• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Meelow

Banned
On episode 68.

Luffy and Zoro fighting was just wow worthy, Vivi is cool, her character changed a little in just a short amount of time, and I'm guessing she's joining the crew for a while until they return to Alabasta (unless something happens?), oh and when she said who Mr. Zero is when she said she wouldn't was just...Lol.

Also I wish I didn't see her appearance was before this episode but I'm guessing Mrs. Sunday? Is Robin?

Also I never thought I'd feel sorry for Helmeppo but I do, Morgon is worse than I thought, but glad
Coby is going to the Grand Line

Hey guys, first post in this thread. I'm an enormous One Piece fan -- I own all the books that have been released. I only read the manga and have never touched the anime, simply because I'm not really a fan of anime. The manga is simply of so much higher quality imo. It has come to my attention however that there are some arcs in the anime that aren't in the manga.

Is there any particular episodes or movies worth watching for those who have read all the manga? What are the movies about? Is it the same as the TV-show or do they have different arcs? Suggestions appreciated, and I'd also like it if someone could tell me where I can watch such suggestions (preferably with Jap VA and Eng subs).

Hey guys, first post in this thread. I'm an enormous One Piece fan -- I own all the books that have been released. I only read the manga and have never touched the anime, simply because I'm not really a fan of anime. The manga is simply of so much higher quality imo. It has come to my attention however that there are some arcs in the anime that aren't in the manga.

Is there any particular episodes or movies worth watching for those who have read all the manga? What are the movies about? Is it the same as the TV-show or do they have different arcs? Suggestions appreciated, and I'd also like it if someone could tell me where I can watch such suggestions (preferably with Jap VA and Eng subs).

Japanese subs, only films of note are the ones that are "canon" that Oda wrote aka Strong World and Film Z. The only filler arc worth watching is g8. The films as a whole tell original stories except for episode of chopper episode of alabasta, and episode of nami. Chopper is the only one of note because its a what if the straw hats got chopper after robin and brook joined

Acid08

Banned
The
Skypiea
arc is awesome so far. They just got to the island and met the
angel
? I can just tell there's going to be some wild ass shenanigans in this arc. God stuff and such.

Tenrius

The
Skypiea
angel
? I can just tell there's going to be some wild ass shenanigans in this arc. God stuff and such.

It starts off great, but some segments later on are spread out across way too many episodes in my opinion.

By the way, at this rate you're going to catch up with me very soon. I'm at episode 219 currently.

Japanese subs, only films of note are the ones that are "canon" that Oda wrote aka Strong World and Film Z. The only filler arc worth watching is g8. The films as a whole tell original stories except for episode of chopper episode of alabasta, and episode of nami. Chopper is the only one of note because its a what if the straw hats got chopper after robin and brook joined

Thanks for the reply! Not entirely sure what you mean with "Japanese subs" though. Why would I want Japanese subtitles? So anyway, is "G8" the name of a film as well? Do you know where can I find these films?

The
Skypiea
angel

It's been a while since I read that arc -- I'm planning to re-read it soon -- but I recall it being one of my least favourite arcs. Don't get me wrong, all arcs are great, but this just doesn't live up to the arcs you've experienced before it. There are some amazing things happening after that arc though. Honestly after that arc there's just plenty of awesomeness.

Tenrius

Thanks for the reply! Not entirely sure what you mean with "Japanese subs" though. Why would I want Japanese subtitles? So anyway, is "G8" the name of a film as well? Do you know where can I find these films?

It's been a while since I read that arc -- I'm planning to re-read it soon -- but I recall it being one of my least favourite arcs. Don't get me wrong, all arcs are great, but this just doesn't live up to the arcs you've experienced before it. There are some amazing things happening after that arc though. Honestly after that arc there's just plenty of awesomeness.

G-8 is not a film, it's a filler arc comprising anime episodes 196-206.

Acid08

Banned
I'm assuming that in this arc we'll see
Robin
fighting more. She hasn't done much yet, even in the Alabasta arc.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
It's up now. http://www.onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx?&v=8589

There probably won't be one next week since it's another Toriko crossover. Rather, a Toriko & Dragon Ball crossover. Even though Funimation owns the rights to all three... maybe?

Granted, Funimation owned the rights to Toriko when the other crossover episodes aired so it probably won't happen.

Funimation's simulcast schedule has episode 590 (the crossover) listed, but its for the week after so most likely they actually meant 591. So yeah, we're probably not getting it.

grandjedi6

So he never really leaves that horrible ladies man mode? It's pretty annoying by now.

Sanji is the cool collected hero who appears at the last moment chewy insides, covered in the chocolate "infatuated with ladies" joke character outside. He's both the hero and the hero facade at the same time. Like all the strawhats, its part of his dual persona thing.

So yeah, he never changes. Though his ladies man aspects later become the butt monkey of the series's jokes so you're either gonna find that even more annoying or strangely gratifying.

I hope you don't mean Ocean's Dream filler arc because I'm not gonna watch it! But yeah, I think I know what arc you're talking about and I heard lots of good things about it from various people.

Of course I meant Ocean's Dream arc =P /sarcasm. But yeah the arc after it. Watched something like 20 episodes per day during that arc as I just couldn't stop watching. My addiction scared me little bit! lol

Tenrius

Sanji is the cool collected hero who appears at the last moment chewy insides, covered in the chocolate "infatuated with ladies" joke character outside. He's both the hero and the hero facade at the same time. Like all the strawhats, its part of his dual persona thing.

So yeah, he never changes. Though his ladies man aspects later become the butt monkey of the series's jokes so you're either gonna find that even more annoying or strangely gratifying.

So what's everyone else's dual persona? Luffy, I guess, is usually clueless and happy-go-lucky, but at the same time he has a lot of conviction and he also cares a great deal about his nakama.

Also, you can say bad things about Foxy, but his Japanese VA is hilarious. I like the way he says "noronorobeaaaam", it's like a parody to every "gomu gomu no" etc in the series. Overall it's a funny little arc, nice distraction from Skypiea and its seriousness/epicness.

Korosenai

Hahaha Trafalgar's name spelled backwards is raglafart
0436_nwua9.gif

So, there's something really cool(and very annoying) about a certain character's playstyle in Kaizoku Musou 2. When playing as
Sanji
, it won't allow you to
hit the female characters

A cool feature, but can get pretty irritating when in the heat of battle.

i know wrong thread etc etc but there's no dedicated KM2 thread yet ;_;

Herp a derp lol yeah English sub Japanese dub

Acid08

Banned
I'm getting what some of you said about the
Skypiea
arc dragging. This battle against the
ball priest
is taking forever.

grandjedi6

So what's everyone else's dual persona? Luffy, I guess, is usually clueless and happy-go-lucky, but at the same time he has a lot of conviction and he also cares a great deal about his nakama.

Also, you can say bad things about Foxy, but his Japanese VA is hilarious. I like the way he says "noronorobeaaaam", it's like a parody to every "gomu gomu no" etc in the series. Overall it's a funny little arc, nice distraction from Skypiea and its seriousness/epicness.

I've always felt that the 13th ending portrays it very well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dkxnLsvOyI

Luffy is the happy go lucky meat loving fool who will fall for even the simplest traps, but is also the serious fighter willing to defeat anyone to save his crew and can instinctively see the heart of a problem.

Zoro is the serious badass swordsman, but is also the persistently lost fool who is easily worked up and distracted by things he finds annoying.

Nami is the navigator who leads the crew through the oceans and will willingly sacrifice herself to save her comrades, but who is also the cowardly flirt willing to sell out her friends for a beli or two.

Usopp is the cowardly liar who lacks confidence and hides behind those stronger than him, but is also a master sniper who is fiercely loyal and will bravely fight to the death.

Sanji is the womanizing self-proclaimed hero who is easily distracted by feminine wiles, but is also a strategist who is smart enough to know what needs to be done and more than willing to stay out of the limelight in order to accomplish actual heroic tasks.

Robin is a serious super-competent support unit who loves archeology and little else, but who also
is actually still the same, only she actually does deeply care for her friends and is outrageously morbid

Franky is the rough gangster ship builder who is also SUUUUUPPPPPEEEEERRRRR

Brook is the perverted crazy old man, but is also a deeply honor-bound swordsman.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
with franky i always took it that he was this very intelligent pirate/engineer but he has the tendency to act immature when showing off

Jigolo

Acid, I assume you already watched
Luffy punch Bellamy

Fucking. Sick.

Do I know how to throw a punch?

Acid08

Banned
Acid, I assume you already watched
Luffy punch Bellamy

Fucking. Sick.

Do I know how to throw a punch?
Yeah that was super satisfying. Actually did a little fist pump :p

I'm hoping I learn more about
Robin
soon. She's just kind of...there right now. Don't know anything about her motivations and haven't seen her really fight yet even.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Robin
soon. She's just kind of...there right now. Don't know anything about her motivations and haven't seen her really fight yet even.

Oh man, you are not ready for that flashback. No one is ever ready.

Acid08

Banned
Got to the fourth opening! I like the song. The third had to grow on me but eventually I loved it. Second is still my favorite.

Robin

Oh just you wait it's gonna rock your world

G-8 is not a film, it's a filler arc comprising anime episodes 196-206.

Ah, okay.

Sanji's a weird character. He has moments of greatness and moments of... annoyance. Overall he's good but Oda loves to overuse jokes with him.

Annoyance? Sanji? Never heard anyone call him annoying before. Maybe he's more annoying in the anime than in the manga.

lBrook is the perverted crazy old man, but is also a deeply honor-bound swordsman.

He isn't a swordsman though. He's a fencer.

Last time I checked, a rapier was a kind of sword.

Rapier? Since when does Brook use a rapier? He uses a shikomizue, which for the record is also a sword, yes, but nonetheless since he fights like a fencer he should be classified and is in fact classified as one. Everyone wear clothes but that doesn't make them all tailors, and they all eat food but that doesn't make the chefs. Swordsmen and fencers use vastly different techniques.

Wiseblade

Rapier? Since when does Brook use a rapier? He uses a shikomizue, which for the record is also a sword, yes, but nonetheless since he fights like a fencer he should be classified and is in fact classified as one. Everyone wear clothes but that doesn't make them all tailors, and they all eat food but that doesn't make the chefs. Swordsmen and fencers use vastly different techniques.

Fencing is a subcategory of swordsmanship. I'm not saying that Brook is a blacksmith, just a swordsman.

Fencing is a subcategory of swordsmanship. I'm not saying that Brook is a blacksmith, just a swordsman.

Hmm, fair enough, but I still think calling him a fencer would be more of a correct term. I suppose you could call him a swordsman too, although that feels way more generalized.

Cwarrior

By the way, I thought that Shandians, Wiper's friends in particular, were very reminiscent of Jet Set Radio characters. The overall look, the way they move around - all very similar. I was half-expecting them to start drawing graffiti, actually!

Yeah the jet set radio heaven vibe was really cool.

Kamakiri_figo.gif

Braham.thumb.gif

Berretti_Bianchi_all_attacco.gif

Braham_spara.gif

Laki_viaggia.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Skypiea starts off kind of fun, then it gets really draggy and bloated in the middle, then it becomes EPIC AS FUCK toward the end. A lot of really fun moments, but one of the weaker major sagas as a whole.

Tenrius

Skypiea starts off kind of fun, then it gets really draggy and bloated in the middle, then it becomes EPIC AS FUCK toward the end. A lot of really fun moments, but one of the weaker major sagas as a whole.

And after that it manages to drag for a little bit more!

Top Bottom