• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Drago

There are so many great things that happened during the war that I can't even pinpoint what you're reaction was in reference to.
All of it, man.

All. Of. It.
I'm not even close to finished with the arc yet and I've gone 'holy shit' several times already.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
All of it, man.

All. Of. It.
I'm not even close to finished with the arc yet and I've gone 'holy shit' several times already.

The megatons are coming, you've been warned. If this is blowing your mind then I fear for your sanity.

Drago

The megatons are coming, you've been warned. If this is blowing your mind then I fear for your sanity.
AU7Amsc.gif

I wish I could re-watch that ark again for the first time.

I wish I could watch it over reading it for the first time. I'm not a big fan of the war but shoddy translations and the giant two page spreads all over the place made it a pain figuring some things out and probably ruined some of my enjoyment.

So I saw that the Funimation dub of One Piece recently aired the fight in water 7 between Luffy and
Usopp
. Wow they nailed it, I had all the feels rewatching it in English.

Moaradin

So I saw that the Funimation dub of One Piece recently aired the fight in water 7 between Luffy and
Usopp
. Wow they nailed it, I had all the feels rewatching it in English.

I've been watching One Piece with the funimation dub and it definitely has great performances so far.

I've been watching One Piece with the funimation dub and it definitely has great performances so far.

I feel like when the dub first took over in Skypeia the voices were really awkward because you had a ton of new cast dubbing episodes 150+ into a series. When Funi went back to the beginning it really helped the quality of the dub a lot.

Drago

my fucking word my fucking word my fucking word my fucking word my fucking word

I've said it before and I'll say it again: HOLY FUCKING SHIT

ODAAAAAAAAA!!!

UmpOi.gif

Drago

CROCODIIIIIIIILE

LAAAAAAAAAAW

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Coby... ;_;

This episode was just DEPRESSING.

also
SHANKS?!?!/!/!-$/!-#+

Drago

Well that was perfect

Holy shit, and I mean HOLY SHIT, WOW. What an arc. How can it possibly get better than that?!

I love One Piece :3

The real-o-meter had to be reset for the entire manga thread every week during that arc. It was just straight up insane.

Were there still people who "read it every week" yet think it's terrible or did those people simply get drowned out in the sea of "oh god Oda is amazing"

Riposte

Marineford arc is like the best (short) arc of manga I've read. It is mostly because the whole series (several hundred chapters) was building to that moment in time in a way I can't say any manga I've read has. It was like we spent years slowly learning about the One Piece world and then it just erupted.

The closest thing I could compare it to would be The Sinestro War from The Green Lantern comics. That a few ongoing comics involved and more importantly it was based on a prophecy from a comic in the 80s we were slowly seeing be made true lol. I love shit like that.

Everyone was creaming their pants, everyone.

As I mentioned on the last page, I just didn't enjoy it that much. I enjoy it more now but the bad translations combined with the double page spreads just didn't do it for me. Reading it in one go with a physical volume is much much better for myself. That's when I started to enjoy it.

CrazyDude

4kids version of One Piece really turned me off to the whole series for a long time. Glad I decided to give it another shot. Slowly, but surly going through the anime. Already through the manga.

Korosenai

As I mentioned on the last page, I just didn't enjoy it that much. I enjoy it more now but the bad translations combined with the double page spreads just didn't do it for me. Reading it in one go with a physical volume is much much better for myself. That's when I started to enjoy it.

I just recently bought the Marineford Arc manga (Volume 56 - 60) to compare it to the anime, and I actually liked the manga more.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I just recently bought the Marineford Arc manga (Volume 56 - 60) to compare it to the anime, and I actually liked the manga more.

The manga is always better. Though I do greatly enjoy the anime for the animated fight scenes and awesome music.

I do know that Viz has gotten better (the early translations were messy) despite fuckin' "Zolo".

The manga is always better. Though I do greatly enjoy the anime for the animated fight scenes and awesome music.

I do know that Viz has gotten better (the early translations were messy) despite fuckin' "Zolo".

That's mostly why I enjoy the anime over the manga sometimes. The anime usually has more fighting scenes then the manga. Some fights in the manga are usually 1 2 punch while the anime is usually 1 2 3 4 5 punch. I would use examples but this is my first post on this thread and I don't want to do spoilers of anything that anyone hasn't seen yet.

This is what puts the OP anime on top for me, I can forgive 1:1 pacing when the music just sucks me in

Anth0ny

A One Piece Kai has the potential to be awesome.

I stopped watching the anime because I no longer had the patience to watch 1:1 episodes. But I adore the voice actors, music, and on good days, the animation.

Anth0ny

oh god, following marine ford week to week was so god damn exciting

shit would get more and more real every chapter

so good

the bad translations

By Marineford the translations were godlike compared to the Dark Years.

never 4get bisoromi bear-sama, tanjiahdo lofulamingo, dachsund binami, edward newcart, the seven gods of pirate, marizoya, dai buddha zango, doku q, cloud ouga, xusasu basasu, masuru d. chocheh, lock post, rufi d. monkey, robin nick, liar bo, and sandy

A One Piece Kai has the potential to be awesome.

I stopped watching the anime because I no longer had the patience to watch 1:1 episodes. But I adore the voice actors, music, and on good days, the animation.

I dont know how that would work, it would still be over 700 episodes, I bet so it kind of feels not feasible, and with them doing the special reairing, I dont think they really have any intention of doing a Kai. I mean they might as well have started doing that instead of touching up (minor) the old episodes to reair.

Was it mentioned that One Piece Film Z jp bd is dated for may 24, 2013?

I dont know how that would work, it would still be over 700 episodes, I bet so it kind of feels not feasible, and with them doing the special reairing, I dont think they really have any intention of doing a Kai. I mean they might as well have started doing that instead of touching up (minor) the old episodes to reair.

They don't really need to Kai the first half of the series, it's more Thriller Bark and beyond where the problem lies

Drago

Just finished 516, and the first half of this show. Ending it with We Are was perfection (though the remix was eh, would have preferred the original version).

Should be all caught up with everything in another week or so... what an amazing ride it's been.

Just finished 516, and the first half of this show. Ending it with We Are was perfection (though the remix was eh, would have preferred the original version).

Should be all caught up with everything in another week or so... what an amazing ride it's been.
See you in the new world!

Wiseblade

What.

2011 mix is pure gold.

They don't really need to Kai the first half of the series, it's more Thriller Bark and beyond where the problem lies

I would say a little before Enies Lobby were we first start getting 5 mins recaps .
As you said the first part of OP don't really got much stuff to cut out and would hurt the series .
The Nami special while okay don't compare to the TV series expect for the better art \animation IMO , which sort of like a Kai version to the arc .

Top Bottom