• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Riposte

I rarely ever go on 4chan these days, but looking up one piece theory threads on /a/ is always a blast. This manga is fucking crazy. Best world-building I've ever seen in a manga.

Soriku

Hunter x Hunter or Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Also Gintama. At its best Gintama is as good or better than OP's best. However Gintama is a comedy show first, serious show second. The serious arcs are still amazing though. Very well animated too (later arcs especially).

Jojo is also great.

Korosenai

Also Gintama. At its best Gintama is as good or better than OP's best. However Gintama is a comedy show first, serious.show second. The serious arcs are still amazing though.
My friends been texting me non stop for the past week telling me to watch Gintama and how funny it is. I guess i should check it out soon.

Drago

These feels man. These feels ;_;

This show is so freaking brilliant.

hSbE0.gif

Korosenai

A One Piece manga boxset is set to be released this November for $185.99. They will contain volumes 1-23 and they will sport the saga titles like the speed-up volumes (East Blue vols 1-11; Baroque Works vols 12-23). It will also come with an exclusive poster and a mini-comic.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/02/28-1/viz-offers-one-piece-and-bakuman-manga-box-sets

I wish this was announced before I got those particular ones. :(

I only have about 10 One Piece volumes so i'm gonna jump all over this.

I also really like Bakuman so i'm probably gonna end up buying it too.

Drago

A One Piece manga boxset is set to be released this November for $185.99. They will contain volumes 1-23 and they will sport the saga titles like the speed-up volumes (East Blue vols 1-11; Baroque Works vols 12-23). It will also come with an exclusive poster and a mini-comic.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/02/28-1/viz-offers-one-piece-and-bakuman-manga-box-sets

I wish this was announced before I got those particular ones. :(

This interests me greatly. Doubt I'll end up buying it but who knows? :)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zoro or bust

Viz never gives a clear reason why they won't change back.
They've claimed consistency, then they've claimed they won't change it back so he won't get confused with "Zorro" comics (they still make Zorro comics?)
One person claimed that Shueisha copyrighted the name "Zolo" and forced Viz to use it. I've seen no proof of this.

That is a lot funnier than it should be... damn you.

789shadow

Banned
Speaking of chapter 700 in the manga
It's so amusing to see the crew's layed back style rub off on law and catching himself when it does XD. As for that fruit.....I calling it that luffy will probably eat it giving him 2 powers. Burning rubber baby. Guess it'll be 2 years before I know if I'm right lol.
Not a single chance in hell, especially because
uh, people can't eat 2 Devil Fruits.

JDSN

Banned
I wish I could unwatch it until Sabaody again, its amazing how Luffy's action escalate at such absurd heights in the most realistic and natural way.

Korosenai

Speaking of chapter 700 in the manga
It's so amusing to see the crew's layed back style rub off on law and catching himself when it does XD. As for that fruit.....I calling it that luffy will probably eat it giving him 2 powers. Burning rubber baby. Guess it'll be 2 years before I know if I'm right lol.
I think its impossible for anyone to have two devil fruits. The only reason Blackbeard has one is because hes special.

God the need to change the Opening i will start back watch the anime when they do .
Stop at end of the filler arc that ties in with the movie .

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Red Hawk is already a tribute to Ace, he doesn't need his powers to remember him. I think Doflamingo is underestimating the Flame Flame Fruit's importance to Luffy. It's another contrast between how Doflamingo and Law are cold and calculating while Luffy and the Straw Hats are all unpredictable.

Wiseblade

Red Hawk is already a tribute to Ace, he doesn't need his powers to remember him. I think Doflamingo is underestimating the Flame Flame Fruit's importance to Luffy. It's another contrast between how Doflamingo and Law are cold and calculating while Luffy and the Straw Hats are all unpredictable.

I think you mean "Overestimating".

Why are you guys even discussing that stuff there? There is a manga thread, you know.

Jaroof

So I went back and watched the first few episodes with my friend, because I'm trying to get him into the series...
and I noticed in episode 2 that the little girl helping Zoro brought him and onigiri to eat.
An Oni. Giri.
This kind of blew my mind, seeing as he named that after his main attack.

Wiseblade

To be fair we've never seen anyone in the actual plot attempt that. All we do know is Teach showed their is a way to have two

Y'Know, If Dr. "Smartest guy in the world" Vegapunk says that eating more than one devil fruit will kill you, then eating more than one devil fruit will probably kill you.

SIRF

So I went back and watched the first few episodes with my friend, because I'm trying to get him into the series...
and I noticed in episode 2 that the little girl helping Zoro brought him and onigiri to eat.
An Oni. Giri.
This kind of blew my mind, seeing as he named that after his main attack.

There is also the talk about devil fruits in the first few episodes where the fruits given as an example are earthquake power and fire. I wonder if that was planned.

Jaroof

There is also the talk about devil fruits in the first few episodes where the fruits given as an example are earthquake power and fire. I wonder if that was planned.

Really? Haha holy shit.
Most likely, it was.
Just like how Luffy said in the first few eps that he wanted about 10 crew members.. and he's almost there!

Taborcarn

Not yet. My guess is that it likely is related to his DF power which can absorb (stop) the abilities from people he touches.

There has to be more to it than that though.
Didn't one of the explanation issues during Punk Hazard say that most of Teach's crew now has multiple fruit powers as well?

upandaway

Not yet. My guess is that it likely is related to his DF power which can absorb (stop) the abilities from people he touches.
Considering he hid how he did it, then I think it's something that it's a technique worth hiding (i.e. other people could make use of it somehow, to their advantage). That might rule out being related to his DF power, or at least significantly dependent on it.

Well, either that, or he had to do it mouth-to-mouth and hid it out of embarrassment.

Wiseblade

Considering he hid how he did it, then I think it's something that it's a technique worth hiding (i.e. other people could make use of it somehow, to their advantage). That might rule out being related to his DF power, or at least significantly dependent on it.

Well, either that, or he had to do it mouth-to-mouth and hid it out of embarrassment.

Or the technique might involve Blackbeard exposing a weakness of his.

Korosenai

There has to be more to it than that though.
Didn't one of the explanation issues during Punk Hazard say that most of Teach's crew now has multiple fruit powers as well?

From the wiki:
During the timeskip, Blackbeard had arrogated the vacant Yonko position formerly held by Whitebeard, as the Gorosei had feared. Teach, knowing his former superior's territory all too well, annexed his territory with ease. According to rumors, the Blackbeard Pirates have also been searching for people with strong Devil Fruit powers, in order to absorb them.

shiiiitt

SykoTech

Catching up with this thread. Loved Drago's reactions, especially to Duval. Great stuff. Too bad he's already been spoiled on some of the jaw-dropping moments coming up.

Now it looks like Kokonoe might have seen too much too. :(

One Piece 585
tumblr_miuw81U6L91s57tgdo1_500.gif

Just wish Traffy would come out and say Lets Play Up or something, really does sound like Freecell from Phi Brain. Anyway really good moments, I honestly dont remember reading anything of this episode beyond the people in ice (are they the prisoners that escaped a previous arc) and just Law's epic presence.

Drago

This episode was like an embodiment of everything that makes One Piece great. Great action, great emotion, fantastic Luffy moments... just wonderful. After a boring bunch of episodes in this arc so far, this was a wonderful change of pace.

Also, can someone explain to me exactly what
Haki / Willpower
is, or will I get an explanation in future episodes?

789shadow

Banned

This episode was like an embodiment of everything that makes One Piece great. Great action, great emotion, fantastic Luffy moments... just wonderful.

Haki / Willpower
The name is self-explanatory.

This episode was like an embodiment of everything that makes One Piece great. Great action, great emotion, fantastic Luffy moments... just wonderful. After a boring bunch of episodes in this arc so far, this was a wonderful change of pace.

Haki / Willpower

You get a detailed expiration later, for now just think of it as a strange power

BHK3

Banned
I don't think I can describe how much I love this panel(panel with the chairs). I have like a fetish for this kind of stuff. Ace,clubs,spades,hearts I LOVE IT ALL SO MUCH. I WILL watch the anime when they get to this arc and don't care how butchered it gets, I already imagine dressrosa to be mostly pink and white! Can't wait for this arc, best chapter in AGES

Top Bottom