• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Another unfortunate thing was that Ending 14 (Future Voyage) was skipped entirely.

That's really odd. And it's such a nice song, too. It even has the distinction of being the first HD ending for the show. Why skip it?

That said, Eternal Pose is a great song, although it sort of spoils the costumes the characters would wear in Water 7 if it is first shown in the Davy Back arc.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That's really odd. And it's such a nice song, too. It even has the distinction of being the first HD ending for the show. Why skip it?

That said, Eternal Pose is a great song, although it sort of spoils the costumes the characters would wear in Water 7 if it is first shown in the Davy Back arc.

I've heard it's a rights issue, the duo Tackey & Tsubasa refused to let it play or something. I don't know all the details but sometimes a series can get screwed over by an actor or group refusing to let their work be heard.

Acid08

Banned
Wtf at
ship repairing fairies.

Franky's back story was pretty good and didn't last too long.

Living the whole "the government is evil" vibe this show has. Then again what else would you expect from a pirate show :p

401 -
WHY ARE THERE 3 KUMAS WHAT. Also Drake was fucking badass

Also, Yibis are annoying me with how they've Anglicised some words that I was used to, but are keeping the awkward-ass phrasing of a load of sentences that only really work in Japanese. Either go all the way or stick to what I'm used to damnit :C

Wiseblade

401 -

Also, Yibis are annoying me with how they've Anglicised some words that I was used to, but are keeping the awkward-ass phrasing of a load of sentences that only really work in Japanese. Either go all the way or stick to what I'm used to damnit :C

If they're translating "Shichibukai" into "Warlord", they're doing you a favour. Next, everyone just has to stop using "nakama" and the world instantly becomes a better place.

I always thought the English translation was really poor compared to other languages, especially in terms of names. The three vice-admirals (pre-timeskip) have really good names, but they didn't even try to translate them in the English version. They did translate the names in many other languages. They should also have translated Kuma.

Ifrit

401 -

Because fuck pirates, that's why.

Love this arc, shit just keep getting realer by the second... also dat ending.

BatDan

If they're translating "Shichibukai" into "Warlord", they're doing you a favour. Next, everyone just has to stop using "nakama" and the world instantly becomes a better place.

Thank you! That word is not magical, despite what K-F says. They were just lazy and didn't want to translate "Nami, ore wa nakama da" into something that made sense in English. Funi went with "You will always be my friend".

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

It's a shame the word "comrade" has such Red Menace connotations in the western world.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think if we decided to translate every japanese word, One Piece would end up sounding preeeeeeeeeeetty stupid.

"Oh no, it's Bear!"

"Oh no, it's Yellow Monkey!"

"Oh no, here come the Seven Military Seas!"

I mean it's gotta be how it sounds to actual Japanese speakers though, right? We can obfuscate this stuff behind some foreign sounding word that actually sounds like a name, but are they really just hearing a bunch of wacky crap?

I don't see anything wrong with not translating the names of the admirals and such. I mean, did Funimation ever change anyone's name in One Piece? If they hadn't why do it for the admirals?

I mean, "Nami" (ナミ) means "wave" in Japanese, but you don't see anyone translating that name. Or with Usopp, which is a pun on "uso" (うそ) which means "lie". His name wasn't changed, either.

Meelow

Banned
On episode 131.

The goodbye to Vivi was great and it ended well of her story, sad that she won't be joining the crew but it's understandable...But Pal :D

And I can already tell Robin will be one of my favorite characters of the strawhats.

BatDan

I don't see anything wrong with not translating the names of the admirals and such. I mean, did Funimation ever change anyone's name in One Piece? If they hadn't why do it for the admirals?

I mean, "Nami" (ナミ) means "wave" in Japanese, but you don't see anyone translating that name. Or with Usopp, which is a pun on "uso" (うそ) which means "lie". His name wasn't changed, either.

Funimation has retained all the names, including the Admirals. Viz on the other hand... come on special editions.

"Lysopp" is the type of name you'd see on a cheap HK bootleg, that or "Crook Bu".

Wiseblade

I think if we decided to translate every japanese word, One Piece would end up sounding preeeeeeeeeeetty stupid.

"Oh no, it's Bear!"

I mean it's gotta be how it sounds to actual Japanese speakers though, right? We can obfuscate this stuff behind some foreign sounding word that actually sounds like a name, but are they really just hearing a bunch of wacky crap?

The options aren't just "moonspeak" and "painfully literal". A good translation conveys the message of the original without throwing foreign words in your face. (or at least, as few foreign words as possible)

Meelow

Banned
Ok so I'm now watching episode 131.

What happened to Robin? Did she just disappear?

Edit: Nevermind...Maybe I should watch the full episode without questioning next time lol.

Jigolo

403-405 are some of my favorite episodes of OP, so good

On episode 131.

The goodbye to Vivi was great and it ended well of her story, sad that she won't be joining the crew but it's understandable...But Pal :D

And I can already tell Robin will be one of my favorite characters of the strawhats.

that Pell stuff was ridiculous

upandaway

Yeah I'm not sure names need to be localized. They're names, and their meaning is secondary and sometimes whimsical (also it feels really awkward with subtitles). Their only purpose is to be a unique referral. Titles like Shichibukai are a bit different though.

I'm not really sure yet if Aokiji/etc are titles or names because uh, they're titles, but everyone are using them like they're names (so localizing them would be just as awkward as with any other name).

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The options aren't just "moonspeak" and "painfully literal". A good translation conveys the message of the original without throwing foreign words in your face. (or at least, as few foreign words as possible)

For some things, though, moonspeak is okay. It's not like people can't handle a word with Japanese origins on principle. Like the Shichibukai, or the Shinsengumi in Kenshin, I think it's okay to call them that since they're each just one word in Japanese. If you have to change them to stuff like "Seven Warlords of the Sea," that conveys the MEANING (arguably) sure, but it sure isn't really a "name" any more. It's defining, rather than translating. You kinda lose something in the process there, gets really wordy, less say-ey.

I'm not in favor of nakama, but group names that are a single Japanese word that translate to a lot of English ones? More accepting.

Personally I've always thought it was really dumb to leave Shichibukai in Japanese just because I don't think it fits the setting of One Piece. I don't like "Seven Warlords" as an alternative either, though. I don't think it's quite as dumb as leaving Yonkou untranslated, at least.

Wiseblade

For some things, though, moonspeak is okay. It's not like people can't handle a word with Japanese origins on principle. Like the Shichibukai, or the Shinsengumi in Kenshin, I think it's okay to call them that since they're each just one word in Japanese. If you have to change them to stuff like "Seven Warlords of the Sea," that conveys the MEANING (arguably) sure, but it sure isn't really a "name" any more. It's defining, rather than translating. You kinda lose something in the process there, gets really wordy, less say-ey.

I'm not in favor of nakama, but group names that are a single Japanese word that translate to a lot of English ones? More accepting.

But then you still have to explain what a "shichibukai" is, and it's still an obviously foreign word that distracts for no reason.

Which one flows better:

"It's the Warlord: Dracule Mihawk!"
"The what?"
"The Seven Warlords are Privateers; pirates sanctioned by the World Government in exchange for a share of their plunder. Running into a Warlord typically means the end of your journey on the Grand Line."

Or:

It's the Shichibukai: Dracule Mihawk!"
"The what?"
"The Shichibukai are seven Privateers; pirates sanctioned by the World Government in exchange for a share of their plunder. Running into a Shichibukai typically means the end of your journey on the Grand Line."

I know which one I prefer.

Acid08

Banned
God damn Usopp get over it you fucking baby

Edit:
i post that and literally a minute later he's back with a mask and cape on

Edit 2: OMFG
SOGEKING INTRO
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

God damn Usopp get over it you fucking baby

Edit:
i post that and literally a minute later he's back with a mask and cape on

Edit 2: OMFG
SOGEKING INTRO
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yet another reason that Water 7/Enies Lobby stands head and sholders above any anime/manga arc ever.

"Oh no, it's Bear!"

Of course you wouldn't just make a stupid direct translation. What you write is just silly. I've read One Piece in a few languages and all except for the English version translates the name, and does so really well. I think Bartholomew Bear would sound great, for the record. The vice-admirals are called Yellowmonkey, Bluepheasant and Reddog. The translations sound great in many languages, but in English the translator would have to use his brain and think of how he could make a good translation of them, while keeping the puns. Obviously the translator wasn't intelligent enough -- or maybe he didn't even bother.

Of course not, don't be silly. Nami is an actual name. Pretty much every name in the world has a meaning. Yes, even our western names. Matthew is Hebrew an means "Gift of God". Joe (or Joseph) is also Hebrew and means "God will increase". John is also Hebrew and means "Graced by Yahweh". Philip is Greek for "fond of horses". Immanuel is Hebrew for "God is with us". You get the idea. Pretty much all names, both in west and the east, means something when translated. But you don't translate such names. Usopp is called Usoppu in the Japanese version, so his name was simplified a bit, as was a bunch of characters names. Translating Usopp's name would probably sound really weird, and that is indeed a difficult task.

Top Bottom