• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

SykoTech

Ugh, I can't believe We Go is still playing. Let out an audible groan, and then just muted and played Hands Up on another tab as a substitute.

I must have totally missed where Luffy learned the
gear stuff. That seemed to come out of nowhere.

Blueno said something about
Luffy imitiating a steam engine, which hints that he came up with the idea after being introduced to sea trains in Water 7. Beyond that, there's no real clear explanation.

Lv0Nf6l.jpg

One Piece 592: Gang Obliteration! Legendary Hitman Attack!

One Piece 593 Preview: Save Nami! Luffy's Snow Mountain Battle!

I don't get what's wrong with translating Sogeking. Wouldn't the Japanese think of it as "Sniper King" themselves? I think they did a great job with it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I am so in love with the new opening. Reminds me of Brand New World, a bit.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding Gear 2:

This is Luffy using his devil fruit in a creative way to mimic CP9's Soru technique. This is specifically mentioned in the fight with Blueno, though the mechanic behind it isn't actually explained until the fight with Lucci.

3 is just Luffy taking the same principles and applying them in a different way, rather than trying to directly imitate an enemy ability.

EDIT: I'm a little surprised Sogeking is translated out only because Funimation's press material for that volume directly mentions "Soge King."

The only real issue it presents is that
his wanted poster says Sogeking on it.

Raxus

Regarding Gear 2:

This is Luffy using his devil fruit in a creative way to mimic CP9's Soru technique. This is specifically mentioned in the fight with Blueno, though the mechanic behind it isn't actually explained until the fight with Lucci.

3 is just Luffy taking the same principles and applying them in a different way, rather than trying to directly imitate an enemy ability.

EDIT: I'm a little surprised Sogeking is translated out only because Funimation's press material for that volume directly mentions "Soge King."

The only real issue it presents is that
his wanted poster says Sogeking on it.

Basically, most of Luffy's techniques he learns from other fighters. Crocodile and Chopper show him that you can do more within the context of your devil fruits ability and Gear Third probably came from that.

242 - 254
tumblr_mk7a0cu0Jp1s8rzmyo1_250.jpg

Somehow I completely forgot or failed to remember any and all of these characters or even the flashback from the source (though thats probably on account of marathoning the whole manga during final exam week so long ago...), however, I think the whole arc is definitely still one of the best ones around. Flashback of Franky (awesome design in his younger days superior to current forms, excellent), was well done and rather compelling, and a few of the other things present there, Ora, CP5, and , World Gov't, combined with the suspense, drama, and a bit of super fun, will make it a bit unforgettable.

The present day stuff really does highlight Odas continuing flaw and surprisingly it is still present today as it was back then.
Luffy and crew getting obliterated there with Lucci and Kaku, what even? Zoro had tore his blades but then he was still thrown leagues out the window, then Luffy, couldnt land a single blow. And Sanji's just off somewhere, didnt quite understand why he wasnt present. The whole event would have worked far better if they had managed to at least damage someone present significantly, so as to not come across as that bad of losers.

Still, its been more entertaining, moving, and emotional than Skypeia, so I cant wait for the next volume.

Acid08

Banned
So I got to the end of the Enies Lobby battles

DAT DUGONG LOLOL. Kokoro is so fucking boss, amazing character.
The tears and feels were flowing at the end there. Usopp taking off his mask and yelling at Luffy to get up and fight, SO TOUCHING.
Luffy and Lucci fight was really awesome and despite its length was probably the best paced fight. It stayed intense as they just beat the hell out of each other. Gear Second is amazing and watching Luffy unleash that final gatling attack was so satisfying! I actually cheered during it :x
THE MERRY!!!!! I don't know how the fuck that happened but omg so sick! Love that you can just see Usopp and Luffy's appreciation for the ship. I feel like both of them grew the most in this arc. Zoro's sword though :(. I feel like that was the weakest one though so the next sword he gets should be incredible.
Robin fucking breaking Spandam's back in half. I know no one ever dies in One Piece but until they show him still alive I'm going to assume that Robin straight up murdered that asshole.

Fucking amazing stuff guys. Combined with Water 7 it's by far the best the show has to offer so far. Really looking forward to seeing the post-Enies wrap up stuff. FUCK YEAH ONE PIECE!

The tears and feels were flowing at the end there. Usopp taking off his mask and yelling at Luffy to get up and fight, SO TOUCHING.
Luffy and Lucci fight was really awesome and despite its length was probably the best paced fight. It stayed intense as they just beat the hell out of each other. Gear Second is amazing and watching Luffy unleash that final gatling attack was so satisfying! I actually cheered during it :x
THE MERRY!!!!! I don't know how the fuck that happened but omg so sick! Love that you can just see Usopp and Luffy's appreciation for the ship. I feel like both of them grew the most in this arc. Zoro's sword though :(. I feel like that was the weakest one though so the next sword he gets should be incredible.
Robin fucking breaking Spandam's back in half. I know no one ever dies in One Piece but until they show him still alive I'm going to assume that Robin straight up murdered that asshole.

Fucking amazing stuff guys. Combined with Water 7 it's by far the best the show has to offer so far. Really looking forward to seeing the post-Enies wrap up stuff. FUCK YEAH ONE PIECE!

I can't wait to see what you have to say about the next episode from where you stopped for the night. Honestly that's the episode I always look forward to reading new people's impressions of

Jigolo

Now a whole new world is about to open up. (Pun intended) ;)

Yonafunu

Interesting to look at.

I think:

1 is Kishimoto (Naruto)
3 is Toriyama (Dragonball)
4 is Kubo (Bleach)
8 is Sorachi (Gintama)
9 is Araki (Jojo)

Some of the rest I sort of recognize, but I don't know any names.

Also, this is fan-made, right?

edit:

6 is the guy that made Prince of Tennis, I think

Akito

Eiichiro Oda
Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto)
Akira Toriyama (Dragonball)
Tite Kubo (Bleach)
Masami Kurumada (Saint Seiya)
Takeshi Konomi (Prince of Tennis)
Tetsuo Hara (Fist of the North Star)
Hideaki Sorachi (Gintama)
Hirohiko Araki (JoJo)
Nobuhiro Watsuki (Kenshin)
Mitsuteru Yokoyama (Giant Robo)
Yumi Tamura (Basara)

I quite dislike that. There are moments when people really should have died, like at the end of Alabasta, when
the bird-guy sacrifices himself for the country and then survives
, and all sorts of similar events. There will be a few important people dying later on though, but you're quite a bit away from that still.

I'm so glad I'm up to date with the series and was up to date for years and years. So many people giving out vague spoiler possibilities. I just don't get it. If I was behind I'd be pissed reading some of that stuff up above.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm so glad I'm up to date with the series and was up to date for years and years. So many people giving out vague spoiler possibilities. I just don't get it. If I was behind I'd be pissed reading some of that stuff up above.

Well we've entered a weird era in this thread, with all these people suddenly starting the series from scratch. Anime spoilers have never been required to be marked in here, but here we are.

I quite dislike that. There are moments when people really should have died, like at the end of Alabasta, when
the bird-guy sacrifices himself for the country and then survives
, and all sorts of similar events. There will be a few important people dying later on though, but you're quite a bit away from that still.

I agree with that. I takes away the significance of their sacrifice etc. Especially if it's minor characters that won't play a role in the series anymore (though I guess that way you will never know who will return to the plot :p ).
In the latest episode I'm already willing to bet that
Brownbeard was not killed by the Yeti Assassins, just by the way the scene plays out. But he should be dead because it was several shots in the face while being tied up and the guy intended to kill him. He's a really bad assassin if he can't even manage this. I don't know the manga, so don't spoiler me if I'm wrong :p

Ifrit

I agree with that. I takes away the significance of their sacrifice etc. Especially if it's minor characters that won't play a role in the series anymore (though I guess that way you will never know who will return to the plot :p ).
In the latest episode I'm already willing to bet that
Brownbeard was not killed by the Yeti Assassins, just by the way the scene play out. But he should because it was several shots in the face while being tied up and the guy intended to kill him. He's a really bad assassin if he can't even manage this. I don't know the manga, so don't spoiler me if I'm wrong :p

Yeah I got that impression too, I hope I'm wrong though

My favorite battle, it brought chills to my spine.

About the latest episode:

I don't know why but I kinda like Caesar. I know that he did a lot of bad stuff to the kids and killed a lot of his henchmen, but I just can't help but like him. I think I like him because out of all the villains he is the most interesting. Not to mention his powers are pretty cool for a villain. I already read the manga, but I can't wait to see him later on in the anime.

Acid08

Banned
Oh man........

Tears :(

Kinda pissed me off that Usopp didn't take the mask off while Merry was being burned. I usually love Luffy's ability to be totally unaware of obvious things but him not knowing who Sogeking is is so fucking stupid. It actually made me mad. Otherwise when Merry started talking fuuuuuuuuck :(((((

Oh man........

Tears :(

Kinda pissed me off that Usopp didn't take the mask off while Merry was being burned. I usually love Luffy's ability to be totally unaware of obvious things but him not knowing who Sogeking is is so fucking stupid. It actually made me mad. Otherwise when Merry started taking fuuuuuuuuck :(((((

And this is the moment everyone realizes OP is truly special, any series that can make you feel
sad enough to cry over the loss of a boat
truly is doing something right.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Manga only cover story arc info related to this:
There's a cover story arc that has yet to appear in the anime that covers the fallout for CP9. Spandam is in critical condition in a full body cast. He blames CP9 for the fall of Enies Lobby and orders the Marines to arrest CP9. The members of CP9 escape on the Sea Train to St. Poplar where they use their Devil Fruits to act as street performers to raise money for Lucci's medical treatment. Eventually they're forced to escape and arrive on the island where CP9 recruits are trained. Lucci and the other members of CP9 fight off the Marines there and call Spandam in the hospital and warn him that they will eventually return. Spandine then joins Spandam in the hospital to help scheme up a way to assassinate CP9, and meanwhile CP9 sets sail back to sea. And that's how that storyline was left off.

The CP9 Saga is so good. Even the Water 7 Reprise stuff is great. Just be wary of 317-319. They're filler.

Not sure if anyone's noticed by now, but the English volumes are being marked down on Amazon. Pricing varies from volume to volume. This might be a good time to purchase them if you're interested as some of the prices are being increased again (vol 57 was 5.98 a month or two ago, now it's 6.57).

Anyone happen to complete their One Piece manga collection yet? (I envy whoever has vols 32 and 36 as a first print).

EDIT: Amazon US marked them off. Unsure of other territories.

Not sure if anyone's noticed by now, but the English volumes are being marked down on Amazon. Pricing varies from volume to volume. This might be a good time to purchase them if you're interested as some of the prices are being increased again (vol 57 was 5.98 a month or two ago, now it's 6.57).

Anyone happen to complete their One Piece manga collection yet? (I envy whoever has vols 32 and 36 as a first print).

You might want to specify what Amazon you're talking about. NeoGAF is an international forum with people from all over the world, and Amazon is a huge online-retailer with many stores. I assume you're talking about Amazon UK, but it could be US or DE.

No one has a complete One Piece collection, as not all volumes are out yet :) I do have every volume that has been released thus far though.

I refuse to buy the OP volumes until they start printing Zoro and not Zolo

Top Bottom