• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

And Thriller Bark is finished, finally. I watched 40 episodes in a weekend after not watching for a few weeks... I'm bushed. :p

Impressions:
-The arc started off waaaaaaay too slowly. It's probably what got me to stop watching for a while, nothing was happening other than Usopp, Nami, and Chopper getting scared. But once things actually started happening, got damn things happened. Enies Lobby as a whole was still the better arc, but this one takes second best after it, and Water 7 behind it.

-I didn't like any of the Mysterious 4, except for maybe Hogback; Hogback had an actual backstory and his relationship with Chopper was one of the better things about the arc, even if they never actually fighted; I hated Moriah's design and his voice, but his devil fruit ability was cool to see and him and Oars made for a fearful combination, and the fight was fantastic; Absalom was useless; Perona was just terrible - I didn't like her design, she had the worst laugh out of everyone, and the "fight" with her was pretty bad, even though it was cool to see Usopp having a troll fest with her. I do know that Perona has more appearances after this arc so hopefully she'll win me over then I guess.

-Nightmare Luffy was the best thing. I was smiling in awe every time he was on screen. :D

-The Kuma plot twist was INCREDIBLE. I wasn't even expecting it... and his confrontation with Zoro after the air bomb was one of the best things I've seen in the show to date. He really shouldn't have lived after taking in all of Luffy's pain, but I guess it's for the better that zoro remains alive. ;)

-Brook is awesome. His backstory almost moved me to tears, but I stayed strong! I was spoiled on his relation to Laboon so that didn't have a giant impact on me, but it was still great to see the show going so far back to reference that. And baby Laboon was so cute.

That's about all on my mind right now. This show is just really great stuff. And good news for me is that I'm very close to the point where I can start watching episodes on Hulu again, in much higher quality. Woohoo :D

Sorry for the double post.

This is the first arc that went to a 1:1 pacing, that's why it felt so much longer, sadly you're going to have to get used to it. Honestly it was the worst spot to switch to 1:1 pacing because even though he's not a member yet, Brook is basically a full part of the cast during the events of Thriller Bark and gets an equal amount of screen time meaning we add yes another character AND slow down the pace at the same time. Terrible 1 2 punch

Thriller Bark I enjoyed much more after I got through reading it live. Marathoning that place got me enjoying the early parts so much more. TB, while once one of my least favorites became what of my favorites. I got the joy of placing Amazon Lily -> FI as my least favorite and I can't see the story dropping that low again.

Currently, I have 43 One Piece volumes (not in order: 1-24, 39-54, 61-63), and since I have up to Jaya, I've lent out my One Piece volumes to a friend and he absolutely loves it!

I so want him to be introduced to the Supernovas and find out why Robin is so distant to the crew (pretty awesome question he asked considering Robin just joined where he's at).

It's too bad he's got to wait for my next batch of volumes to continue the story, but I like that he's reading the arcs in one-go. I think he'll enjoy the Noland flashback when he gets to Skypiea. He doesn't want to read scans or watch the anime, so I hope he can wait a month or two when I can get 25-32. This is why I love collecting the volumes. :)

No tears at all?

Maybe if it would have been an actual shock and not right there in the goddamn title of the episode.

And even then, spending LIKE A HUNDRED episodes saving Ace and him still dying is more cheap than shocking.

EDIT: Just saw 485 and liked Whitebeard's end way better.

EDIT2: The Sabo backstory and Luffy completely breaking because of Ace is way more effective than the actual death was.

SANJI'S WANTED POSTER IS AN ACTUAL PERSON WHAT THE FUUUUUUCK
FX83AoH.jpg

So the first arc after the time skip in the anime is finished? I like watching my One Piece in batches and the last time I watched One Piece was a few episodes after the time skip.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I guess I posted a tad too prematurely because MOTHERFUCKING ZORO

If you think that was something....

So the first arc after the time skip in the anime is finished? I like watching my One Piece in batches and the last time I watched One Piece was a few episodes after the time skip.

Fishman Island is long done, they're a bit into Punk Hazard at this point. Go ahead and watch.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So, I've been rewatching One Piece lately since I've been bored. I still tear up during Nami and Chopper's flashbacks. I figure at this rate I'll be inconsolable for Robin's.

Taborcarn

I know this thread is more for the anime than the manga discussion, but this week's manga was the first time this series has made me laugh out loud. I was not expecting that one panel towards the end.

Also, since I decided that 516 is the place I take a break from the series, what do I watch now as far as anime goes?

It feels like I ruined all of anime for myself by watching One Piece. I imagine there's stuff out with way better storylines or characters or fights or whatever, but I find it hard to believe that someone could recommend me something that's as completely awesome at everything as One Piece is. It's so great how it has as much heartbreaking emotional moments as utterly badass ones.

The fact that it looked like I had an infinite amount of episodes to watch when I started was very cool as well.

Any recommendations?

Korosenai

Also, since I decided that 516 is the place I take a break from the series, what do I watch now as far as anime goes?

It feels like I ruined all of anime for myself by watching One Piece. I imagine there's stuff out with way better storylines or characters or fights or whatever, but I find it hard to believe that someone could recommend me something that's as completely awesome at everything as One Piece is. It's so great how it has as much heartbreaking emotional moments as utterly badass ones.

The fact that it looked like I had an infinite amount of episodes to watch when I started was very cool as well.

Any recommendations?
Hunter x Hunter or Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Moaradin

I need to check out Brotherhood one of these days. I loved the original series but everyone seems to recommend brotherhood. I also want to watch Hunter x Hunter so bad considering that YYH is my favorite anime of all time, but no English dub :(

Korosenai

I need to check out Brotherhood one of these days. I loved the original series but everyone seems to recommend brotherhood. I also want to watch Hunter x Hunter so bad considering that YYH is my favorite anime of all time, but no English dub :(

Hunter x Hunter sub is fine. I actually enjoy the Hunter x Hunter manga a lot as well, so you might want to check that out if you don't like sub.

Think it was rumored that it may be in the process of being licensed for english, so maybe a dub will come this year.

Drago

HOLY SHIT

THERE ARE MULTIPLE KUMAS?!?!!?

And Hulu spoilers show me that the straw hat separation happens very soon... I knew it was going to happen but I did not know that it happened this early

also DINOSAUR DEVIL FRUIT POWERS?!?!

WOW

Top Bottom