• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

SykoTech

Lmao @ the latest episode. Gotta love One Piece humor.

Anyways, i'm going to poof until I finish the next arc.

It's for the best.

Great impressions though.. Keeping them coming as you progress.

One thing that surprised me about this show is that there's really no relationship drama subplots to speak of. It's just awesome adventure and action. Not that I'm against relationship plot lines but a lot of shows focus so heavily on them that it gets tiresome.

Agreed. I'm alright with relationship stuff, but they tend to leave to a lot of predictable love triangles and shipping war BS in manga/anime series like these. I find it pleasantly refreshing that One Piece doesn't have any of that.

Meelow

Banned
Just watched Movie 1, really liked it, I liked the art style they chose for it as well.

One Piece is defiantly the funniest anime I watched.

I wish though that all the movies were dubbed (the JP voice actors are really good but just looking at the subtitles the whole time is annoying at times lol).

Soriku

Just watched Movie 1, really liked it, I liked the art style they chose for it as well.

One Piece is defiantly the funniest anime I watched.

I wish though that all the movies were dubbed (the JP voice actors are really good but just looking at the subtitles the whole time is annoying at times lol).

The subtitles...you get used to it.

still cant believe the anime hasn't revealed what Caesar Clown looks like. I think we wont get a new opening until they do. But god damn, couldn't they have just shown a silhouette instead of continuing to showing hordy and the other fishmen? That arc has been over for some time, its time to move on Toei.

Soriku

I'm not 100% sure but does halfway through the series the English dub end?

I've only watched it subbed so no idea.

still cant believe the anime hasn't revealed what Caesar Clown looks like. I think we wont get a new opening until they do. But god damn, couldn't they have just shown a silhouette instead of continuing to showing hordy and the other fishmen? That arc has been over for some time, its time to move on Toei.

Lol. This must be a new level of laziness. Has any other anime taken this long to change its opening? Can anyone explain this? The only reason I can think of is that they want the manga to get a little further ahead so they know what to animate for the next arc and can incorporate stuff from Punk Hazard and the next arc into one opening so they're good for two arcs. But in my mind that still equates to laziness.

zyXY91v.jpg

One Piece 588: meeting again after two years! luffy and law!

Rqihd8V.gif

I've only watched it subbed so no idea.

Lol. This must be a new level of laziness. Has any other anime taken this long to change its opening? Can anyone explain this? The only reason I can think of is that they want the manga to get a little further ahead so they know what to animate for the next arc and can incorporate stuff from Punk Hazard and the next arc into one opening so they're good for two arcs. But in my mind that still equates to laziness.

Toriko is on 94 episodes and still going using the same OP. At least for one piece the op did have four or so episodes with film z footage.

Soriku

So yeah, this episode...

Untitled-6.jpg

Pack it up, we're done here.

This whole episode was weird. Boob sliding, fart-talking?? I also like how Nami/Tashigi don't mind Sanji/Smoker smoking in their bodies. Personally I'd like to keep that shit away.

Jigolo

So yeah, this episode...

Untitled-6.jpg

Pack it up, we're done here.

This whole episode was weird. Boob sliding, fart-talking?? I also like how Nami/Tashigi don't mind Sanji/Smoker smoking in their bodies. Personally I'd like to keep that shit away.

Lighten up, man. You act like OP does this all the time. This is the first episode where they've mentioned breasts that much. It's just 1 episode....out of about 600.

Tenrius

I started watching One Piece last spring and had a total blast with it. The series has arguably the best sense of adventure amongst all the television I watched and it always comes up with something new.

When I hit Skypiea though, I started watching less and less often, haven't watched an episode for quite a while now. This arc/saga, while having some really good moments (going up the stream with We Are! playing in the background, oh yes), is way too long and overall not very appealing. I felt it could be much better.

Still, I'm two episodes away from its ultimate conclusion and hopefully further episodes won't fail to deliver.

Jigolo

I started watching One Piece last spring and had a total blast with it. The series has arguably the best sense of adventure amongst all the television I watched and it always comes up with something new.

When I hit Skypiea though, I started watching less and less often, haven't watched an episode for quite a while now. This arc/saga, while having some really good moments (going up the stream with We Are! playing in the background, oh yes), is way too long and overall not very appealing. I felt it could be much better.

Still, I'm two episodes away from its ultimate conclusion and hopefully further episodes won't fail to deliver.

Skypiea is the worst arc of the whole series in my opinion. It's the one I disliked the most. But keep watching.... you're about to hit the next arc at about episode 215. The best arc in my opinion, Water 7.

Keep us posted.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Personally, I think Skypiea is better in the English dub. A lot of it thanks to J. Michael Tatum as Eneru, who completely owns the performance. It's one of the dub voices fans claim is better than the original, and I agree with this.

It's also great in the manga if you marathon it. That's the thing about the manga, reading one chapter a week can get tedious, but reading in volumes makes life so much easier.

Tenrius

I watched it subbed, it was alright. Can't say anything about the dub.

Well, I actually liked Enel and how purely crazy he was, but the problem is that all he does is just sitting on his throne laughing hysterically and talking about how great he is. All that for dozens of episodes, it gets old very soon.

Personally, I think Skypiea is better in the English dub. A lot of it thanks to J. Michael Tatum as Eneru, who completely owns the performance. It's one of the dub voices fans claim is better than the original, and I agree with this.

It's also great in the manga if you marathon it. That's the thing about the manga, reading one chapter a week can get tedious, but reading in volumes makes life so much easier.

Can we be friends?

Agreed.

I personally prefer J. Michael Tatum's Eneru over the original by far. It's highly enjoyable reading Eneru's speech bubbles with his voice in mind; it's perfect. And yeah, reading Skypiea in bulk makes the arc more enjoyable, but then again I never had problems with Skypiea since it's one of my favorite arcs.

aechris

You seem to be confused! I'm not complaining at all, lolol.

I'm complaining about it for sure. I've been totally turned off One Piece since they've started doing this. Nami and Robin aren't wearing clothes anymore. Straight up ridiculous fanservice that makes me embarrassed to watch the show.

I'm complaining about it for sure. I've been totally turned off One Piece since they've started doing this. Nami and Robin aren't wearing clothes anymore. Straight up ridiculous fanservice that makes me embarrassed to watch the show.

Not that I condone it but their designs now aren't exactly the first time for that kind of pandering. I mean Amazon Lily is one and most young women in the series don't dress like nuns. Oda knows his audience well

Meelow

Banned
On episode 29, Sanji is a cool character, his legs are very long I noticed lol, but I liked his back story about how him and Zeff.

Surprised about Nami though at the end of episode 28, glad she truly liked Luffy, Zoro, and Usopp and didn't just try to use them.

On episode 29, Sanji is a cool character, his legs are very long I noticed lol, but I liked his back story about how him and Zeff.

Surprised about Nami though at the end of episode 28, glad she truly liked Luffy, Zoro, and Usopp and didn't just try to use them

tumblr_meoli8b4CO1rom0i2.gif

Can't wait to see what you'll think of the next arc

Acid08

Banned
This
Alabasta
arc is sooooooo long. I think it's finally going to get somewhere soon though. Last episode with
Vivi and Luffy confrontation plus Crocodile revealing his plan. Also oh damn at Vivi's childhood friend leading the rebels. About to be some draaaaaama.

Tenrius

This
Alabasta
arc is sooooooo long. I think it's finally going to get somewhere soon though. Last episode with
Vivi and Luffy confrontation plus Crocodile revealing his plan. Also oh damn at Vivi's childhood friend leading the rebels. About to be some draaaaaama.

It drags a bit in the middle (when they go through the desert and there are fillers), but overall it's my favorite ark so far. Sanji as Mr. Prince, Bon Clay, the battles, the conclusion - awesome stuff.

This
Alabasta

Basically the 5 episodes or so with Ace are completely filler minus the final scene which was supposed to happen earlier. Generally filler episodes in the middle of arcs like that and the ones at the end of Return to Water 7 I skip because they completely kill the plot's momentum.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
This
Alabasta

Crocodile is such a boss. One of my favorite villains in anything, ever.

I'm envious of you guys who are just getting into it with some 600 episodes of show/700 chapters of manga to catch up with.

This
Alabasta

Well if you think that arc is long, I cant imagine what youll say regarding the next major arc...

BatDan

Manga chapter wise, the longest arc is Skypiea at 66 Chapters. Alabasta is the second longest at 63 Chapters.

Here's the longest going by the One Piece Wiki

Skypiea: 66
Alabasta: 63
Enies Lobby 56
Water 7: 53
Fishman Island: 51
Thriller Bark: 48
Punk Hazard: 44

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Manga chapter wise, the longest arc is Skypiea at 66 Chapters. Alabasta is the second longest at 63 Chapters.

Here's the longest going by the One Piece Wiki

Skypiea: 66
Alabasta: 63
Enies Lobby 56
Water 7: 53
Fishman Island: 51
Thriller Bark: 48
Punk Hazard: 44

Anime episode-wise it's:

Fishman Island: 52 (longer than the manga by 1 because of the Toriko crossover)
Enies Lobby: 49
Thriller Bark: 45
Skypiea: 43
Arabasta: 39
Water 7: 35
Marineford: 33

Interesting to see where that 1:1 pace starts to kick in.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Thriller Bark was 45 episodes? My god, that seems a little overboard, even if it is one of my favorites.

To be fair, that number includes all the wrap up and crewmember backstory that comes at the end of it, good for about 7 or 8 episodes after the big bad is done. Still, though, that's where the anime really switches over to its current nearly 1:1 pace.

Enies Lobby was 58 episodes? Damn, much longer than I thought.

Actually, I need to check this, because it doesn't seem right to me.

EDIT: Yeah, it wasn't right, it's actually significantly less. See the fix above.

BatDan

Those later arcs are why we seriously need a One Piece Kai after the series ends.

Or a motion comic that makes use of the original art and covers like 3-4 chapters per episode (which is half a volume).

It's more like, "this arc was so good but I didn't know it lasted so long" ie. didn't drag. Even though the whole arc was basically a full-on brawl with CP9.

49 is still a lot of episodes.

To be fair 6 of those were recap filler and 1-2 were chopper man and boss luffy filler

Taborcarn

I kind of consider Amazon Lilly/ Impel Down/ Marineford as 1 arc
the Luffy without his crew arc.

I wonder how that combined would stack up to the rest, since it feels like that part took forever.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of consider Amazon Lilly/ Impel Down/ Marineford as 1 arc
the Luffy without his crew arc.

I wonder how that combined would stack up to the rest, since it feels like that part took forever.

It's either 109 or 111 episodes depending on whether or not you want to count the Chief Luffy episodes right at the start of it. That is, of course, also counting
the Post-War and Sabo Arcs
in that mix as well (it's about 85 if you don't include those). Basically everything from
the end of Sabaody to the timeskip

The entire
Whitebeard War
Saga, from start to completion, is 192 episodes long, by FAR the longest of any of the major sagas to date. The second longest is the CP9 Saga, which clocks in around 99 episodes, then Baroque Works at 69.

It's either 109 or 111 episodes depending on whether or not you want to count the Chief Luffy episodes right at the start of it. That is, of course, also counting
the Post-War and Sabo Arcs
in that mix as well (it's about 85 if you don't include those). Basically everything from
the end of Sabaody to the timeskip

The entire
Whitebeard War
Saga, from start to completion, is 192 episodes long, by FAR the longest of any of the major sagas to date. The second longest is the CP9 Saga, which clocks in around 99 episodes, then Baroque Works at 69.

That's considering Thriller Bark as a part of the WW sage correct? I know it's technically part of that arc but it really feels like kind of it's own thing. Then again the fans have deemed Fishman Isle and Return to Sabody as "The Fishman Isle Saga" when it really doesn't deserve it's own saga.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
That's considering Thriller Bark as a part of the WW sage correct? I know it's technically part of that arc but it really feels like kind of it's own thing. Then again the fans have deemed Fishman Isle and Return to Sabody as "The Fishman Isle Saga" when it really doesn't deserve it's own saga.

Thriller Bark is largely its own arc but with major tie-ins to the greater saga in the second half of the arc. It
reintroduces Kuma, introduces Blackbeard as a Warlord, reveals that Ace has been captured, reveals that the Marines are going to need the Warlords to assemble in the event Whitebeard tries anything, explains the concept of the Vivre Card, causes the damage that incapacitates Zoro in the next arc, etc
. It's sort of like how Drum is embedded in the Baroque Works Saga but only has tenuous ties to the arching storyline of the rest of the saga (TB actually has stronger ties to the greater story than Drum does). It also counts the Ice Hunter Arc because, well, that arc happens after the first episode of the saga. 325 is pretty definitively the start of the storyline, and the previous saga is clearly over by that episode.

Sabaody Reprise/Fishman Island kind of has to be either its own saga or not a part of any saga at all. It's clearly a separate beast from the current saga that began with Punk Hazard and is now continuing in the new arc. Although given the way things were set up there for the future, it might be entirely plausible that the whole concept of the "saga" structure that worked in the first half of the series might not really apply in the second half in the first place.

789shadow

Banned
As it stands now, Return to Sabaody/Fishman Island has got to be a saga in of itself, due to length and not really being connected to anything after it.

Top Bottom