• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Kokonoe

Banned
You know what's great about this manga/anime? Everyone is useful and each character gets their time to shine and not just share the spotlight, shine in their own right.

You know what's great about this manga/anime? Everyone is useful and each character gets their time to shine and not just share the spotlight, shine in their own right.

Yes, but it can also be it's flaw later on, when you have 8-9 main protagonist and a few supporting characters and 8-9 villains per arc (so everyone can get a 1v1 fight) things tend to drag. It won't bother you when you marathon it but it'll be painful when you're caught up reading/watching week to week.

I respectufully disagree. I think many of the characters are actually cheated of the spotlight, the weak trio, for example, if they truly did get their chance to shine and contribute in actually meaningful ways then I dont think theyd rank so low in power and opinion.

Steroyd

I respectufully disagree. I think many of the characters are actually cheated of the spotlight, the weak trio, for example, if they truly did get their chance to shine and contribute in actually meaningful ways then I dont think theyd rank so low in power and opinion.

There's more to contribution than just brute strength you know.

And Ussop held his own against Luffy far longer than anyone could have imagined during the water 7 arc.

KtSlime

Yeah. I know it is Usopp's role for everyone to shit on him, but man Dedication Through Light, ease up on the guy. LOL

OP does a great job of letting characters shine, compared to most shows at least. I think it is what attracts me the most about the series. The history, mysteries, abilities and world while neat are just scenery. I have little interest in what shaped the world they exist in, and that's rare for me, OP has such great characters that it is their stories, struggles, and triumphs, that hold my interest.

Soriku

My problem with Usopp is that even after the timeskip and living on the man-eating island for 2 years he doesn't stop whining if things look dangerous. Pretty sure the island he was on was way scarier than some bird lady or some shit. Man up.

Steroyd

But among like 500+ episodes, thats like what, his only memorable moment or even arc for that matter if we extend to include sogeking.

Ooooh~ we've moved to memorable moments now have we?

The original point was that everyone gets the spotlight and has a usefulness in their own way, rather than them and their abilities getting outright ignored for silly amounts of time, which does happen quite a bit in other series. The closest to this in One Piece is Robin because she pretty much is a non entity till Ponyglyphs are relevant, Ussop and Chopper have their own fights plus more, and Nami's usefulness is mostly inbetween and transitional parts of an arc both at the beginning and at the end. Nami using that cloud road to get into Punk Hazard and Ussop's banana boat as more recent examples.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
My problem with Usopp is that even after the timeskip and living on the man-eating island for 2 years he doesn't stop whining if things look dangerous. Pretty sure the island he was on was way scarier than some bird lady or some shit. Man up.

While the anime did play up that scene quite a bit, it was meant to show that all the training didn't change Usopp's core personality traits. No matter how strong they get, Nami, Usopp and Chopper will always be the scaredy-cats. Which is way better then them losing their personality traits and becoming dull (like Nami did for a while after her Skypeia character development).

Anyways, Usopp redeems himself by the end of this arc and shows how much he's grown in both power and courage so its not really a problem. He's still Mansop :p

How was "I'M ALWAYS NEGATIVE!" not memorable?

The whole fight is amazing. Could not stop laughing when he finally caught her.

Also:

"Usopp Hammer"

"...uh"

"Usopp Hammer" - "Usopp Hammer" - "Usopp Hammer" - "Usopp Hammer" -"Usopp Hammer" -"Usopp Hammer" -"Usopp Hammer" - "Usopp Hammer"

:D

SykoTech

So true.

I really wish other shows like Naruto (post-timeskip) would have done the same. The Konoha 11 in particular got screwed big time, save a select few like Shikamaru.

Gradivus

Yes, but it can also be it's flaw later on, when you have 8-9 main protagonist and a few supporting characters and 8-9 villains per arc (so everyone can get a 1v1 fight) things tend to drag. It won't bother you when you marathon it but it'll be painful when you're caught up reading/watching week to week.

Thriller Bark wasn't too bad with that had a few 2 vs 1 moments and such, its just that Luffy, Sanji, Zoro and at times Franky tend to hog all the fights.

It really needs to have fights where say Sanji, Zoro and Luffy have to take down a powerful character together while Robin, Brooke and Nami can have more 1 on 1 battles. But the way the powerful structure is set out now, it might be a bit too late for that.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
One Piece - :firehawk + Fishman Island Arcs (490-574)

I really wasn't planning on posting Fishman Island impressions, but then I remembered that I hadn't posted anything about the previous mini-arc yet, so here we are!

ZDKTjVb.png

Anime Fishman Island was pretty bad. It had a couple of amazing moments (like the whole narrator speech during
Luffy's blood transfusion
) and a few incredibly satisfying moments (like
Zoro cutting Hody like the little shit that he is or Chopper displaying complete control over Monster Point
), but the overall impression I got from it was that most of what I assume are the arc's highest points in the manga were dragged down to the floor by the horrible pacing. It was still more enjoyable than
Impel Down
because more interesting stuff happened... But only by a tiny margin.

The first 2/3 of the arc were particularly bad. Absolutely nothing happens until ten episodes after the huge flashback is done, and even then events keep moving at a snail's pace. I think the whole point of the arc, at least in Oda's mind, was to
show how freaking powerful and awesome everyone became in the two years they were away from the Sunny. Hell, if it wasn't for those ridiculous pills, Luffy would've killed Hody at least ten times over, and most of the time he was even handicapped by the water. They even fit all the coup de grâces into a single episode!
In theory, that would be great. But - I still have to confirm this by reading the manga, mind you - it seems that Oda failed to accomplish that at a decent pace. I think he didn't want to make the whole conflict feel cheap... But I don't know why. I mean, the way he dealt with Bellamy in Jaya was so awesome. He could've just repeated that here! Haha. But, yeah. It seems that even in the manga this arc was slow... So it was inevitable for the anime to be insufferable.

But, well, now it's over, and we've got at least two good things out of this arc:

1 -
Poseidon.
2 -
Future nakama Jinbe hell yeah.

But before all that... Man...

:firehawk

Sabo's death flags were all over the place, but I knew he wouldn't die because I really didn't believe Oda'd kill Luffy's two big brothers. So I knew he'd live, but somehow disappear. He started talking about how he was mad at the nobles, despite being one... And I immediatelly pictured him as being a Revolutionary in the present time. He couldn't possibly be a pirate because if that was the case, he'd be a rookie or someone relevant and we'd already know about his whereabouts. He couldn't be a Marine either because that made no sense. But if he was a Revolutionary, he wouldn't have had a reason to show up yet... It made so much sense.

And then freaking Dragon showed up. You can only imagine my reaction, hahaha.

Previous impressions: Arabasta, Jaya + Skypiea, Davy Back Fight, Water 7 + Enies Lobby, Thriller Bark, Sabaody Archipelago, Amazon Lily + ___________ + Marineford.

So, yeah. 14 months later, I've finally caught up with the anime. Good times. Some of the best, actually.

One Piece - :firehawk + Fishman Island Arcs (490-574)

I really wasn't planning on posting Fishman Island impressions, but then I remembered that I hadn't posted anything about the previous mini-arc yet, so here we are!

ZDKTjVb.png

Anime Fishman Island was pretty bad. It had a couple of amazing moments (like the whole narrator speech during
Luffy's blood transfusion
) and a few incredibly satisfying moments (like
Zoro cutting Hody like the little shit that he is or Chopper displaying complete control over Monster Point
), but the overall impression I got from it was that most of what I assume are the arc's highest points in the manga were dragged down to the floor by the horrible pacing. It was still more enjoyable than
Impel Down
because more interesting stuff happened... But only by a tiny margin.

The first 2/3 of the arc were particularly bad. Absolutely nothing happens until ten episodes after the huge flashback is done, and even then events keep moving at a snail's pace. I think the whole point of the arc, at least in Oda's mind, was to
show how freaking powerful and awesome everyone became in the two years they were away from the Sunny. Hell, if it wasn't for those ridiculous pills, Luffy would've killed Hody at least ten times over, and most of the time he was even handicapped by the water. They even fit all the coup de grâces into a single episode!
In theory, that would be great. But - I still have to confirm this by reading the manga, mind you - it seems that Oda failed to accomplish that at a decent pace. I think he didn't want to make the whole conflict feel cheap... But I don't know why. I mean, the way he dealt with Bellamy in Jaya was so awesome. He could've just repeated that here! Haha. But, yeah. It seems that even in the manga this arc was slow... So it was inevitable for the anime to be insufferable.

But, well, now it's over, and we've got at least two good things out of this arc:

1 -
Poseidon.
2 -
Future nakama Jinbe hell yeah.

But before all that... Man...

:firehawk

Sabo's death flags were all over the place, but I knew he wouldn't die because I really didn't believe Oda'd kill Luffy's two big brothers. So I knew he'd live, but somehow disappear. He started talking about how he was mad at the nobles, despite being one... And I immediatelly pictured him as being a Revolutionary in the present time. He couldn't possibly be a pirate because if that was the case, he'd be a rookie or someone relevant and we'd already know about his whereabouts. He couldn't be a Marine either because that made no sense. But if he was a Revolutionary, he wouldn't have had a reason to show up yet... It made so much sense.

And then freaking Dragon showed up. You can only imagine my reaction, hahaha.

Previous impressions: Arabasta, Jaya + Skypiea, Davy Back Fight, Water 7 + Enies Lobby, Thriller Bark, Sabaody Archipelago, Amazon Lily + ___________ + Marineford.

So, yeah. 14 months later, I've finally caught up with the anime. Good times. Some of the best, actually.

Welcome to the world of waiting for saturday night/sundaymorning, it sucks here :(

What leak?

Hated this weeks chapter
I waited two weeks for fucking fanservice????

This leak that I posted on the last page

Punk Hazard really has too many groups to follow at the beginning, the fact we won't really see Smoker vs Law for 2 more episodes is bogus

Edit: Also I'll post this here as well to complete the cycle, this is the rumored final roster for One Piece Musou 2, it's worth mentioning because this was posted about 5 days before today's reveal of Garp, Post time skip Aokiji, Akainu, and Kizaru

Time Skip Strawhats + Jimbei, Pretime skip Strawhats + Jimbei, Garp, Smoker, Akainu, Aokiji, Kizaru, Kuma, Mihawk, Hancock, Law, Crocodile, Whitebeard, Marco, Ace, Blackbeard, Enel/eru, and Perona

Taborcarn

Punk Hazard really has too many groups to follow at the beginning, the fact we won't really see Smoker vs Law for 2 more episodes is bogus

Edit: Also I'll post this here as well to complete the cycle, this is the rumored final roster for One Piece Musou 2, it's worth mentioning because this was posted about 5 days before today's reveal of Garp, Post time skip Aokiji, Akainu, and Kizaru

Time Skip Strawhats + Jimbei, Pretime skip Strawhats + Jimbei, Garp, Smoker, Akainu, Aokiji, Kizaru, Kuma, Mihawk, Hancock, Law, Crocodile, Whitebeard, Marco, Ace, Blackbeard, Enel/eru, and Perona

What, no
Ivankov?
Disappointing

Kokonoe

Banned
Skypea Arc was great, but Eneru(or Enel in Manga) is some kind of broken. Also, what is with the characters in this anime essentially dying and yet they are still alive?
They already made it aware that using the Impact Dial or whatever would kill Wiper and how amazing it would be if he survived it, not only does he get up after being shocked by Eneru, but then he survives Eneru's judgement attack AND he gets up later to use the Impact Dial once more on the beanstalk and still survives. Soooo...yeah.

So uh...
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Enel#cite_note-SBS2-23
Oda confirmed that if Enel were actually a wanted pirate, he might have a bounty that could possibly be as high as 500,000,000 beris (which means he could have the second highest known bounty in the series, after the former bounty of
Portgas D. Ace, 550,000,000).

Is Eneru really that strong compared to the rest of One Piece?

Long Ring Long Land Arc is bad, I honestly thought it was a filler arc to be honest, and when I watch it, it feels like a filler arc. Characters are weaker than their usual selves while they are acting more dimwitted than usual. The afro was nice, but other than that, this is the only bad part of One Piece I've seen so far. Good thing it's short.

Korosenai

Skypea Arc was great, but Eneru(or Enel in Manga) is some kind of broken. Also, what is with the characters in this anime essentially dying and yet they are still alive?
They already made it aware that using the Impact Dial or whatever would kill Wiper and how amazing it would be if he survived it, not only does he get up after being shocked by Eneru, but then he survives Eneru's judgement attack AND he gets up later to use the Impact Dial once more on the beanstalk and still survives. Soooo...yeah.

So uh...
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Enel#cite_note-SBS2-23

Is Eneru really that strong compared to the rest of One Piece?
Yea, Skypea had some pretty bad parts where people should have died, but then they're fine and dandy later on

Also yes, Enel is that strong.

Lucky for everyone else though, he is now on
the moon

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If Luffy

A) Didn't exist
B) Wasn't on Skypeia at the exact right time, he would have had no opposition whatsoever. He may be one of the top 3 characters in the series in terms of power.

Dunno about top 3, Whitebeard, Shanks and the Admirals could probably take him with little effort. Dunno about the other Emperors though. He'd easily be top 10 though.

Dunno about top 3, Whitebeard, Shanks and the Admirals could probably take him with little effort. Dunno about the other Emperors though. He'd easily be top 10 though.

One thing you have to remember is until the Straw Hats came along nobody really challenged Enel/eru so like Crocodile he really wasn't strong as he could have been. If he had decided to head down to the Grand Line and attempt to do the normal OP pirate thing he would have been pretty damn near unstoppable once he learned the truth behind his mantra power and learned to master it further.

Kabuto

One thing you have to remember is until the Straw Hats came along nobody really challenged Enel/eru so like Crocodile he really as strong as he could have been. If he had decided to head down to the Grand Line and attempt to do the normal OP pirate thing he would have been pretty damn near unstoppable once he learned the truth behind his mantra power and learned to master it further.

wow I totally forgot about his mantra. He is basically an Admiral class Pirate. Is he the only Logia type Devil Fruit user with Haki that's a pirate?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
wow I totally forgot about his mantra. He is basically an Admiral class Pirate. Is he the only Logia type Devil Fruit user with Haki that's a pirate?

There was Ace, but he died. Marco counts I think, he's a legendary zoan but he's basically an uber logia.

Kokonoe

Banned
Probably a good idea.
Granted, One Piece is a very difficult series to avoid spoilers for.
Yep. And if you do want to come in and post impressions/ask questions, make sure you don't read many of the posts.

Yeah, I'll just write my impressions and post them later when I am done with the series.

Oh, it must not be 12:30 in the japanese version, the song I'm talking about is the one before that song, it happens when Luffy throws the very first punch at Crocodile, when they just start the fight. Thanks for looking for me though, I hope to find that song so if you find it may you PM me? thank you very much.

Cwarrior

One piece FI arc Sakuga video is out

If you haven't seen this arc don't watch it, it's full major of spoilers.

Yeah, I'll just write my impressions and post them later when I am done with the series.

Oh, it must not be 12:30 in the japanese version, the song I'm talking about is the one before that song, it happens when Luffy throws the very first punch at Crocodile, when they just start the fight. Thanks for looking for me though, I hope to find that song so if you find it may you PM me? thank you very much.

Maybe it's this one your talking about it plays before shishibukai it's called Spirited Swordsman Zoro

Wow, I didn't know their was a One Piece thread on Neogaf. I can't believe I've been on for over a month now and haven't noticed.

Regardless hope to have some good discussions in here.

Drago

And Thriller Bark is finished, finally. I watched 40 episodes in a weekend after not watching for a few weeks... I'm bushed. :p

Impressions:
-The arc started off waaaaaaay too slowly. It's probably what got me to stop watching for a while, nothing was happening other than Usopp, Nami, and Chopper getting scared. But once things actually started happening, got damn things happened. Enies Lobby as a whole was still the better arc, but this one takes second best after it, and Water 7 behind it.

-I didn't like any of the Mysterious 4, except for maybe Hogback; Hogback had an actual backstory and his relationship with Chopper was one of the better things about the arc, even if they never actually fighted; I hated Moriah's design and his voice, but his devil fruit ability was cool to see and him and Oars made for a fearful combination, and the fight was fantastic; Absalom was useless; Perona was just terrible - I didn't like her design, she had the worst laugh out of everyone, and the "fight" with her was pretty bad, even though it was cool to see Usopp having a troll fest with her. I do know that Perona has more appearances after this arc so hopefully she'll win me over then I guess.

-Nightmare Luffy was the best thing. I was smiling in awe every time he was on screen. :D

-The Kuma plot twist was INCREDIBLE. I wasn't even expecting it... and his confrontation with Zoro after the air bomb was one of the best things I've seen in the show to date. He really shouldn't have lived after taking in all of Luffy's pain, but I guess it's for the better that zoro remains alive. ;)

-Brook is awesome. His backstory almost moved me to tears, but I stayed strong! I was spoiled on his relation to Laboon so that didn't have a giant impact on me, but it was still great to see the show going so far back to reference that. And baby Laboon was so cute.

That's about all on my mind right now. This show is just really great stuff. And good news for me is that I'm very close to the point where I can start watching episodes on Hulu again, in much higher quality. Woohoo :D

Sorry for the double post.

Top Bottom