• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Demarco did say there were additional goodies this week, right? I wonder if they're going to be airing those Funimation "recap" pieces.

Acid08

Banned
The ensuing brawl was so great. This arc is one of the best so far. Love the introduction of the
other pirate rookies. Law seems like the coolest

Acid08

Banned
400:

Knowledge was being dropped this entire episode. One of my favorite episodes so far. Felt really personal yet epic even though it was mostly just people sitting around and talking.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
If any episode of One Piece could be introduced as a "Very special episode" 400 would be it. Things are going to heat up for the crew VERY quickly here.

I finished 538. While Jinbei
talking about his involvement with Arlong is cool, we were actually told that in the episode where Luffy was sailing to Nami's hometown when the 2 sailors were talking about the Shichibukai and mentioned that Arlong was the right hand man of a Fishman Shichibukai. Still, I'm not suprised Luffy and the crew couldn't put 2 and 2 together :p

Soriku

This last episode was more epic than it should've been because of the music at the end. The last 40 seconds were just dragged out lol.

It's insane to think that Acid's where I was a month ago. There's gonna be a point soon when you won't be able to stop. You better strap yourself in, things are gonna get bumpy dood

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I just heard of something called "One Pace", which is some group basically cutting episodes together and taking out the fluff to match the manga pace (ala Dragonball Kai).
Anyone seen it? If the job isn't too poor it sounds like a great idea. I'd imagine most of the problem might be with background music and the like..

I just heard of something called "One Pace", which is some group basically cutting episodes together and taking out the fluff to match the manga pace (ala Dragonball Kai).
Anyone seen it? If the job isn't too poor it sounds like a great idea. I'd imagine most of the problem might be with background music and the like..

I would watch it. I watched the Arlong Park movie on a whim some time ago and was surprised of how enjoyable it was due to the better pacing.

Meelow

Banned
On episode 264.

Water 7: I overall liked Water 7, probably the most suspenseful yet in the series, and I'm glad we are getting to know more about Robin's past, but Usopp really got to let this whole thing go, with "Sniperking" (lol at the theme), and like I said before Franky is becoming a really SUPPPPPEEERRRRRR character.

Now that the Funimation dub is ending for 2 months, I will have to get used to the Japanese dub, not a fan of having to read the lines for every episode but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Oh...And.

Untitled_zpsd188a222.png

Acid08

Banned
On episode 264.

Water 7: I overall liked Water 7, probably the most suspenseful yet in the series, and I'm glad we are getting to know more about Robin's past, but Usopp really got to let this whole thing go, with "Sniperking" (lol at the theme), and like I said before Franky is becoming a really SUPPPPPEEERRRRRR character.

Now that the Funimation dub is ending for 2 months, I will have to get used to the Japanese dub, not a fan of having to read the lines for every episode but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Oh...And.

Untitled_zpsd188a222.png

You'll get over the subtitles quickly and you'll have the superior Franky.

I thought it was considered part of the wb war saga?

So what's classified as an arc and what's not? Way I see it,
Impel Down and Ace's Execution are two different arcs, although they're heavily connected. I view Amazon Lilja as a build-up. But it could be that Amazon Lilja, Impel Down and Ace's Execution are all viewed as one big arc.

On episode 264.

Oh...And.

Doesn't he drop Sniperking right after Water 7?

Also I take it English is your first language? Either that or you live in a country that dubs everything, such as Germany or Italy. Growing up with subtitles is actually really good. Before long you learn to view the whole image as a whole, and you sort of stop consciously reading the subtitles.

Meelow

Banned
Doesn't he drop Sniperking right after Water 7?

Also I take it English is your first language? Either that or you live in a country that dubs everything, such as Germany or Italy. Growing up with subtitles is actually really good. Before long you learn to view the whole image as a whole, and you sort of stop consciously reading the subtitles.

Yeah, English is my first language, I think I can get used to the subtitles quick enough, I watched Inuyasha the Final Act when the Japanese dub released for all 26 episodes (couldn't wait a few years for the English dub).

And was used to it, so I think I could do it.

Impel Down and Ace's Execution are two different arcs, although they're heavily connected. I view Amazon Lilja as a build-up. But it could be that Amazon Lilja, Impel Down and Ace's Execution are all viewed as one big arc.

Aren't arcs just categorized by the fans mostly? From the naming scheme it seems that everything that happens in one location is an arc (named after the location).
Works pretty well with OP, no quick-jumping locations/plots in multiple locations and they rarely visit the same place again (and only briefly).

One Piece 595

Loved the ending, classic Luffy moment that Law simply isn't ready for yet.

ending made Luffy look like a mad super villain :D

CrazyDude

On episode 264.

Oh...And.

Untitled_zpsd188a222.png

Yeah, it is only difficult readings subs at the start. Eventually it gets the point where you read so fast that the text and the voices kind of merge together. Difficult to explain, but there have been times where I forgot I was watching shows in japanese.

How can all of you remember every episode? Someone says 405 and writes jibberish in all caps and everyone knows exactly what he means. Haha, how can all of you remember what happens in every episode? So what did happen in 405? Was it
Kuma sending all the Straw Hats away?

EDIT: Yepp, it is. I just rewatched the episode myself.

How can all of you remember every episode? Someone says 405 and writes jibberish in all caps and everyone knows exactly what he means. Haha, how can all of you remember what happens in every episode? So what did happen in 405? Was it

The one piece wiki is a beautiful thing

Steroyd

Wiki + Toei's episode title naming sense makes it really easy.

Korosenai

like Bass said, One Piece wiki. But episode 405 is so memorable because of what happens, so when someone has a reaction like that its easy to know what theyre talking about.

Gintamen

Many arcs, one red line from beginning to end, they are usually called "saga" within the community AFAIK.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Aren't arcs just categorized by the fans mostly? From the naming scheme it seems that everything that happens in one location is an arc (named after the location).
Works pretty well with OP, no quick-jumping locations/plots in multiple locations and they rarely visit the same place again (and only briefly).

Pretty much. It's mostly an organizational tool for the fanbase, dividing the series into sagas which are in turn divided into arcs. Arcs are fairly easy to classify, though. A story arc has a beginning, a middle, and an end. Matching them up to islands mostly works pretty well. The only time it gets muddled up really is Water 7, which kind of has an ambiguous end point (i.e. "Does Rocketman chase count as its own arc? Is it part of Water 7? Enies Lobby?").

For Amazon Lily, it's
the third major arc of the Whitebeard War Saga, which runs all the way from the Ace vs. Blackbeard fight after the crew leaves Water 7 to the time skip. In this case, the unifying thread that runs through it all is the impact the capture of Ace has on the world.

Soriku

I consider Water 7 and Enies Lobby more or less same the same arc, though I can understand why people separate them based on the length of both as well as Water 7 being about the city as well as some other plot things, and Enies Lobby being about the fights.

Edit:

Also this is bullshit. We all know Luffy is asexual.

Top Bottom