• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Akito

Who said that was a ranking based on how sad their backstories were?
I guess I just happen to like Nami and Franky more than Brook. Robin's and Chopper's are indisputable.

smurfx

get some go again
Just finished the Chopper intro arc, absolutely loved it. Little dude is so adorable :)

Onto episode 93 tomorrow!
i think i still prefer the old chopper design over the newer one.

ibfqy0EnEoDYl3.gif

Verelios

I keep on rewatching One Piece movie 6. It truly is the best out of all the movies, so good. The art, animation, plot are all as fantastic as an actual OP mini- arc.

Which reminds me, how does Impel Down look animated? I only read the manga so I'm not sure if they did my man Magellan justice.

I keep on rewatching One Piece movie 6. It truly is the best out of all the movies, so good. The art, animation, plot are all as fantastic as an actual OP mini- arc.

Which reminds me, how does Impel Down look animated? I only read the manga so I'm not sure if they did my man Magellan justice.

Some of the best animated ish in the damn series. Why you sleeping on it?!

Meelow

Banned
Ok so I watched the first five episodes and I love it, the main characters are very likeable, Luffy is very honest (poor Coby lol) , Zaro is awesome, I'm just starting to get to know Nami and she's cool so far, she's great at tricking/screwing people over for sure lol.

The son of Morgan would drive me crazy if he was a real person lol.

Something I didn't get was in episode 5 were Nami lit the cannon and the clown Buggy just stood their practically crying not to be shot even though they had a chance to run confused me, but I guess some pirates never think.

I'm actually very happy now that it's a huge series, I am very interested into seeing if the story of getting to the Great Line expands much more and their is more to it that meets the eye.

Anyway, I'd say I'm getting addicted (or I'm at) to watching it, I'll speculating if I should watch episode 6 now or wait a little bit lol.

Akito

Ok so I watched the first five episodes and I love it, the main characters are very likeable, Luffy is very honest (poor Coby lol) , Zaro is awesome, I'm just starting to get to know Nami and she's cool so far, she's great at tricking/screwing people over for sure lol.

The son of Morgan would drive me crazy if he was a real person lol.

Something I didn't get was in episode 5 were Nami lit the cannon and the clown Buggy just stood their practically crying not to be shot even though they had a chance to run confused me, but I guess some pirates never think.

I'm actually very happy now that it's a huge series, I am very interested into seeing if the story of getting to the Great Line expands much more and their is more to it that meets the eye.

Anyway, I'd say I'm getting addicted (or I'm at) to watching it, I'll speculating if I should watch episode 6 now or wait a little bit lol.
5 episodes in and you're addicted already? The rest will be a hell of a ride then.

Norland had a great backstory and he wasn't even a Straw Hat.
Probably my favorite flashback of OP. Not the saddest but the best.

don't know if it was posted already but has anyone seen this? Apparently concepts for the original crew by oda. Lol at chopper

"In One Piece Green: Secret Pieces an early concept of the crew was revealed. No changes in particular are seen in Luffy, Zoro, and Nami aside from a few small ones; such as Zoro carrying a bottle of sake on his waist and wearing a dark shirt rather than a white one, and Nami's skirt being a little wavy rather than having straight cuts.
Sanji was supposed to have a somewhat thicker goatee from the beginning.
Usopp was supposed to be a vice captain/sniper that resembled his father more.
Chopper was supposed to be more of a "realistic-looking reindeer".
Franky replaced the original midget carpenter.
Robin replaced a man that was supposed to be more of a plant lover than a history lover.
Brook also was supposed to have a fancy hat instead of his trademark afro."

vU999Qe.png

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
don't know if it was posted already but has anyone seen this? Apparently concepts for the original crew by oda. Lol at chopper

"In One Piece Green: Secret Pieces an early concept of the crew was revealed. No changes in particular are seen in Luffy, Zoro, and Nami aside from a few small ones; such as Zoro carrying a bottle of sake on his waist and wearing a dark shirt rather than a white one, and Nami's skirt being a little wavy rather than having straight cuts.
Sanji was supposed to have a somewhat thicker goatee from the beginning.
Usopp was supposed to be a vice captain/sniper that resembled his father more.
Chopper was supposed to be more of a "realistic-looking reindeer".
Franky replaced the original midget carpenter.
Robin replaced a man that was supposed to be more of a plant lover than a history lover.
Brook also was supposed to have a fancy hat instead of his trademark afro."

vU999Qe.png

The One Piece data books are always fun to read (at least the translations).
My favorite piece of "what could have been" is Sanji's original name. He would have been called Naruto, but the Jump editors told Oda not to as they were still optioning that series with the Ninja. That does explain Sanji's curly eyebrows.

Pretty awesome arc, it was that arc that got me into One Piece anime and got me to follow it weekly for so long, that and Marineford, easily One Piece at its best.

BatDan

I don't want to turn this thread into that conversation but how is Naruto and the like doing in America? I don't see as much about it anymore. I really hope the push for OP pays off here.

Comic book sales in general are pretty weak, even with the movie boom.
I think Naruto has gone down since Shippuden is no longer on US TV, Disney XD cancelled it when they felt it was getting too violent.
Meaning that for a period of time, Bleach was the only member of the Big 3 one US airwaves. At least until Toonami came back and the first Naruto anime returned to it, and we have One Piece coming soon.

In sales news: the latest One Piece volume got #1... in America.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-03-22/new-york-times-manga-best-seller-list-march-10-16

For once, the #1 manga wasn't Naruto, Bleach or Sailor Moon, but One Piece. Wooo.

About time! I think this is the first time it's ever placed #1, no? Then again, Viz releases new Naruto and One Piece apart now, so maybe that's why One Piece is placing higher than previous positions. Still fantastic news!

I'll likely pre-order volume 67 soon after I buy vols 31&32 on Amazon (curse you B&N shelf yellowing!). Pretty darn close to filling in my first gap (currently have 1-30, 39-54, 61-66).

Kokonoe

Banned
Was so glad when Spandam got what was coming to him, and I didn't think I'd like Franky at first when I saw his character but he actually fits in quite well.

Water 7 arc was pretty good, plenty of interesting and funny characters, although I thing the little girl is a bit too fearless at times. I liked how everyone got new moves, although I would have liked to see how they got them or learned them in the first place, but still nice to see.

Luffy's father kinda was unexpected to me, for some reason I was thinking he would be the King of the Pirates, Roger. I'm sure they'll mention how they are related later (as I continue to watch). Also, the marines being the actual villain is a nice plot twist.

Anyways, i'm going to poof until I finish the next arc.

-edit-

Oh yeah, and the Usopp VS Luffy fight was actually pretty good, I'd like to see him fight like that more often.

Jigolo

Was so glad when Spandam got what was coming to him, and I didn't think I'd like Franky at first when I saw his character but he actually fits in quite well.

Water 7 arc was pretty good, plenty of interesting and funny characters, although I thing the little girl is a bit too fearless at times. I liked how everyone got new moves, although I would have liked to see how they got them or learned them in the first place, but still nice to see.

Luffy's father kinda was unexpected to me, for some reason I was thinking he would be the King of the Pirates, Roger. I'm sure they'll mention how they are related later (as I continue to watch). Also, the marines being the actual villain is a nice plot twist.

Anyways, i'm going to poof until I finish the next arc.

-edit-

Oh yeah, and the Usopp VS Luffy fight was actually pretty good, I'd like to see him fight like that more often.

fixed

I don't want to turn this thread into that conversation but how is Naruto and the like doing in America? I don't see as much about it anymore. I really hope the push for OP pays off here.

Well for manga in 2012
I dont think it was mentioned but they did a chart of the top 25 manga in America for 2012.

1 Naruto
2 Sailor Moon
3 Bleach
4 Black Butler
5 Rosario & Vampire
6 Death Note
7 Soul Eater
8 BLue Exorcist
9 Black Bird
10 Vampire Knight
11 Maximum Ride
12 Alice in the Country of Hearts
13 Pandora Hearts
14 One Piece
15 Bakuman
16 High School of the Dead
17 Full Metal Alchemist
18 Dragonball/DBZ
19 Durarara!!
20 Dawn of Arcana
21 Spice & Wolf
22 Yu-Gi-Oh!
23 D. Gray Man
24 Earl and Fairy
25 Godoka Magica
includes all channels

For estimated volume numbers, of a few in 2012.
Naruto = 151,284
21 volumes
volume 55 - 17,243
volume 54 - 15,868
volume 56 - 14,923
volume 57 - 14,317
volume 58 - 12,347
volume 53 - 10,313
volume 59 - 10,138
volume 1 - 7,478

Sailor Moon = 129,894
8 volumes
volume 3 - 22,400
volume 4 - 19,362
volume 1 - 18,557
volume 5 - 16,719
volume 2 - 16,005
volume 6 - 14,425
volume 7 - 11,787
volume 8 - 10,639

Bleach = 98,648
21 volumes
volume 38 - 7,130
volume 40 - 6,958
volume 41 - 6,664
volume 39 - 6,292
3-in-1 volume 1 - 6,202
volume 1 - 5,622
volume 42 - 5,314
volume 43 - 5,251

One Piece = 53,030
12 volumes
volume 1 - 7,318
volume 61 - 6,184
volume 60 - 5,238
volume 62 - 5,188
volume 63 - 4,691
volume 2 - 4,222
volume 64 - 4,184
volume 3 - 3,481

Rather impressive episode that definitely enhances the source material. Seeing Room and such in action, having the voices on the characters when the switcheroo takes place and just the visuals for all the slicing made it more interesting than the manga. Cant wait to see things go down in 587

BatDan

I think the "boob slide" might be the weirdest bit of filler they've ever done

Hell, this episode was full of tits with Sanji (in Nami's body) opening her coat and shaking them, and Smoker (as Tashigi) opening her shirt with plenty of close-ups. The animators must have been lonely that week.

Acid08

Banned
One thing that surprised me about this show is that there's really no relationship drama subplots to speak of. It's just awesome adventure and action. Not that I'm against relationship plot lines but a lot of shows focus so heavily on them that it gets tiresome.

Top Bottom