• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I can't wait for you to see the villains revealed. There were so many :O moments in Water7 and the continuation.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't like the vibe right now. It's like the entire show just got soured by what happened :(

I know what you mean, it's a really great arc but it's hard to watch/read at the point you are at. Just plow through because that payoff is SO worth it.

Just finished the OVA 1, it's amazing how much Nami has changed, forgot she used to love treasure like no other (made sense since she was trying to save her island), now she hardly talks about it.

Anyway's, it was a nice filler, wished though I watched it before they got to Usopp's island lol.

Edit: Looked up OVA 2, it's just a overview about what happens during the seasons.

If I'm correct and that's the OVA with Luffy having a different VA then I didn't see it. I did see the final battle from it though which I liked the animation and for some reason loved his voice in it. Actually I looked it up and his VA in the OVA does Charlotte from Rugrats (go figure). I just liked the way he sounded more like a guy, though I don't know... I just liked the voice lol.

ffdgh

Should be better for him, Acid can watch EL without being angry that each episode lasts 10 minutes

And then....those random trips down memory lane out of nowhere...

I swear I would have went insane if i had to wait weeks for the story to progress in the anime.

It wasn't so bad for me. I got into the manga in '03 when Viz started up, then switched to the anime after a few months because of VIz's absurd delays between volumes back then. Went back to the manga at about rocketboy because I wanted to know WHATHAPPENSNEXT.

But back then the anime was legitimately worth watching, before Kônosuke Uda left and we started getting filler within canon episodes as well as between arcs

Kokonoe

Banned
I guess I'm going to name some complaints I currently have with One Piece at the moment.

In the fight of Blackbeard VS Ace, Ace had two opportunities to kill Blackbeard easily when he was on the ground burning to a crisp.

Magellan just shrugs off the guy who beat Ace, merely walking by calmly, does his attack, and Blackbeard was going to die if he wasn't rescued.

These things really just don't add up, and they're kinda nerve wracking to think about with the importance of
Ace's death.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I guess I'm going to name some complaints I currently have with One Piece at the moment.

In the fight of Blackbeard VS Ace, Ace had two opportunities to kill Blackbeard easily when he was on the ground burning to a crisp.

Magellan just shrugs off the guy who beat Ace, merely walking by calmly, does his attack, and Blackbeard was going to die if he wasn't rescued.

These things really just don't add up, and they're kinda nerve wracking to think about with the importance of
Ace's death.

I don't really think we need to spoiler-mark things that have already happened in the anime, do we? I guess it ruins it for the guys in here watching from the start, but where do we draw that line?

Anyway, I will spoil FOR NOW.

He may have just wanted a more "proper fight," really, and killing his foe while he's writhing helpless on the ground isn't particularly sporting. Alternatively, it's possible that none of Ace's fire was actually damaging Blackbeard at all, due to his ability to negate devil fruits. He was just feeling all the pain, since that's his ability's downside.

Again: it's CONCEIVABLE that the poison wouldn't have affected him, due to his darkness ability. But they may have also let themselves get poisoned to appear non-threatening to Magellan, since Shiryu had an antidote for it already.

Jigolo

Finally got around to watching a few episodes. Got up to 86 earlier today. That reindeer's backstory was quite sad.
Yup IMO Choppers history was the saddest.

Ace's death.

I *think* Ace's job was to bring back BB alive to WB. I could be wrong.

As for the fight with Magellan, BB pirates really had no clue what they were up against. In a fair fight BB would take Magellan no question.

Just watched the new episode and it's pretty awesome to see them all together. Minus Toriko, I don't even know who that is.

It pains me to say this but everyone from Goku's crew would destroy the Straw hats, even down to Goten and Trunks. Can't say about Toriko since I've never watched the show before.

Ace's death.

Teach is an idiot who believes in destiny.

Magellan is strong and Teach obviously didn't know his fruit power and was overconfident the first time round. If Luffy hadn't invaded ID, Teach'd be dead.

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't really think we need to spoiler-mark things that have already happened in the anime, do we? I guess it ruins it for the guys in here watching from the start, but where do we draw that line?

Anyway, I will spoil FOR NOW.

He may have just wanted a more "proper fight," really, and killing his foe while he's writhing helpless on the ground isn't particularly sporting. Alternatively, it's possible that none of Ace's fire was actually damaging Blackbeard at all, due to his ability to negate devil fruits. He was just feeling all the pain, since that's his ability's downside.

Again: it's CONCEIVABLE that the poison wouldn't have affected him, due to his darkness ability. But they may have also let themselves get poisoned to appear non-threatening to Magellan, since Shiryu had an antidote for it already.

Well, finding out a few things did kind of ruin the current arc I'm watching now in one way since I know what's going to happen, but there isn't any rules in the OP other than manga spoilers. Regardless, I'm not really sure either.

I'm not so sure, I mean the guy killed one of his comrade and betrayed his crew, it seemed like all he wanted was him to die. Just seems like PIS to me.

I also doubt that to be the case as they were pretty shocked while also being relieved, and Shiryu notes that they would have died if he didn't bring the antidote, as if they didn't know that was going to happen.

Teach is an idiot who believes in destiny.

Magellan is strong and Teach obviously didn't know his fruit power and was overconfident the first time round. If Luffy hadn't invaded ID, Teach'd be dead.

Yeah, that does indeed seem to be the case, my only complaint about it is he beat Fire Fist Ace.

upandaway

Nami (I was gone way before the arm stabs, at the gunshot), Chopper, Robin and Brook were all insane to me. I would have felt it in Franky's flashback too if I wasn't busy being angry. Basically any flashback from Nami onwards was a trip.

Wiseblade

Nami (I was gone way before the arm stabs, at the gunshot), Chopper, Robin and Brook were all insane to me. I would have felt it in Franky's flashback too if I wasn't busy being angry. Basically any flashback from Nami onwards was a trip.

Funny, because I get like zero feels from Chopper's flashback. Sanji's either. Usopp's "I I had a loving mother and my dad is famous, woe is me" cuts me deeper than Sanji's "I was hungry once" or Chopper's "I killed the first person who ever accepted me" angst.

Nami's hits hard because you realise she's still in it. For everyone else, they're at least somewhat removed from their backstory. But when you meet Nami, Arlong is still around. She still works for him. Coco village is still under his control. And he still casually mentions the fact that he killed her mother. Zoro didn't fall down some stairs, Sanji isn't still hungry, Usopp is relatively well adjusted, Chopper became a real doctor, Robin get tough, Franky's pretty settled and Brook... Well, Brook was still in a mess too, but he seemed happier about it.

upandaway

Funny, because I get like zero feels from Chopper's flashback. Sanji's either. Usopp's "I I had a loving mother and my dad is famous, woe is me" cuts me deeper than Sanji's "I was hungry once" or Chopper's "I killed the first person who ever accepted me" angst.

Nami's hits hard because you realise she's still in it. For everyone else, they're at least somewhat removed from their backstory. But when you meet Nami, Arlong is still around. She still works for him. Coco village is still under his control. And he still casually mentions the fact that he killed her mother. Zoro didn't fall down some stairs, Sanji isn't still hungry, Usopp is relatively well adjusted, Chopper became a real doctor, Robin get tough, Franky's pretty settled and Brook... Well, Brook was still in a mess too, but he seemed happier about it.
I'm still not sure exactly what happened to me with Chopper (so I won't bother trying to explain), but it definitely wasn't because of Chopper's medicine killing Hiluluk. That was one of the least depressing aspects of the whole thing. His speech was damn incredible by the way.

Anyway I get what you're saying, it's true, but I guess that aspect of it doesn't really lessen the impact for me. If I'm in a flashback, then I've pretty much gone back in time.

Ifrit

@Acid:

FzHCzjJ.jpg

FYC

Banned
Just starting back up finally, watched the episode where the crew left Drum Island(91). I'm excited for the upcoming arcs.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Know that we are all here for you Acid as you journey through the Water-7 arc and onwards. Because those feels, bro, they are going to get you. Even when you think the feels are over, theres always one last fucking feel-stab.

I love the manga and its lovely fast pace, but its the One Piece anime that makes my manly eyes leak fluids due to the directors occasional perfection through bastardly use of imagery, voice, and music. There are points, mang, that I rewatch and the feels are still fresh? How can they keep the feels so fresh...?

There's so many new people watching the series lately! What made most of you want to watch it now? Looming Toonami broadcast?

I'm not really new, I started like 5 or 6 years ago but just sort of stopped halfway through Thriller Bark. Dunno why I stopped or why I decided to pick it back up again a few days ago. Totally hooked on it again now though.

Acid08

Banned
It has been bothering me all day guys. Usopp
just fucking flipping out and leaving. Robin also said her goodbye in the last episode I watched. Shit got bad for everyone before but this feels totally hopeless. At least they had each other before :'(. I'm fully in the "fuck usopp" camp though, dude was a super baby about the whole thing and escalated it though. His redemption better be fucking sweet.

#teamluffy

Top Bottom