• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Meelow

Banned
For people keeping up with the Funimation dub: I know that Funimation skipped ending 14 and replaced it with 15, but are they skipping any others? Looking at how much they've dubbed so far, they seemed to have reached ending 16 a while ago.

From what some people are saying here, Funimation seems to be having problems of securing "Hands Up" which is Opening 16, so they MIGHT have to stick with "We Go" until the 17th Opening.

Off that topic, on episode 229, I have a feeling that Ace will be fighting Aokiji since Ace has fire powers and Aokiji has Ice.

And I am finally getting to the "amazing Water 7" I keep hearing about, from what I can tell in Opening 5 the town looks awesome! I like the design of it, I hear great things so I am expecting amazing episodes from it lol.

And I'm guessing that's where they meet Franky :D

From what some people are saying here, Funimation seems to be having problems of securing "Hands Up" which is Opening 16, so they MIGHT have to stick with "We Go" until the 17th Opening.

Off that topic, on episode 229, I have a feeling that Ace will be fighting Aokiji since Ace has fire powers and Aokiji has Ice.

And I am finally getting to the "amazing Water 7" I keep hearing about, from what I can tell in Opening 5 the town looks awesome! I like the design of it, I hear great things so I am expecting amazing episodes from it lol.

Um, I'm not talking about Hands up (opening 16). I'm talking about Dear Friends (ending 16). =/

Jigolo

The feels, again

Acid08

Banned

Water 7 is really good. Like, really good.

593 -
Luffy Law alliance? I am so up for that shit. Hells yes. I'm guessing they'll be taking down Big Mum, since, you know, Luffy's already been all "Yeah fuck you" to her >_>

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oh for fuck's sake...
Hard truth time: If they made Franky's dub voice exactly like his Japanese voice, IT WOULD BE TERRIBLE!

Kazuki Yao's whine would sound awful in English. He's supposed to be a tough sounding gangster, that was his lifestyle in Water Seven.

Meelow

Banned
Water 7 is really good. Like, really good.

Yeah, it's really cool so far.

On Episode 232, Water 7 is obviously based off Venice which I love, I'm really just getting started with Water 7 and I'm excited to see how awesome it can get, also I'm guessing we'll start hearing about Robin's past soon since Aokiji said a few things about her past and the CP9 and her obviously have a past together.

A few small notices is that guy with the almost Usopp nose lol, it's funny when everyone's like "Usopp?".

I'm watching 3 episodes a day now where I used to watch 6 episodes a day, but I'm only doing that till the Funimation dub ends for a few months, I want to make it to May 14th without waiting too long, since episode 253 already aired and 254-263 air on the 14th, after that I'll switch over to the Japanese dub and when episodes 264-336 air in the Summer time I'll go back tot hat, so I'll be going back to forth between dubs lol.

When I get home ill try to voice what franky should sound like. He sounds like fucking hercule right now

I'm scared now, I haven't heard Franky's voice yet on either the Funimation or Japanese dub (I'm trying to avoid it since I already saw what he looks like).

Is his dub really that bad? Or are some people just exaggerating?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm scared now, I haven't heard Franky's voice yet on either the Funimation or Japanese sub (I'm trying to avoid it since I already saw what he looks like).

Is his dub really that bad? Or are some people just exaggerating?

People are exaggerating. He sounds good. They're just so used to hearing his Japanese voice for years.

Jarate

Banned
Its not awful, but they did such a good job of fitting VAs to their japanese counterparts that its just offsetting that Frankys voice is so much different

I0n0HPW.jpg

One Piece 594: Formation! The Luffy-Law Pirate Alliance!

One Piece 595 Preview:

The very best. (if we're including Enies Lobby)

Funnily enough, Franky's dub voice is almost exactly how I expected him to sound like when I first saw the character. But after hearing the JP VA I can't imagine him having any different voice :p

Also, here's the first One Piece Toonami promo!

I got chills listening to that, hopefully this is the much needed boost that One Piece needs for American audiences to finally appreciate it the way they do Naruto/Bleach

Meelow

Banned
Its not awful, but they did such a good job of fitting VAs to their japanese counterparts that its just offsetting that Frankys voice is so much different

I'm starting to want to take a sneak peak at Franky's Japanese voice, just so when I get to Franky in the Funimation dub I will get to compare.

I don't know though, what do you think?

I'm starting to want to take a sneak peak at Franky's Japanese voice, just so when I get to Franky in the Funimation dub I will get to compare.

I don't know though, what do you think?

If you've watched the English DUB the whole way though just stick with it, no reason to start listening to Japanese voices now it'll just throw you off.

Meelow

Banned
If you've watched the English DUB the whole way though just stick with it, no reason to start listening to Japanese voices now it'll just throw you off.

Ah no, I mean should I just take a small glimpse at what Franky's Japanese voice just so I could compare the Funimation dub with the Japanese dub, I already heard all of the Japanese voices of the all the Strawhats since I watched all the movies up until Movie 7.

And I'm going to have to switch soon to the Japanese dub anyway :)

Thanks for this. Brings joy to my heart after wanting it back after so many years. Once I caught up to the point where they were on Toonami, I started to tune in, only for it to be on the final episode before cancellation. :(

I remember I had it on my DVR (Will never forget Luffy saying "Enter King Eneru! Farewell to the Survivors!") and I would always watch it from time to time just to have OP Toonami etched in memory. I'm tuning into its new Toonami run no doubt; finally gonna be able to watch One Piece episodes in HD!

Yep Oda made Franky the way he is because of the voice actor since he like him so much when he was Mr.2 if i remember right .

Soriku

"Huh? Are you gonna betray me?"

"No."

loooooool. If only it were always that simple.

Law got punk'd this episode.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ah no, I mean should I just take a small glimpse at what Franky's Japanese voice just so I could compare the Funimation dub with the Japanese dub, I already heard all of the Japanese voices of the all the Strawhats since I watched all the movies up until Movie 7.

And I'm going to have to switch soon to the Japanese dub anyway :)

You're literally about to reach Franky where you are anyway (like in the next episode or something).

Acid08

Banned
Aw man I LOVE all the character designs in Thriller Bark. The tone is perfectly light so far after coming out of Enies Lobby.

Meelow

Banned
You're literally about to reach Franky where you are anyway (like in the next episode or something).

It's too late lol, I couldn't stop myself so I just heard Franky's Japanese dub just for a little bit, it's very good, really like it, now I'll be able to compare the Japanese and English dub.

Also I went to Movie 9 to hear his voice, not a future episode, since I know Movie 9 is just a remake about getting Chopper I didn't spoil finding a scene with him (skipped to 20 minutes in the movie so I wouldn't see any possible new spoilers).

Can't wait to hear the Funimation voice of him.

Acid08

Banned
Okay I was all ready to post that Robin keeps using that exact same powers and its getting boring. Then she
grows fucking wings
and it blew my mind.

What's Toonami?

I am loving Thriller Bark so far. So silly.

One of the absolute best arcs. The best part of it is early on;
when Nami, Usopp and Chopper enter the island and all kinds of stuff happen. They're weak and can't attack anyone, so it feels like a good horror film.
. The arc has it all; atmosphere, laughs, epic battles, tears and finally some good ol' (end-arc spoiler)
Seven Warlords

I don't have Cartoon Network and have no idea what Adult Swim is.

No one has answered my question yet, so I assume Toonami is something very few know of?

LonelyGreyWolf say what? Toonami is an American animation block that airs various animes and American cartoons. It's quite popular, actually. What a weird thing to assume just because someone hasn't responded to you. Currently it airs Saturday nights on the Adult Swim block of Cartoon Network, an American channel dedicated to cartoons. Some of the shows currently on the block include: Bleach, Naruto, Soul Eater, Eureka Seven and starting on May 18th, One Piece.

Wikipedia seems to have a pretty hefty article on it. I should have just went there in the first place. So it's a programming block, huh? Sounds pretty good. Haha @789shadow just assuming that I'm from the US :)

I don't have Cartoon Network and have no idea what Adult Swim is.

No one has answered my question yet, so I assume Toonami is something very few know of?

It was a programming block on cartoon network several years ago. It was every weekday afternoon for years, then moved to saturday evenings. It was themed around action cartoons, which was memorable for tons of us as little kids because most shows were comedies. A lot of its shows were anime- most American kids in the past 2 decades wouldn't know about franchises like dragonball or gundam without it. I don't know the ratings because I didn't give a shit about the business side of entertainment as a little kid, but basically all my friends in elementary school and early middle school watched it as often as possible.

Toonami featured a cgi robot named TOM that did little segments during commercials and in-between shows. Those segments and the shows with action sequences and continuity (which most cartoons lack) made for a really clear distinction between the block and the rest of television in the minds of us kids. Most cartoons just happened to appear on tv whenever, but those serialized shows got us hyped.

Adult swim is the branding that cartoon network uses for the shows it plays late at night that have a slightly older demographic than its normal stuff. I think they're a pseudo-independent thing that just happens to share the channel during the hours when cartoon network has no hope of attracting a meaningful number of children.

It plays a mix of low-budget comedies (and in the past, syndicated family guy and futurama reruns) with the occasional anime. For a while their saturday night lineup was almost pure anime and basically felt like toonami with a slightly older target audience and no TOM segments. A lot of us same kids wound up watching these new shows religiously, too.

As an april fool's day "joke" a couple years ago, they turned themselves into toonami for the night because a massive portion of their young-adult audience has nostalgia for watching the block as kids: they brought back more anime, which I believe had been gone for a while as ratings slipped. They used the TOM cgi segments. The response on the internet was so overwhelmingly positive that adult swim turned their saturday nights into toonami indefinitely. The ratings apparently were amazing (by the standards of that timeslot) and they're still doing it. I think it's still getting good ratings, and they are showing no signs of stopping. They've also taken to blending newer shows into the mix instead of relying purely on nostalgia like the original april fool's day event did.

I don't know why I took the time to type that much.

You got such evasive answers out of sheer disbelief. If you were a kid during any of the years that it aired, the odds were amazing that either you watched some of it yourself, or your friends subjected you to conversations about it.

Top Bottom