• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Tenrius

Well, I'm finally done with Skypiea (those last two episodes were pretty good, nice to see the crew fully reunited), watched a couple of G-8 episodes. Enjoying it immensely even if it's filler, such a breath of fresh air and hilarious, too.

Korosenai

Well, I'm finally done with Skypiea (those last two episodes were pretty good, nice to see the crew fully reunited), watched a couple of G-8 episodes. Enjoying it immensely even if it's filler, such a breath of fresh air and hilarious, too.

G8 is definitely the best filler and it doesn't even feel like filler when watching it.

Meelow

Banned
On episode 37, Nami's backstory was so sad, but I can't believe Gonzo told the marines about the "berry's" Nami had.

The story's getting really good so far.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

G-8 is maybe the best filler arc in any major shounen series. It's a shame that no filler has been even remotely close to being as good ever since.

Acid08

Banned
Forgot to mention that I fucking love the opening song in season 2. I actually have been listening to it 90% of the time ._.

Acid08

Banned
Man I have no idea how the Straw Hats are going to beat
Miss All Sunday and Crocodile
. These guys are so strong. They just revealed
Sunday's devil fruit powers, holy shit.

Seda

So...............

this is my first post in this thread

I watched the first four episodes (Funi dub)

what am I getting myself into

Jigolo

So...............

this is my first post in this thread

I watched the first four episodes (Funi dub)

what am I getting myself into

before you get too far, start watching with subs. That way you can be like the rest of us and wait for the new episode each week. (which sucks lol)

Also you'll get further in the series with subs.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
So I'm about 250 episodes in to the manga (loving it so far) and was thinking of buying the first couple of seasons on DVD from Amazon. How good is the anime compared to the manga? Is it a straight 1:1 conversion like Ippo (amazing; my golden standard) or does it add a lot of filler like Dragonball?

Hackbert

So I'm about 250 episodes in to the manga (loving it so far) and was thinking of buying the first couple of seasons on DVD from Amazon. How good is the anime compared to the manga? Is it a straight 1:1 conversion like Ippo (amazing; my golden standard) or does it add a lot of filler like Dragonball?

filler mini arcs after the most big arcs to let the manga get some headstart before the anime studio can catch up.
i really do not like the lazy animation at times. Manga all the way. But that are just my five cents...

Seda

before you get too far, start watching with subs. That way you can be like the rest of us and wait for the new episode each week. (which sucks lol)

Also you'll get further in the series with subs.

Nah, gonna stick with the dub like I always do. I much prefer hearing things in English. Let's keep it at that, I always get crap for preferring dubs.

Wiseblade

Nah, gonna stick with the dub like I always do. I much prefer hearing things in English. Let's keep it at that, I always get crap for preferring dubs.

Don't listen to that. If you enjoy the dub, listen to it. Although that probably means you didn't watch Dragon Ball Z growing up, in which case I hate you and everything you stand for.

Seda

Many of the same actors doing the same voices. Zoro sounds way too much like Piccolo and Usopp like Krillin for me and it just becomes awkward to listen to.

Fair enough, although that sort of stuff doesn't bother me.

Anyways enough about that.

I guess if people want to hear the thoughts of somebody watching the show for the first time without knowing really anything at all about how things unfold (that would be me).

After four episodes, Luffy is about as aloof and zany as I expected, however, he can be a jerk sometimes even if it's inadvertent (like in the very first episode he just tells Coby he hates people like him and laughs about it). I had imagined him being like this incredibly naive overly nice guy. Also he is about as straightforward as you could possibly get. Zoro seems to be that guy with a bit of a detached personality on the outside, but is not as 'cool' as he is perceived by the population. It already has introduced (one of) his motivation(s) - besting this blue haired girl who I suppose is his sister or something.

And Shanks seems like (seemed like) a cool dude, although he lost his arm ;-;

789shadow

Banned
Fair enough, although that sort of stuff doesn't bother me.

Anyways enough about that.

I guess if people want to hear the thoughts of somebody watching the show for the first time without knowing really anything at all about how things unfold (that would be me).

After four episodes, Luffy is about as aloof and zany as I expected, however, he can be a jerk sometimes even if it's inadvertent (like in the very first episode he just tells Coby he hates people like him and laughs about it). I had imagined him being like this incredibly naive overly nice guy. Also he is about as straightforward as you could possibly get. Zoro seems to be that guy with a bit of a detached personality on the outside, but is not as 'cool' as he is perceived by the population. It already has introduced (one his) his motivation(s) - besting this blue haired girl who I suppose is his sister or something.

And Shanks seems like (seemed like) a cool dude, although he lost his arm ;-;
Kuina is not his sister, and Shanks isn't cool. He FUCK AWESOME.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Welcome aboard Seda. This will make the Toonami viewings much easier as you won't be as confused.

You do learn about Zoro's flashback fairly soon. In the manga though, it happened right there.

Seda

Welcome aboard Seda. This will make the Toonami viewings much easier as you won't be as confused.

You do learn about Zoro's flashback fairly soon. In the manga though, it happened right there.

Yeah it sounds like Toonami won't be starting at episode 1, so I figured I'd start from the beginning. Worst case - they do start at episode 1 and I rewatch.

You got your head on straight. Even though I prefer the subs for OP, it's annoying when I do like the dub people tell me to watch with subs. Besides, OP's dub is well done. I just don't like Luffy's voice personally. Oh, and as for spoilers, careful hanging around this thread.

Seda

You got your head on straight. Even though I prefer the subs for OP, it's annoying when I do like the dub people tell me to watch with subs. Besides, OP's dub is well done. I just don't like Luffy's voice personally. Oh, and as for spoilers, careful hanging around this thread.

Yeah I realize the risk or jumping into a show years late and trying to discuss it.

But so far, I know literally nothing past episode 4, other than the redhead (whose name I don't even recall even though I'm sure I've seen it mentioned in passing) and Usopp (who's name I only recall because it was mentioned a few posts ago) join the team.

Other than that, nothing.

Wiseblade

Spoilers! It hasn't revealed her name yet or who she is (I believe). I was just guessing.

-just kidding about the spoilers, as long as you don't reveal major twists.

In the manga, Zoro's background gets fleshed out right there and then. in the anime they hold back on it until a little later.

Kaizer

Banned
Yeah I realize the risk or jumping into a show years late and trying to discuss it.

But so far, I know literally nothing past episode 4, other than the redhead (whose name I don't even recall even though I'm sure I've seen it mentioned in passing) and Usopp (who's name I only recall because it was mentioned a few posts ago) join the team.

Other than that, nothing.

Have fun man, One Piece is one of those shows that gets better overtime. The craziness, action and characters just keep ratcheting up a level with each new arc.

Verelios

Thats a Damn good pt. Something I never questioned until you just brought it up.

That discussion needs its own thread

I thought about this a little, but then realized Oda hadn't even put together power structures yet, based on the early shows.

No way to know how much of a BA he would be; the dissonance by his arm missing.

Don't listen to that. If you enjoy the dub, listen to it. Although that probably means you didn't watch Dragon Ball Z growing up, in which case I hate you and everything you stand for.

Not really, most of the voices that are the same are from DBZ Kai, if you go back and listen to some of the comparison videos of the old Funi dub the voices are noticeably different. The Kai voices have just become the staples were used to.

Edit: I know because after falling into that trap awhile back, I went back and compared the 90's funi dub to the OP dub, it's fairly different. DBZ Kai to OP though it's the exact same voice for every character.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yeah the two of them have great laughs, best in the series has to be the villain of the most recent anime arc

SHORORORORORO

It helps that
he's played by the voice of Freeza

Personally, I don't have a problem with the Straw Hats sounding like DBZ characters. Hell, in Japan, Krillin and Luffy are the same.

Top Bottom