• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
RE: Shanks, consider that he lost his arm a long time ago. Sure later in the series he becomes a total badass, but Luffy was just a tiny shit when all that happened! It was what, ten years before the series properly began? Eight years? Something? And look at how much stronger Luffy's gotten in TWO years. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think that Shanks and his crew were pretty okay back then sure, but nowhere near great enough to make the loss of that arm unbelievable.

Acid08

Banned
Last episode left off with Luffy getting
gutted by Crocodile and Miss All Sunday saving him. What's her deal? I kinda like her now though.
Crocodile is just
becoming more and more of an asshole with each passing episode. This guys plan to destroy Yuba is horrifying.
Fuck this guy can't wait to see Luffy destroy him.

Last episode left off with Luffy getting
gutted by Crocodile and Miss All Sunday saving him. What's her deal? I kinda like her now though.
Crocodile is just
becoming more and more of an asshole with each passing episode. This guys plan to destroy Yuba is horrifying.
Fuck this guy can't wait to see Luffy destroy him.

Loving your thoughts hope you keep going!

Riposte

I had a problem with One Piece because while reading it I would mimic the unique laughs, absentmindedly, since I couldn't really imagine how they sounded. The problem was that I sometimes read One Piece in public.

RE: Shanks, consider that he lost his arm a long time ago. Sure later in the series he becomes a total badass, but Luffy was just a tiny shit when all that happened! It was what, ten years before the series properly began? Eight years? Something? And look at how much stronger Luffy's gotten in TWO years. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think that Shanks and his crew were pretty okay back then sure, but nowhere near great enough to make the loss of that arm unbelievable.

But Shanks was regularly dueling Mihawk at that point, and Shanks used haki to scare off the sea monster.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
But Shanks was regularly dueling Mihawk at that point, and Shanks used haki to scare off the sea monster.

Well let's accept for a moment the idea that Shanks WAS a total badass back then. That doesn't preclude the notion that Luffy might've been so close to death that Shanks' only recourse was to put himself in harms way. Any assault on the monster itself in that situation might've defeated it effortlessly, but not put its teeth away from Luffy fast enough. So Luffy had to be the target. Get him out of the way at the expense of an arm.

Being a super strong dude doesn't mean you can't get your arm bit off if you put it in a sea monster's mouth. Whitebeard ate it from Squard and he coulda probably turned that dude into ash with a fart if he wanted to. Surprise situation will screw over even the toughest dude.

Moaradin

Nah, gonna stick with the dub like I always do. I much prefer hearing things in English. Let's keep it at that, I always get crap for preferring dubs.

It's alright. The One Piece funi dub is really fucking good. That's how I'm watching it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yep. It sucks. Doesn't make any sense with him just
cutting it off

I think when I first watched that, ages ago, I thought he had
lost the leg while saving Sanji, and since he was minus one leg, he just didn't need to eat as much (any) food
. Manga sure set me straight.

789shadow

Banned
He lost it saving Sanji. He didn't just wake up one day and decide to hack it off for giggles.
No, the manga's theme is more consistent.
He gave all his food to Sanji and ate his own leg, the leg that brought him fame, to save the life of a kid who shared his dream.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
What doesn't make sense is how he managed to survive so long without eating -- the manga is more plausible.

The anime sometimes has plot holes like that.

Warship Island gave two to Zoro. First was when he said there's "nothing I can't cut" when his big fight in the Alabasta arc involved cutting something he couldn't cut. Second was the presence of dragons,
while in Thriller Bark he told Ryumma he doesn't believe in dragons.
The anime avoided that last part by removing the line.

My favorite is during the Davy Back Fight filler (specifically the Dodgeball game) where we see Chopper eating two Rumble Balls in a short amount of time. Then Enies Lobby happens where
eating two Rumble Balls leads to Chopper losing control of his transformations.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Second was the presence of dragons,
while in Thriller Bark he told Ryumma he doesn't believe in dragons.
The anime avoided that last part by removing the line.

This comes back to haunt the anime again in
Punk Hazard, where Zoro, upon coming face to face with an actual dragon, exclaims that he thought they were just a myth

Acid08

Banned
Bahahaha, he's so great. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Crocodile is like the world's most competent Bond villain.
He is such a dick!!!!!! Great villain though. The last thing he did was
show up in Alburna to say he's going to blow up the palace square in thirty minutes
. Despite the kinda boring desert travel stuff this arc has been ace. Super funny, great action, great villains, and TENSION!

Jigolo

He is such a dick!!!!!! Great villain though. The last thing he did was
show up in Alburna to say he's going to blow up the palace square in thirty minutes
. Despite the kinda boring desert travel stuff this arc has been ace. Super funny, great action, great villains, and TENSION!

I'm curious. are you watching subs or dubs?

Korosenai

Subs all the way, man!
Jeremiah%20Johnson%20nod.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
More sense than surviving a whole month without food.

The human body can go weeks without food. It's water that's the problem.

On the sub vs. dub front, there's nothing wrong with the dub. It's pretty nice work and nothing wrong with watching the show that way. The only issue is that you run out of episodes to watch hundreds of episodes behind what's current, and your only options are to either wait it out for the slow trickle of new dubbed episodes or switch to the Japanese voices mid-way through the series, which can be something of an adjustment.

The Japanese cast feels more like a "family," too, probably largely due to how they record it with all the characters there and sharing mics and playing off of one another. Different and more dynamic compared to how the dub has to be done.

BatDan

Woah, what the fuck?! So Sanji walks in on this in the manga?

No he doesn't see it happen. After they split up, we see Zeff smash his leg with a rock and it cuts away to Sanji. He only learns about it when he tries to kill him and get his food, and sees the empty stump, realizing what he did.

Mr. Fix

No he doesn't see it happen. After they split up, we see Zeff smash his leg with a rock and it cuts away to Sanji. He only learns about it when he tries to kill him and get his food, and sees the empty stump, realizing what he did.

Damn. I should go back and read the first half.

Meelow

Banned
On episode 49, kinda felt bad for Buggy the Clown lol, liking Loguetown so far, kinda surprised everyone started cheering when Gold Roger was executed, I know it's gold but wow at that moment lol.

I like the new opening song as well :D

Fixed that.

Lol didn't see that, thanks :)

BatDan

On episode 49, kinda felt bad for Buggy the Clown lol, liking Loguetown so far, kinda surprised everyone started cheering when Gold Roger was executed, I know it's gold but wow at that moment lol.

I like the new opening song as well :D

Fixed that.

Top Bottom