• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

I don't get the Foxy hate. I thought the entire arc was hilarious (including the filler games). After that Foxy isn't really that funny but that arc is almost pure comedy with great parts. It's a perfect time to show new people without starting at the beginning. It feels like One Piece 2.0

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I don't get the Foxy hate. I thought the entire arc was hilarious (including the filler games). After that Foxy isn't really that funny but that arc is almost pure comedy with great parts. It's a perfect time to show new people without starting at the beginning. It feels like One Piece 2.0

Me neither. I found Davy Back to be hilarious, especially once the afro comes out.

edit: Just watched 443
ZOMG Crocodile and MR 1 reunion!

Wiseblade

The anime arc outstays its welcome IMO. Also, I don't think it's a good introduction to the strawhats. most of the comedy/drama of the arc kind of assumes that you're familiar with the cast to begin with. What weight does losing crewmates have if you don't know who any of them are?

At the very least, Toonami shpould run those "One Piece 101" videos Funimation made during the adverts to give the audience a crash course on the main cast.

Raxus

I honestly prefered that to the awful pacing that current episodes have.

Rather have one chapter in sub-10/15 minutes than for it to be strechted over 20 minutes.

Look what happened to Bleach. It is filled with chapters with perhaps 5 minutes worth of material (if not less) and it becomes talk no jutsu on steroids.

Jigolo

So episodes are going to be sub-15 minutes from now on? Shiiiiiiiit.

No, episodes are still about 19-20 min. They cut off endings at one point in OP but I'm not sure what episode that started on. First 5-6 min is basically intro and recap, the rest of the episode is just that, episode content. The very last thing in every One Piece episode ends with "To be continued" now

Also now get ready for some of the best fights in OP with Enies Lobby.

Good lord
Boa Hancock
(412) is a twat

Ok, getting the backstory now. Maybe less so.

Man, everyone has had such a shit life in this. It's all kinds of fucked up.
(415)

EDIT: Ok what the fuck?! I was just looking at the first couple of pages of this thread and found this post -

Toby Howard was my lecturer for two graphics courses at uni. What the hell.

Kokonoe

Banned
Although I do have to say, though One Piece has some things I don't add up quite well, this manga is surprisingly well written, and there isn't any plothole that's that severe like with Naruto which has plotholes and PiS all over the place and throughout the chapters.

I mean for how long it's gone on, it hasn't messed up on the calibur like Dragon Ball did with the Buu saga, or other long running shows. To me, that's what really sets this show apart (well also that other characters still get their fights and things done too).

I have to agree. I was hooked the moment Alvida was thrown into the air.

I think for me was the moment when Luffy and Coby were talking about their dreams.

It's funny because the first episode Luffy pretty much almost dies since he was found in a barrel from his boat being destroyed.

Raxus

To be honest, as someone who's new to this series, I thought One Piece started out just as great as the rest of it.

People really get down on the prologue and filler despite the fact those parts are fun to watch. Mostly because so much of the anime has really strong arcs. As many have pointed out there are actually some entertaining moments during Davy Back Fight and the Ocean's Dream is more or less for new comers since, let's face it, a 200 episode anime is gonna have a shit ton to recap.

In short there is no reason to fear the beginning, it is a fun ride through and through, it is just a matter of getting over the fear of NEVER catching up and to just start watching it. The anime isn't getting shorter anytime soon.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Yes, skip the filler. I watched one ep a few days ago and skipped the rest. Right now I'm nearing the end of that arc.
WTF is Blackbeard up to in there? edit: Getting poisoned apparently.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Look out, terribad filler from 426-429!

To me, this is probably the worst filler arc in the series.
It's intended to connect to the 10th movie Strong World, but it ends up being inconsequential.
It has all the cliches of past filler arcs rolled up into one big ball of annoying.
It also interrupts a current arc, killing some of the pacing.

Tecl0n

After reading some of the impressions the last couple of posts i had to rewatch Luffy vs
Ussop
. Such, a great moment, of the highest points in the series.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I knew they were going to make the scene @1:32 the pivotal scene of the opening.

Also, Jesus Christ have they upped the ante on Nami's breasts for the opening. Its kinda starting to scare me.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Pretty laid back. I like it.
A shame Funimation won't play it tonight... hopefully soon.

Eh... song is too laid back for me. Crew scenes are ok though.
I don't really care as I only really ever liked opening #13/One Day, but the ones with a catchy melody (We Go) are at least more fun.

However, I'm glad there's finally a new opening. Feels more fresh and I like that they make intros for each arc.

3FY1p6Z.jpg

One Piece 591: Chopper Enraged! Master's Tyrannical Experiments!

One Piece 592 Preview: Gang Obliteration! Legendary Hitman Attack!

Meelow

Banned
One episode 147.

So I am going to the amazing Skypiea that I keep hearing about, excited.

Edit: Going to watch Movie 4 now.

Top Bottom