• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

^ Thanks. I've read most of that on Wikipedia already, but your wrote some interesting details. Also, what's with everyone thinking that I'm American? I told you, Toonami doesn't exist here. NeoGAF is a multi-national forum. Loads of users on GAF are from Europe and Australia.

I'm not sure what are considered good ratings for the 12AM-6AM Saturday Night/Sunday Morning slot, but Bleach, Naruto, and Soul Eater all get over 1 million views.

Was Toonami ever an actual channel in America? It used to be a block for us (UK), then got turned into a full channel for anime and action cartoons and stuff. Then got destroyed, which sucks :C

Also, Thriller Bark was probably my least favourite canon arc. I dunno, it was just a bit boring to me. Thought I don't really remember Skypeia that well, so that might be worse, given what everyone else thought of it. I did like the whole impact dials thing.
What happened to those by the way? I liked inventor Usopp with those things, the whole post-timeskip plant shooty power stuff isn't as cool I don't think

Episode 139 of my marathon to catch up with Toonami before May 18th. All this filler after Albasta is really taking the wind out of my sails. *badum tish*

789shadow

Banned
Episode 139 of my marathon to catch up with Toonami before May 18th. All this filler after Albasta is really taking the wind out of my sails. *badum tish*
Just power through it, although many people consider the long saga after to be a low-er point of the show. I think it's just fine.

Wait, which long saga? Skypiea? Also, today is Luffy's birthday.

The Skypiea Saga is still good, it just doesn't compare to the awesome of what came before (Baroque Works Saga) and the epic that comes after (CP9 Saga). Of the two canon arcs I'd say Jaya introduced a lot of new characters that will play an impact later on in the story, Skypiea is more of a fun adventure.

Also, Thriller Bark was probably my least favourite canon arc. I dunno, it was just a bit boring to me. Thought I don't really remember Skypeia that well, so that might be worse, given what everyone else thought of it. I did like the whole impact dials thing.
What happened to those by the way? I liked inventor Usopp with those things, the whole post-timeskip plant shooty power stuff isn't as cool I don't think

Did you watch Thriller Bark or read it? The manga version of the arc was better paced from what I've seen. It's way better than Skypeia in my opinion. I sort of agree with your spoiler too. That's a really good question. The dials are incredibly useful anyway.

Sorry, I didn't even know Toonami never made it outside of the US, but I guess that should have been obvious.

It might have been in the UK as well -- I'm not sure. It could have been in several countries, but I'm certain there are many European countries where Toonami has never existed.

Watching the water 7 Funi dub. Just got to the sniper king aka sogeking reveal ep. The dub version of his song is just as funny.

So glad funimation has a plethora of voice talent doing justice.

Meelow

Banned
On episode 237, wow just wow.

I don't really know what to say to this,
Luffy and Usopp fighting was probably the most saddest part of One piece so far, and Usopp put up a good fight, better than what I thought he would, When Sanji says "he's not part of our crew anymore" it would punch you as a One Piece fan.

Also Franky's voice isn't bad.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Any reason you call it the weekly shonen jump thread as opposed to just manga OT or something of that nature?

Because that's actually what it used to be called and I only corrected the link, not the actual text. I guess I'll go back for that too later

ffdgh

Laws wtf faces translated well from the manga. They're so hilarious
KuGsj.gif

@Meelow - Your post is full of spoilers. You spoiler mark your text but keep your pictures, and the pictures are pretty much the same thing as your text.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
You underestimate people. We're capable of adding 1 + 1 -- trust me.

These events are YEARS OLD. Literally 100% of the text in this thread will be have to be spoilered if "events from the anime" cannot be discussed freely. Absolutely nothing in Meelow's post was inappropriate, except maybe that he had spoiler tags in the first place.

These events are YEARS OLD. Literally 100% of the text in this thread will be have to be spoilered if "events from the anime" cannot be discussed freely. Absolutely nothing in Meelow's post was inappropriate, except maybe that he had spoiler tags in the first place.

Hmm? Yeah I never said anything opposing to that. The events are years old indeed, and I never said anything about his post being inappropriate. You missed the point by a long shot.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Hmm? Yeah I never said anything opposing to that. The events are years old indeed, and I never said anything about his post being inappropriate. You missed the point by a long shot.

Eh? You said "your post is full of spoilers," and go on to talk about how you (and others) can "put 1+1 together." As if his post was, indeed, "spoiling things," and things should not be spoiled. If I am missing the point, I hardly think I can be blamed for it! Was your intent merely to observe and describe facts, as opposed to ascribe value to them?

"Your post contains text."

[Edit] Or maybe it was just "you seem to want to not spoil things, I infer this from your tags, but your images defeat your intent." Not that you, personally, care about whether the spoilers are marked. Though your 1+1 seemed to imply otherwise.

Eh? You said "your post is full of spoilers," and go on to talk about how you (and others) can "put 1+1 together." As if his post was, indeed, "spoiling things," and things should not be spoiled. If I am missing the point, I hardly think I can be blamed for it! Was your intent merely to observe and describe facts, as opposed to ascribe value to them?

"Your post contains text."

Well, mostly it was to point out the contradiction in spoiler marking the text while keeping the images -- which describe the exact same thing -- in. And nonetheless, implying that I said it was "inappropriate" is quite a ridiculous exaggeration. I don't care that he posted the images because the events are years old! But he obviously didn't want to spoil anyone, lest he wouldn't have spoiler-marked the text. And finally it seems like a lot of people are going through the anime and they might not want to get spoiled -- that's why I always use spoiler-marks, but I never force anyone else to use them. I don't know what the policy is in this thread.

That's all, really.

Moaradin

Finally got to the third OP. The second one lasted way too long. This one is miles better at least.

Too bad there is a major spoiler in it.

Meelow

Banned
I didn't mean to cause a war or anything lol.

Anyway, on episode 241, again, wow just wow.

First Usopp leaves, and now Robin, Water 7 has just been bad luck for them, but I do agree that this is the best arc yet, it's has the dramatic moments, and the fun moments.

And I don't have a full opinion about Franky yet, soon I probably will though.

Acid08

Banned

First Usopp leaves, and now Robin, Water 7 has just been bad luck for them, but I do agree that this is the best arc yet, it's has the dramatic moments, and the fun moments.

SUPER!!!!!!

That's all I have to say.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's going to get really SUUUUUUUUPPPEEEEERRRRRRRR!

Maron

Oh for fuck's sake...
Hard truth time: If they made Franky's dub voice exactly like his Japanese voice, IT WOULD BE TERRIBLE!

Kazuki Yao's whine would sound awful in English. He's supposed to be a tough sounding gangster, that was his lifestyle in Water Seven.

I love his Japanese voice but I gotta agree. I don't think that would translate well to English. I think Seitz has been doing a great job.

The only thought about Franky is

SUUUUUPEEEEER!

Finally got to the third OP. The second one lasted way too long. This one is miles better at least.

Too bad there is a major spoiler in it.

Right?

Apparently, the original speculation from the manga was that Vivi was going to be the one to join after Arabasta. When it turned out to be Robin, it threw everybody for a loop. With the third opening just telling you that happens, it sucks for people who honestly had no idea.

I had no idea (as most people didn't), and I felt super cheated when I saw opening three way back then. I forgave it though, cause opening three is my favorite one.

Just watched the newest episode. Holy shit. Law's what face is seriously the best thing. I think it's the first time I've properly laughed at OP since the Sogeking intro. Good lord.

Acid08

Banned
Hoooooly shit, Laboon was abandoned by
Brook's crew! What a great way to tie things together. That's legit awesome

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hoooooly shit, Laboon was abandoned by
Brook's crew! What a great way to tie things together. That's legit awesome

Fun fact:
Brook was a planned character basically right from the start, and that he was to be a skeleton musician and tied into Laboon's story was already set by the time the crew got to Laboon. He even began working on Bink's Sake then, which took about a year to finalize. Brook didn't ACTUALLY show up for something like 7 or 8 years after that. Things "took longer than expected."

Oda has had almost everything big in terms of plot planned out pretty much from the beginning (including the ending of the series), but a lot of the minutiae seems to fill itself in as he goes.

Oda has had almost everything big in terms of plot planned out pretty much from the beginning (including the ending of the series), but a lot of the minutiae seems to fill itself in as he goes.

I've noticed this too in my short time watching One Piece. At first I was so confused by the constant bombardment of information that the show was throwing at me, but then I started noticing that it all made sense in the end. Now I just trust that everything will be wrapped up nicely at the end no matter how confusing it seems. Haven't been let down since.

Speaking of ^ that guy (time-skip spoiler)
why didn't Brook visit Laboon during those two years and how did he do a "world-tour"? How does that even work in this sea?

Speaking of ^ that guy (time-skip spoiler)
why didn't Brook visit Laboon during those two years and how did he do a "world-tour"? How does that even work in this sea?
I don't think he really had a choice in his destinations. His long-arm tribe mangers were pretty big douche bags, so I'm sure they had everything plotted out and didn't let Brook have any say.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've noticed this too in my short time watching One Piece. At first I was so confused by the constant bombardment of information that the show was throwing at me, but then I started noticing that it all made sense in the end. Now I just trust that everything will be wrapped up nicely at the end no matter how confusing it seems. Haven't been let down since.

Pretty much.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Fun fact:
Brook was a planned character basically right from the start, and that he was to be a skeleton musician and tied into Laboon's story was already set by the time the crew got to Laboon. He even began working on Bink's Sake then, which took about a year to finalize. Brook didn't ACTUALLY show up for something like 7 or 8 years after that. Things "took longer than expected."

What's funny is that people suspected Oda introduced
Brook
as a way to tie Laboon into the story after 4Kids made the "brilliant" decision of cutting out the Laboon episodes.

To be fair Oda had more or less 7 of the 9 straw hat's more or less planned out from the very beginning. If you look at his earliest sketches you can see prototypes of Brook and Chopper and Usopp all more or less the same but designed differently. Franky and Robin are the only two who were planned to be completely different, Robin was supposed to be a plant loving male and Franky was a midget carpenter.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110710220617/onepiece/images/e/ef/Early_Crew.png

Top Bottom