• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
584 -
Hah, Smoker smoking cigars with a gas mask on? How does that even work. Interesting to see Brownbeard again. He has only been in the story a few times before right? Once in the chapter stories (maybe only the manga, not sure) and once after the grand battle, taking over one of Whitebeard's former territories I think. Also interesting to see Trafalgar. I already knew he would be in here, the names of the episodes and such gave it away, but I really didn't expect him to be one of the Seven Warlords.

So speaking of Seven Warlords, one thing I've been wondering is (not really spoiler since it hasn't happen (I think) but just in case)
why has Luffy never been asked to join the Seven Warlords? It makes sense because he's strong, has no real grudge on the Navy and his grand-father is also in the Navy. He probably don't want to be one of the Seven Warlords, but I don't get why they don't even ask.
Luffy is just flat out too antagonistic to the World Gov't., and even if they wanted to, the Celestial Dragons would never allow it after Sabaody. The people they do pick to be Warlords at least pretend like they're going to play ball every now and then (even if they ultimately turn out to be bad ideas), but not Luffy.

Simply put, he's far too dangerous.

Luffy is just flat out too antagonistic to the World Gov't., and even if they wanted to, the Celestial Dragons would never allow it after Sabaody. The people they do pick to be Warlords at least pretend like they're going to play ball every now and then (even if they ultimately turn out to be bad ideas), but not Luffy.

Hmm, sure, but do the Celestial Dragons really have a say in it? I doubt they're fond of Trafalgar either -- he was there with Luffy and Kidd. He may not have attacked the Celestial Dragons, but I'm sure they view him as part of the problem.

----------

586 -
What's the matter with Smoker? Why doesn't he even try to attack Trafalgar? He just stands still and watches while Trafalgar destroy their ship and defeat Smoker's men.

demidar

Not to mention he declared war on the World Government by burning their flag during Enies Lobby.

587-589 -
This is turning out to be a really interesting arc. I'm quite disappointed at how weak Smoker is though, and some things doesn't make much sense. The villain is really interesting. Also I'm curious to learn why Trafalgar is there.

Meelow

Banned
On episode 221, Those Foxy Pirates lol, I read a post on this thread saying that
the Foxy Pirates aren't done with yet, so it will be interesting to see if they come back.

Also Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, and Chopper losing they're memories, It's always interesting to see Nami in the way she used to be.

On episode 221, Those Foxy Pirates lol, I read a post on this thread saying that
the Foxy Pirates aren't done with yet, so it will be interesting to see if they come back.

Also Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, and Chopper losing they're memories, It's always interesting to see Nami in the way she used to be.

I'm always surprised how much the dream mist arc gets hated on by fans. Yeah it's filler but I enjoyed an arc where we got to see the characters all acting how they were first introduced while having Robin the former villain be the one who's forced to reunite them

Meelow

Banned
I'm always surprised how much the dream mist arc gets hated on by fans. Yeah it's filler but I enjoyed an arc where we got to see the characters all acting how they were first introduced while having Robin the former villain be the one who's forced to reunite them

Yeah it is a filler but I agree, I like it so far. And it's always nice to see Zoro and Sanji not hating on each other like usual lol.

But it is nice to see how much Robin has also changed since the Alabasta Arc, but than again she was always good, just not at the right place at the right time, she did save Luffy.

Did Luffy make his hat bigger during the time skip? Thing looks huge now. Or is that just Oda's style changing?

Art evolution, like Nami's breast :p

And Buggy is OP's Mr Satan in the sense that nobody takes him seriously with any real power but everyone without real power (or a brain) thinks he's great. Though at this point in the story he's kind of dangerous simply due to how many powerful pirates have rallied under him.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Did Luffy make his hat bigger during the time skip? Thing looks huge now. Or is that just Oda's style changing?

There was a time (during Jaya & Skypiea) where his hat looked really small. Though that may have just been the anime.

And Buggy is OP's Mr Satan in the sense that nobody takes him seriously with any real power but everyone without real power (or a brain) thinks he's great. Though at this point in the story he's kind of dangerous simply due to how many powerful pirates have rallied under him.

Yep. While informed people know he's a joke (Luffy, Galdino, Shanks, other big names at the war), most people see him as a major powerhouse since he was in Roger's crew and now he's a bigger threat since he won the graces of many powerful prisoners.
That's why the WG made him a Warlord, to keep him in check.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There was a time (during Jaya & Skypiea) where his hat looked really small. Though that may have just been the anime.

Yep. While informed people know he's a joke (Luffy, Galdino, Shanks, other big names at the war), most people see him as a major powerhouse since he was in Roger's crew and now he's a bigger threat since he won the graces of many powerful prisoners.
That's why the WG made him a Warlord, to keep him in check.

The fact is due to his crew of prisoners from Impel Down (ranging from the weak lvl1 guys to lvl5 superbadasses) Buggy can be pretty dangerous. Can't have him going off and pulling an Arlong somewhere in the Grand Line.

Moaradin

How often is canon material mixed in with filler? I just watched episode 101-102 and they
had Ace leaving the Strawhats and giving Luffy the paper during the filler.
Makes me not want to skip any of the filler even if they aren't very interesting so I don't miss anything important.

aechris

This thread sucks sometimes for spoilers that you expect to be safe because the content seems like it would be anime only, only to drop some big manga reveal without warning. :(

Seda

How often is canon material mixed in with filler? I just watched episode 101-102 and they
Makes me not want to skip any of the filler even if they aren't very interesting so I don't miss anything important.

I was wondering about this exact same thing as well. That episode seems to be considered filler but that event makes it seem semi canonical.
As in, why did Ace leave in the manga? Or did he come along to Alabasta at all in the manga?

Steroyd

You could probably say the same thing with Mr Satan and Chubby Majin Buu.

BatDan

I was wondering about this exact same thing as well. That episode seems to be considered filler but that event makes it seem semi canonical.
As in, why did Ace leave in the manga? Or did he come along to Alabasta at all in the manga?

In the manga,
he left much earlier. He never went into the desert with the crew, his last scene was when he blew up all those Baroque Works ships with a single attack. He gave Luffy the paper when he stopped by Merry. The reason he stuck around in the anime is that he was massively popular.

The only two situations I can think of are that one and the explanation of the calm belt in the Apis arc.

Seda

In the manga,
he left much earlier. He never went into the desert with the crew, his last scene was when he blew up all those Baroque Works ships with a single attack. He gave Luffy the paper when he stopped by Merry. The reason he stuck around in the anime is that he was massively popular.

That's pretty much exactly what I figured it was.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The only two situations I can think of are that one and the explanation of the calm belt in the Apis arc.

Also entry into the Grand Line at the end of the Apis Arc. That's about it, though.

It's more the other way around now, where canon episodes get some filler material sprinkled in.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
This thread sucks sometimes for spoilers that you expect to be safe because the content seems like it would be anime only, only to drop some big manga reveal without warning. :(
There shouldn't be any manga spoilers. Some people are just being naughty!

Also entry into the Grand Line at the end of the Apis Arc. That's about it, though.

It's more the other way around now, where canon episodes get some filler material sprinkled in.
Also Aokiji's appearance at the end of the Foxy's Return arc.

Just saw 593 and now I realize that I've caught up. There are no more episodes T_T

Does anyone here read the manga? Anyone know how far ahead the manga is? Personally I prefer the manga over the anime, but reading manga on a computer screen doesn't quite sit right with me. It might sound stupid, but reading manga on a computer screen feels like it removes half the experience for me. But I'm quite eager to see what happens next. If the manga is only a little further then the anime then I'll probably wait, but if it's quite a bit further then I might just have to start reading the manga instead.

Raxus

Just saw 593 and now I realize that I've caught up. There are no more episodes T_T

Does anyone here read the manga? Anyone know how far ahead the manga is? Personally I prefer the manga over the anime, but reading manga on a computer screen doesn't quite sit right with me. It might sound stupid, but reading manga on a computer screen feels like it removes half the experience for me. But I'm quite eager to see what happens next. If the manga is only a little further then the anime then I'll probably wait, but if it's quite a bit further then I might just have to start reading the manga instead.

The manga is about an arc ahead. I can't answer the rest of your question though sorry.

Assuming the 1:1 pacing holds firm and there is no filler/recap episodes/arcs added the anime is currently 40 chapters/episodes behind the manga. Honestly if I were you I'd recommend just reading and catching up on the manga so you can post in the manga thread. There are very few people who only watched the subbed anime who you can discuss new developments with each week where as there are tons for each new chapter.

Meelow

Banned
On episode 225, will watch Movie 6 tomorrow.

I liked how they saw they're pasts (friends and enemy's) and I wondered why they never asked why a Seahorse wants to be a
dragon.

Also lol at Sanji's comment "I wonder if a Lapdance would be out of the question?"

I hear you can read mangas on ibook readers. I have no idea how well that works though

SykoTech

Indeed. That's why I stopped highlighting spoilers, except from the ones from people going through the series for the first time.

There shouldn't be any manga spoilers in here, as stated by the OP. But if people absolutely must post them for some reason, they should clearly label them Manga Spoiler beforehand. Simply putting up spoiler tags without indicating what they are isn't enough.

Meelow

Banned
Just watched movie 6, wasn't a big fan of the artstyle but wow the story was probably the best out of all the movies, it's was more darker than the rest of the movies as well and the episodes.

Overall I really liked it!

Tenrius

Hmm, maybe I'll start reading the manga on my PC then. It's crazy how long it takes for the official volumes to come out.

At least they do come out where you live, unlike here. They released only four volumes so far, and it's unclear whether the fifth one is coming at all due to some sort of publishing rights transfer. It's been half a year since the last volume came out already. I think I'll import the UK/US edition at some point, since I absolutely dislike reading from a computer screen and prefer reading in English anyway.

BatDan

With shonen jump alpha having all its series same time release as Japan volumes should be released closer to the Japanese release dates

I don't think that will happen. Viz likes to stay three volumes behind the current Japanese volumes.
They do kind of sort of make up for it by releasing the latest English volume the same day as the Japanese volume. Volume 67 is coming out June 4th, the same as Volume 70 in Japan.

Kokonoe

Banned
I may start reading the Manga before I run out of anime episodes as ever since around the 300s and higher the art quality has been awful and makes watching a nuisance.

For people keeping up with the Funimation dub: I know that Funimation skipped ending 14 and replaced it with 15, but are they skipping any others? Looking at how much they've dubbed so far, they seemed to have reached ending 16 a while ago.

zulux21

Hmm. I'm going to need a similar stupidly long anime to watch soon. I'm up to 580 already :C

I find detective conan fun to follow. It's got even more eps than one piece and is great to watch in small chunks.

Plus if you look around a find the cut to manga version (naruto also has this) you don't have to worry about filler eps.

of course if you are crazy you could try to locate Doraemon
it has a 26 episode first season.
a 1787 episode second season
and an ongoing 275+ episode third season, but there are barely any episodes subtitled.

Top Bottom