• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Soriku

Guys.

Guys.

One Piece Film Z is subbed.

And about damn they changed the opening. What took them so long? It's not bad.

Mr. Fix

Any opening is better than We Go! at this point.
Guys.

Guys.

Well damn, I only see a korean sub for now. The quality is as if it were dvd/bluray- sweet. It's only a matter of time!

Jigolo

Anyone getting choppy animation from the new opening? I checked another video and it was the same. Was it supposed to be like that? I can't stand it

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Anyone getting choppy animation from the new opening? I checked another video and it was the same. Was it supposed to be like that? I can't stand it

Only on sub-HD feeds. The HD videos of the opening are fine and don't have any choppiness.

You have to remember that 95% of the videos of the opening right now are sub-optimal rips.

I haven't seen the new episode yet, but I did see the new opening on youtube. The song is alright but not the best, the animation is good (especially of the fighting scene), and the overall what happened in it was good. It wasn't the best opening compared to Brand New World but it's okay. I did like the added 4 animations at the end because they were all my wallpapers on my computer at some point, lol.

Opening Rating
7/10
Their was too much not happening in the opening sometimes like when Luffy was staring at
Law and when the boat blasted off and they stayed on that animation for a while.
Also the song wasn't awesome but just okay.

Saw the opening twice. Once in a low quality and once in 720p. First thought was that it was just okay but it already grew on me. OP has a bunch of low key and high key songs so I'm fine when either shows up. My only complaint (besides the spoilers for non-manga readers) are the color spreads are way too short. Like half a second long which sucks.

Oh shit two more
devil fruits for CP9
. I wonder what they'll be.

I wish my older brother watch One Piece so he can make it to this arc and I want to see his expression on his face after finishing that arc. I can't wait till you watch one of my favorite episode of that arc and see what you think of it.

Soriku

OK I saw the new ep. Lol one of the kids is called Dolan?

get

Franky's face in Chopper's body was hilarious, as well as Robin's reaction.

The plot developments are getting interesting after a slowish start to the arc.

Akito

One Piece Film Z
I might need to watch this again with decent subs and video quality, and especially not after an all-nighter. Overall this feels like a slightly improved Strong World to me, the story structure is really similar but there is way more action in Film Z than SW and pretty much all of the fights are very well animated and look cool as hell. That said, action is not what defines OP for me, it's the sense of adventure, the humor and the emotional moments and all of that is pretty much non-existent here. Like SW, this is a fun to watch action flick and it even gives off a vibe of being somewhat canon but ultimately it isn't and you would not miss out much either by not watching it.
The new outfits are great again, there were as many outlandish as classy ones.

kazebyaka

Banned
I prefer to avoid this thread cuz of spoilers. But i must say that new opening is AMAZEBALLS. Love it. 16 perfect openings in a row.

SykoTech

I like Hands Up quite a bit. Part of it may be because I am totally sick of We Go now, but whatever.

Here's hoping Hands Up doesn' as for nearly 2 years though.

Guys.

Guys.

Yessss. Was so tempted to spoil myself back during the hype in December, not to mention watch the raw that was upe earlier. All that patience is about to pay off.

upandaway

I really like the new OP. I would have liked it more if we were in filler or some kind of setup arc, but it's still very very neat. I think it's insanely catchy too, is that just me?

It is the weirdest thing ever to hear a Avril Laviegne song right after a One Piece movie. At the credits I was like "is this still a Japanese movie!"

Overall the movie was awesome and I loved the action, though I still believe the final battle on Strong World was better then Movie Z's final battle. I just didn't like that most of the battle
was just plain boxing, while in SW it was full on assault of gear second, and getting smashed through rocks.
If I had to compare the overall action of Movie Z to SW, I would probably go for Movie Z as an overall action sense. As a One Piece fan the movie didn't disappoint, and if the movie come to the US in dub or sub form on Blu-ray I'm buying it first thing. I still can't get over the action in the movie lol.

Astral

There's a new opening? I'm watching the new episode and it's still We Go. Does it officially air next week or something?

Wow, I've only read the manga and just now checked out Bink's Sake on Youtube. It's really good. There are three versions of it from what I can tell. I like the version with the violin. Not sure where that's from; it seems to be pre-time-skip. I guess that was part of some filler? I don't remember it being in the manga.

I'm absolutely loving this new opening. So much better than We Go. I'm the kind of guy who prefers these laid-back kinds of songs. For example, in Naruto Shippuuden I prefer opening 4 (Closer) to opening 6 (Sign).

SykoTech

I found Zoro and Sanji's fights to be very disappointing, but the rest of Film Z was good.

Minor spoilers/speculation about Z:
I'm guessing the pirate who cut off his arm and became a Warlord was Doflamingo.

I really like the new OP. I would have liked it more if we were in filler or some kind of setup arc, but it's still very very neat. I think it's insanely catchy too, is that just me?

I find it very catchy too. Moreso than We Go anyway.

I found Zoro and Sanji's fights to be very disappointing, but the rest of Film Z was good.

I'm guessing the pirate who cut off his arm and became a Warlord was Doflamingo.

I personally thought their fight was pretty amazing, though most of it shined because of the fluid animation. I think the only faults the fight had was the too fast motion where you could barely follow what was happening, and they were very short.

The only fight I didn't like as much was Luffy's because
most of it was just plain boxing. In SW Luffy and Shiki were all over the place doing different moves, throwing each other through rocks, and Luffy had to fight in gear second the whole time. Also that Gigant Thor move o_O

PolishQ

How do the movies fit into the show's run? Are you supposed to watch a certain number of episodes, then a movie, then continue the show? Or does each movie take an arc of the show and condense it, sort of a retelling?

grandjedi6

Wait, there was a OP + DBZ anime special before? How is it called?
Nope. There was a crossover manga called Cross Epoch. And there were a bunch of advertising stuff while Kai aired. But this is the first anime episode special.

Nope. Said warlord joined 1 year ago (during the timeskip). Its gotta be the mysterious one we don't know anything about.

grandjedi6

How do the movies fit into the show's run? Are you supposed to watch a certain number of episodes, then a movie, then continue the show? Or does each movie take an arc of the show and condense it, sort of a retelling?
The movies are unrelated to the anime. Movies 1-7 are noncanon side stories, movie 8 is a recap of Alabasta, movie 9 is a reimagining of Drum Island, and Strong World/Z are side stories.

SykoTech

I was also under the impression that Luffy was the only one who got the "Black Fist" effect when using Armament Haki due to being rubber, but I guess that's not the case since Z can do it too.

Crocodile
? Unless they're talking about "current".

He's a possibility too. But
I don't see Crocodile being as high up on the food chain to cause Z and his crew so much trouble. Someone with Armament Haki like Z should have been able to stomp a young Crocodile. I think Doflamingo and Hawkeye are the more likely candidates. And between those two, I'd go with Doflamingo.

EDIT: Whoops, just read grandjedi's post. Nevermind then!

I personally thought their fight was pretty amazing, though most of it shined because of the fluid animation. I think the only faults the fight had was the too fast motion where you could barely follow what was happening, and they were very short.

The only fight I didn't like as much was Luffy's because
most of it was just plain boxing. In SW Luffy and Shiki were all over the place doing different moves, throwing each other through rocks, and Luffy had to fight in gear second the whole time. Also that Gigant Thor move o_O

The animation and angles used were great, but they were way too short and offered Zoro and Sanji no real challenge at all. It was kinda like Strong World all over again.

As for Luffy
I agree that the scale of their fight could have been larger. Luffy didn't even use Elephat Gun or Red Hawk. But I enjoyed the overall brutality of their boxing match. Luffy in particular was getting smacked around pretty good.

Mh yeah, Luffy barely uses any techniques in the movie :/

Also,
to me it made no sense that he could still hit and even break Z's weapon arm even though it should make him weak due to the seastone... It was really weird how the power levels changed. There wasn't really a reason why Luffy did win apart from maybe getting Z tired. Not to mention Z's sudden change of heart...
Btw I'm kinda sad that the black color comes from the Haki usage and not Haki+rubber vulcanization.

I wondered why they didn't mention the responsible pirate/warlord in the movie, but so it seems there is another Warlord position and even the manga didn't show him/her yet? So it could be someone we already know thus the secrecy? I don't like these kind of reveals in OP because everyone in the world would know it after a public World Government announcement as it otherwise defeats the purpose of a Warlord :p
Must be some overpowered Warlord, doing that to an admiral. Although Z didn't seem to be any match for Kizaru and both Aokiji (who didn't want to kill him out of respect) and Akainu could likely defeat him, too.

I really liked seeing Aokiji in the movie and the wounds he suffered from his fight against Akainu.

I don't know if it's the one mentioned but there was a video at some fair in Japan that spanned multiple screens.

This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYmzjou2LMU

Nope. There was a crossover manga called Cross Epoch. And there were a bunch of advertising stuff while Kai aired. But this is the first anime episode special.

mh, ok thanks. So it's probably from that JP event thing. They should release these things at some point as DVD extras or whatever...

Top Bottom