• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

SykoTech

Oh Law, you magnificently broken bastard.

Great episode. Loved seeing Brook get (somewhat) serious and Luffy, Zoro, and Robin getting all creepy again. And it's clear that there are some hilarious moments on the horizon for Sanji's group.

Can't believe they're taking another break though. They just had one last week. Still beats filler hell I guess...

HOLY SHIT SANJI HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ah, one of the four times where One Piece had me in tears. Good times.

Tizoc

Caught up to Ch. 700 and these past 5 chapters were fantastic! Some stuff I liked:
Usopp and Chopper wearing armor in case Dolfy attempts a surprise attack.
Luffy getting into Dolfy's pace.
Law almost becoming as laid back as the SHs.
...and Momonosuke bathing with Robin, the look on his face when the trio find him is just priceless XD

Riposte

How many chapters do you think there are left in One Piece? I want to say something crazy like another 700 to go. 1400 chapters sounds about right.

Korosenai

How many chapters do you think there are left in One Piece? I want to say something crazy like another 700 to go. 1400 chapters sounds about right.
I think chapter 598 was the halfway point, so id say about 500 more chapters or so, for a total of 1200-1300.

Mr. Fix

1100 seems generous already. That's 400 more chapters which translates to roughly 9-10 years, though I could see it ending at 1000.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
toei squad starting to take breaks like oda does
Can't believe they're taking another break though. They just had one last week. Still beats filler hell I guess...
No way. Again? Why

Last week was due to the Tokyo marathon:
Fuji TV is covering the Tokyo marathon today: http://www.tokyo42195.org/2013_en/entry_general_guide

And next week will be due to the Kyoto marathon: http://www.kyoto-marathon.com/outline/index_en.html

Can't air an episode of One Piece if the tv channel is too busy watching people run instead!

Drago

Impel Down is pretty boring so far. So many stares and flashbacks... :/

It is really nice to see
a bunch of old enemies return though, especially Buggy and Crocodile (haven't gotten up to his full reveal yet though).

MCD

So Law
seems completely broken with his powers?

Unless there is some big weakness that hasn't been revealed yet.

Most characters seem broken but when you think about it, we haven't seen them in a fight against major characters like the main ones to actually see how broken they are.

Most characters seem broken but when you think about it, we haven't seen them in a fight against major characters like the main ones to actually see how broken they are.

That's true, hopefully he has a decent fight againest
Smoker
so we can see some more of him in action.

Drago

Watching 450

Why is the animation so good in this episode? Every attack is animated so fluidly, it's great.

Impel Down has been pretty ok so far. Not the best but definitely not bad

BON CLAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! ; Д ;

789shadow

Banned
Watching 450

Why is the animation so good in this episode? Every attack is animated so fluidly, it's great.

Impel Down has been pretty ok so far. Not the best but definitely not bad
Big important episode sucks down most of the animation budget.

Korosenai

I've been re-watching the Sabaody Arc recently... man it's just so good.

I love the interaction between
all of the rookies. It's great how they all kind of work together, especially the part where Luffy, Kid, and Law walk out of the auction house arguing to each other that the they can handle it on their own. Then Kizaru shows up and puts them in their place.

In the context of his DF it makes sense that he can absorb stuff. Heck he's supposed to be a logia, but can't go insoluble because of that trait.

In the end we still know almost no reason for why Black Beard was able to pull of what he did after the war and/or if anyone else can do the same. It could have to do with his DF power, the fact he's a will of D member, or any number of new things we don't know about yet.

Entropia

No One Remembers
In the end we still know almost no reason for why Black Beard was able to pull of what he did after the war and/or if anyone else can do the same. It could have to do with his DF power, the fact he's a will of D member, or any number of new things we don't know about yet.

That's one theory I've heard is because of his current DF power being able to absorb things... but how did he get out of Whitebeard? :\

I'm sure Oda will have a good explanation for it all in............ 13 months from now.

That's one theory I've heard is because of his current DF power being able to absorb things... but how did he get out of Whitebeard? :\

I'm sure Oda will have a good explanation for it all in............ 13 months from now.

Well as we already know when a DF user dies
the power latches onto the nearest fruit and is reborn into a new DF
so maybe Whitebeard
wasn't completely dead when they threw the current up, inside BB pulls out a fruit and the power transfers when WB dies, absorbed into the darkness, dual power time
but then again it's hard to guess when we have so little to work off of.

Moosichu

Is Blackbeard actually a D though? I mean he could have given it to himself after hearing about it.

Akito

As for why Teach was able to eat multiple DFs, this is a good theory

ibyPwlaFtVFQPM.jpg

Akito

Omit the mystical zoan part but I do think that it makes sense for BB to have "multiple bodies/body parts(?)" in order to eat more than one DF. Now what exactly is the deal with his body is up to Oda.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww shit.

THOUGH, I might suggest that what the link posits might not be the effect of a devil fruit, but just something endemic to Teach's body, perhaps that he was born with. Flag is pretty telling though.

Steroyd

You probably answered your own question there, his DF is able to nullify other users DF powers by touching them, it's not that big of stretch that he could outright pull them out but he probably needs certain conditions to make that possible.

Edit: and dang at that BB theory.

That's possible, but the naming portion (if correct) seems way too coincidental.

Yeah, even if the whole chimera zoan thing is off clearly that idea is built into his character. At worst and this is completely off base it's still impressive that Oda did so much research and thought into the name selection of his characters.

Mr. Fix

Found this: Blackbeard Spoilers.

Holy Shit

That was an excellent read. I also never knew about Zoro/Luffy referring to Teach as "they" since it was never translated like that in the anime. The only thing I will disagree about what was written is the paws bit at the end. Teach's weapon was a claw. Though the rest seem solid.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeah, even if the whole chimera zoan thing is off clearly that idea is built into his character. At worst and this is completely off base it's still impressive that Oda did so much research and thought into the name selection of his characters.

A reader mentioned all those name things in an SBS once actually. Oda doesn't really foreshadow anything regarding it, but there could certainly still be something there.

Xgp5qih.png

Korosenai

That was an excellent read. I also never knew about Zoro/Luffy referring to Teach as "they" since it was never translated like that in the anime. The only thing I will disagree about what was written is the paws bit at the end. Teach's weapon was a claw. Though the rest seem solid.

His weapon had 4 claws on it though, and they were very close to each other. If that weapon is the one who caused that scratch, I think Shanks would have 4 scratch marks instead of 3. Though it is possible that maybe one didn't connect with Shank's face, I don't think Shank's would have brought up the remark that the scar hurts on his face if it was just from that weapon. This is just wishful thinking, but after reading that theory, I think it goes deeper than that.

Mr. Fix

His weapon had 4 claws on it though, and they were very close to each other. If that weapon is the one who caused that scratch, I think Shanks would have 4 scratch marks instead of 3. Though it is possible that maybe one didn't connect with Shank's face, I don't think Shank's would have brought up the remark that the scar hurts on his face if it was just from that weapon.

It could go either way, but at this point I'm still sold on the theory regardless. Though I suppose it does mean that he can actually transform into a chimera, and that it's not just the ability to wield 3 fruits.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
So he also has the power to pass second DF powers to his crew and Ace's DF is back on the table..... I wonder if he shows up out of the blue in this arc or at least one of his crew members.

A reader mentioned all those name things in an SBS once actually. Oda doesn't really foreshadow anything regarding it, but there could certainly still be something there.

Xgp5qih.png

I mean the fan simply asked for more info on the real life pirate and that's exactly what Oda answered. If a fan is close to stumbling onto what is supposed to be one of the big twist you have planned for the future but doesn't make the connection obviously you're gonna down play it to stop people from thinking about it

Mr. Fix

So he also has the power to pass second DF powers to his crew and Ace's DF is back on the table..... I wonder if he shows up out of the blue in this arc or at least one of his crew members.

I don't know about passing the powers. I think his crew is just on the hunt for their own fruits as they were never shown or hinted at possessing fruits.

This is......very believable o_O. And consider me amazed if Oda planned the 'they' thing so many years in advance.

I mean I'm sure most authors writers have ideas for scenes or plot twist and it's connecting them or finding when is the right time to use them that makes them good/bad. The fact his original name was going to be Everything D Teach should also lend to this theory and that was an idea before Oda even started the series.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean the fan simply asked for more info on the real life pirate and that's exactly what Oda answered. If a fan is close to stumbling onto what is supposed to be one of the big twist you have planned for the future but doesn't make the connection obviously you're gonna down play it to stop people from thinking about it

This is going to turn into that Titan reveal we had last month isn't it? Where that one guy makes an insane prediction and then we all praise him as a god with a Tardis.

Top Bottom