• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Diablos54

Wait what. That doesn't really make sense. He definitely couldn't save his arm back there.

I'd accept "it's stupid, but he couldn't save his arm" as an argument more than "he could but he didn't." Even if it's not stupid.
He had haki, of course he could have saved his arm. He did it to inspire Luffy, that's the only explanation that makes sense considering what Shanks said to Mihawk.

One thing I'm really liking is that even though Luffy's Gum Gum powers seem pretty basic they keep beating all these guys with really wild and crazy powers. Makes me wonder if there's something more to those powers or if Luffy is actually just that great.
I really can't wait for you to get further on, stop posting, keep watching!

Acid08

Banned
I wish I could be where you are now with one clue about what's about to happen. It just gets better and better from here on out!
I've been watching on Hulu but the episodes on there end in the late 200's and pick up again in the 400's. Going to need to find some other way to watch.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I'm really liking is that even though Luffy's Gum Gum powers seem pretty basic they keep beating all these guys with really wild and crazy powers. Makes me wonder if there's something more to those powers or if Luffy is actually just that great.
Luffy's just very creative with his fruit's ability. It's something he learned from, of all people, Crocodile, who lectured him on how Devil Fruit users need to master all the applications of their powers in order to survive the Grand Line.

It's also kind of subtle sometimes (though there are a couple of occasions where it's really overt), but Luffy also tries to mimic the abilities of those he's encountered before to the best of his ability. Good early series examples are Luffy biting Arlong and Luffy using Gomu Gomu no Baku Baku against Crocodile (the latter being an emulation of Wapol's Baku Baku Fruit). Because of this natural tendency of his, he is always getting stronger and diversifying his arsenal. You get a lot more of this sort of thing coming up over the next several arcs, and the instances coming up are all very creative applications of his ability.

Raxus

Luffy's just very creative with his fruit's ability. It's something he learned from, of all people, Crocodile, who lectured him on how Devil Fruit users need to master all the applications of their powers in order to survive the Grand Line.

It's also kind of subtle sometimes (though there are a couple of occasions where it's really overt), but Luffy also tries to mimic the abilities of those he's encountered before to the best of his ability. Good early series examples are Luffy biting Arlong and Luffy using Gomu Gomu no Baku Baku against Crocodile (the latter being an emulation of Wapol's Baku Baku Fruit). Because of this natural tendency of his, he is always getting stronger and diversifying his arsenal. You get a lot more of this sort of thing coming up over the next several arcs, and the instances coming up are all very creative applications of his ability.

In short, you'll be surprised the capabilities rubber has. So far there is only one power Luffy has that kind of bugs me. Ironically, it is probably my favorite techniques as well.

Well, he did some conqueror's Haki at the end, but what if he did it by "accident" like Luffy did before he was actually trained in using Haki?

Also, I understood the situation like this:
There was no time to do anything but to grab Luffy. If he knew how to use Haki, he probably even saw what will happen to his arm, but that's why he gambled to save Luffy. (During Marineford, Luffy had such a premonition and didn't extend his arms or they would been cut off. But in Shank's case that would have meant Luffy dies.)

Usually in this show, someone would have just slapped the monster away in the last minute, sure. But I refuse to believe he lost his arm on purpose just to make a point.

ffdgh

In hindsight,
stretching his arms towards the world greatest swordsmen wasn't exactly the greatest idea going by basic common sense even for luffy lol.

587 - 588
tumblr_mjv21vPhpv1r7xd5jo5_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mjv21vPhpv1r7xd5jo7_500.gif

Still behind I guess. Traffy is epic and the whole fight taking up nearly the entire episode was really good. The animators seemed like they were inspired by Naruto at that part with the wood style ninjutsu hybrid substitution jutsu. I liked it.

I dont like how they did the body swap. Or rather they should have gone the whole way. By keeping the character's original voices in their new bodies it kind of loses the effect. Especially considering that the characters in the anime are still hearing the actual voice of the body. (if Nami is in Sanji's body, then she should sound like Sanji). The bubbles showing the body inhabiting the body was a good touch and I hope they keep doing that.

Meelow

Banned
Watched Movie 3, it's nice to see Chopper getting his time to shine before Robin joins the crew, knew from a mile away Butler was the one who did it to Mobambi's father.

Was confused were this takes place though, if it's after episode 102 but before they get Robin to join the crew than wouldn't they be on Alabasta and have Vivi still in the crew?

As for episode 103, I am shocked by Kohza and how much he changed it seems.

Watched Movie 3, it's nice to see Chopper getting his time to shine before Robin joins the crew, knew from a mile away Butler was the one who did it to Mobambi's father.

Was confused were this takes place though, if it's after episode 102 but before they get Robin to join the crew than wouldn't they be on Alabasta and have Vivi still in the crew?

As for episode 103, I am shocked by Kohza and how much he changed it seems.

Anime films generally don't fit into any sort of timeline and are more "what if" scenarios.

Yeah it's considered to be non-canon for that reason, not even anime-canon.

edit: most of the other movies at least don't contradict the series so they can still be placed in the timeline.

That's true, I know movie 10? Does connect to the main story.

Strong World and Film Z were written by Oda and the characters introduced are canon to the One Piece world. Also the events (at least of Strong World haven't seen film Z) fit into the timeline of either the anime or manga. I like to clump them into the same category I clump something like Bardock Father of Goku, extended canon IE events that didn't happen in the manga but the author has given his or her blessing to and said events don't contradict anything in the canon.

Wiseblade

Strong World and Film Z were written by Oda and the characters introduced are canon to the One Piece world. Also the events (at least of Strong World haven't seen film Z) fit into the timeline of either the anime or manga. I like to clump them into the same category I clump something like Bardock Father of Goku, extended canon IE events that didn't happen in the manga but the author has given his or her blessing to and said events don't contradict anything in the canon.

Oda deliberately left space to Strong World to happen in the manga and Sengoku refers to Shiki by name during Impel Down. I'd safely call the events of the movie canonical. It's not like anything contradictory happens in it.

KtSlime

Having watched Film Z, I can confirm it fits in the New World Saga, and to the best of my knowledge does not contradict any established canon nor the timeline (with the anime anyway, I don't read the manga).

For anybody here who has just seen the current chapter of the One Piece manga. What do you think about
Doflamingo taking Ace's fruit, and one of Blackbeard's henchmen who just appeared?
The manga just keeps getting interesting and this kinda makes me think that either Sanji or Luffy
will eat Ace's fruit.

Also I'm pretty hyped for that new opening that's going to be shown next week. I hope it has a rock flow for it kinda like One Piece's Share the World and We Are (Remix Version). I'd also accept Fight Together's slow subtle song.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
For anybody here who has just seen the current chapter of the One Piece manga. What do you think about
Doflamingo taking Ace's fruit, and one of Blackbeard's henchmen who just appeared?
The manga just keeps getting interesting and this kinda makes me think that either Sanji or Luffy
will eat Ace's fruit.

Also I'm pretty hyped for that new opening that's going to be shown next week. I hope it has a rock flow for it kinda like One Piece's Share the World and We Are (Remix Version). I'd also accept Fight Together's slow subtle song.

well the way I see it...

I am kind of hoping that female knight/gladiator gets it and joins the crew. Jambei and Law while possibilities to join seem remote and it would be cool for somebody new to join the cast. Adding a devil fruit to an established character doesn't feel like it would be cool. On the flip if Luffy is somehow able to handle a second fruit power that would be cool

As for blackbeards henchman it makes sense he would be there. There has been conversation about them seeking out fruits for themselves

Verelios

well the way I see it...

I am kind of hoping that female knight/gladiator gets it and joins the crew. Jambei and Law while possibilities to join seem remote and it would be cool for somebody new to join the cast. Adding a devil fruit to an established character doesn't feel like it would be cool. On the flip if Luffy is somehow able to handle a second fruit power that would be cool

As for blackbeards henchman it makes sense he would be there. There has been conversation about them seeking out fruits for themselves

That's the way I see it too. Not that there's anything wrong with it of course.

I was just hoping that maybe it would be some crazy twist with
the fruit not actually having been found. Or someone's already eaten it.

Jigolo

The fruit
coud be made in a lab as well, like Momonosuke's.

In the end I hope they do get the fruit and give it to someone in the crew. I also hope that chick will be the 10th member

well the way I see it...

I remember someone posted a picture of that gladiator chick and how she looks exactly like the girl from Romance Dawn (forgot name). Even though I hardly believe it could be her it would be cool if it was. Either way I've been thinking that the Strawhats needed another female member in the group, especially one with devil fruit powers, and a logia would be awesome since they don't have one.

That's the way I see it too. Not that there's anything wrong with it of course.

I was just hoping that maybe it would be some crazy twist with
the fruit not actually having been found. Or someone's already eaten it.

Wow that would be a HUGE twist. If that was true I'm guessing Luffy would want to beat the mess out of Doflamingo for lying about his brother's fruit. Actually that would be a good reason for Luffy to want to stop Doflamingo in the first place.

789shadow

Banned
I highly doubt Rebecca becomes a Straw Hat. There's only two spots left, one of which is taken up by Jinbei, and the other is probably Sabo.

smurfx

get some go again
hey acid did it bother you when nami's VA changed during little garden? i know it bothered the hell out of me when it happened. it especially bothered me when choppers changed for a while during water 7.

Acid08

Banned
hey acid did it bother you when nami's VA changed during little garden? i know it bothered the hell out of me when it happened. it especially bothered me when choppers changed for a while during water 7.
Didn't even notice to be honest.

CrazyDude

They changed voice actors? I didn't even notice.

Tenrius

I didn't notice anything as well.

smurfx

get some go again
They changed? They had some good backups because I didn't notice.
now that i remember i didn't notice the first time i watched but i did notice the 2nd time i watched the anime. choppers VA i did notice right away. the one i never noticed was smokers VA until the news spread of the original VA's death.

BHK3

Banned

Only voice actor change that bothered me was
Ivankovs in Impel Down. Him and Jimbe were both voiced by the same guy right? Or was it something like Ivankovs VA got in trouble with the law and Jimbes VA died?

smurfx

get some go again
Only voice actor change that bothered me was
Ivankovs in Impel Down. Him and Jimbe were both voiced by the same guy right? Or was it something like Ivankovs VA got in trouble with the law and Jimbes VA died?
ivankov's got in trouble because of some pictures and jimbei's died. mihawks original VA died as well. ;_;

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
will eat Ace's fruit.

Don't forget about
Bellamy showing up! Guess he didn't die after all.

will eat Ace's fruit.

I don't know about Luffy eating Ace's fruit, but Sanji would be a great candidate to eat it.

Drago

Bellamy showing up! Guess he didn't die after all.

I stopped watching One Piece before the time skip to give myself a break and probably shouldn't have read this spoiler but... SERIOUSLY?!?!

It's official, NO ONE dies in One Piece. EVER

Top Bottom