• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

upandaway

He will almost certainly continue working on every major One Piece movie from now on. I think it would be stupid to think otherwise considering how much money they're making.
Him and probably as many authors as Shueisha can muster for the near future, with their respective IPs. They've been hammering it hard ever since Strong World.

He will almost certainly continue working on every major One Piece movie from now on. I think it would be stupid to think otherwise considering how much money they're making.

I'd suspect that he only makes them because he wants to. He's already richer then the dreams of avarice at this point, so I don't think he really needs the money, and I wouldn't think Shueisha would try and force him since they wouldn't want to do anything to annoy him at this point either.

That said, he may force himself so as not to disappoint fans, but I rather hope not.

I'm absolutely certain Eiichiro Oda is making One Piece because he loves it. He seems passionate about it and really want to continue the story. I doubt he's doing it because he feels that he has to, or because he's forced or such.

I'm absolutely certain Eiichiro Oda is making One Piece because he loves it. He seems passionate about it and really want to continue the story.

He is, maybe even too much so. I vaguely recall some interview where he said he barely ever even goes home, his wife has to bring the kids to work to see him.

The question hangs over the movies because they don't "continue the story" as such.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Really we have to do almost an entire episode with Luffy's origin again?

Or for every character.....

Yeah, 5 episodes of that. You can skip them if you want. The relevant present-day stuff that occurs in them all appears again in the next episode after them anyway.

But DO watch the Straw Hat Theater shorts that accompanied those episodes!

I think that was when the anime was in all kinds of trouble because they got way too close to the manga in the middle of an active saga and couldn't break off to filler. It's why we got massive recaps as well.

The main anime director changed very soon after from memory, and while the new one has never run into these problems, his solution to doing so (in-arc filler & 1 chapter = 1 episode) has led to an inferior product imo. The lack of coverstories, which would reduce reliance on filler just a bit grates too.

duckroll

Did not know that , from interviews i read it seem like he did way less .
Thanks for the info .

He might have done less than Strong World, but his contribution is still very significant. If you can find scans of One Piece Vol1000 (it was a promo book sold or given out when it opened in Japan I think), you'll see that Oda's touch is all over the movie. I really recommend it, because you can see that while he designed all the costumes in the movie, other Toei designers did the Z Filler Arc costumes, so he definitely didn't care as much for that (looool).

But the most striking thing to me is the collection of drawings he did showing the entire life of Z from a young boy all the way to the end of the film. All the montages in the movie showing his life are all directly based on the illustrations Oda did detailing the character's life. That's a really significant creative contribution to the foundation of the movie's story as well.

For Strong World, I think Oda definitely did much, much more "work" in terms of designs though. He didn't just design all the costumes, but also ALL the monsters in the movie, and he did tons of landscape layouts for the various locations throughout the movie, etc. Soooo much artwork. I think handling the story outline, costumes, designing the opening movie, and drawing Z's life was definitely less work in comparison. :D

I'd suspect that he only makes them because he wants to. He's already richer then the dreams of avarice at this point, so I don't think he really needs the money, and I wouldn't think Shueisha would try and force him since they wouldn't want to do anything to annoy him at this point either.

That said, he may force himself so as not to disappoint fans, but I rather hope not.

Yeah, I agree that he's doing it because he wants to, but I think the motivating factor is also in how much more popular the movies are now after he personally took over as an executive producer. By making the movies into big blockbuster movie-only events within the same One Piece world, his personal touch has really elevated what fans think of the One Piece movies. This alone should be a huge factor, even before looking at the tons of money he's probably also making from it.

Yeah, that's true, popularity wise. Personally I prefer 4 & 6 to 10, but the extra boost that "oda written" puts on it helps immensely.

Hell, if I lived in Japan I would have gone to see Strong World solely to get the free chapter zero instead of getting scalped on ebay.

He is, maybe even too much so. I vaguely recall some interview where he said he barely ever even goes home, his wife has to bring the kids to work to see him.

Really? That's really sad. I hear a lot of manga writers have insane work hours -- some work almost all of the time they spend awake. Big writers like Oda and such have it a bit easier, but still they have so much work to do all the time. It's really a shame when work comes before family, but I hope they do get to spend time together.

Really? That's really sad. I hear a lot of manga writers have insane work hours -- some work almost all of the time they spend awake. Big writers like Oda and such have it a bit easier, but still they have so much work to do all the time. It's really a shame when work comes before family, but I hope they do get to spend time together.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-creator-eiichiro-oda/i-sleep-from-2-to-5-a.m

He works 20 hours a day one One Piece, man is dedicated to his craft

Jigolo

Oda is a master at his craft and I don't mind if he does take a slight break from the manga. Hell this could probably lead to him writing it even better when he comes back.

Acid08

Banned
Yeah skip those shenanigans

And what were your thoughts on
the straw hats declaring war on the world and robin declaring she wants to live
Was so fucking pumped for that!!!! Can't wait to keep watching when I get home, these fights are going to be nuts.

Really excited to see what Kalifa and Kaku's Devil Fruit powers are and more of Usopp's new weapon.

Raxus

Was so fucking pumped for that!!!! Can't wait to keep watching when I get home, these fights are going to be nuts.

Really excited to see what Kalifa and Kaku's Devil Fruit powers are and more of Usopp's new weapon.

Not to mention the opening for that arc gets me pumped everytime I hear it.
START ME UP!

Mr. Fix

Man, those fights. Good times. I was not prepared for those.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-creator-eiichiro-oda/i-sleep-from-2-to-5-a.m

He works 20 hours a day one One Piece, man is dedicated to his craft

Holy shit. No way. This guy only sleeps for three hours? I guess the one hour left is used to eat food and such. I feel really bad for him and his family. The article doesn't specify if he works that much on weekends too, but I would assume so. Damn. That's really sad :(

I wonder if it's really true though. I honestly don't think it's possible to only sleep three hours every night. I've done it a few times -- I think we all have -- but every single night? That's insane.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The few assistants who work on the project are the only people he has revealed the "truth/all the secrets" to

He also revealed everything to his editors.
I like to think Oda uses the money he's made to hire assassins to follow people that know the secrets and make sure they don't say anything. He probably gets them at the same warehouse Nintendo does.

Raxus

I love that opening!!!!! They've all been winners so far imo. Need to get a soundtrack or something of all of them. Does that exist?
'Yes'

Sadly the OST's stateside are criminally expensive and only have 20ish songs (if that).

If you are willing to shell out 65 bucks you get the first 7 openings and a majority of the ending themes and two bonus songs.

Maybe someone can give you a better way to get the full openings without having to spend an arm and a leg.

CrazyDude

I really wonder why he doesn't take more free time. Those kind of work hours per every day is damn madness. It's not like publishers could do anything about it if he wanted to slow down little bit considering how popular One Piece is.

Hell, togashi does 6 chapters and then goes on a 8 months vacation.

Just saw One Piece: Baron Omatsuri And The Secret Island.

This is the stupidest story I've ever seen in the One Piece universe. It's stupid on many levels and really doesn't make much sense -- some things even goes against the lore. That said, it has some really funny moments in the first half. As for the second half, well, I have to say that I didn't see that coming. The Silent Hill stuff towards the end was crazy. Why is Luffy so weak though?

Over-all I don't really know what to think. The story is really stupid and has so many flaws, but then again it does have a whole bunch of funny moments and a really unexpected and interesting horror-esque ending. I think it was okay all things considered.

Spoiler from episode 484 (do not read if you haven't seen it)

I still think Akainu should have been killed along with Ace and Whitebeard. Or at least severely injured to the point where he can't get up. Those hits from WB were brutal. The fact that he was still trying to catch luffy and Shanks had to stop him from killing Coby after WB put the beat down on him is pretty stupid imo.

I'm pretty sure Akainu is being set up as the end boss / ultimate villain of the series.

Kokonoe

Banned

I still think Akainu should have been killed along with Ace and Whitebeard. Or at least severely injured to the point where he can't get up. Those hits from WB were brutal. The fact that he was still trying to catch luffy and Shanks had to stop him from killing Coby after WB put the beat down on him is pretty stupid imo.

Agreed.

CrazyDude

I feel a huge war might come again, only this time between: Straw Hat alliance, Blackbeard crew/alliance, and the marines/world government.

II don't think so. Personally,
I think that Blackbeard will be dealt with near or at the second half of the grand line right before One Piece is found. I think that last arc will be a major war with the revolutionaries on one side and the world government on the other. Straw Hats will fight against the world government after learning about the void history.

789shadow

Banned
II don't think so. Personally,
I think that Blackbeard will be dealt with near or at the second half of the grand line right before One Piece is found. I think that last arc will be a major war with the revolutionaries on one side and the world government on the other. Straw Hats will fight against the world government after learning about the void history.
This is my general thought as well.
Straw Hat Pirates vs. Blackbeard Pirates at Raftel for the One Piece and the right to be King of the Pirates. Then the Straw Hats learn the Void History, and Akainu and the Marines likely do something that PISSES LUFFY THE FUCK OFF (like, say, kidnap Shirahoshi since she is an ancient weapon, possibly also tear apart Alabasta looking for Pluton.) This leads to a huge fucking battle royal between the Straw Hats and many, many allies vs. the Marines, with Luffy vs. Akainu being the final fight of the series.

Soriku

Lol yeah.

I really want to see Luffy vs. Akainu, but realistically he should've died. I know this is manga/anime, but holy shit at the attacks he took:

1. Whitebeard put the force of an EARTHQUAKE on his skull when pressing him down on his punch. If he didn't get his head crushed, because you can't exactly train your head to withstand that kind of force (especially when the punch is from the strongest man in the world), he should've suffered severe brain/mental damage.

2. Whitebeard threw him up, then punched him in his stomach area, again with the force of an earthquake. Except much stronger, to the point that it caused massive fissures at the island. Literally tore the ground apart. His body and organs should've been crushed.

But nah, dude's OK...

Also major lol at the censoring during the fight. In the manga, Akainu burned half of Whitebeard's face off. In the anime, he lost half his mustache...

Straw Hat Pirates vs. Blackbeard Pirates at Raftel for the One Piece and the right to be King of the Pirates. Then the Straw Hats learn the Void History, and Akainu and the Marines likely do something that PISSES LUFFY THE FUCK OFF (like, say, kidnap Shirahoshi since she is an ancient weapon, possibly also tear apart Alabasta looking for Pluton.) This leads to a huge fucking battle royal between the Straw Hats and many, many allies vs. the Marines, with Luffy vs. Akainu being the final fight of the series.

I think the Five Stars/Gorosei will have a big role at the end. I'm not so sure they're sympathetic, and they might even be stronger than Akainu.

"Not so sure" is kind of an understatement. We know from the Ohara flashback that they're just as evil as Akainu is; there's not really any reason to believe they're sympathetic characters.

smurfx

get some go again
Lol yeah.

I really want to see Luffy vs. Akainu, but realistically he should've died. I know this is manga/anime, but holy shit at the attacks he took:

1. Whitebeard put the force of an EARTHQUAKE on his skull when pressing him down on his punch. If he didn't get his head crushed, because you can't exactly train your head to withstand that kind of force (especially when the punch is from the strongest man in the world), he should've suffered severe brain/mental damage.

2. Whitebeard threw him up, then punched him in his stomach area, again with the force of an earthquake. Except much stronger, to the point that it caused massive fissures at the island. Literally tore the ground apart. His body and organs should've been crushed.

But nah, dude's OK...

Also major lol at the censoring during the fight. In the manga, Akainu burned half of Whitebeard's face off. In the anime, he lost half his mustache...

I think the Five Stars/Gorosei will have a big role at the end. I'm not so sure they're sympathetic, and they might even be stronger than Akainu.
even if you use haki i don't think you truly hit logias with your full power. no reason why his earthquake power would of hit him 100%. he smacked him down but it probably wasn't enough to truly cause massive damage. plus they are admirals so they aren't going to go down from one hit and i don't expect emperors to go down from 1 or 2 hits. at that point akainu was far stronger than whitebeard and maybe the strongest fighter in the world.

789shadow

Banned
"Not so sure" is kind of an understatement. We know from the Ohara flashback that they're just as evil as Akainu is; there's not really any reason to believe they're sympathetic characters.
But the one who ordered the annihilation of Ohara was clearly remorseful even as he ordered it.

Soriku

I don't remember the flashback exactly, but I remember one of the guys (the dude with the long beard) being slightly sympathetic to Ohara. They made lots of people leave the island on a ship, but then Akainu was the one who ordered it destroyed as it was sailing. So I wouldn't put them on Akainu levels yet.

even if you use haki i don't think you truly hit logias with your full power. no reason why his earthquake power would of hit him 100%. he smacked him down but it probably wasn't enough to truly cause massive damage. plus they are admirals so they aren't going to go down from one hit and i don't expect emperors to go down from 1 or 2 hits. at that point akainu was far stronger than whitebeard and maybe the strongest fighter in the world.

Maybe, maybe not. But the dude came back with average wounds...

Admiral or not, you're not going to survive that head blow or a force that crushed the island even.

But still, anime.

CrazyDude

I think I have a general idea of future sagas.

Taking out Kaido. (Current)
Helping out shanks from captain kid alliance.
Take out big mom.
Final stretch to one piece and black beard battle.
The big war and finally.

Top Bottom