• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Jigolo

ahh I remember the first time I watched through the whole series. Last April was when I first started watching OP. Went through all 500+ episodes but the ride was amazing. I always thought Naruto was the best shonen (Not that I watched a whole bunch of shonen, just Naruto) but after seeing One Piece I think that takes the cake. Now I watch a total of 2 shonen anime lol. Not that big on anime here.

OP is so addicting I've had the urge to start reading the manga from where the anime last left off. I want to but I really don't because I love seeing the stuff animated rather than reading it. I find the anime much more enjoyable than the manga.

Raxus

Man, I had to dig to find this thread.

One Piece's Funimation dub is coming to Toonami. Someone at Toonami GAF will update as soon as we hear more.

Wiseblade

One Piece's Funimation dub is coming to Toonami. Someone at Toonami GAF will update as soon as we hear more.

ibw9hHxVo2kpd0.gif

From the beginning?

Drago

Yeah no. Also, Toonami never skips filler, and the filler wouldn't even get you ahead, really, because there's not a lot of it.
Maybe my math is off (likely) but I calculated 5.6 years to get caught up to Japan if we get 2 episodes a week, including filler.

BHK3

Banned
They don't really need to Kai the first half of the series, it's more Thriller Bark and beyond where the problem lies

I'd kill for a Kai version of Impel down and beyond, Marineford in the anime was so bad I haven't watched it since the
sabo arc

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Maybe my math is off (likely) but I calculated 5.6 years to get caught up to Japan if we get 2 episodes a week, including filler.

No idea how many a week, 2 would probably be best but they don't have that much time in the block to give it a nice slot and 2 episodes.

Wiseblade

Your Math is off. You're forgetting about all the 300+ episodes that would have aired in Japan while Toonami was catching up.

Uh, 2 eps a week?

Currently there are 586 episodes of OP currently in Japan, let's just assume for a second the series went on hiatus today and got no new episodes til the English version caught up and Toonami themselves always aired 2 new episodes every week.

52 x 2 = 104 episodes a year

586/104 = 5.6 years

Now reality states the series won't go on hiatus like that
this isn't Hunter x Hunter
and again for simplicity sake lets just assume the one piece anime airs every week of the year with no breaks and assuming the English dub is still 2 a week with no breaks either. Also lets assume that One Piece in Japan is still on going and the US anime has a chance to actually catch up

In 6 years the English dub of One Piece would have aired 612 episodes and the Japanese would have gotten 312 more episodes so the current count would be 612 English episodes vs 898 Japanese episodes. It would continue to had 104 English to 52 Japanese which would be

Year 6 612/898
Year 7 716/950
Year 8 820/1002
Year 9 924/1054
Year 10 1028/1106
Year 11 1132/1158

Then an additional 1/2 year from there to finally catch up, so yeah 11.5 years to catch up

Drago

Your Math is off. You're forgetting about all the 300+ episodes that would have aired in Japan while Toonami was catching up.
I was just talking in terms of catching up to where Japan is at the moment, wasn't accounting for future Japanese episodes

Thanks BassForever for more in depth math :)

One Piece was such an odd choice for the block, just for episode volume alone, but based online, I guess lots of people that watch toonami, dont really go out for their way for an anime fix beyond whats offered on tv, More power unto funi for making it happen I guess. Will hope they can keep up the dubbing pace and no more half year breaks between disc releases...

Nah I highly doubt that the counter will be that high. I mean how more years does OP have? 3-4(years is really pushing it I think).

The manga was said to be like 60% complete in 2012. So I think that means the anime would definitely reach over 1100 episodes assuming the animators just never give up with the property.

I guess would Funimation really be around and continue enough to keep on dubbing that many episodes.

Anth0ny

Yup, pretty awesome.

They need to do 2 episodes a week (10 a week would be ideal!). Also, start from the beginning.

Hopefully this works out better than last time.

Soriku

I think they'd be able to skip some of the filler crap and save a whole lot of time.

Some filler actually ties in to new canon arcs (at least early on), so it would make early events a little weird at first if they do skip them. In the Davy Back arc skipping the mid-arc filler episodes could also be weird since IIRC the later canon episodes refer back to them. I think it's minor though but ehhh.

Also, starting from the beginning would be ridiculous lol. I couldn't imagine starting One Piece again and watching only two episodes a week. I get that it'd be new to a lot of people, but when you have hundreds of subbed episodes online, it's just....ahhh!

Yup, pretty awesome.

They need to do 2 episodes a week (10 a week would be ideal!). Also, start from the beginning.

Hopefully this works out better than last time.

Why wouldnt they start from the beginning?

I saw people toss around the idea of using recap movies or start from Skypeia or Water 7...isnt that losing at least some of the best aspects of One Piece and character development that occurred before (and I would think most of the people watching toonami, most likely didnt see most of the previous episodes)

789shadow

Banned
Why wouldnt they start from the beginning?

I saw people toss around the idea of using recap movies or start from Skypeia or Water 7...isnt that losing at least some of the best aspects of One Piece and character development that occurred before (and I would think most of the people watching toonami, most likely didnt see most of the previous episodes)
They said they don't know where in the series they are going to start, which gives me pause to think they might be stupid and not start from the beginning, a huge mistake.

Not starting from the beginning would be disastrous. Everyone watching will be confused, character development previously happened, and they'd miss some really great battles. Plus I'm not so sure where they could start if not from the beginning. Whiskey Peak? Loguetown? Arlong Park?

Jigolo

So One Piece is making it's way to Toonami...I think it's good for the show. It's fanbase could possibly grow from this. It's too bad for me that it pains me to watch it in english. subs all the way

So One Piece is making it's way to Toonami...I think it's good for the show. It's fanbase could possibly grow from this. It's too bad for me that it pains me to watch it in english. subs all the way

I feel like watching it from the beginning in English will help some long time fans of the sub warm up to the funi dub.

Not starting from the beginning would be disastrous. Everyone watching will be confused, character development previously happened, and they'd miss some really great battles. Plus I'm not so sure where they could start if not from the beginning. Whiskey Peak? Loguetown? Arlong Park?

Not to mention that if any casual viewer had memories of the 4kids adaptation, they wouldn't know why Brook joins (once the dub reaches Thriller Bark). People seem to forget that 4kids skipped over the explanation why they can't just sail into the Grand Line, Laboon and Crocus, and Little Garden.

It's best that they start from the beginning to finally show the better adaptation (the Funimation dub). I know when I first caught OP on TV (when the 4kids dub was around the Buggy arc), I was turned off by the voices. I actually got into One Piece later when the first episode of the Funimation dub aired (iirc, it was ep 144). I like reading the Jaya chapters with the dub voices in mind.

Top Bottom