• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Acid08

Banned
Things really start heating up in Skypiea? Let's take three episodes for a flashback. Do I really have to watch these ._.

Anth0ny

My order:

1. We Are!
2. Hikari e
3. Kokoro no Chizu
4. Believe
5. Brand New World
6. Share the World
7. Bon Voyage
8. One Day
9. We Go
10. Crazy Rainbow
11. Jungle P
12. Fight Together
13. We Are (Remix)
14. Kaze o Sagashit

upandaway

Things really start heating up in Skypiea? Let's take three episodes for a flashback. Do I really have to watch these ._.
I felt a little bit of a sting here, but you corrected yourself later so it's cool.

OP flashbacks are almost always amazing but the Skypiea one is one of the best.

Drago

Daaaaaaamn!

Lightning isn't even effective toward a Rubber Man! There still like 10 episodes left though. This isn't even Eneru's final form.

I had a massive grin on my face when this happened.

I then felt like an idiot after for not seeing it coming. :p

Ifrit

Awesome too see some newcomers, it never gets old seeing people get addicted to OP, keep posting those impressions.

Btw, Acid you're pretty close to arguably the best arc/arcs in the series (which also come with the best openings), prepare yourself to feel the feels

Jigolo

Awesome too see some newcomers, it never gets old seeing people get addicted to OP, keep posting those impressions.

Btw, Acid you're pretty close to arguably the best arc/arcs in the series (which also come with the best openings), prepare yourself to feel the feels

Yup once you finish Skypiea, get ready for the big boy stuff. The best arc is next.

Tenrius

So I'm a few episodes into Water 7. It really is quite exciting!

Impressions (quite a few):

That sea train is awesome! I really like trains in general and a train running on the sea surface between several islands is such a cool idea. Love it in Spirited Away. Wonder if we'll see more of the weird station lady, her weird granddaughter and their not-so-weird cat.

The city itself looks cool. I like the numbers on those huge gates, but I'm still unsure what they are supposed to mean. The city also kinda reminds me of City Escape levels from 3D Sonic.

Gosh, I love how Oda does "facial expressions" of animals. Those sea horses (forgot how they are called) grin like there's no tomorrow and that's hilarious.

What's up with all those masks? And why are all the men act like Sanji? I suppose it could be due to that that most of the women perhaps wear those masks, but I'm still unsure.

What, where did Robin suddenly disappear? She got scared after a masked guy said "CP9". Did she run off or did he take her away somehow? And I guess those badass shipwrights are somehow connected with the CP9. The guy with a deadly serious bird on his shoulder is named Lucci, who you guys often refer to. And there's some goons attacking Zoro on the Merry, but he'll probably deal with them.

So much happening and so much new stuff!

Treb

Hi guys I just started watching One Piece myself about a week ago and I'm currently at or perhaps leaving (?) the Water 7 Arc (Episode 255). My face is constantly like this :O throughout the arc so far. It's like things are about to get really serious and epic.

Tenrius

Hi guys I just started watching One Piece myself about a week ago and I'm currently at or perhaps leaving (?) the Water 7 Arc (Episode 255). My face is constantly like this :O throughout the arc so far. It's like things are about to get really serious and epic.

Good lord, are you feeling alright? I've started exactly a year ago and I've hit Water 7 only just now.

Acid08

Banned
Skypiea:

Well, that was pretty good. I'd give it a 6.5 or 7/10. Pretty inconsistent and a little boring at times but pretty fucking grand too. Eneru was a good villain even if he was
seriously out matched by Luffy. Seriously, if he wasn't such a chump he would have lost BAD in a straight up fight with Luffy
. I wasn't crazy about any of the side characters too. Not well realized, some just straight up annoying. Flashback was really the best part.

You should watch the G8 arc and i think the Davy Back arc is fun. Both enjoyable fillers. I really love chiqicheetah and splithead laugh. Funny enough, i didn't start watching One Piece until i saw the 6th Opening "Brand New World" as well as the 10th OP "We Are". Something about those openings just made me want to watch the series and see how the strawhats get to those points in the openings i saw. I left off with the 4kids dub and yeah, we all know how that went.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Yep! Though I wouldn't call it a piece of shit lol

That said, I wouldn't get your hopes up for a new opening before April 14th.

g3i1hTU.gif

Treb

You should watch the G8 arc and i think the Davy Back arc is fun. Both enjoyable fillers. I really love chiqicheetah and splithead laugh. Funny enough, i didn't start watching One Piece until i saw the 6th Opening "Brand New World" as well as the 10th OP "We Are". Something about those openings just made me want to watch the series and see how the strawhats get to those points in the openings i saw. I left off with the 4kids dub and yeah, we all know how that went.

Yeah I did watched the Davy Back arc. It was a pretty fun arc filled with lots of silliness. Foxy is quite the character, haha. I may go back and watch the G8 filler since I remember a lot of people saying its the only filler arc worth watching.

CrazyDude

Yeah I did watched the Davy Back arc. It was a pretty fun arc filled with lots of silliness. Foxy is quite the character, haha. I may go back and watch the G8 filler since I remember a lot of people saying its the only filler arc worth watching.

Every time I see Foxy all I can think about is this:

count-chocula-box-old1.jpg

Yeah, Water Seven is nice but I'm not sure if I personally would call it the best arc. Alabasta is really good too, as is the Drum Kingdom, Thriller Bark and the great battle that takes place after Impel Down.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So my partner and I took quite a large hiatus on One Piece. She didn't seem to enjoy Luffy's lengthy flashback sequence of events in the late 400s-early 500s. Quite frankly I don't blame her, but I wanted to power through them because I somewhat knew what lay ahead after the craziness that was Marineford.

I said fuck it, so we sat down and watched the last few eps that dealt with Gray Terminal and all. Now we're on to something more substantial after those flashbacks, and Luffy's re-entry in to Marineford.

I'm looking forward to the next 10 episodes or so. It's good to have One Piece back in my life though.

P.S. I got drunk a few weeks ago and re-watched episode 312 while intoxicated. And I cried. Again.

Man, the last few chapters have been flat out amazing. I'm guessing it's because oda no longer had to help make the movie.

I seriously hope he never plays a part in any future movie while the manga is still ongoing. When he did Strong World, we got 15 page chapters. When he did Z, we got crap chapters.

BHK3

Banned
Man, the last few chapters have been flat out amazing. I'm guessing it's because oda no longer had to help make the movie.

I seriously hope he never plays a part in any future movie while the manga is still ongoing. When he did Strong World, we got 15 page chapters. When he did Z, we got crap chapters.

what chapters were crap?

Raxus

what chapters were crap?

Fishman Island and the Fire and Ice Island. Keep in mind they weren't terrible terrible just paced like molasses and a complete mess respectively. The newest chapters are refreshing because now we have so much set up out of the way we can blast through some quality stuff.

ffdgh

Skypiea:

Well, that was pretty good. I'd give it a 6.5 or 7/10. Pretty inconsistent and a little boring at times but pretty fucking grand too. Eneru was a good villain even if he was
seriously out matched by Luffy. Seriously, if he wasn't such a chump he would have lost BAD in a straight up fight with Luffy
. I wasn't crazy about any of the side characters too. Not well realized, some just straight up annoying. Flashback was really the best part.

Huzzah the nightmare is over. I'd say the best/least annoying characters of skypeia were Connis(forgot the spelling) her dad and their fox.

BHK3

Banned
Late-FI & PH for me.

Fishman Island and the Fire and Ice Island. Keep in mind they weren't terrible terrible just paced like molasses and a complete mess respectively. The newest chapters are refreshing because now we have so much set up out of the way we can blast through some quality stuff.

Fishmen island was junk to me personally, PH was fine. Hody just wasn't much of a villain and it's past was more interesting but also more stupid(lol BLOOD TRANFUSIONS ARE IMPORTANT GUYS).

Man, am I glad they are changing the opening soon. We Go! has been around for far too long.

Might as well rank my openings here:

1. Fight Together
2. Bon Voyage
3. Brand New World
4. We Are! (Strawhat version)
5. We Are!
6. Share the World!
7. Kokoro no Chizu
8. Hikari e
9. We Are! (Remix)
10. Jungle P
11. Believe
12. Kaze wo Sagashite
13. One Day
14. We Go!
15. Crazy Rainbow

I liked all the openings ranked #13 or lower, so hearing We Go for all this time really irritated me.

Oh, might as well say that "Asu wa Kuru Kara" is my favorite ending, too. I miss One Piece endings... they were all so good! (Except "Watashi ga Iru Yo"... ew)

EDIT: I hope that this new opening (which is apparently going to be called
"Hands up"
) absolutely trumps "We Go!".

Hmm, how far behind am I? I own all the books that have been released in Sweden, but not sure how far behind the Swedish books are. I'm near the end of Fishman Island. The cover of the next book has Smoker on it.

Personally I think Fishmans Island is pretty good. The villain is a bit over-the-top and the theme of blood transfusions is way overused but I really like the queen. The flashbacks with her are really good. It's the first time since Brook's story that I shed a man-tear.

Hmm, how far behind am I? I own all the books that have been released in Sweden, but not sure how far behind the Swedish books are. I'm near the end of Fishman Island. The cover of the next book has Smoker on it.

Personally I think Fishmans Island is pretty good. The villain is a bit over-the-top and the theme of blood transfusions is way overused but I really like the queen. The flashbacks with her are really good. It's the first time since Brook's story that I shed a man-tear.

Japan's at v69 with fourteen unpublished chapters. The english version's at v66.

Jigolo

Yeah, Water Seven is nice but I'm not sure if I personally would call it the best arc. Alabasta is really good too, as is the Drum Kingdom, Thriller Bark and the great battle that takes place after Impel Down.

Not so much water 7 but water 7/Enies lobby is my favorite. To me they are 1 arc because the characters don't change. Villain doesn't change.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Is there something about the April 14th episode or that date in general? How'd you nail that? It seems kind of random.

It was announced in Jump.
In Japan, One Piece airs on Sunday mornings, here in the states we get it Saturday evenings.
It's coming the 14th as that's the next actual episode. This weekend is the One Piece X Toriko X Dragon Ball special.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Is there something about the April 14th episode or that date in general? How'd you nail that? It seems kind of random.

Its the week after the dragon ball-One Piece-Toriko crossover episode. They did they same thing 2 years ago when Fight Together first premiered. Plus, I've been saying that the opening would begin in April since October, so I always had at least a 25% chance of being right with an exact date :p

Top Bottom