• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Acid08

Banned
Damn at Luffy's last barrage of attacks on
Crocodile
. Fucking beautiful. This arc <3

I'm way into this show guys. Can't believe how quickly I've gone through almost 150 episodes. Doesn't feel like that at all.

Tenrius

By the way, I thought that Shandians, Wiper's friends in particular, were very reminiscent of Jet Set Radio characters. The overall look, the way they move around - all very similar. I was half-expecting them to start drawing graffiti, actually!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Damn at Luffy's last barrage of attacks on
Crocodile
. Fucking beautiful. This arc <3

I'm way into this show guys. Can't believe how quickly I've gone through almost 150 episodes. Doesn't feel like that at all.

Episode 126 is still one of the best in the series, and one of the best final 5 minutes to any episode. So good.

Warning: the single longest stretch of filler in the entire series is coming up in a few episodes (131-143). Some of it is pretty alright. Some of it is pretty bad. Some of it is REALLY fucking bad.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Eh, idk. I might check out a couple of the episodes. What's so bad about them?

The standalone episodes (131-135) are okay, and the Goat Island arc (136-138) isn't too horrid. Rainbow Mist though (139-143) is abysmal. It's like the Apis arc, but with waaay more annoying kids.

I still think that
Luffy vs. Lucci
had the best fight end out of all of them. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfxJLFJVHnM)

CP9 was just so damn good. Can't wait to watch it again on Toonami.

I feel like in the anime the Crocodile beat down is better partially because everything comes together perfectly (music, visuals, drama). The
Lucci
beat down isn't as satisfying because the music just isn't as epic, and the final attack is a move Luffy had used earlier in the fight so it overall didn't impress me as much. In the manga however I feel like the
lucci
beat down is a lot better.

Also the only filler that's worth skipping is anything involving Foxy, seriously f that guy.

I liked all the filler between Alabasta and Jaya, helps to establish Robin as part of the crew for the next arc. The stand alone episodes more or less focus on each character interacting with Robin, Goat Island arc is boring it's like the episode with the guy in the treasure chest but less memorable. I honestly like the rainbow mist arc it has a sense of mystery that you'd often associate with pirates and secret treasure but usually OP doesn't have. Plus it has a cool twist ending that I really enjoyed.

BatDan

I feel like in the anime the Crocodile beat down is better partially because everything comes together perfectly (music, visuals, drama). The
Lucci
beat down isn't as satisfying because the music just isn't as epic, and the final attack is a move Luffy had used earlier in the fight so it overall didn't impress me as much. In the manga however I feel like the
lucci
beat down is a lot better.

Also the only filler that's worth skipping is anything involving Foxy, seriously f that guy.

I really don't like how Toei attempted to turn him and his two crew mates into a Team Rocket of sorts.

Toei: Saaay Oda, you want to do more chapters with Foxy? We could use material.
Oda: Zzz huh wha? No, no more Foxy. That was just a short fun arc I wanted to do after two really long ones. I have to start outlining Thriller Bark now, go away.
Toei: ... FINE! We'll turn them into Team Rocket! See how you like that!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The standalone episodes (131-135) are okay, and the Goat Island arc (136-138) isn't too horrid. Rainbow Mist though (139-143) is abysmal. It's like the Apis arc, but with waaay more annoying kids.

Yeah, pretty much this. Not to mention the plot of Rainbow Mist is profoundly stupid.

Oh and one other things about the difference in the two big beat downs, against Crocodile you knew that the battle was truly over and that the good guys had won. After the defeat of
Lucci
there was a big question of "how in the world are we
going to escape
"

Tenrius

While I agree that Rainbow Mist is pretty stupid, there's something going on and a little bit of mystery is involved too. Those separate episodes were too uneventful.

ffdgh

Oh and one other things about the difference in the two big beat downs, against Crocodile you knew that the battle was truly over and that the good guys had won. After the defeat of
Lucci
there was a big question of "how in the world are we
going to escape
"

Baa baa~.....tho seriously that's some insane luck XD

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Well after a few years break, I started watching One Piece again. This is the third time I've gone on a binge of OP episodes. I originally started with the horror of the 4Kids dub, it WAS bad, but I could see a great show underneath the awful dubbing, so I found KF and started watching. First time I watched all the way up to G-8, then stopped for a few years. I was feeling like the show wasn't gonna top Alibasta.

Then I watched Water 7/Enies Lobby a few years ago and was like O_O. daaaaamn.....
Then I stopped AGAIN right after
Ace battled Blackbeard

Well now I'm almost through with Thriller Bark, a very GIF worthy arc and a lot of fun.
ZOMG Nightmare Luffy!!! I'm up to the episode where Kuma is threatining to kill the crew

This show keeps on giving the goods.

Tenrius

Really painful watching
those small fries beating on Luffy and Zoro
in that bar in Jaya :/

I didn't really get that.
Okay, Luffy is doing it because Shanks did something very similar way back in the beginning of the series, but he and his crew certainly didn't get such a beatdown. Felt out of place for me.

Talents

Banned
So I want to start watching One Piece yet I feel it's one of those Anime's that takes a while to get good like Bleach. Is there any episode you could recommend I skip to?

Tenrius

So I want to start watching One Piece yet I feel it's one of those Anime's that takes a while to get good like Bleach. Is there any episode you could recommend I skip to?

Don't skip anything but filler arcs, and even most of those are watchable.

Meelow

Banned
Just watched Movie 2, had lots of funny moments, really like the design of Clockwork Island as well.

Also
First real glimpse of Chopper at the end of the movie, guess this means he will join the crew soon :D

Edit: Just watched Episode 62, funniest episode yet, the old man when someone asks him a question or something and the angle starts going everywhere had me bawling.

Some disagree, but I think One Piece starts off very strong. Either way, it would be crazy to skip episodes because the introduction of characters along with their backstory and future goals is essential to the whole show.

I just watched One Piece movie 8. The one that's just the alabasta arc. My god it was awful compared to the original. No real setup, everything is moving way to fast. The strawhats just happen to start fighting the main numbered baroque works members out of the blue. Luffy's fight with crocodile was totally rushed, among other things. It was actually painful to watch that arc get butchered. Before i saw this movie i really wanted Toei to do the CP9 arc in movie form, with everything being re-animated, i take it back. They need to leave the source material alone and just work on non-canon material for movies.

I know this probably isn't the right thread for it, but it's still One Piece! I imported Kaizoku Musou 2 for my Vita and it's so good, you guys. Aokiji is amazing.

BatDan

I know this probably isn't the right thread for it, but it's still One Piece! I imported Kaizoku Musou 2 for my Vita and it's so good, you guys. Aokiji is amazing.

Hurry up and release it state-side Namco, and it better be dubbed!

... Oh who am I kidding?

Raxus

Yes. Just skip all filler (with the exception of G8, maybe).

Agreed, G8 isn't necessary but it does a good job setting up a big focus for the next arc. Not necessary reading by any means but it is a fun watch and it is one of the few fillers that enhances the experience.

BatDan

Is there a new One Piece tonight? I don't see anything on the official site yet =[

It's up now. http://www.onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx?&v=8589

There probably won't be one next week since it's another Toriko crossover. Rather, a Toriko & Dragon Ball crossover. Even though Funimation owns the rights to all three... maybe?

Granted, Funimation owned the rights to Toriko when the other crossover episodes aired so it probably won't happen.

QocQGCF.jpg

One Piece 589: Worst of the World - The Scary Scientist Caesar!

One Piece 590 Preview: History's Strongest Collaboration vs. Glutton of the Sea

Next week they are having a collaboration between OP, Dragonball, and Toriko. So nothing for another 2 weeks.

SykoTech

Caesar's laugh is great. Too bad the anime's going on break again when things were just getting good.

Don't like this new intro. Also ruined one of the outcomes of the Alabasta arc(although that was kinda obvious).

That really annoyed me too. They kept the 2nd opening going so long. And then just a few episodes before Alabasta wraps up, they want to change it and spoil the twist. So dumb.

Soriku

Interesting episode. Nice to have a purely exposition episode every now and then.

Break again? Ugh :/ And change the damn opening already.

Top Bottom