• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

One Piece came first so its Kai that's carrying over from OP* :p

*except for people like Sabat and Strait who were obviously in the original DBZ dub.

I know lol but DBZ Kai was on television on a easily watchable time slot before most people saw the Funi dub of One Piece. The only people who saw the Funi dub for the short time it was on television were people who were fans of the 4kids dub aka beyond help and hard core OP fans who were following it and knew the dubbing was switching.

zulux21

Again, the issue with the dub is that if you like it you won't be able to keep watching. You're missing out on so much stuff.

I just follow the sub on a weekly basis and watch the dub when it comes out to rewatch the series. both are well done so it's not hard at all to jump between the two

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I really like Sabat's Zoro. I still hear Krillin with Usopp but I think it's a good fit. I dunno about Luffy but he is shouting so much I'm not sure who would be a good fit. Seriously why does Luffy shout so much :/

Japanese Luffy shouts a lot too. Also shouting is part of the way Clinkenbeard distinguishes her "Luffy voice" from her "Riza Hawkeye voice" (though she's gotten a lot better at pulling out the Luffy voice without needing to shout).

I know lol but DBZ Kai was on television on a easily watchable time slot before most people saw the Funi dub of One Piece. The only people who saw the Funi dub for the short time it was on television were people who were fans of the 4kids dub aka beyond help and hard core OP fans who were following it and knew the dubbing was switching.
.... >.>

CrazyDude

I really like Sabat's Zoro. I still hear Krillin with Usopp but I think it's a good fit. I dunno about Luffy but he is shouting so much I'm not sure who would be a good fit. Seriously why does Luffy shout so much :/

Funny when you consider JP Krillin and Luffy are the same.

demidar

Japanese Luffy shouts a lot too. Also shouting is part of the way Clinkenbeard distinguishes her "Luffy voice" from her "Riza Hawkeye voice" (though she's gotten a lot better at pulling out the Luffy voice without needing to shout).

.... >.>

Isn't the Japanese VO for Luffy an old woman?

zulux21

Isn't the Japanese VO for Luffy an old woman?

0EaPpYU.jpg
you tell me :p
she is 58

Raxus

aka idiots.

Needless to say 4kids watchers missed out on huge chunks of story that would be important later. Not to mention their dubs are probably the nail to the coffin to anime in early 2000. It was all downhill from there.
Man these English dubs sound terrible
Funimation does a good job considering the limitations. Keep in mind Oda wrote several characters in the story BECAUSE of a voice actor. The 4kids one is awful. It. Never. Shuts. Up.

demidar

I'm just going to say it, I like the older One Piece art more, Luffy looks a lot more mature.

I'm not an anime scholar, but old One Piece looks similar to old animes, simple shapes, blurry sketchy lines. Whether I like it more I can't really say, I don't have a preference either way.

Kokonoe

Banned
Fixed that for you

lol. Well, that is a bonus, but even if it did have the blimps I do in fact like how mature the characters look.

I'm not an anime scholar, but old One Piece looks similar to old animes, simple shapes, blurry sketchy lines. Whether I like it more I can't really say, I don't have a preference either way.

I just like how it portrays more emotion and it's less babyface I suppose you could call it. Also the colors aren't always the brightest ones, it's not so 'shiny'.

demidar

I just like how it portrays more emotion and it's less babyface I suppose you could call it. Also the colors aren't always the brightest ones, it's not so 'shiny'.

Hmm, maybe. It's been a more than a few years since I plowed through the anime (though I've stopped now, can't stand how episodes are stretched to match one chapter).

I thought most of the SH's voices were great in the funi dubs. Sanji and Zoro in particular with Usopp and Chopper's feeling like they fit well too. Actually, all of them feel spot on besides Luffy. I can't remember if the dubbs reached Franky before I was forced to switch to subs but Zoro, Sanji, Usopp, Chopper, Robin, and Nami were all great. I hated most of their voices when I had to switch to subs but what are you going to do? Wait for Adult Swim to air them, apparently! Happy that I will be able to re-watch later episodes the way I prefer them, at last.

I don't understand why they always do this. First young Gohan and then Naruto and Luffy. So awful. I'm sure she's voiced plenty more characters over time. Probably chibi Goku in DB but I don't recall.

I thought most of the SH's voices were great in the funi dubs. Sanji and Zoro in particular with Usopp and Chopper's feeling like they fit well too. Actually, all of them feel spot on besides Luffy. I can't remember if the dubbs reached Franky before I was forced to switch to subs but Zoro, Sanji, Usopp, Chopper, Robin, and Nami were all great. I hated most of their voices when I had to switch to subs but what are you going to do? Wait for Adult Swim to air them, apparently! Happy that I will be able to re-watch later episodes the way I prefer them, at last.

In the game One Piece Unlimited Adventure I remember the VA Patrick Seitz voiced Franky in English. If I remember correctly his voice didn't fit Franky at all. Franky's voice sounds a lot more playful and a little bit less deep. If I also remember correctly it sounded weird when he did his "SUPER," and "OWW," noises.

I know this is a game but if they keep that VA for Franky for the future Funi dub then I may not enjoy that.
Here's how he sounds in the English game if anyone's curious. Btw SPOILER!!! For anyone who hasn't seen the Water 7 Arc.

My problem with the English dub isn't so much unfitting voices, more just...the actually acting part doesn't seem great. And I understand a lot of that is to do with having to fit with how the character's mouths are animated for Japanese, but a lot of it still just seems a bit half-hearted.

And yeah, I just looked up clips of Franky in the dub and that's how he sounds, Gintoki.

EDIT: Beaten like any bad doods Luffy meets

For the most part, I prefer the Funimation dub. I started with the original Japanese audio, but I just love the English dub. I guess I'm the only that really likes Colleen's Luffy, although I can't say which Luffy I prefer. Although I can say I much prefer dub Robin over her Japanese counterpart (especially when it comes to the Water Seven arc). I'm really liking dub Franky too. Funimation has done some excellent casting, imo. Love reading my volumes with their voices in mind.

Kokonoe

Banned
For the most part, I prefer the Funimation dub. I started with the original Japanese audio, but I just love the English dub. I guess I'm the only that really likes Colleen's Luffy, although I can't say which Luffy I prefer. Although I can say I much prefer dub Robin over her Japanese counterpart (especially when it comes to the Water Seven arc). I'm really liking dub Franky too. Funimation has done some excellent casting, imo. Love reading my volumes with their voices in mind.

I didn't like Gohan, but Colleen's Luffy is perfect. I especially agree about Robin, however. The right tone for Robin's personality.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
As someone that's watched the entire series in Japanese, I adore the English dub. It's a prime example of taking the material and doing it justice.
There's so much energy in the characters. Funny moments are funny, sad moments are sad, and everything fits together so well.
Compare to 4Kids, where they couldn't get anything right. The comedy tries waaay too hard, placing jokes in scenes that are NOT meant to be funny. The drama is so poorly performed due to terrible voice direction and the overall dialogue is just beyond immature. Take that scene posted earlier with Kuroobi calling Nami a "liar liar pants on fire", or the Yuba Hotel scene with Sanji making reference to "cooties".

If you can't find anything good about it, well... too bad.

Wow, I wouldn't have posted the One Piece's game Franky voice if I knew Funi got that far already. I don't keep up with the English dub since they take way too long to get past an arc (last time I remember looking up the DVD's I never saw them move far from where Toonami left off), but yeah that Franky voice doesn't stick with me. My worries had come true because that really is the VA from the game. He has way too deep of a voice.

TrueBlue

The only near passable thing about the 4kids dub was Zoro's voice. At least in my opinion, I thought the bloke did alright considering the script he was given.

EDIT: Luci Christian, Sonny Strait and Stephanie Young (Nami, Usopp and Robin respectively) are the best ones out of the Funi dub, imo. Rest of the Straw Hats are all fine. I guess you could say that some voices are too similar to their DBZ roles, but they're usually well acted enough for me to not care. Besides, it's kinda fun to close your eyes, listen to Sanji and Zoro bicker, and imagine it's Trunk and Vegeta/Piccolo instead.

Sonicbug

I don't understand why they always do this.

Because Japan told them to. Seriously. At least for One Piece they had to get all the Japanese creative team to sign off on their casting choices, and they also wanted the casting to sound 'within range' of the 4kids cast which probably had to go through the same process.

So, yeah. Japan.

On one of the commentaries on the DVD sets Eric Vale mentions that back in the early 2000's when Funimation first bid on One Piece he tried out for Luffy. So, that was a thing that could have happened.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Yeah, it'd be cool if they did something totally wacky and got a dude to voice Luffy.

I don't understand why they always do this. First young Gohan and then Naruto and Luffy. So awful. I'm sure she's voiced plenty more characters over time. Probably chibi Goku in DB but I don't recall.
Colleen Clinkenbeard only voiced Luffy and Gohan (Kai dub only). Otherwise she mostly does older female roles. Gohan (original DBZ dub) was done by Stephanie Nadolny and Naruto is Maile Flanagan.

And the reason they use older females to voice them is because they generally try to match the original Japanese voice (unless the example is really ridiculous like Goku's japanese voice). A male voice actor would be too deep and a child would quickly grow out of the role. Therefore they use older women. And this is pretty much the norm for every young boy in a cartoon

3S2Nbb7.jpg

Wow, I wouldn't have posted the One Piece's game Franky voice if I knew Funi got that far already. I don't keep up with the English dub since they take way too long to get past an arc (last time I remember looking up the DVD's I never saw them move far from where Toonami left off), but yeah that Franky voice doesn't stick with me. My worries had come true because that really is the VA from the game. He has way too deep of a voice.
Franky's character is inspired by being an "american gangster". Therefore Patrick Seitz voices him as such. Kazuki Yao's voice is too weird to properly emulate in english and I'm glad they didn't (it wouldn't have worked at all, imo).

Also, as an aside, but Kazuki Yao is a sucky voice actor. He has no range and all his characters sound the same. He IS Franky, but only because Oda designed him as such.

JPN Robin sounds like an seasoned citizen, and Franky is alright. I dont think I thought any of the characters in english sound that bad or what not. Luffy did take awhile getting used to initially but after 20 something episodes its good. Ace, Sanji, Zoro have fantastic voices too.

584 -
Hah, Smoker smoking cigars with a gas mask on? How does that even work. Interesting to see Brownbeard again. He has only been in the story a few times before right? Once in the chapter stories (maybe only the manga, not sure) and once after the grand battle, taking over one of Whitebeard's former territories I think. Also interesting to see Trafalgar. I already knew he would be in here, the names of the episodes and such gave it away, but I really didn't expect him to be one of the Seven Warlords.

So speaking of Seven Warlords, one thing I've been wondering is (not really spoiler since it hasn't happen (I think) but just in case)
why has Luffy never been asked to join the Seven Warlords? It makes sense because he's strong, has no real grudge on the Navy and his grand-father is also in the Navy. He probably don't want to be one of the Seven Warlords, but I don't get why they don't even ask.

Top Bottom