• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Not translating certain words doesn't bother me, I really don't care about that at all. However, they really could put some more effort into not making some things sound so awkward. I can't think of any great examples at the moment as I'm at work, but things like "I suddenly feel really sad" or whatever from when
Luffy was eating the mushrooms on the woman island
in episode 408 (god I felt nerdy typing that) is just not a good sentence. It doesn't have to be a direct translation, or even that much of a translation at all, just something else that gets the intended meaning across, like, I dunno..."Everything is awful" or something (shut up I'm not a writer this was just off the top of my head). Point is, specific words not being translated barely matters when the rest of the translation sounds really awkward anyway. Noone's watching anime to learn Japanese (and if they are that's probably not a good idea) and if they do speak Japanese, I doubt they'd be watching it with subtitles (and if they are and get annoyed...well whatever).

CrazyDude

Not translating certain words doesn't bother me, I really don't care about that at all. However, they really could put some more effort into not making some things sound so awkward. I can't think of any great examples at the moment as I'm at work, but things like "I suddenly feel really sad" or whatever from when
in episode 408 (god I felt nerdy typing that) is just not a good sentence. It doesn't have to be a direct translation, or even that much of a translation at all, just something else that gets the intended meaning across, like, I dunno..."Everything is awful" or something (shut up I'm not a writer this was just off the top of my head). Point is, specific words not being translated barely matters when the rest of the translation sounds really awkward anyway. Noone's watching anime to learn Japanese (and if they are that's probably not a good idea) and if they do speak Japanese, I doubt they'd be watching it with subtitles (and if they are and get annoyed...well whatever).

That doesn't sound awkward at all.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I always thought the English translation was really poor compared to other languages, especially in terms of names. The three vice-admirals (pre-timeskip) have really good names, but they didn't even try to translate them in the English version. They did translate the names in many other languages. They should also have translated Kuma.
No. Names should not be translated. It opens up a huge pandora's box in translating terms and, for a series where the official romanization may appear in print on bounty posters, can be rather problematic. And why only translate the japanese names to english, what about other foreign names?

Warlord sucks as a translation and doesn't make sense considering their job.
Yes, that would accurately describe them, but it sounds lame.

I just think Shichibukai sounds better.
Why does "meaningless japanese word" sound better than "apt, though not perfect, english word"?

(Also I got tired of spelling out and pronouncing shichibukai, years ago :p)

The streaming subs are not indicative of the official subtitles, dub and even manga translations. The streaming subs are done quickly and Toei has way more influence than they normally do. With the time limits involved, we're basically just getting a basic translation, no localization or improved translation to make the flow better. I'm, frankly, continually impressed that the streaming subs are as good as they are, all considering.

That doesn't sound awkward at all.
Like I said I couldn't think of a good example due to work and shizzle. Shh.

The streaming subs are not indicative of the official subtitles, dub and even manga translations. The streaming subs are done quickly and Toei has way more influence than they normally do. With the time limits involved, we're basically just getting a basic translation, no localization or improved translation to make the flow better. I'm, frankly, continually impressed that the streaming subs are as good as they are, all considering.

Yeah, that's fair enough. All I meant was that I find that more irritating than some occasional Japanese terms.

Sonicbug

Obviously the translator wasn't intelligent enough -- or maybe he didn't even bother.

Or Japan told them what to use, which is what happens 90% of the time. The official One Piece translators for Viz have brought it up multiple times when talking about the translation.

Also, a bunch of the names in One Piece are mixes of several languages. When it's already half in English and half in Japanese, leaving it alone makes the most sense.

Dammit! The official One Piece page on Facebook just posted this:

"One Piece returns this Saturday night with a brand new episode on http://onepieceofficial.com/ and Hulu!

Unfortunately, we will not be able to premiere the new OP song, "Hands Up!," for Episode 591. We're working as quickly as possible to address this issue, so please bear with us.

We're hoping to have this matter resolved by next week's episode."

I have to say, what is the benefit for people doing fan subs? Seems like a lot work for nothing in return.

They're doing it for the benefit of the community. They take on shows that would not get a translation otherwis, and usually provide better translations than official ones for the shows that do get localized.

I am also not entirely sure why they keep doing it, but I'm certainly not complaining lol.

Although, I suppose they do make some money from ads and donations.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

"One Piece returns this Saturday night with a brand new episode on http://onepieceofficial.com/ and Hulu!

Unfortunately, we will not be able to premiere the new OP song, "Hands Up!," for Episode 591. We're working as quickly as possible to address this issue, so please bear with us.

What the hell Funi & Toei?
Get that fixed and fast!

PolishQ

Just ordered the first collection from Amazon based on GAF word of mouth. What am I in for? Does it take a while to get rolling, or is it great from the get-go?

BatDan

Just ordered the first collection from Amazon based on GAF word of mouth. What am I in for? Does it take a while to get rolling, or is it great from the get-go?

It's average at first, but it gets great about 30-35 episodes in.

Consider the entire east blue saga to be a prequel to the main story which is there to simply establish the cast and make them a crew. If you finish episode 37 and aren't invested then quit

Wiseblade

Consider the entire east blue saga to be a prequel to the main story which is there to simply establish the cast and make them a crew. If you finish episode 37 and aren't invested then quit

Even the chapter titles act like everything before the Arlong fight is a prologue to the main story.

I got lucky with one of my friends recently. Showed him the beginning through Buggy and he absolutely loved it. Never seen someone enjoy it so quickly since myself.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

lol, whatever. The opening is always out on youtube before the english stream starts. And they'll be a bunch of people watching it live.

As for the reason its probably either (A) they didn't have the opening animation done in time to add it to the episode file they send funimation early, or (B) its the umpteenth example of Avex fucking over Funimation with licensing issues.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

The answer is...both.

I think it's pretty darn good pretty much right from the start. Its charm and goofiness is there right away, as is the sense that it's not really all that much like other shows in its genre. That said, it does take time to build upon itself and really blossom into the legendary series it has become. The first 50 episodes are basically prologue to the rest of the series, and the first arc that really begins to show some of its real potential starts with episode 30.

If you like it at all at the start, you'll love it later.

PolishQ

The answer is...both.

I think it's pretty darn good pretty much right from the start. Its charm and goofiness is there right away, as is the sense that it's not really all that much like other shows in its genre. That said, it does take time to build upon itself and really blossom into the legendary series it has become. The first 50 episodes are basically prologue to the rest of the series, and the first arc that really begins to show some of its real potential starts with episode 30.

If you like it at all at the start, you'll love it later.

Thanks! I've got to finish Baccano! first, then I'll dive in.

Yonafunu

I was hooked from the first chapter. The sense of adventure this series exudes from day one is amazing.

Acid, get to posting impressions!
it's why I'm here!

BatDan

By the way, One Piece will start airing on Toonami starting May 18th. Starting with Episode 207.

So everyone has a month to catch up. You can skip the filler to cut time.

Raxus

By the way, One Piece will start airing on Toonami starting May 18th. Starting with Episode 207.

Be forewarned we are going to start at a cannon filler arc that was made to give breathing room inbetween mega-arcs. If you watch 1-2 episodes a day up to the premiere you will be caught up before you know. Why not start now?

God damn Usopp get over it you fucking baby

Edit:
i post that and literally a minute later he's back with a mask and cape on

Edit 2: OMFG
SOGEKING INTRO
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
tumblr_liqi2iLFzI1qah4nko1_500.gif

SORE NIGEROOOOO

SOGEGE SOGE SOGE

SOGEKIIIINNNNGUUUU

starting on foxy arc

perfect

Will stay up to watch (as well as DVR it). I've been waiting forever to see Water Seven on TV. Although I would have liked starting from episode one, I'm grateful to have One Piece on the air again. Exciting times for the fanbase, no doubt. Let's just hope the fanbase sticks around for the airings.

BatDan

We can survive it. When Toonami came back, Bleach was in a filler arc and we managed to get through it.
Plus, stuff happens in One Piece
unlike Bleach

789shadow

Banned
We can survive it. When Toonami came back, Bleach was in a filler arc and we managed to get through it.
Plus, stuff happens in One Piece
unlike Bleach
This is not about us. Bleach was already a known, established show in that timeslot and wasn't JUST STARTING IT'S RUN. One Piece is going to BOMB in ratings.

Korosenai

This is not about us. Bleach was already a known, established show in that timeslot and wasn't JUST STARTING IT'S RUN. One Piece is going to BOMB in ratings.
Especially starting at the Foxy arc. Hopefully it does really well, but I think if theyre going to already skip the first 200 episodes, they can skip a couple more and start at the good stuff.

Tenrius

Especially starting at the Foxy arc. Hopefully it does really well, but I think if theyre going to already skip the first 200 episodes, they can skip a couple more and start at the good stuff.

I think they're starting with episode 207 because it's the first episode in 16:9, actually.

789shadow

Banned
I think they're starting with episode 207 because it's the first episode in 16:9, actually.
Oh, that makes it all better. Toonami's audience will certainly look past the fact that they don't know any of the characters and that the arc they're starting with is basically "if 4Kids wrote an arc."

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I'm enjoying the Impel Down arc, but that intro just doesn't fit, LOL. The song isn't actually bad, it's just way too uplifting, especially given what's happening in the episodes.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
You can't start right with Water Seven, on Toonami. Usopp and Robin and all that stuff that happens pretty much right away would have zero impact if you didn't have any attachment to them, or see them interact with the crew. Starting with a good chunk of just "wacky time episodes" will solidify the crew dynamic before Shit Actually Gets Real. It's risky, but man, starting not at the very beginning is risky enough in itself. I wonder what it'd be like to start where they're gonna start as a new person, having no idea who anyone is, or what their motivations are.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
When do you guys think the
revolutionaries
take action, before or after one piece is found?

It'll be around the time when the World Government starts making whatever move it's going to make. I don't think the end game is going to be tied to Raftel, it'll obviously be important to the end game but all the players will start moving independent to it. Odds are they'll move during or after Luffy and co are in the World Capitol since they'll see a fight between the Straw Hats and Navy as an ideal time to strike. Sort of like how Kaido wanted to move against Whitebeard while he was fighting the Navy.

Top Bottom