• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
even if you use haki i don't think you truly hit logias with your full power. no reason why his earthquake power would of hit him 100%. he smacked him down but it probably wasn't enough to truly cause massive damage. plus they are admirals so they aren't going to go down from one hit and i don't expect emperors to go down from 1 or 2 hits. at that point akainu was far stronger than whitebeard and maybe the strongest fighter in the world.

Don't forget that Akainu is ALSO a haki user. He can defend himself with haki to counteract Whitebeard's attacking him with haki. Obviously Whitebeard was still stronger, so he did real damage, but the damage is nowhere near the actual full power of the attack.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Honestly I don't expect Luffy vs Akainu ever. It just doesn't feel like there's enough of a connection between them, I expect a final battle to be far more personal than that. Yeah he scarred luffy and killed ace but it was really very.. clinical. "I'm the marines you're the pirates, so I keel you." He's just "some guy from the war" as far as I'm concerned. I kinda see Aokiji rematching Akainu and that being the fight where he gets beat.

Now Blackbeard, he feels like an appropriate foil for Luffy. Or some yet-to-be-revealed endboss from the World Government.

worst part is the anime eps only cover a single chapter anymore. It's good in the sense we don't get filler, but at the same time it's rare for a lot to get accomplished in a single ep anymore :/

But we get stuff that's worse than a few filler episodes. We get unskippable, mid-episode filler. I get annoyed just thinking about it.

Soriku

Honestly I don't expect Luffy vs Akainu ever. It just doesn't feel like there's enough of a connection between them, I expect a final battle to be far more personal than that. Yeah he scarred luffy and killed ace but it was really very.. clinical. "I'm the marines you're the pirates, so I keel you." He's just "some guy from the war" as far as I'm concerned. I kinda see Aokiji rematching Akainu and that being the fight where he gets beat.

Now Blackbeard, he feels like an appropriate foil for Luffy. Or some yet-to-be-revealed endboss from the World Government.

Was there really much of a connection between Luffy and Arlong, Crocodile, Enel, Lucci, Moriah, Hody, etc. though?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Was there really much of a connection between Luffy and Arlong, Crocodile, Enel, Lucci, Moriah, Hody, etc. though?

Most of those were "revenge for hurting my friends," which sure, would be fair considering what Akainu has done, but Akainu still doesn't seem outright EVIL like most of those were. Marines killing pirates in a war aint particularly spectacular, and those guys all had long arcs building them up, while Akainu's really just been a bit part so far. I think a "final boss" is gonna have to be more than any of those foes were anyway. Some sort of ultimate culmination, which I think Blackbeard has a good shot at being.

I don't really think Akainu is stronger than any of the four emperors, though, and Luffy's gonna be up with or past them by the end. Can't have a final boss that Garp or Sengoku could probably beat, and the World Government is probably full of dudes stronger than anyone in the Marines.

Soriku

Most of those were "revenge for hurting my friends," which sure, would be fair considering what Akainu has done, but Akainu still doesn't seem outright EVIL like most of those were. Marines killing pirates in a war aint particularly spectacular, and those guys all had long arcs building them up, while Akainu's really just been a bit part so far. I think a "final boss" is gonna have to be more than any of those foes were anyway. Some sort of ultimate culmination, which I think Blackbeard has a good shot at being.

Not a bad point, but then I think of Ohara and know the dude's evil lol. He's all about the Marines and justice and whanot, and some other Marines are like that but he just takes it to an extreme.

I'd say
Ace's death
gives him a better connection with Luffy than all the villains save maybe Blackbeard.

We'll see (in a couple years lol) though. It's definitely the fight that I want to see happen the most.

I also want to see Zoro vs Kizaru. Because they can both use swords and so Zoro gets some payback from Sabaody.

Raxus

Spoilerific

Spoilers people!

I disagree with this statement simply because we know the World Government is into some very shady shit. Akainu is outright evil. His motto is Black(?) Justice and he seems like the most likely to carry out straight up evil commands.

We know there is good (Colby, Smoker, Aokiji/Kuzan, Garp) and bad (Akainu, Kizaru, CP9, Spandam) marines in the series just like there are good and bad pirates. Akainu will very likely be a main villain at SOME point in the series. But my god this series has so much shit to still cover. Not even counting the strawhat dreams there is Dr. Vegapunk, the revolution, Blackbeard, Fishman Island redux and Big Mam, Shanks (my bet to the final fight of the series), Void century, the weapons, Kidd, the rest of the 11 supernovas, Sabo, etc. We still have a long long long long long long long way to go.

What is Elbaf btw? I don't recall that off the top of my head.

Spoilers people!

I disagree with this statement simply because we know the World Government is into some very shady shit. Akainu is outright evil. His motto is Black(?) Justice and he seems like the most likely to carry out straight up evil commands.

We know there is good (Colby, Smoker, Aokiji/Kuzan, Garp) and bad (Akainu, Kizaru, CP9, Spandam) marines in the series just like there are good and bad pirates. Akainu will very likely be a main villain at SOME point in the series. But my god this series has so much shit to still cover. Not even counting the strawhat dreams there is Dr. Vegapunk, the revolution, Blackbeard, Fishman Island redux and Big Mam, Shanks (my bet to the final fight of the series), Void century, the weapons, Kidd, the rest of the 11 supernovas, Sabo, etc. We still have a long long long long long long long way to go.

What is Elbaf btw? I don't recall that off the top of my head.

Is Kizaru really all that bad? He never struck me as being evil, just aloof and neutral. He's sort of in-between Aokiji and Akainu.

EDIT: His ability is definitely broken, though. How the heck are you supposed to beat light?

Mr. Fix

I think I have a general idea of future sagas.

Taking out Kaido. (Current)
Helping out shanks from captain kid alliance.
Take out big mom.
Final stretch to one piece and black beard battle.
The big war and finally.

I'm personally hoping that everyone starts to make the move to raftel at the same time.
I just find it a waste if any of the emperors are taken out before the war.
Oda did say that the final arc would make the War of the Best look like nothing in comparison. Though this does bring up a good point. Something would have to offset the balance to get all those gears moving.
At the very least, 1 emperor should be enough, probably Kaido. I'm still certain that we could see Big Mom being another ally for Luffy during the war. He does have Lola's vivre card.

Is Kizaru really all that bad? He never struck me as being evil, just aloof and neutral. He's sort of in-between Aokiji and Akainu.

EDIT: His ability is definitely broken, though. How the heck are you supposed to beat light?

Oda balances him out pretty nicely by making him dim-witted.

Raxus

Mirrors :D Zoro would be the perfect opponent for him. There are ways you can manipulate light that I am sure could be implemented but I think it will just be a straight up power fight.

I will admit he falls into the 'neutral' category of characters like Buggy but he, like Buggy, is a total dick and I hate them for that so nah :p

smurfx

get some go again
At the very least, 1 emperor should be enough, probably Kaido. I'm still certain that we could see Big Mom being another ally for Luffy during the war. He does have Lola's vivre card.
i'm hoping blackbeard takes down an emperor if luffy is gonna do the same with the help of law. i've had the feeling that blackbeard would be the one to take down shanks and his crew but you never know and maybe blackbeard takes down big mom for some reason. i want to see shanks helping luffy at the end of one piece if there is a huge war so i hope he doesn't die.

Just watched War Z, thought it was pretty good. Spoilers:

Would have been nice if the rest of the crew got a fight besides the usual 3. Was also a bit of an anti-climatic final fight, Luffy didn't even seem to do that much damage to Z besides breaking his gun.

Edit: Sorry!

CrazyDude

i'm hoping blackbeard takes down an emperor if luffy is gonna do the same with the help of law. i've had the feeling that blackbeard would be the one to take down shanks and his crew but you never know and maybe blackbeard takes down big mom for some reason. i want to see shanks helping luffy at the end of one piece if there is a huge war so i hope he doesn't die.

Kid pirate alliance is also taking on down and I feel they will go after Shanks only because that would be a good excuse for Luffy to fight them.

Watched Film Z last night, it's quite fun, storywise it pretty much does what Strong World tried and failed to rather more successfully.

That said, I still prefer 4 & 6. At this point, of the proper feature lengths, I'd say it goes thusly:

1) Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island
2) Dead End Adventure
3) Z
4) Strong World
5) Bloom in the Winter, Miracle Cherry Blossom
6) Giant Mecha Soldier of Karakuri Castle
7) The Desert Princess and the Pirates: Adventures in Alabasta (BD version with extra footage makes it a bit more watchable)
8) The Cursed Holy Sword (so bad)

Jigolo

This is my general thought as well.
Straw Hat Pirates vs. Blackbeard Pirates at Raftel for the One Piece and the right to be King of the Pirates. Then the Straw Hats learn the Void History, and Akainu and the Marines likely do something that PISSES LUFFY THE FUCK OFF (like, say, kidnap Shirahoshi since she is an ancient weapon, possibly also tear apart Alabasta looking for Pluton.) This leads to a huge fucking battle royal between the Straw Hats and many, many allies vs. the Marines, with Luffy vs. Akainu being the final fight of the series.
funny I see this happening as well. But I think akainu will piss luffy off really bad by doing something to garp-san. I feel that akainu is gonna put all of luffy's and dragon's wrong doing on garp somehow and instead of being the hero of the marines he will somehow be turned into a villian and ultimately executed. Then luffy will destroy him

Sorry for grammar on phone

funny I see this happening as well. But I think akainu will piss luffy off really bad by doing something to garp-san. I feel that akainu is gonna put all of luffy's and dragon's wrong doing on garp somehow and instead of being the hero of the marines he will somehow be turned into a villian and ultimately executed. Then luffy will destroy him

I think it would be hard to make Garp into a villain to the Navy since so many see him as a hero. There would have to be some resistance to whatever crap Akainu makes up. I would hope so anyway haha.

Sakazuki would never do that to Garp.

IdK I mean garp was gonna kill akainu if it weren't for sengoku

Well yeah, but Sakazuki had just killed his grandson. That was very much a heat of the moment thing.

And if Sakazuki was the kind of guy who would do that, Kuzan wouldn't even be alive right now.

482 -
ACE! WHAT! D: D: D:

Immediedit: 483 -
OH GOD THE EPISODE TITLE NO WHAT NO D: D: D:

EDIT:
OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK

EDIT 2:
D: D: D: D:

Fuck this is twice now that I've nearly cried at OP

*spoilering everything so Acid has no idea even though they're not even close to spoilers*

Can someone please just straight up fucking murder Akainu? Please?

EDIT: 484 -
FUCK YES WHITEBEARD FUCKING CRUSH HIM

EDIT 2:
OH FUCK NOT YOU TOO FUCK FUCK FUCK D:

So if Whitebeard didn't have to worry about his crew or Ace, would he have completely wrecked the place?

Honestly his
old age might have held him back somewhat, obviously the injury Esquardo gave to him wasn't doing him any favors at that point either.

Raxus

Honestly his
old age might have held him back somewhat, obviously the injury Esquardo gave to him wasn't doing him any favors at that point either.

Plus
he did kind of wreck that place. Both he and Blackbeard did crazy damage to Marineford.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Agreed. I wasn't exactly a fan of how toned down his destructive power was in the anime.

I'm surprised it's still able to keep the blood right now considering how toned down Toriko is.
Then again, it can be inconsistent.
Like when Hody stabbed Van Der Decken at the end of one episode and it was covered in blood, but in the next it was clean

Korosenai

485 -
Suddenly, Sin City. Also WHITEBEARD NO GODDAMNIT BLACKBEARD D:

That was kind of pretty brutal, christ

It's even worse when you read the manga and realize
that earlier on when Akainu punched Whitebeard in the head, he actually melted half of Whitebeard's face off. Yet Whitebeard kept fighting on

It's even worse when you read the manga and realize
that earlier on when Akainu punched Whitebeard in the head, he actually melted half of Whitebeard's face off. Yet Whitebeard kept fighting on

That's fucked up.

487 -
JINBE! NOT YOU TOO D:

Can someone please kill Akainu D:

Goddamn this arc. Jesus christ.

EDIT:
CROCODILE! Man I am loving Crocodile as a non-asshole

^^ If the Game Of Thrones threads have taught me anything, it's that people love seeing people freak out about stuff that they already know about

488 -
HOLY SHIT SHANKS! :D :D :D

Actually shouted in excitement at that

EDIT: 491 -
Luffy :( Ace :(

Acid08

Banned
Omg this fight with
Zoro and Kaku
is so dope. These devil fruit powers are crazy.

OMFG
GIRAFFE MAN LOLOLOL

Top Bottom