• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Does the Manga ever say what happened to Zoro's eye? What if they pulled a Kakashi and show that he has a hawkeye like Mihawk underneath O:

Mh yeah, Luffy barely uses any techniques in the movie :/

Also,
to me it made no sense that he could still hit and even break Z's weapon arm even though it should make him weak due to the seastone... It was really weird how the power levels changed. There wasn't really a reason why Luffy did win apart from maybe getting Z tired. Not to mention Z's sudden change of heart...
Btw I'm kinda sad that the black color comes from the Haki usage and not Haki+rubber vulcanization.

I wondered why they didn't mention the responsible pirate/warlord in the movie, but so it seems there is another Warlord position and even the manga didn't show him/her yet? So it could be someone we already know thus the secrecy? I don't like these kind of reveals in OP because everyone in the world would know it after a public World Government announcement as it otherwise defeats the purpose of a Warlord :p
Must be some overpowered Warlord, doing that to an admiral. Although Z didn't seem to be any match for Kizaru and both Aokiji (who didn't want to kill him out of respect) and Akainu could likely defeat him, too.

I really liked seeing Aokiji in the movie and the wounds he suffered from his fight against Akainu.

The story in the movie is not Canon so it make no sense to reveal manga aspects in it .
Also don't consider Kizaru , Aokiji , Akainu normal admirals in was said it booklet that were monsters from a young age .
Truth is they might have been the 3 strongest admirals ever at the same time , take note that no other guys that we see as admirals or people that could be admirals have logia DFs .
Any way i caved in and watch have to say it's best OP movie so far and i love the last fight .
Manly fist fights always get to me and i love how luffy did not over power Z , the way how he beat Shiki in SW was bad .
Also going down fighting always awesome to me

Does the Manga ever say what happened to Zoro's eye? What if they pulled a Kakashi and show that he has a hawkeye like Mihawk underneath O:

If that happens I may have to quit One Piece. If it isn't an actual injury so far the only reason I can think of that could be okay is he's just constantly napping. Pretty sure I've mentioned that here before though.

Soriku

Oh Christ...legal issues are preventing the new opening from being shown? I thought it was going to air next week or something.

We Go lives another (million) days :mad:

Meelow

Banned
Watched movie 4 last night, enjoyed it, and when Gasparde cut Luffy's Strawhat, I knew the badass Luffy was going to come out.

As for episode 151, Didn't think Bellamy was going to be that weak, thought he would put up more of a fight lol, and the some of the Warlords...Oh wow.

Episode 152 was epic, the way they are flying up to Skypiea :D

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
up to 463. Epic stuff going on. Also, wow at that megaton reveal a few episodes back. I don't even want to put it in spoiler tags.

Wiseblade

If that happens I may have to quit One Piece. If it isn't an actual injury so far the only reason I can think of that could be okay is he's just constantly napping. Pretty sure I've mentioned that here before though.

Really? I hate the idea of fighters only having one eye and kind of hope that he eventually reveals that he's been holding back the entire time. Depth perception and peripheral vision are kind of important.

Really? I hate the idea of fighters only having one eye and kind of hope that he eventually reveals that he's been holding back the entire time. Depth perception and peripheral vision are kind of important.

It could also be that he's not holding back but in order to get a hawkeye the eye(s) have to be in constant darkness for years or so, so he cheats and is doing it just with one instead of sitting in a cave for a few years :p

upandaway

Eh, I really can't imagine Zoro going "____ attack!" and open his eye and perform an action that can only be done with the eye open, or even just opening his eye and being "generally stronger". That seems a bit silly.

Shutting only one eye is a bit too subtle for a handicap in One Piece, too (and not very kid friendly - to them one eye is enough eyes to kill anything that moves). If he was gonna fight with a disadvantage he'd close both eyes during the fight.

Also if his eye had powers beyond what they did before the skip, that would be.. a bit disappointing.

Wiseblade

Eh, I really can't imagine Zoro going "____ attack!" and open his eye and perform an action that can only be done with the eye open, or even just opening his eye and being "generally stronger". That seems a bit silly.

Shutting only one eye is a bit too subtle for a handicap in One Piece, too (and not very kid friendly - to them one eye is enough eyes to kill anything that moves). If he was gonna fight with a disadvantage he'd close both eyes during the fight.

Also if his eye had powers beyond what they did before the skip, that would be.. a bit disappointing.

I'm not saying that he has to shoot beams out of his eyes, just that becoming the world's greatest swordsman with only one is kind of impractical. You only need one hand to hold a sword and Mihawk still got bored of Shanks. Why would he entertain a challenge from a one-eyed man?

Just saw Strong World. Good movie all things considered. A whole bunch of things that made no sense but it was really good nonetheless. I can't help but think that this film would have been amazing as a video game. Open-world, hunting big monsters, jumping around on high cliffs -- could have been pretty amazing.

upandaway

I'm not saying that he has to shoot beams out of his eyes, just that becoming the world's greatest swordsman with only one is kind of impractical. You only need one hand to hold a sword and Mihawk still got bored of Shanks. Why would he entertain a challenge from a one-eyed man?
I don't think losing an arm is the same as losing an eye (in OP, at least). It feels a bit more awkward for Zoro to lose because of his eye, than for Shanks to lose because of his arm. I know I'm being unreasonable with my feels and to mes but that's all I can really give here!

Z's movie was pretty good. But, it made no sense how Luffy was even a threat to Z. Kizaru is pretty strong, he took what was basically a nuke point blank and suffered no injuries.

Aokiji was pretty boss.

One Piece Film Z

Much better then Strong World, it may not of been as funny but I'll take the vastly improved story, characters, and action the second Oda film has. I always felt like with Strong World Oda wasn't sure how to write for a film and it's clear he's learned from SW's strengths and weaknesses to make Z the definitive OP film. Though I want Oda to focus more on the manga for the next few years I wouldn't mind seeing another Oda written film after how great Z was.

Haha disregard that Oda didn't write Film Z, still think Film Z is the superior OP film though.

Korosenai

One Piece: Film Z

I just watched Film Z, and here are some of my thoughts on it:
-First off, I gotta say that I loved it, absolutely loved it. A lot of fun to watch
-Seeing the crew in the beginning hanging out on the ship, relaxing, having fun, doing their own thing, I love moments like those.
-Luffy/Zoro/Sanji vs. Z was awesome and there should be more team fights like that because they're great to watch.
-Having some of the Crew turn into kids was interesting. Sanji being a perv, and Zoro calling him disgusting made me lol.
-Oh shit, Aokiji showed up and he lost his left leg, i'm assuming in his fight with Akainu? That's crazy.
-Hmmm, now i'm curious as to which warlord cut off Z's arm and destroyed his crew.
-Lol at Aokiji ignoring Nami and wondering what happened to her mature body.
-The Strawhat's had some pretty cool final outfits.
-Sanji's golden lighter needs to make it's appearance more often, was pretty funny.
-Damn, Franky is a beast. I never get tired of seeing his General Franky either.
-Sanji and Zoro had some good fights, but they were a little too short. Sanji's Sexy Fire made me laugh.
-Luffy vs. Z was really good, and Z's death scene was amazing as well.
All in all, great movie, good pacing, and good fights. I really enjoyed it.

One Piece Film Z

Much better then Strong World, it may not of been as funny but I'll take the vastly improved story, characters, and action the second Oda film has. I always felt like with Strong World Oda wasn't sure how to write for a film and it's clear he's learned from SW's strengths and weaknesses to make Z the definitive OP film. Though I want Oda to focus more on the manga for the next few years I wouldn't mind seeing another Oda written film after how great Z was.

Oda did not write Z he was the a producer on it and he over saw it but he did not write it .
The film writer is Osamu Suzuki so give him the credit for a good story .

Ahh well that explains a lot then lol. Sorry Suzuki you did a fantastic job with Film Z

Truth is i think it would be hard for Oda to write a movie right now .
He seems like he wants to do huge arcs with loads of characters all connected .
Don't see a OP movie lasting that long to for him to do it .

6 has the better story, atmosphere and arguably a more interesting art design.

I found Z had the better story , it also has a much better main villain , Z is a much better character than anything in movie 6 .
The music in Z also different and sounds good , Z better in both animation and art don't care if movie 6 got different art design since it never did anything for me .
It should be noted what i look for in a OP movie is awesome animation with regular art designs along with other things .

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
How many episodes should one watch before diving into the movies?
Movies 1 and 2 you can watch pretty much anytime once you're decently far into East Blue. Movie 3 is about 100 episodes in. Movie 4 any time after Arabasta. Movie 5 some time in Skypiea. Movie 6 around the same time. Movie 7 you can watch as early as Davy Back Fight but probably shouldn't until after episode 273. Movie 8 any time after 278. Movie 9 after 325. Movie 10 (Strong World) at about 425. Movie 11 whenever you want after that. Movie 12 (Z) basically current with the anime.

Top Bottom