• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Mr. Fix

My memory is just naturally awful, but I believe that while they were on the train to Enies, Luffy stepped out of the train saying that he wanted to try out a new technique. I think he also asked about how the train (the gears) worked prior to that, which was basically pumping.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
And, I just got up to episode 273.
Can someone fully explain Luffy's Gear power to me? I didn't really understand it in the show. Like, how does he do it, when did he learn it, what does he do to achieve it... agh o_o

Luffy speeds up his blood-flow, providing more oxygen and nutrients to his body, giving him a speed and strength boost.
The wiki page on Gear Second explains. Only read the top part, not anything below that as it will have spoilers. http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Gomu_Gomu_no_Mi/Gear_Second_Techniques

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I only just watched the last episode today. I used to be anime-only, but when Bleach forced me into the world of manga, I broke down and started to read all of the big three. So this is my first One Piece arc that I started in the manga before seeing animated.

SO, it's neat to see the voices! All that fuckin "bu bu bu" on the Samurai dude I didn't remember, but with his head today talking normal, I guess the bu's were just his legs for some reason. So I'm glad that won't have to last. And Frieza as Ceasar, that works better than I woulda figured. I had him sorta goofier in my head, maybe closer to Buggy, but I'll allow this.

BatDan

I only just watched the last episode today. I used to be anime-only, but when Bleach forced me into the world of manga, I broke down and started to read all of the big three. So this is my first One Piece arc that I started in the manga before seeing animated.

SO, it's neat to see the voices! All that fuckin "bu bu bu" on the Samurai dude I didn't remember, but with his head today talking normal, I guess the bu's were just his legs for some reason. So I'm glad that won't have to last. And Frieza as Ceasar, that works better than I woulda figured. I had him sorta goofier in my head, maybe closer to Buggy, but I'll allow this.

The "bu bu bu" is
Kinemon talking with his farts.
The manga didn't translate that as amateur translators tend not to include verbal tics. Like Neptune's "Jamon", which I didn't know about until I saw the anime.

Drago

Luffy speeds up his blood-flow, providing more oxygen and nutrients to his body, giving him a speed and strength boost.
The wiki page on Gear Second explains. Only read the top part, not anything below that as it will have spoilers. http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Gomu_Gomu_no_Mi/Gear_Second_Techniques

Thanks for the link. I understand it a bit better now :)

I really can't wait to see more Gear techniques, the
Luffy vs. Blueno battle
is already one of my favorites because of it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The "bu bu bu" is
Kinemon talking with his farts.
The manga didn't translate that as amateur translators tend not to include verbal tics. Like Neptune's "Jamon", which I didn't know about until I saw the anime.

I went back and looked earlier, and the bu's actually were in there, I guess they just didn't make an impression on me. I sure didn't realize
they were farts, though
, ha.

BatDan

I went back and looked earlier, and the bu's actually were in there, I guess they just didn't make an impression on me. I sure didn't realize
they were farts, though
, ha.

Bu is the Japanese sound for farting. Hence Franky's Coup de Boo. A proper English translation would be "pfft". ... I can't believe I"m discussing fart sounds.

Soriku

oda's wife must have serious back problems by now

Her boobs get bigger when Oda draws bigger boobs?

Actually I wonder what she thinks of all these One Piece boobies. Seeing those old shots of Nami and Robin are so nostalgic and I've only been watching One Piece for like...3 years I believe?

No one has watched the episode of luffy yet?

i've seen it on youtube before it was taken down. It was the raw though. I don't recall any new techniques shown, a lot of the moves we saw on Fishman island we see again in episode of Luffy, only animated much better. Only exception being Coby and seeing how much stronger he got after the timeskip. Does anyone know if its been subbed yet? I can't find a sub anywhere and its the length of maybe 3 episodes, i dont understand why its taking so long to sub.

3ukvp4d.jpg

One Piece 582: Shock! The Secret of the Island is Finally Revealed!

One Piece 583 Preview: Save the Children! Gang Fight Starts!

dani_dc

- The one moment I hated:
Akainu: "What's wrong Ace? Chicken?" Ace: "Nobody, NOBODY calls me chicken!" ARE. YOU. FUCKING. KIDDING. ME. At least he died saving Luffy and not just being one-shot after pulling the McFly. What the fuck.

That sounds like a bad translation,
what I recall was Akainu calling Whitebeard a coward/loser and Ace taking issue with Akainu insulting Whitebeard, not Akainu insulting Ace.

BatDan

Of course it is. The author is sexually frustrated, not stupid lol

Oda works 21 hours a day, he doesn't get much time to spend with his wife and kids.
There's actually running joke that the increase in fanservice is due to Oda being extra horny for his wife. I can see that.

tumblr_mh180cYKEn1r7xd5jo1_500.gif

Could have used a bit more action but at least big food was involved. Probably slowest episode thus far in the arc, but still entertaining.

I wonder how long will the Film Z clips stay in the OP, they really are quite a bit more exciting than the episode contents...

Drago

Finished Enies Lobby arc earlier today.

Best arc yet, holy shit. I can't even think of anything really wrong with it.

Episode 583 is a reminder of why One Piece is truly so awesome, when Nami decides to help the children and the Straw Hats burst into action it's just an adrenaline rush.

Though I don't know why they were running away from some weak goons in the first place :p
(I guess you could argue that they don't want to risk the sleep gas again without having a good defence first?)

Though I don't know why they were running away from some weak goons in the first place :p
(I guess you could argue that they don't want to risk the sleep gas again without having a good defence first?)

No reason to fight and make more enemies unnecessarily, escaping and accessing the situation was probably the wisest thing to do.

BatDan

For those holding off, One Piece Pirate Warriors will be on sale starting tomorrow at $25 dollars. Way better than the $50 it normally is.

franky_punch_by_tristtrist-d5udwoa.gif

A good take on the source material and actually quite more interesting. Franky finally doing something of note was pretty good, still one of the worst straw hats but still has a good moment every now and then. Disappointed how they handled Sanji, why make him seem so heartless?

Ban Puncher

For the first time in a decade, I am finally caught up to current manga chapters and anime episodes.

Time to go dark for a few years so I can marathon entire arcs again.

BatDan

When are they changing the opening already? Punk Hazard isn't even represented in it. WTF Toei?

Seriously, it's beyond annoying now. I hope it's not like Toriko which has had the same theme in its entire run... please give us something soon!

As someone who doesn't follow the manga...HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT. Did not see that ending coming :O

It gets better. Sooo much better.

Kokonoe

Banned
Just watched 1-15 and I have to say GAF was right, One Piece is great, I love it. I've been watching the funimation version and this is really great dubbing.

Top Bottom