• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I swear to god I have no idea how people as thin as Robin and Nami can hold up those colossal boobs.

It can happen. I have a friend that's skinny but also has enormous breasts. Even she doesn't know how it happened.

Wait, did I just see DTL post a gif of a female character?

BatDan

DTL JUST BROKE CHARACTER.

Quoting in case he tries to edit it out.

tumblr_mg7g4n75NM1qzj1clo1_250.gif
tumblr_mg7g4n75NM1qzj1clo2_250.gif
tumblr_mg7g4n75NM1qzj1clo3_250.gif

Overlaying Film Z footage with We Go made me chuckle and then weep bitterly as I realized I wont be able to see the movie by the time I graduate in three+ years. Looked really good. Ive been waiting so long for one moment in this and it was so good even with Luffy's voice and silly face. Hope this arc is a good improvement over the manga form and cant wait for
Traffy

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
There are like 5 different rumored/fake opening songs right now. The japanese fanbase is trolling themselves out of impatience lol

Gradivus

There was a camera leak on youtube before of the whole Z movie( camera quality ). I must say the fights scenes in that were great. I will buy this once it's out on blueray.

Whoa. I haven't seen the anime since the end of Water 7 (mostly just watching the dub now, so I'll probably properly catch up when it gets there) and just watched a few clips as I was bored and..what on earth happened to Robin? She looks like a completely different character! I mean, the fanservice has slowly been creeping up ever since the start, but now going to be impossible to ignore.

On a more positive note, or well, more positive for me, the Funimation dub is really well done. It was kind of weak in the beginning but by the time it gets to Nami's arc it really starts being awesome. The Water 7 episodes have been fantastic too.

BHK3

Banned
Whoa. I haven't seen the anime since the end of Water 7 (mostly just watching the dub now, so I'll probably properly catch up when it gets there) and just watched a few clips as I was bored and..what on earth happened to Robin? She looks like a completely different character! I mean, the fanservice has slowly been creeping up ever since the start, but now going to be impossible to ignore.

On a more positive note, or well, more positive for me, the Funimation dub is really well done. It was kind of weak in the beginning but by the time it gets to Nami's arc it really starts being awesome. The Water 7 episodes have been fantastic too.

I dropped the anime the second I saw the new world designs in the manga, waited until they finished up the sabo arc and havent watched it since then. I abhor fanservice and the last thing I wanna do is see that garbage in motion.

Drago

I haven't been watching anything of the show for a week now, mostly to prevent OP burnout and I spent all my free time watching Awesome Games Done Quick. I'm gonna get back to watching tomorrow, and I know that a lot of episodes after Skypiea are filler. So, what episodes from 196 (start of G-8) to 227 (beginning of Water 7) are worth watching?

BatDan

I haven't been watching anything of the show for a week now, mostly to prevent OP burnout and I spent all my free time watching Awesome Games Done Quick. I'm gonna get back to watching tomorrow, and I know that a lot of episodes after Skypiea are filler. So, what episodes from 196 (start of G-8) to 227 (beginning of Water 7) are worth watching?

G8 is one of the best filler arcs in anime ever. Even though
Vice Admiral Johnathan's friendship with Akainu becomes weird when you learn what he's really like.
Still, it's very enjoyable, and kind of feels like an actual One Piece arc. Compared to something like Apis or the Rainbow Mist.

Davy Back Fight is actually canon... sort of. See, Oda did put DBF in the manga but intended it to be a "fun arc with no consequences" so the new characters aren't really important. Toei didn't think that and put Foxy in a few filler episodes following it. The matches that happen in the manga are the boat race, the Groggy Ring, and the boxing match between the captains. All the events between the Groggy Ring and the boxing match are filler. Especially the part where Chopper eats two Rumble Balls in a short time, and we learn later
doing that fucks up his transformations

After it ends, skip the filler. 227 is where the canon stuff starts back up as the crew meets Aokiji. Interesting to note: In the manga, the meeting with Aokiji happens immediately after the DBF, tying the two arcs together.

On fanservice: The fanservice in One Piece has never bothered me. It's not distracting.
But if you want to blame someone, blame Oda's wife.

It's more a fault of Oda's terrible art style (when it comes to female characters) so you can't fault the anime too much.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Skip 220-224. Watch everything else.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It's more a fault of Oda's terrible art style (when it comes to female characters) so you can't fault the anime too much.

Nah, the anime has really fucked Robin up. Specifically ever since the timeskip. Oda's design of her is a little questionable now, but it just requires very precise drawings to not make her look like an idiot. Alas, the anime's drawings are FAR from "precise," so she looks inbred 9 times out of 10. Really a shame, I used to love Robin. GUESS NAMI WILL HAVE TO DO.

Drago

3sVvb.png

Also, thanks for the guidance BatDan and Metatron

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who is only 50 episodes in so far, this looks fucking hilarious to me. Please tell me Nami doesn't look like this too?

To be fair, that's a particularly bad and exaggerated shot in an episode where she was notably over-endowed compared to even her normal ridiculous proportions.

Nami isn't QUITE that bad, but close. Also Nami tends to be wearing less than Robin...

uk87A.jpg

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm too early in to be worrying about that stuff. I'm just gonna assume there is a perfectly logical reason for why she looks like that now lol.

She basically just gets progressively bustier and bustier over the course of the series. The process really starts in Arabasta.

She's a growing girl!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Robin's iconic identifier was really her bangs, I do hate that she lost them in the timeskip. The glasses are pretty shitty, too, but she doesn't really wear them through Punk Hazard. Hopefully the anime will start doing a better job with her as the arc goes on, she looks pretty good with just her hair down and not held back. (Pic: no spoilers, but linked anyway.) I'm glad that Oda always changes outfits for the women with each arc, so we're never stuck with anything TOO shitty, though I wonder if Nami's just going to be wearing different bikini tops forever now. Pretty shameless, that.

Korosenai

Nah, the anime has really fucked Robin up. Specifically ever since the timeskip. Oda's design of her is a little questionable now, but it just requires very precise drawings to not make her look like an idiot. Alas, the anime's drawings are FAR from "precise," so she looks inbred 9 times out of 10. Really a shame, I used to love Robin. GUESS NAMI WILL HAVE TO DO.
This kind of explains it perfectly. Its how i feel about it too.

I'm too early in to be worrying about that stuff. I'm just gonna assume there is a perfectly logical reason for why she looks like that now lol.

A reason? I thought most of the shonen mangaka just arbitrarily make them bigger and bigger each arc in their series for no reason.

I think the bigger issue is the type of outfits Oda gives them, it never makes sense for their outfits, Nami and Robin alternate with having clothes that show too much skin or for Robin shes way too olde to be wearing such clothes.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
A reason? I thought most of the shonen mangaka just arbitrarily make them bigger and bigger each arc in their series for no reason.

I think the bigger issue is the type of outfits Oda gives them, it never makes sense for their outfits, Nami and Robin alternate with having clothes that show too much skin or for Robin shes way too olde to be wearing such clothes.

30 is way too old to be wearing a long skirt and a shirt that shows some cleavage?

BatDan

Isn't Robin the Fugo (JJBA) of One Piece? A power that's insanely cheap and hard to write fights for?

Raxus

Isn't Robin the Fugo (JJBA) of One Piece? A power that's insanely cheap and hard to write fights for?

What's even worse is the
time skip
somehow made her powers even more broken. Without any definition on what her limits are I wonder what point Robin has on the crew besides spouting exposition and forgetting to use her powers. It is a shame because all the best arcs in One piece (Alabasta and Enies) all revolved around Robin and she has probably the most interesting backstory.

Drago

I'm not up to the timeskip yet (far from it) but I like the designs of all the pre-timeskip main characters better. :(

BatDan

What's even worse is the
time skip
somehow made her powers even more broken. Without any definition on what her limits are I wonder what point Robin has on the crew besides spouting exposition and forgetting to use her powers. It is a shame because all the best arcs in One piece (Alabasta and Enies) all revolved around Robin and she has probably the most interesting backstory.

That really wasn't about Robin until the end of it. It was about Vivi saving her country.

BatDan

When were the last major fights Nami/Robin had?

Nami's was Kalifa back in Enies Lobby. I'm not counting Absalom as that was more Sanji's fight and she one-shotted him.
Robin's was Yama waaay back in Skypiea. She did participate in a couple in Thriller Bark but they weren't solo battles. There was also Hammond in Fishman Island but like the other battles that was a curbstomp.

MCD

All Robin does now is giggle and tour the islands on her own.

@DTL the movie costumes are just straight up milking for dat extra cash from figures. Not a big deal anyway.

BatDan

Isn't the whole point of the movies to sell toys and merch? The manga is telling a story, the anime is adapting that story into motion along with selling toys.

By the way, objecting to a 30 year old woman wearing skirts and cleavage-bearing tops, but no problems with the 36 year old man running around in a speedo. Double standards?

Isn't the whole point of the movies to sell toys and merch? The manga is telling a story, the anime is adapting that story into motion along with selling toys.

By the way, objecting to a 30 year old woman wearing skirts and cleavage-bearing tops, but no problems with the 36 year old man running around in a speedo. Double standards?

Franky also isn't completely human <_<

Top Bottom