• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Kokonoe

Banned
Once you catch up in the dub and start watching sub, you'll understand.

I really dislike stuff like this, I actually watched the first few episodes subbed before I decided to go with the dub. I prefer the Funimation dub, there's nothing wrong with that.

I will in fact watch sub when I have to, but for now I'm watching the dub.

Wiseblade

I like the dub. It's one of Funimation's finest.

Yeah, but it's full of the same two dozen people doing the same voices for everyone. If that doesn't bother you then more power to ya, but for me it's like

NO ZORO

YOU'RE NOT PICCOLO

GREEN HAIR IS NOT THE SAME

And it's more distracting than it's worth.

Yeah, but it's full of the same two dozen people doing the same voices for everyone. If that doesn't bother you then more power to ya, but for me it's like

NO ZORO

YOU'RE NOT PICCOLO

GREEN HAIR IS NOT THE SAME

And it's more distracting than it's worth.

It's really only a problem if you've watched Funimations dub of Dragon Ball Z...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So everyone, ever?

Not everyone has seen DBZ.
Granted, the chances of seeing One Piece without seeing DBZ is rare, but it can still happen.

Also, LUFFY IS THE SAME VOICE AS KRILLIN! THIS IS SO DISTRACTING WHEN WATCHING THE JAPANESE VERSION!
Yeah, that complaint is dumb.

jbug617

Banned
One Piece just hooked me. I have the DVDs but never watched the series before but watching it this weekend it has been a pleasure. I just got to Grand Line and can't wait to see what appens from there. Also the marathon feature on the dvds is very useful.

KtSlime

No I'm not!

But it's true that I don't really like the dub all that much. I can't stand Zoro sounding like Piccolo and Usopp having Krillin's voice.

Krillin is voiced by Tanaka Mayumi, which is the same voice actress as Luffy. Zoro is voiced by Nakai Kazuya, who I don't think ever appeared in DB/DBZ.

Wiseblade: I think I have only seen one or two of the Funi episodes of DBZ.

BatDan: Yeah, it's a really silly complaint, some people's heads must explode when they see an actor in multiple movies.

BatDan

Krillin is voiced by Tanaka Mayumi, which is the same voice actress as Luffy. Zoro is voiced by Nakai Kazuya, who I don't think ever appeared in DB/DBZ.

Nope, he was never in DB/DBZ, but he is Mugen in Samurai Champloo.
Also, Usopp is Ranma and Inuyasha, and Chopper is Pikachu.

Japanese voice actors doing different roles is just as common.

Wiseblade

Not everyone has seen DBZ.
Granted, the chances of seeing One Piece without seeing DBZ is rare, but it can still happen.

Also, LUFFY IS THE SAME VOICE AS KRILLIN! THIS IS SO DISTRACTING WHEN WATCHING THE JAPANESE VERSION!
Yeah, that complaint is dumb.
Yeah, but I didn't grow up watching the Japanese DBZ dub.

Although I feel for little Japanese kids watching DB Kai and One Piece back to back.

Moaradin

I really dislike stuff like this, I actually watched the first few episodes subbed before I decided to go with the dub. I prefer the Funimation dub, there's nothing wrong with that.

I will in fact watch sub when I have to, but for now I'm watching the dub.

I'm with you. If I have the option to watch a quality dub, I'll chose that over the sub any day. Once I get to the point where I have no more dubbed episodes to watch, I'll just wait for Funimation to release more DVD box sets. I'm far too attached to the dubbed characters to ever switch. Episode 35-44 sold me on the dub.

I think I prefer the funiDub overall but for character eccentries, they kind of dont transfer over into english well (Sanji's-swan thing, certain character laughs). Though in the JPN I dont like some of the voices, Robin sounds way too old (perfect in english), Luffy a bit too young.

Kokonoe

Banned
Usopp hammer! Usopp hammer! Usopp hammer! Usopp hammer!

hilarious.

I'm with you. If I have the option to watch a quality dub, I'll chose that over the sub any day. Once I get to the point where I have no more dubbed episodes to watch, I'll just wait for Funimation to release more DVD box sets. I'm far too attached to the dubbed characters to ever switch. Episode 35-44 sold me on the dub.

Yeah, I do enjoy a good dub myself, it's always lovely to watch something in the language you understand. I do want to learn Japanese some day, but even so most of the time I do like english speaking voice actors more due to how they sound.

Yeah, but I didn't grow up watching the Japanese DBZ dub.

Although I feel for little Japanese kids watching DB Kai and One Piece back to back.

Maybe that could explain why DB Kai wasn't as popular in Japan as it was over here? If most of the kids watching One Piece then saw DB Kai they might do the same "wtf it sounds like One Piece" as most Americans did the reverse of.

Kokonoe

Banned
Maybe that could explain why DB Kai wasn't as popular in Japan as it was over here? If most of the kids watching One Piece then saw DB Kai they might do the same "wtf it sounds like One Piece" as most Americans did the reverse of.

DBZ Kai hasn't done too well anywhere from what I recall, and it isn't anything noteworthy I don't think. The few scenes that have the new animations look quite awful and you can easily tell what is apart of the original anime as it is a lot more detailed by comparison and less cartoonish, while the Kai scenes lack the detail.

BatDan

DBZ Kai hasn't done too well anywhere from what I recall, and it isn't anything noteworthy I don't think. The few scenes that have the new animations look quite awful and you can easily tell what is apart of the original anime as it is a lot more detailed by comparison and less cartoonish, while the Kai scenes lack the detail.

I think it did well enough in the US for Toei to go back and do the Buu saga specifically for a Western audience.

Also, TV spots like this probably didn't help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Bwzk1p_Xs

Kokonoe

Banned
Chopper's backstory...

tumblr_mh4tl9DJmb1qgap4ho3_r1_500.gif

Wow, I don't usually get emotionally effected like that but that was truly sad.

Chopper's backstory...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/ad76af50fc7be56ef06010de2de11319/tumblr_mh4tl9DJmb1qgap4ho3_r1_500.gif[IMG]

Wow, I don't usually get emotionally effected like that but that was truly sad.[/QUOTE]
oh man i can't wait until you get to later points in the series

BatDan

Just a reminder, there's no episode next week.
Hopefully they announce in the next Jump that there's a new opening soon.

Drago

And then if you think that's sad, just wait til you catch up and realize we are still about 10 years away from the end of One piece :(
This is going to suck

I'm at episode 345 (haven't watched for a while, hoping I get back into the groove this week) and even though I'm still quite aways off from catching up, I'm really going to be sad the day that I do. One episode a week is going to be torture :(

SykoTech

Let out an audible groan when I started the episode and We Go was still there as the opening. Make it stop.

Chopper's backstory...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/ad76af50fc7be56ef06010de2de11319/tumblr_mh4tl9DJmb1qgap4ho3_r1_500.gif

Wow, I don't usually get emotionally effected like that but that was truly sad.

Make sure to stay away from youtube comments on One Piece vids and stuff like that until you're caught up. Probably best to tread this thread lightly as well. As tear-jerking as Chopper's backstory was (and Nami's), this show's just getting started. You really don't want any of it spoiled for you. That goes everyone else who is going through the show for the first time.

Keep posting impressions though. I love reading that stuff!

If anyone is interested in the One Piece English volumes, Rightstuf is having a Viz Media 33% off manga sale up until the end of the month.

Also, Amazon has vol. 66 up for a pre-order price of $5.92. I managed to grab that and vol 62. I'm excited to be able to read Punk Hazard in print form at last.

Kokonoe

Banned
Alabasta arc was great, I'm at Episode 145 now. Alabasta Spoilers
The whole castle and resistance part just kept going left and right, and even though I was partially spoiled on a wikia page that Crocodile is defeated by Luffy, still, every time I kept thinking everything was saved this guy had like a plan for everything. It's nice to see a villain like that, even though I don't care for bad guys myself.

The arc also really won me over with the funimation voice actors, especially Luffy, so darn good. Usopp's voice is absolutely hilarious, it's perfect.

I also like Carue a lot as well. Honestly surprised by this series, it's already in my top anime of all time.

Make sure to stay away from youtube comments on One Piece vids and stuff like that until you're caught up. Probably best to tread this thread lightly as well. As tear-jerking as Chopper's backstory was (and Nami's), this show's just getting started. You really don't want any of it spoiled for you. That goes everyone else who is going through the show for the first time.

Keep posting impressions though. I love reading that stuff!

Yeah, I've been trying, although someone already posted wait until you see Nico's backstory, that's probably not so much of a big spoiler and all but it's kinda spoilerish to me so I'll be sure to tread more lightly. I like being surprised.

Sure thing!

-edit-

Although, I probably should have spoiler tagged my same thing about the Chopper one.
This. Keep posting impressions, and just use the user cp to see who quoted you to read the replies to what you post.

That is an interesting feature, I'll be sure to do that.

I love reading first-time One Piece impressions :3

If anyone is interested in the One Piece English volumes, Rightstuf is having a Viz Media 33% off manga sale up until the end of the month.

Also, Amazon has vol. 66 up for a pre-order price of $5.92. I managed to grab that and vol 62. I'm excited to be able to read Punk Hazard in print form at last.
Ooh, thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to check the sale out and grab one or two.

Punk Hazard really has too many groups to follow at the beginning, the fact we won't really see Smoker vs Law for 2 more episodes is bogus

Edit: Also I'll post this here as well to complete the cycle, this is the rumored final roster for One Piece Musou 2, it's worth mentioning because this was posted about 5 days before today's reveal of Garp, Post time skip Aokiji, Akainu, and Kizaru

Time Skip Strawhats + Jimbei, Pretime skip Strawhats + Jimbei, Garp, Smoker, Akainu, Aokiji, Kizaru, Kuma, Mihawk, Hancock, Law, Crocodile, Whitebeard, Marco, Ace, Blackbeard, Enel/eru, and Perona

KtSlime

Punk Hazard really has too many groups to follow at the beginning, the fact we won't really see Smoker vs Law for 2 more episodes is bogus

Edit: Also I'll post this here as well to complete the cycle, this is the rumored final roster for One Piece Musou 2, it's worth mentioning because this was posted about 5 days before today's reveal of Garp, Post time skip Aokiji, Akainu, and Kizaru

Time Skip Strawhats + Jimbei, Pretime skip Strawhats + Jimbei, Garp, Smoker, Akainu, Aokiji, Kizaru, Kuma, Mihawk, Hancock, Law, Crocodile, Whitebeard, Marco, Ace, Blackbeard, Enel/eru, and Perona

I've been playing the first one (JPN release), and so far like it. Best OP game yet. Although I never play the Musou series, so I imagine those who do would be bored with this game. It looks like it plays just like the 30 other games in that series. There are some corners cut, and I don't care for how static the story is shown (lots of low action manga panels) at times, but I do like how it is done as a recap. The voice acting is good, but I expected that much. I'm about to go play
Impel Down
hopefully it is harder and has more enemies than
Enis Lobby
did.

All in all, I think it is a fun way to re-experience the story.

This week's episode was pretty good, had some funny jokes. Sucks that we have another hiatus already.

I've been playing the first one (JPN release), and so far like it. Best OP game yet. Although I never play the Musou series, so I imagine those who do would be bored with this game. It looks like it plays just like the 30 other games in that series. There are some corners cut, and I don't care for how static the story is shown (lots of low action manga panels) at times, but I do like how it is done as a recap. The voice acting is good, but I expected that much. I'm about to go play
Impel Down
hopefully it is harder and has more enemies than
Enis Lobby
did.

All in all, I think it is a fun way to re-experience the story.

This week's episode was pretty good, had some funny jokes. Sucks that we have another hiatus already.

Worst thing about the final mission is how difficult it is to get the canon ending, other then that the "hardest" part is that you're forced to play Boa, Whitebeard, and Ace for the first time during it. Boa's the only one that's awkward to play as, Ace is easy to figure out how to play and Whitebeard is over powered

Top Bottom