• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

todd360

Does usopp's father know he joined Luffy?

That's actually a really good question. I feel like he does but i have no idea. Luffys wanted poster does have usopps back. Plus the sogeking poster but I doubt his dad would recognize that. Hopefully he doesn't know and its a huge surprise for when they finally run into each other.

Akito

I found Z had the better story , it also has a much better main villain , Z is a much better character than anything in movie 6 .
The music in Z also different and sounds good , Z better in both animation and art don't care if movie 6 got different art design since it never did anything for me .
It should be noted what i look for in a OP movie is awesome animation with regular art designs .
The story of Film Z is really really thin, a crazy old dude and his crew wreck shit in the world and get stopped by the strawhats in a rematch. Where did I hear that story before, oh right in Strong World. Z just appears to be kinda interesting but that's mostly because of his former status and the cameos of Borsalino and Kuzan, he's your stock "I'm gonna destroy everything to achieve my goal" villain archetype. His other 2 crew members were also pretty disappointing, Ain in particular, she has a interesting power but that's about it. You don't even get to know what becomes of them at the end. The Dyna Stones seem like the worst kind of filler material/asspull, if the marines have tons of those, why are they so afraid of the ancient weapons again?

Mr. Fix

Incoming emotional scene between father and son. As for Luffy and Dragon, I have a feeling it'll be similar to him and Whitebeard, with Luffy just giving his clueless expression.

The story of Film Z is really really thin, a crazy old dude and his crew wreck shit in the world and get stopped by the strawhats in a rematch. Where did I hear that story before, oh right in Strong World. Z just appears to be kinda interesting but that's mostly because of his former status and the cameos of Borsalino and Kuzan, he's your stock "I'm gonna destroy everything to achieve my goal" villain archetype. His other 2 crew members were also pretty disappointing, Ain in particular, she has a interesting power but that's about it. You don't even get to know what becomes of them at the end. The Dyna Stones seem like the worst kind of filler material/asspull, if the marines have tons of those, why are they so afraid of the ancient weapons again?

The same can be said for movie 6 the story is about them getting invite and the facing challenges to be pirates of pirates .
In fact all OP movies stories are paper thin which why the charterers in movie matter more than the story IMO .

Akito

The same can be said for movie 6 the story is about them getting invite and the facing challenges to be pirates of pirates .
In fact all OP movies stories are paper thin which why the charterers in movie matter more than the story IMO .
I'd say that most if not all of the OP movies have a richer story than Film Z, solely because 70% of it is action. Movie 6 in particular has probably the least action of all movies and that's because it focused on the relationship between the strawhats, they had to overcome their desires, doubts and weaknesses to come together again after nearly falling apart. You cannot say with a straight face that it's in the same caliber as Film Z.

Thanks, I'll watch them in order.

Watch them all. The only ones I actively disliked was 3 and 5. And even 5 had a cool moment in it. 7 is a lot of fun also. It kind of makes fun of the typical anime villain.

I do like 6 but
every fight with the crew felt fake at first. We've seen it a million times in the actual story but all of a sudden they're holding grudges and staying mad?

I'd say that most if not all of the OP movies have a richer story than Film Z, solely because 70% of it is action. Movie 6 in particular has probably the least action of all movies and that's because it focused on the relationship between the strawhats, they had to overcome their desires, doubts and weaknesses to come together again after nearly falling apart. You cannot say with a straight face that it's in the same caliber as Film Z.

If you think most movies have richer story than Z there don't much else to say since i think all of them have (expect recaps movies ) stories thin .

I do like 6 but
every fight with the crew felt fake at first. We've seen it a million times in the actual story but all of a sudden they're holding grudges and staying mad?

Yep that is another reason why i think movie 6 don't feel right .
When i was watching it i was saying to my self this makes no sense what so ever .

Yofaycesux

Neo Member
Quite a bit behind, at ep 68 right now, but I was wondering if there was a list of the filler arcs, or at least the ones that aren't important enough to watch. I'd ideally like to catch up to the new showing on Toonami, so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Quite a bit behind, at ep 68 right now, but I was wondering if there was a list of the filler arcs, or at least the ones that aren't important enough to watch. I'd ideally like to catch up to the new showing on Toonami, so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions.

Skip 131-143.

Watch them all. The only ones I actively disliked was 3 and 5. And even 5 had a cool moment in it. 7 is a lot of fun also. It kind of makes fun of the typical anime villain.

I do like 6 but

I haven't watched any episodes after finishing the Fishman Island Arc because I want to wait for the next arc to finish, so I'll watch them all.

470 -
Holy shit, Buggy vs Mihawk is the best thing

OH MY GOD KUMA ARMY

They're not really going to kill Ace, are they? ARE THEY?! Though I would give them huge props for going through with it (NOTE: Don't ACTUALLY tell me >_>)

EDIT: 471 -
SQUARDO WHAT THE FUCK

EDIT 2: 472 -
WHITEBEARD WHAT THE FUCK

EDIT 3: Just generally -
WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON

EDIT 4: 472 still -
FUCK YOU SENGOKU AND THAT DOG GUY WHO'S NAME I CAN'T REMEMBER

Jigolo

470 -

OH MY GOD KUMA ARMY

They're not really going to kill Ace, are they? ARE THEY?! Though I would give them huge props for going through with it (NOTE: Don't ACTUALLY tell me >_>)

SQUARDO WHAT THE FUCK

WHITEBEARD WHAT THE FUCK

garp

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I do like 6 but

Yep that is another reason why i think movie 6 don't feel right .
When i was watching it i was saying to my self this makes no sense what so ever .

But that's the plot.
The island destroys a crew's camaraderie. Its a part of the flower's spell.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
470 -

OH MY GOD KUMA ARMY

SQUARDO WHAT THE FUCK

WHITEBEARD WHAT THE FUCK

And you haven't seen anything yet if I remember right

Acid08

Banned
Wow fart power are you fucking kidding me hahaha

Franky is great I hope he joins the crew. His songs are beautiful too.

Acid08

Banned
GEE THE WORLD GOVERNMENT SURE IS FUCKING HORRIFIC

every time she does the giant's laugh it breaks my fucking heart :(

duckroll

Oda did not write Z he was the a producer on it and he over saw it but he did not write it .
The film writer is Osamu Suzuki so give him the credit for a good story .

One Piece Vol1000 indicates otherwise. Suzuki is the screenplay writer, which means he converted the story outline into an actual script with dialogue and details, but Oda wrote the entire outline for the story. There are so many pages of his detailed outline from start to end where he basically dictated all the major beats of the story, the opening credits, the ending credits, all the way to the final shot of the movie. He even has illustrations in the outline to indicate how he wants certain scenes to be shown.

Just saw One Piece: The Dead End Adventure. I quite liked the movie all things considered. It was a nice adventure, and there were a lot of good moments. Three things stood out as weird though:
The boy turning out to be a girl, Chopper somehow being able to sniff out Gaspado and... the candy devil fruit. That's a pretty ridiculous fruit.

Tecl0n

I've seen Film Z and i have to admit it's quite good. Too bad
The incident with the warlord was so long ago, it'd have been nice if it was one of the current ones

Also 591;
Shulololo, to my surprise, sounds amazing when spoken

Again, I don't want oda to work on another film. The first time he did we got 15 page chapters, the second time he did we got a quality dip in chapters. And the current arc is back to being awesome after the recent patchy period.

Late FI & PH.

Hmm, I haven't gotten to PH yet. I'm at the end of FI and honestly I think this is a really good arc all things considered. The enemies are throw-away and uninteresting but the story as a whole is pretty good, even if the thing with the
blood-transfusions
is a bit overused -- typically Japanese.

Jigolo

Spoiler from episode 484 (do not read if you haven't seen it)

I still think Akainu should have been killed along with Ace and Whitebeard. Or at least severely injured to the point where he can't get up. Those hits from WB were brutal. The fact that he was still trying to catch luffy and Shanks had to stop him from killing Coby after WB put the beat down on him is pretty stupid imo.

duckroll

Again, I don't want oda to work on another film. The first time he did we got 15 page chapters, the second time he did we got a quality dip in chapters. And the current arc is back to being awesome after the recent patchy period.

He will almost certainly continue working on every major One Piece movie from now on. I think it would be stupid to think otherwise considering how much money they're making.

One Piece Vol1000 indicates otherwise. Suzuki is the screenplay writer, which means he converted the story outline into an actual script with dialogue and details, but Oda wrote the entire outline for the story. There are so many pages of his detailed outline from start to end where he basically dictated all the major beats of the story, the opening credits, the ending credits, all the way to the final shot of the movie. He even has illustrations in the outline to indicate how he wants certain scenes to be shown.

Did not know that , from interviews i read it seem like he did way less .
Thanks for the info .

Spoiler from episode 484 (do not read if you haven't seen it)

I still think Akainu should have been killed along with Ace and Whitebeard. Or at least severely injured to the point where he can't get up. Those hits from WB were brutal. The fact that he was still trying to catch luffy and Shanks had to stop him from killing Coby after WB put the beat down on him is pretty stupid imo.

Don't see how it stupid
While WB is awesome , the Admirals are the WG strongest fighters it should take more than 3 hits to take them out \ kill them .

Top Bottom