• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

To be fair Oda had more or less 7 of the 9 straw hat's more or less planned out from the very beginning. If you look at his earliest sketches you can see prototypes of Brook and Chopper and Usopp all more or less the same but designed differently. Franky and Robin are the only two who were planned to be completely different, Robin was supposed to be a plant loving male and Franky was a midget carpenter.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110710220617/onepiece/images/e/ef/Early_Crew.png

lol I'm glad he went with what he did. Tiny carpenter and plant loving male are nowhere near as cool as Franky and Robin.

Meelow

Banned
On episode 248.

Ok wow, a lot has happened.

Some of the members of the Galley Law is part of the World Government, Robin is back to her old Alabasta ways, Franky and Icecube had a past, and Usopp and Franky seem to hit if off...Not so great but good at the same time.

I want to watch more episodes now but I only have a 6 episode limit for a day (back to 6 episodes since the episodes 253-263 are now available.

Also getting a better opinion of Franky, his singing is intresting but he's becoming a really super character (wrote super for the posters above) :).

On episode 248.

Ok wow, a lot has happened.

Some of the members of the Galley Law is part of the World Government, Robin is back to her old Alabasta ways, Franky and Icecube had a past, and Usopp and Franky seem to hit if off...Not so great but good at the same time.

I want to watch more episodes now but I only have a 6 episode limit for a day (back to 6 episodes since the episodes 253-263 are now available.

Also getting a better opinion of Franky, his singing is intresting but he's becoming a really SUUUUUUPEEEEER character (wrote super for the posters above) :).

Fixed that for you ;)

Raxus

Funny stuff the dub watchers will miss.

Water 7 spoilers:
Franky yells hentai(pervert) instead of henshin (transform) since they sound similar in japanese. Since Franky walks around in his Speedo yelling pervert out loud tends to throw off his opponents.

END of Enies Lobby spoilers:
When Zoro defeats Kaku he says 'you're fired'. In japanese 'kubi' means fired and neck. Giraffe joke!

To be fair Oda had more or less 7 of the 9 straw hat's more or less planned out from the very beginning. If you look at his earliest sketches you can see prototypes of Brook and Chopper and Usopp all more or less the same but designed differently. Franky and Robin are the only two who were planned to be completely different, Robin was supposed to be a plant loving male and Franky was a midget carpenter.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110710220617/onepiece/images/e/ef/Early_Crew.png

Is this real? Haha, they all look so weird, except for Luffy, Zoro and Nami. Chopper looks so dumb.

Acid08

Banned
Sanji's stolen dream of
seeing Nami naked
. Way to be, bro ;P

Usopp's fight against
Pehrona was awesome. He really won using is unique skillset. It's awesome seeing him more confident. Love how his negativity even makes the ghosts negative :lol

Zoro's fight was badass as well. He has an awesome
new katana too.

Happiness Punch.

ibeJ7OVFLBrNau.gif

This is why I don't think we're going to get a new crew member. I think from this point on the Strawhat's will just get alliances going on with other people.

Raxus

This is why I don't think we're going to get a new crew member. I think from this point on the Strawhat's will just get alliances going on with other people.

I would agree but
Jinbei makes too much sense as the 10th Strawhat. Fishman Island is going to be destroyed either by Luffy's war with Big Mam or over Poseidon and the Fishmen are going to need good will on the surface once their home is destroyed.

demidar

I would agree but
Jinbei makes too much sense as the 10th Strawhat. Fishman Island is going to be destroyed either by Luffy's war with Big Mam or over Poseidon and the Fishmen are going to need good will on the surface once their home is destroyed.

I dunno, because
Weakihoshi can control sea kings now, and apparently that power is deeply feared

zulux21

I would agree but

you can't forget
that jinbei also promised to join the crew as soon as he resolved the stuff he needed to do, and I can't see oda ending the series without resolving his stuff.

^
Jinbei is far too reasonable to be in Luffy's crew. Everyone in Luffy's crew apart from Robin are often really stupid (because that's funny). I don't think Oda want another serious, focused, intelligent character in Luffy's crew.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

This doesn't preclude the existence of other characters he created. That art only started showing up in data books well after Brook was introduced anyway. There was plenty of early Straw Hat art before that that never included some of those later characters, and it's also possible that there were even other characters in those sketches that were edited out for publication.

I wouldn't put much stock in it either way.

Raxus

This doesn't preclude the existence of other characters he created. That art only started showing up in data books well after Brook was introduced anyway. There was plenty of early Straw Hat art before that that never included some of those later characters, and it's also possible that there were even other characters in those sketches that were edited out for publication.

I wouldn't put much stock in it either way.

Still Sanji = Naruto was a mindblowing moment for me.

^
Jinbei is far too reasonable to be in Luffy's crew. Everyone in Luffy's crew apart from Robin are often really stupid (because that's funny). I don't think Oda want another serious, focused, intelligent character in Luffy's crew.

I wouldn't say that, Jimbei hasn't really had the same opportunities to be more relax/care free compared to the others. Compare Robin from Jaya/Skypiea to the Robin of Thriller Bark or Fishman Isle. So far the arcs that have featured Jimbei have been Impel Down, Marineford, and Fishman Isle.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
377:

ZORO :BOW

THAT EPISODE WAS SO FUCKING STRESSFUL

I can't wait until you get to 388. Great reveal.

I'm on 536 myself, slowed down to one episode a day.

They really went all the way with the Anime nose-bleed trope. I never thought it could be taken that far. I'd really like to see an Usopp/Vander Decken IX fight to see who the real sniper king is, but it doesn't look like that'll happen.

Riposte

Water 7 spoilers:
Franky yells hentai(pervert) instead of henshin (transform) since they sound similar in japanese. Since Franky walks around in his Speedo yelling pervert out loud tends to throw off his opponents.

When Zoro defeats Kaku he says 'you're fired'. In japanese 'kubi' means fired and neck. Giraffe joke!

Creative writers could make both work with a little effort.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Water 7 spoilers:

On the first one,
Franky says "convert"

Acid08

Banned
Saboady Archipelago seems like it's going to be dark what with the
human trafficking, slavery, and racism

I hope the Straw Hats fuuuuuck these people up.

Acid08

Banned
Oh man, you're over there already? This is gonna be good.
Yeah I'm on 394 I believe.

Finished up Thriller Bark a few days ago, that was really good. Honestly all the back story for
Brook
broke my heart more than any other character. The
musical element
made it hit pretty hard.

zulux21

595 spoilerish thing but really a general thought

why in the world is brook effected by gas attacks? he doesn't breathe, he doesn't have any of the systems needed to circulate the gas attacks.... so why is he being effected, it's annoying :/

why in the world is brook effected by gas attacks? he doesn't breathe, he doesn't have any of the systems needed to circulate the gas attacks.... so why is he being effected, it's annoying :/

How does Brook have nose bleeds? Or eat or fart? Or any of the various other things a skeleton couldn't possibly do but he does?

789shadow

Banned

His body still operates as if he had all his organs.

Top Bottom