. the best selling shounen story arc of all time.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece is only on a decline in the sense that Fishman Island wasn't as popular and didn't sell as well as what came the year before it, i.e. the best selling shounen story arc of all time.

And it still sold 23 million total volumes, and is consistently in the Top 5 in WSJ.
Granted, this is NeoGAF. Where doom and gloom is the norm.

That is not so at all , the sales for FI Vols were even higher than the war arc .
This is due to the fact that more people had caught up during that time .

People like to say OP on the decline because they look at yearly Vols sales .
Truth is OP will never sell those amounts again because all the new fans were buying vols like crazy .
The new Vols now sell 3 million plus each .

Just wait till Marineford II : Let's get dangerous

Well i expect it going to lose some sales until it to that point .
Still i can see OP jumping again when we get near the ending but who knows how may years that will be .

Also made a mistake the Vols ship 4 million copies but they sell at least 3 million before they drop off the charts .

tumblr_mfidl3TA1N1qdunrvo1_500.gif

And I think that means Im finally caught up. Somersaulting Sunny was my favorite part as well as Luffy, overall good filler arc with good fights
so many gomu gomu attacks, Luffy ftw!

Wish the movie were somehow coming out in the west.

BatDan

I was looking through some dub comparison clips, and saw the scene of Usopp getting scared by the Hiking Bear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIUgEk4vXNU

What's weird is 4Kids changed him to "Teddy the Mountain Man" and Dalton claims he ate the old Mountain Man.
So, let me get this straight. Violence is bad, guns are bad, death is bad, cleavage is bad, Mr. 5 picking his nose is bad, but implied cannibalism is a-okay. This dub is an enigma.

Drago

Just finished Skypiea. Not a bad arc per se, it was just really boring and long. Glad it's over. :/

G-8 is next which I hear is a great arc, despite it's filler status. Will try to finish that tonight if I can.

SykoTech

Just finished Skypiea. Not a bad arc per se, it was just really boring and long. Glad it's over. :/

G-8 is next which I hear is a great arc, despite it's filler status. Will try to finish that tonight if I can.

G8 was alright. Nothing amazing and one particular detail about a character really contadicts canon material that is still to come. But that won't matter your first time though. Enjoy it.

After that is a short breather arc, followed by more filler.....and then perhaps the greatest arc(s) ever. Have fun.

Diablos54

I'm just about to start the arc after you in my rewatch, I watched Skypiea in like, 3 days or so? I thought it was better than most people say, but I can't imagine having to watch it week to week, it would have annoyed me. It was also the first time I watched G8 as well, I thought it was pretty good as well.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Getting back into One Piece. Been watching the odd episode. Right now I am watching the Water 7/Enies Lobby arcs. Just on the episode where
Luffy and Usopp fight each other. I always thought it was poor form for the opening to show that :lol

Anteater

I kind of like skypiea, it's one of the arcs I re-read, I'm surprised people didn't like it, foxy and the early portions of OP are the only ones I don't really read much.

BatDan

Skypeia is a pretty big "very important later in the series" arc.

Yeah, just like Fishman Island will be in a couple years.

Punk Hazard starts tonight. The voices for Caesar Clown and Kin'emon have been confirmed. I wonder who will play Monet and Vergo.

SykoTech

Still no new opening? Really? :/

Didn't see any Film Z footage either, just the same old opening that's been going for well over a year now. So sick of We Go....and I actually like We Go.

Good episode though. Nice to have One Piece back on track already (lol, Naruto filler).

Still no new opening? Really? :/

Didn't see any Film Z footage either, just the same old opening that's been going for well over a year now. So sick of We Go....and I actually like We Go.

Good episode though. Nice to have One Piece back on track already (lol, Naruto filler).

I'd take a few months of filler if it means this arc won't get dragged down with DBZ style filler. But on the other hand, I'm super excited to see it asap.

G8 is a good comedy arc but even if you didn't know it was filler it will shoot up a lot of warning flags that it's filler. Still very enjoyable though, much better then the next canon arc
Foxy

Also haters gonna hate on We Go

Cwarrior

Skypiea is defiantly an amazing arc better then any arc that came before it all though not as great as the one that comes after it.

I can understand how some people may dislike it, as the adventure aspect, support characters and world building took an even bigger focus then usual, this time over the main character & their usual big fights,the arc never really had hyped up opponents each straw hats had to face.

The central focus for the arc became skypiea's inhabitants(conis,wiper,ganfall) the people of shandra & their 400 year war with the people of sky island to reclaim their homeland.

Gradivus

Well i expect it going to lose some sales until it to that point .
Still i can see OP jumping again when we get near the ending but who knows how may years that will be .

Also made a mistake the Vols ship 4 million copies but they sell at least 3 million before they drop off the charts .

Not to mention, Strong World helped introduce more people to buy the volumes. Usually the adults that don't have time to read the weekly Shonen Jump or watch the anime, that's where the movies come in to help.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a little bit of a jump in sales again due to Z's success.

789shadow

Banned
God, the fucking intros are SO FUCKING LONG. How many times does the narrator need to do his New World speech? By the time you get past the opening, the narration, and overly long previously on, there's nothing left.

bort

God, the fucking intros are SO FUCKING LONG. How many times does the narrator need to do his New World speech? By the time you get past the opening, the narration, and overly long previously on, there's nothing left.

that's the entire point of all that :p They can't pass the manga so they have to add something to make it all go slower.

KtSlime

Hey, at least they gained an extra minute and half when they axed the ED years ago.

But yeah, I felt the opening and recap was especially long yesterday, almost Bleach like in length.

Steroyd

That's how Toei rocks, the alternative is crippling filler arcs for long masses of time instead of a couple of episodes. *shudders*

BatDan

It really is a double-edged sword.
No filler: 1:1 pacing where scenes are stretched out and it takes ages to got anywhere.
Filler: Allows for better canon pacing in exchange for pace-breaking filler arcs that will be forgotten about after it's done. Plus, the chance that something worse than Apis and Little East Blue comes along. Like Naruto's Curry of Life.

Apparently, the 1:1 pacing doesn't bother Japanese fans as it's consistently one of the highest rated anime.

I'm totally cool with 1:1 pacing when done well IE I think this weeks episode packed in a good amount of plot and humor and nothing felt elongated. The areas where it got bad in Fishman Isle was when every attack had like 5 reaction shots -.-

aechris

I'm not sue which I prefer. For posterity's sake I might prefer some filler or even breaks so rewatches are tolerable. I've rewatched Sabaody a couple times because it's awesome and the pacing is great, but there's no way I'm watching through Enies Lobby or Fishman again. It's too long and dragged out.

I kinda expected them to keep the opening, but still disappointing. Like others, I'm getting sick of "We Go".

I enjoyed this episode and thought that it was paced pretty good.

KtSlime

I kinda expected them to keep the opening, but still disappointing. Like others, I'm getting sick of "We Go".

I enjoyed this episode and thought that it was paced pretty good.

How are we supposed to know who the enemies and friends are if they don't have a 2 minute montage of them at the beginning of the episode? =)

Will the OP and ED for water 7 just not be dubbed in english at all, have they updated us on that (just started ep 230) oh and has he show received a visual upgrade or at least got higher quality, looks vastly much better than the earlier releases.

230 - 241

Yeah this arc is really well done and impressive. I really feel as if something has changed with the visuals, or it just looks newer, more colorfu, crisper and etc. Anyway way more tense and emotional than I remember it being. Perhaps the anime significantly improved the source as I feel this arc and how it leads into cp9? is rising higher on my arc ratings list. I did get really emotional when
Luffy and Usopp were really yelling at each other and throwing words at each other and Sanji had to stop them and etc. Then when they fought, I dont remember it being like that in the manga, felt way more pressing and that you could really feel their feelings, like it was being telegraphed too us well. Poor Merry, just sad thinking about it, and then Robin defecting as well.

I liked it all.

Maron

Will the OP and ED for water 7 just not be dubbed in english at all, have they updated us on that (just started ep 230) oh and has he show received a visual upgrade or at least got higher quality, looks vastly much better than the earlier releases.

Until further notice the songs will stay undubbed. They've said they're still trying and hoping though.

And rumor has it that this song is gonna be the new opening.

So everyone sick of We Go! can look forward to that I guess. Keep in mind it's only a rumor.

Until further notice the songs will stay undubbed. They've said they're still trying and hoping though.

And rumor has it that this song is gonna be the new opening.

So everyone sick of We Go! can look forward to that I guess. Keep in mind it's only a rumor.

So where is the source of this rumor? Like where was this song found?

Edit: Is this a vocaloid? I feel trolled

Maron

So where is the source of this rumor? Like where was this song found?

Edit: Is this a vocaloid? I feel trolled

Doesn't seem to have any substantial source, just some people posting it around as a possible new opening. So yeah, I'm thinking this isn't it.

...Although I clearly managed to convince myself it was possible enough to be something worth posting due to Toei's controversial Opening 12...

BatDan

Woooooo! Finally!
After months of looking for deals, I finally have all 19 available volumes of One Piece. That includes Season 1 Volumes 1-4, Season 2 Volumes 1-7, Season 3 Volumes 1-5, and Season 4 Volumes 1-3 (with 4 coming in March). I also have Movie 8.

Yay.

tumblr_mg7g4n75NM1qzj1clo1_250.gif
tumblr_mg7g4n75NM1qzj1clo2_250.gif
tumblr_mg7g4n75NM1qzj1clo3_250.gif

Overlaying Film Z footage with We Go made me chuckle and then weep bitterly as I realized I wont be able to see the movie by the time I graduate in three+ years. Looked really good. Ive been waiting so long for one moment in this and it was so good even with Luffy's voice and silly face. Hope this arc is a good improvement over the manga form and cant wait for
Traffy

Top Bottom