• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

You might want to specify what Amazon you're talking about. NeoGAF is an international forum with people from all over the world, and Amazon is a huge online-retailer with many stores. I assume you're talking about Amazon UK, but it could be US or DE.

No one has a complete One Piece collection, as not all volumes are out yet :) I do have every volume that has been released thus far though.

Yeah, sorry forgot to mention it's from the US Amazon site. Not sure about the international versions of the site.

That's what I meant by collection. Just forgot to add "thus far". :p
I'm down by 11 volumes now (Viz 34-38, 55-60). Feels amazing to have the story in volume format. I just wish Viz would release the other Color Walks and the Data Books.

I get annoyed by Zolo, Roguetown, Kami, and Vassals, but I read as it should be. There was "Zoro" in vol 33, however, but it was just Chopper crying out for his crewmates. Bittersweet really.

Haha, what? They spell his name as Zolo? That's hilarious. Ruffy/Luffy, Lolonoa/Roronoa, Zoro/Zolo -- the joy of the Japanese having the same letter for "L" and "R".

I love the Swedish translation of the names. They're all perfect. And yeah, it does feel great to own the story. It just sucks that none of the color walks or data books have been released in Europe outside of France and Germany (to my knowledge). My German is rusty. If they're out in the US, why can't I find imported versions of them in Europe? :/

Haha, what? They spell his name as Zolo? That's hilarious. Ruffy/Luffy, Lolonoa/Roronoa, Zoro/Zolo -- the joy of the Japanese having the same letter for "L" and "R".

I love the Swedish translation of the names. They're all perfect. And yeah, it does feel great to own the story. It just sucks that none of the color walks or data books have been released in Europe outside of France and Germany (to my knowledge). My German is rusty. If they're out in the US, why can't I find imported versions of them in Europe? :/

I don't think any of those were released in English sadly

Really? @Gear2nd_PK said "release the other Color Walks and the Data Books", which sort of implies that one or several have been released. If not, then that's really a shame, and also quite strange. If they're out in French and German, why not English too?

Korosenai

I own about 20 volumes. Not really in order, just some volumes that contain some of my favorite moments that I can go back and read whenever I want. The Zolo thing bothers me as well, but it's not really that big an issue because I read it as Zoro anyways.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

I think two Color Walks were released in the US.

Viz originally began the series using Zoro. The first few volumes originally had it. Then 4Kids began airing the anime with the name change (because apparently nobody informed them that "Zorro" is in the public domain), and Viz reissued the previous volumes with the "corrections" and moved forward from there.

Viz originally began the series using Zoro. The first few volumes originally had it. Then 4Kids began airing the anime with the name change (because apparently nobody informed them that "Zorro" is in the public domain), and Viz reissued the previous volumes with the "corrections" and moved forward from there.

I know that, it doesn't make me any less angry

Yeah the first 2 Color Walks have been released in the US. Color Walk 1 is out of print sadly. I only have Color Walk 2 and it's simply gorgeous. I love flipping the through the pages and the quality is superb. If you are from the US (or want to import the English version), I'd recommend purchasing the artbook before it goes out of print.

I think the US OP editor said if CW2 sold well enough, they'd look into localizing the other Color Walks and databooks. I'll try looking up that quote. I'd really like to have them in English one of these days. Let's hope new fans come out of the Toonami airing.

EDIT: Here's the link and quote for anyone that's interested about the CW/Databooks and other Viz dealings
“Since other popular titles like Naruto and Bleach have seen their companion books released, could the databooks (Blue, Red, Yellow and Green) be published in English, especially after material from Blue had been previously collected in the monthly Shonen Jump magazine?”

We'd love to do it but it's a very challenging thing. Those types of books typically cost 4~5 times to produce and sell only about 1/4 of a regular volume. So unless the series is a big seller, it's typically not worth doing the companion books. We will be releasing Color Walk 2 at the end of 2011. If sales of that are strong, we will definitely see more companion books in the future

“Through websites like amazon.com, we have learned that Color Walk 2 has been solicited for a November 2011 release. Is this the last we’ll see of the Walks for a while or are more being planned for US distribution? Will the previous CW be reprinted since it’s been OOP for quite some time?"

As I said above, if they sell we'll do more. We'd love to release all the Color Walks and companion books, we just need to be assured that they will actually sell. Reprints are based on bookstores ordering the books. I have no knowledge about any plans for reprints but they are typically very difficult for art books. Art books are usually too expensive to reprint. So if you really want an art book, you should buy it immediately when it comes out. In most cases there will only be one printing.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

I've tried looking up the copyright status of Zorro. Apparently it's a grey area (maybe that's why they changed it). But I think it's more likely public domain.

As for why Viz won't change it back, they now claim it's to avoid confusion with the Zorro comics. Sounds like a bullshit excuse. Those special editions Kirsch promised can't come fast enough...

Yeah the first 2 Color Walks have been released in the US. Color Walk 1 is out of print sadly. I only have Color Walk 2 and it's simply gorgeous. I love flipping the through the pages and the quality is superb. If you are from the US (or want to import the English version), I'd recommend purchasing the artbook before it goes out of print.

I think the US OP editor said if CW2 sold well enough, they'd look into localizing the other Color Walks and databooks. I'll try looking up that quote. I'd really like to have them in English one of these days. Let's hope new fans come out of the Toonami airing.

Hopefully they reveal a color walk and such this year, dont think they have any artbook releases for this year. My two are feeling lonely, and Id like more Ace arts.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh man........

Tears :(

Kinda pissed me off that Usopp didn't take the mask off while Merry was being burned. I usually love Luffy's ability to be totally unaware of obvious things but him not knowing who Sogeking is is so fucking stupid. It actually made me mad. Otherwise when Merry started talking fuuuuuuuuck :(((((

Yep, there it is. Right there. I can suck it up and stare into the screen throughout that episode, but then comes
"But at least I was happy!"
and the eye fluid begins.

Meelow

Banned
On episode 194.

Really wanted to get a full picture of Skypiea before I commented on it, I really liked it, It was definitely my favorite part of One Piece so far, the Golden Bell rings were touching, and it's amazing how powerful Eneru is, and he's still fine after the fight.

demidar

It's an amazing scene, but I just can't into this Funimation dub.

I've been listening to the Straw Hats so long in Japanese, I just can't hear them as anything else without making a face.

It's not a BAD dub, though.

This is the same for me. I like the translated intros though, the ones sung by Vic.

Episodes 1-5
Ok, now I've officially started the series. I'd always jumped around famous scenes and eps, but now I want to finally watch it from beginning to end. A 600 ep series is intimidating though. When do people consider the series really picks up? Hoping my gf can get into it along the watch too.. Anyway the first 5 eps are generally entertaining so far. I still get horrid flashbacks though from watching the initial airing on 4kids, blech.

Moaradin

I've been listening to the Straw Hats so long in Japanese, I just can't hear them as anything else without making a face.

Complete opposite for me. I started with the Funimation dub and the jap voices feel pretty weird to me. I can't watch it without the Funimation voices.

Episodes 1-5
Ok, now I've officially started the series. I'd always jumped around famous scenes and eps, but now I want to finally watch it from beginning to end. A 600 ep series is intimidating though. When do people consider the series really picks up? Hoping my gf can get into it along the watch too.. Anyway the first 5 eps are generally entertaining so far. I still get horrid flashbacks though from watching the initial airing on 4kids, blech.

I'd say around 35 is when the show gets really good.

Soriku

Film Z stuff: Nami should have been kept as a little girl; same personality, same abilities, much cuter.

I like how the first shot of her in the movie just shows her boobs, then she puts her book down and her boobs bounce.

lol wut.

591 reasserts why Robin is my favorite Strawhat.

Although,
this episode was creepy as heck. I seriously gasped when I learned the children were on narcotics. That's awful! I really feel bad for them, and I usually don't sympathize with children characters in anime like that.

Soriku

OK, I finally got around to watching the whole of Film Z.

It was...very good, and pretty interesting but I thought it had a few minor issues, though they're kind dumb. Some thoughts:

-The mood was very different from usual One Piece IMO and it lended itself well to the story.

-What Aokiji said about
"if One Piece disappears, will pirates disappear?"
seemed very relevant to what'll happen at the end of this series. After all, when Luffy inevitably finds the One Piece, what happens to all the pirates then?
Do they just enjoy the adventuring and life at sea, or do a lot of them want to ultimately find One Piece, and when it's found will pirates (both current and future) lose their drive? That seemed like a very interesting point to bring up and I haven't really thought about it before.

-Actually it was awesome to see Aokiji again in general. Damn he lost his leg.

-Also Sengoku REALLY aged in 2 years lol.

-I wonder who was the Warlord that took Z's arm?

-The fights and clothes were awesome. Why was Zoro wearing glasses though lol.

-Z's backstory and his motivation is good.

-This is probably a dumb complaint, but it's something that's really common with this series; I really question why the Navy decides to send fodder Marines against dudes like Z. They're pretty much wasting away lives by doing that since no one but Vice Admirals and Admirals really stand a chance.

-Another complaint (kinda) is the whole "Z needs to find these three things and blow them up". The whole thing about there being a number of things that needs to be found or destroyed (like a seal) is so tropey. This is so common in JRPGs, and it even slips into anime. So when I heard that Z was trying to destroy the three End Points I was like, "really, again with this plot point?" It's just so typical.

-And once again, most of the crew just shows how useless they are when it comes to battles. During the very first fight with Z, Usopp and Brook did nothing. So much for that 2 years of training you guys did. Even Chopper, Franky, Nami, and Robin tried stuff though they're not even remotely comparable to Luffy/Sanji/Zoro. This crew should really be called "The Monster Trio & Friends". OK, well I will say they kicked ass at the end. But it's just against the regular fodder, as usual. Awesome that Franky can actually take on Pacifistas (with a robot) now though.

-No Aokiji vs. Z was lame :mad: What a cocktease. Come on, we never see these big players fight.

-WTF the clothes grew alongside their bodies at the end? That's bullshit! They took away from us dat Nami and Robin. Actually from 18->30 Robin looks like she barely aged.

-Kizaru is one cold fuck. He doesn't care in the slightest about killing Z, lol.

-Z's whole thing about justice reminded me a lot of Akainu. I'm not sure how similar I'd say they are though. It seems like Z had a different view of justice in the past than Akainu now, but in this movie they both seemed similar to me.

Btw, where does this Film take place in the timeline? After Fishman Island but before Punk Hazard?

Riposte

-This is probably a dumb complaint, but it's something that's really common with this series; I really question why the Navy decides to send fodder Marines against dudes like Z. They're pretty much wasting away lives by doing that since no one but Vice Admirals and Admirals really stand a chance.

This is a problem with One Piece in general. No real logic to how the world works.

I don't know how anyone can choose one single favourite One Piece scene. There are so many good ones! That Blackbeard speech ^ is a good scene. Blackbeard is an interesting character. It's hard to put a finger on him.

This is a problem with One Piece in general. No real logic to how the world works.

Yeah, definitely. There are so, so, so many illogical things in One Piece, and some of them bother me at times. You really need to learn to overlook logic things to really enjoy One Piece.

Jaroof

This didn't really bother me too much.
I guess it's because, in my mind, Kizaru was probably informed about Z from the get-go, but was pretty far away at the time.. so it took him some time to get there..
Even though he moves at the speed of light...
Hell, I dunno!
Stop thinking so much! Just enjoy it.

508 -
Franky you're an idiot
9DPx7P5.png

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
-What Aokiji said about
"if One Piece disappears, will pirates disappear?"
seemed very relevant to what'll happen at the end of this series. After all, when Luffy inevitably finds the One Piece, what happens to all the pirates then?
Do they just enjoy the adventuring and life at sea, or do a lot of them want to ultimately find One Piece, and when it's found will pirates (both current and future) lose their drive? That seemed like a very interesting point to bring up and I haven't really thought about it before.
This is why I'm convinced that the final chapter of One Piece will be Luffy
pulling a Gol D. Roger/Whitebeard and annoucing the continued existance of One Piece.

I like all the crew's voices. Even Franky's.

Except Luffy's. I really want to like the dub and obviously it will never replace the Japanese for myself, but I just don't understand that voice. Every serious moment ends up sounding like a joke to me.

This is probably a dumb complaint, but it's something that's really common with this series; I really question why the Navy decides to send fodder Marines against dudes like Z. They're pretty much wasting away lives by doing that since no one but Vice Admirals and Admirals really stand a chance.

It made sense since Z had a whole bunch of neo marines with him , you are also forgetting that Z attack a marine base so of course they have to defend there base but also buy time for a Admiral to get there .
If your talking about the end Kizaru get in a cheap shot but of course it was also done for the cool factor lol .
Don't forget that in the manga we know marines have bases all around so when something happens they have to try and stop it even if they weaker or they try to out number people or just buy time .
Also don't forget Enies lobby where they only send high guys after the SH so they don't always send fodder to there death .

And once again, most of the crew just shows how useless they are when it comes to battles. During the very first fight with Z, Usopp and Brook did nothing. So much for that 2 years of training you guys did. Even Chopper, Franky, Nami, and Robin tried stuff though they're not even remotely comparable to Luffy/Sanji/Zoro. This crew should really be called "The Monster Trio & Friends". OK, well I will say they kicked ass at the end. But it's just against the regular fodder, as usual. Awesome that Franky can actually take on Pacifistas (with a robot) now though.

This is the opposite view point in the same post only with the SH if the monster trio can't do anything Brook and Ussop stand no chance .
You don't expect the weaker guys to take on a admiral or certain high ranking marines or enemies even after the 2 year time skip so it best they just stay out the way .
With this also being a movie hard to do name villains for all of them .

pulling a Gol D. Roger/Whitebeard and annoucing the continued existance of One Piece.

That might happen but they still going to be pirates no matter what maybe just not as much .
They were load of pirates even before people knew about the OP they just get more afterwards .
Plus were already know that some pirates just about money , power or just doing what ever they want .
Still i expect the whole world to change and not just the pirates if we go by WB last words when OP gets found.

Side note i get to accustom to the Japanese VA so can't watch OP in anything else .

Soriku

This is the opposite view point in the same post only with the SH if the monster trio can't do anything Brook and Ussop stand no chance .
You don't expect the weaker guys to take on a admiral or certain high ranking marines or enemies even after the 2 year time skip so it best they just stay out the way .
With this also being a movie hard to do name villains for all of them .

The monster trio are the ones fighting the boss battles. Everyone else just fights waves of random encounters. Yeah I know they can't have everyone fighting the really strong guys, but they barely stood a chance against Ain and that ninja dude. And Usopp and Brook in the first fight just stood there. All this still happens in the regular series. Though I feel like Sanji and Zoro got a bigger role here than they usually do.

This is why Enies Lobby was good, everyone had their own boss battle. In Fishman Island that was slightly the case but not to the same extent. The problem is that the fights against regular marines are boring and most of the crew can't do anything else but fight those guys.

Wiseblade

No way that happens.

1) There were pirates before One Piece, there'll be pirates after.

2) The only reason One Piece exists is because Roger needed to motivate someone to travel the world, find out the true history and actually do something with that information.

The monster trio are the ones fighting the boss battles. Everyone else just fights waves of random encounters. Yeah I know they can't have everyone fighting the really strong guys, but they barely stood a chance against Ain and that ninja dude. And Usopp and Brook in the first fight just stood there. All this still happens in the regular series. Though I feel like Sanji and Zoro got a bigger role here than they usually do.

This is why Enies Lobby was good, everyone had their own boss battle. In Fishman Island that was slightly the case but not to the same extent. The problem is that the fights against regular marines are boring and most of the crew can't do anything else but fight those guys.

In FI everybody was fodder but most of them got into single fights expect Sanji , Nami and Robin .
Still they were boring because the SH just walk over them , truth is most of SH have not got into single battles since Enies lobby if you don't count FI which is a really damn long time .
I hope that gets taken care of in the current manga arc since lots of people around and i miss the other crew members fighting something other than fodder .

Soriku

In FI everybody was fodder but most of them got into single fights expect Sanji , Nami and Robin .
Still they were boring because the SH just walk over them , truth is the SH have not got into single battles since Enies lobby if you don't count FI which is a really damn long time .
I hope that gets taken care of in the current manga arc since lot of people around .

See, I'm the type of person who likes unconventional fights (like
Zoro vs Hody or Whitebeard vs Akainu or Law vs Smoker
) so the way the crew's fights are structured are just so...typical. So I'd like to see battle lineups change every now and then, so not just Luffy vs Big Bad, Zoro/Sanji vs commanders, and everyone else vs fodder.

See, I'm the type of person who likes unconventional fights (like
Zoro vs Hody or Whitebeard vs Akainu or Law vs Smoker
) so the way the crew's fights are structured are just so...typical. So I'd like to see battle lineups change every now and then, so not just Luffy vs Big Bad, Zoro/Sanji vs commanders, and everyone else vs fodder.

Oh i agree , just Oda has not done a arc like that in a long time .
He needs to have the other SH get into single battles because it has been years since we had Enies Lobby .
Hope the new arc does that but for movies i don't see most of the SH getting into single battles anymore unless they make movies longer .

EIDT i should mention that i don't know \ think your a manga reader but
Zoro vs Hody in manga was one page since he just one shot him they made Hody look stronger that he was .
Which is why some manga fans don't like it since it change just how strong Zoro really is , that fight was to show just how weak Hody was without his drugs .

Raxus

Oh i agree , just Oda has not done a arc like that in a long time .
He need to have the other SH get into single battles because it has been years since we had Enies Lobby .
Hope the new arc does that but for movies i don't see most of the SH getting into single battles unless they make them longer .

He is definitely planning something similar for
Big Mam
. Heck he already has introduced 5 characters which each can be a fight for the main crew. I saw a possibility for
Chopper(?), Sanji, Zoro(?), and Nami/Robin and of course
Luffy.

I am starving for a
Robin
fight. STARVING. The last time she really got her hands dirty was at Skypia and every fight since has hardly been a fight.

TrueBlue

Complete opposite for me. I started with the Funimation dub and the jap voices feel pretty weird to me. I can't watch it without the Funimation voices.

This is my view as well. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the Japanese voices, I'll just take a professional dub over it most of the time.

FYC

Banned

Uh, holy shit. What an awesome end to the fight.

Crocodile might be my favorite villain in a shounen ever. He's just fucking evil. I love him so much.

Meelow

Banned
Episodes 1-5

You remind me of me just a 1 month ago :D

Moaradin is right as well, it starts to get really good on episode 35+

The first 35 episodes you are trying to get used to it, the last anime I watched was Inuyasha so jumping to One Piece right after felt like a huge change.

Top Bottom