• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I was one of the few that discovered One Piece through Shonen Jump magazine. About a year before it premiered on TV. That's why I found the 4Kids dub so blasphemous, it missed so many things.

Characterization is thrown out the window in favor of terrible puns and bad jokes.
Part of me is a little glad they skipped Little Garden because of how they characterized Mr. 3. When he showed up in Alabasta, every single line of dialogue that wasn't exposition was a bad joke. His entire schtick became telling bad jokes.

Oh, and how did the justify his appearance? They changed it so that he was following the Straw Hats from Loguetown instead of Little Garden. Except that Baroque Works didn't learn of the Straw Hats until after Whiskey Peak. So they pulled what Chuck Sonnenburg calls a "Voodoo Shark", where the explanation to fill in a plot hole ends up creating more plot holes.

RagnarokX

I'd kill for a Kai version of Impel down and beyond, Marineford in the anime was so bad I haven't watched it since the
sabo arc

And it's not just that the pacing is so slow and they added all of that shitty filler, they fucked around with the content of the chapters to draw it out even further. They were beginning and ending in the middle of chapters, where the ending of a chapter became the beginning of an episode and beginnings became endings.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Holy fucking shit at
Zoro and Luffy calling him "they".

Oda is the greatest genius ever.

Holy shit, I watched the Funi dub of that today
and if "they" doesn't refer to Blackbeard's crew, HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

It absolutely refers to the crew, it is plain as day. THEORIST REACHING nothing more. The flag and the multiple fruits are okay evidence, let's just stick with those.

789shadow

Banned
It absolutely refers to the crew, it is plain as day. THEORIST REACHING nothing more. The flag and the multiple fruits are okay evidence, let's just stick with those.
I don't know, it suddenly makes a little less sense that it refers to
Blackbeard's crew, as why would they be able to sense that?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I don't know, it suddenly makes a little less sense that it refers to
Blackbeard's crew, as why would they be able to sense that?

Well if he's got a bunch of friends sort of lurking around him in the shadows, that hardly seems like something Luffy or Zoro wouldn't be able to pick up on. They're sharp dudes when it comes to stuff like that, especially in the kind of situation they were just in. Plus, Blackbeard's talkin to them, and they just sorta walk away from him in silence, Nami all "hey what the heck why aren't we talking to him." Luffy and Zoro are basically retreating from what they can tell is an overwhelming force.

Plus, the next time we see Blackbeard, it's as his crew comes out of the woodwork in the town, connecting directly to that previous scene.

I mean I just re-read the manga page, it does seem A LITTLE suspicious maybe. MAYBE. But only just barely. If we're talking about "what they can sense," it seems a bit more likely that they would be able to sense dudes in the shadows, not
dudes literally in his body somehow

BHK3

Banned
I really don't see how Luffy and Zoro notice that Blackbeard is multiple people in 1 body or whatever, didn't they see his crew near him earlier and just put 2 and 2 together? This is just reaching, really hard at that. Everything else is fine, but I don't see how L/Z can notice that but no one else ever brings it up again until Marco's "abnormal body"...for them to sense something like that would seriously have taken Haki.

800px-20030712_12_July_2003_One_Piece_The_Going_Merry_side_Odaiba_Tokyo_Japan.jpg

Holy shit.

HOLY SHIT.

That looks nice.

Nah I highly doubt that the counter will be that high. I mean how more years does OP have? 3-4(years is really pushing it I think).

3-4 years would give us something like 3 arcs at the length we've had these days. I know he said about half-way there awhile back but I really really hope we get a decent amount of story after the Straw Hats accomplish their goals. I just want to see them having fun roaming the sea and having more adventures.

I was one of the few that discovered One Piece through Shonen Jump magazine. About a year before it premiered on TV. That's why I found the 4Kids dub so blasphemous, it missed so many things.

Yeah, I never even gave the 4Kids dub a shot. I started with Shonen Jump and went straight to KF once I realized I could go faster that way. If only Funimation had a better voice for Luffy. That raspy voice just cuts straight through my soul. I like everyone else. :(

I just think that line and the way it was said is really suspicious. It doesn't really make sense given the situation.

It makes sense considering the speech he just gave.
In which he says the age of pirates who dream is not over, and then shows he fully understood why they didn't fight back when nobody else around figured it out. They could guess he was also a pirate with big dreams, and for that he must have a crew.

SykoTech

Oh man, those Drago reactions. Reading those is probably to closest I'll ever get to being able to relive that arc again.

Though I was a little luckier than he. I didn't know
Ace's fate...well, until I read the episode title anyway

I don't think I slept that night.

Found this: Blackbeard Spoilers.

Holy Shit

My word. This theory sounds so legit that I almost regret reading it, as my mind might not be blown as much as it could have been the moment Oda makes the big reveal.

I was even watching the Funimation dub of Skypiea a couple of months back, and I distinctly remember the "they" part. Given the way the line was delivered, it definitely sounded like something significant and perhaps foreshadow-y. The most I could guess is that Luffy and Zoro had
tapped into their Observation Haki and sensed Blackbeard's crew
. But that really doesn't make much sense as those guys were doing their own thing at the time and not in sync with what Teach was going on about.

This theory though....just perfect.

I would be disappointed if that was the reason they said "they." The way I thought of it
where they knew he was a pirate and probably a captain based only on his speech, just as he immediately understood their exact intentions for not fighting back against Bellamy
creates a deeper connection between them and Blackbeard, making them two sides of the same coin.

Korosenai

I would be disappointed if that was the reason they said "they." The way I thought of it
where they knew he was a pirate and probably a captain based only on his speech, just as he immediately understood their exact intentions for not fighting back against Bellamy
creates a deeper connection between them and Blackbeard, making them two sides of the same coin.

You can make the same case for them calling him "they" because of that fan theory. You can't say they can't tell that he is a
chimera
because of intuition or haki and then go on to say that they somehow knew he was a captain using intuition or haki or anything else.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
That was a really well animated fight. I also loved what Toei added to it. Now instead of being worfed, Smoker looked like he dominated or at least held his own in the fight, only falling due to a cheap shot. Which is definitely an improvement.

Hopefully Toei continues to build upon the rest of this arc's truncated fights (better than more buggy filler, no?)

Wiseblade

That was a really well animated fight. I also loved what Toei added to it. Now instead of being worfed, Smoker looked like he dominated or at least held his own in the fight, only falling due to a cheap shot. Which is definitely an improvement.

Not really, getting worked over is in Smoker's nature. I'm pretty sure the point of the fight was to show that Smoker hasn't really gotten stronger over the two years. He's even still carrying that Seastone Jutte. If anything, this makes Law look bad more than it makes Smoker look good.

Jigolo

What I got from the fight was that they are pretty even in power but I don't think Smoker was trying to kill Law. Rather he was trying to get answers out.

If they were both going all out in a deathmatch I think Smoker would win.

smurfx

get some go again
What I got from the fight was that they are pretty even in power but I don't think Smoker was trying to kill Law. Rather he was trying to get answers out.

no law is superior to smoker.

BatDan

Hahahahaha no.
Smoker has always been a case of "big fish in small lake". He was a Logia in the East Blue, the weakest of the seas. But when he got to the Grand Line, it was nothing but defeats.

Manga spoilers:
He just had his ass handed to him by Doflamingo, and would have died if Kuzan didn't intervene.

Also, Law is completely broken, even by One Piece standards.

Wiseblade

See? This is why the anime shouldn't mess with fights. It gives people the wrong idea.

BatDan

See? This is why the anime shouldn't mess with fights. It gives people the wrong idea.

Toei has been really bad about that lately.
Like Luffy struggling with that filler villain during the Z's Ambition arc.
But the worst was Hody managing to keep up with Luffy, when the whole point is that he was supposed to get curbstomped, and only lasted as long as he did by running and chugging steroids.

Meaning drugs and racism are bad, m'kay?

Jigolo

Any idea what chapter this fight is in the manga? I only read the manga when shit changes like this. Same thing happened when Luffy fought Hody. I heard that they changed the fight with a few things so I ended up reading the chapter to see what had changed

BobLoblaw

Banned
He kinda is. He's up there with Hancock, Bonney, and maybe even Perona (who could've likely killed WB if she wanted). Thing is, it seems like if your haki's strong enough, he can't do shit to you in his "room." At least, that's what
Doflamingo insinuates during Law's fight with Vergo

BatDan

Any idea what chapter this fight is in the manga? I only read the manga when shit changes like this. Same thing happened when Luffy fought Hody. I heard that they changed the fight with a few things so I ended up reading the chapter to see what had changed

Chapter 662, according to the Wiki.

Jigolo

Just read the chapter.....it's exactly the same. I don't know why you guys are making Smoker to be such a chump.

I know he gets whooped multiple times in this arc by Don. and Vergo. Flip flopped and read a few chapters :x

To me. after reading and watching the anime. Smoker and Law are both pretty close in power. To me it looked like Smoker was trying to get answers. Given the circumstances Smoker was at a disadvantage. Before the fight even started he was already in Law's 'Room' and he was busy worrying about his crew and the captain chick.

Raxus

Manga spoilers:
He just had his ass handed to him by Doflamingo, and would have died if Kuzan didn't intervene.

Close to it on paper but he is beatable. For one thing he actually has to slice/strike in order to have his power work, it only works a certain distance, it cannot swap living beings only objects, cuts can be overcome by haki, and most importantly he can't use the power on himself to his benefit (we have seen). Meaning he is a sitting duck in hand to hand. I imagine Law and Robin are very similar in their powers 'seem' to have a limited range but are ungodly strong in that area.

Granted I only say Law and Robin are similar because Robin's powers are so poorly defined.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I didn't remember the fight really well from the manga, so I went back and re-read it. Law definitely doesn't dominate Smoker. They fight for pretty much the whole chapter, and Smoker gets the upper hand at a couple points, gets his hand on Law's neck, etc. There's a lot of fighting from a distance, too, that we don't get to see. The anime is actually a pretty accurate portrayal of how that fight went. Maybe props Smoker up a BIT, but nothing huge.

Now I definitely agree that anime routinely fucks up the impact of manga fights by drawing out what is supposed to be a curbstomp--Bleach was particularly guilty of this--but this fight actually turned out pretty okay.

Kyuur

I read the manga and watch the anime with a couple of friends who don't read. I actually think that this fight was 'fillered out' quite nicely (good use of abilities, no stupid constantly repeated animations, and it didn't hurt the overall power relationship like Hordy vs Luffy). I think this arc has a much better amount of 'stuff' per chapter compared to Fishman Island that can be fluffed out without hurting it.

So I was thinking about it and where does this situation leave Smoker?

Obviously he's
in shit from from Law removing his heart, but will it kill him? I only watch the anime.

So I was thinking about it and where does this situation leave Smoker?

Obviously he's
in shit from from Law removing his heart, but will it kill him? I only watch the anime.

Let's be real here nobody
except for two characters in Marineford
dies in One Piece

BatDan

Let's be real here nobody
except for two characters in Marineford
dies in One Piece

I'm still waiting for Oda's explanation on how Monet survives. That seemed pretty clear-cut dead, but we'll see what happens. If it happens.

Acid08

Banned
Hey guys!

I've been watching the subs on YouTube, up to episode 63. I really like it so far. Are the fleet arcs with skipping? I watched the first episode of the Warship Island arc before skipping it.

Thoughts so far:

1. Usopp is so one note and annoying so far. I want to love his character though.
2. All the intro arcs felt like they had DBZ levels of crappy pacing. Like they should all have been two episodes shorter than they were.

Still really enjoying it though, it has my interest for sure. Will keep watching!

BatDan

There were signs she survived?

She's a named character, and her death wouldn't have the same emotional impact as others like Ace, Whitebeard, or named flashback characters. I mean, Pell survived a bomb, Conis' father survived one of Eneru's blasts.

"We'll have to wait and see", that's my motto with One Piece.

Top Bottom