• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

demidar

I don't even watch the anime, I just like talking One Piece in general and this thread seems like the most appropriate thread to talk about it in.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So I guess at this point we might as well suggest a name change to One Piece |OT| feels more appropriate for a community thread

One Piece started in '97 and, if you count the original One Piece thread, this is one of the oldest thread lineages on gaf. We're old school anime cool and don't need any of that genericization!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I watched 594 a couple of days ago, and noticed how Luffy just casually mentioned that
Zoro and Sanji have Haki.

I understand that this was fan speculation before, but was it ever confirmed before that point? That sort of seems like a big deal to me, but I may have missed something earlier.

They both
used Color of Observation Haki during the Fishman Island Arc

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
When? I must admit that I didn't pay attention to those kinds of details because the arc was so boring.

Most notably
when Luffy sensed Caribou's presence in Ryuuguu Palace. He asked Zoro and Sanji if they felt the presence of a "wild animal" too, and they said yes.

Acid08

Banned
The sense of morality that the "good" guys have in this show is so fucked up. Hate seeing these clowns get in Luffy's way.

Jaroof

I watched 594 a couple of days ago, and noticed how Luffy just casually mentioned that
Zoro and Sanji have Haki.

I understand that this was fan speculation before, but was it ever confirmed before that point? That sort of seems like a big deal to me, but I may have missed something earlier.

While rewatching some of the recent OP eps, I noticed that
when Zoro fights the Iron Shell Squad, his swords get coated in a white sheen, which I assume is Haki.
It's shown here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YmhhGkQZnls#t=102s

The sense of morality that the "good" guys have in this show is so fucked up. Hate seeing these clowns get in Luffy's way.

Who do you mean when you say "good" guys? There are good pirates and bad pirates as well as good marine and bad marine. I like how the world isn't black and white in One Piece. Some people argue that Oda is trying to say that the government sucks and that we should be free but that's not what I'm getting at all. There's a great balance in One Piece.

Jaroof

Who do you mean when you say "good" guys? There are good pirates and bad pirates as well as good marine and bad marine. I like how the world isn't black and white in One Piece. Some people argue that Oda is trying to say that the government sucks and that we should be free but that's not what I'm getting at all. There's a great balance in One Piece.

I think he meant the Marines/World Government.

I think he meant the Marines/World Government.

Yeah, that's my point.

Also on that note not all the marines have the same morality -- far from it. Pre-timeskip the three admirals all have their own morality for instance, and all over the story you can see brave and honorable marines as well as cruel and dishonorable marines.

That's weird,
Haki normally gives a black coating

I thought people just assumed the black coating with Luffy was due to his rubber. I still wish it wasn't a visible thing. It just looks so stupid when Luffy "turns black" like his forehead.

demidar

I thought people just assumed the black coating with Luffy was due to his rubber. I still wish it wasn't a visible thing. It just looks so stupid when Luffy "turns black" like his forehead.

Well this is what I read off the wiki

OP Wiki: Haki said:
By the same effect, this Haki can also be used as a higher level of offensive, more so than just bypassing a foe's Devil Fruit powers. It can be used to harden parts of one's body, turning the area black, making the user denser and more formidable, and giving their attacks greater power ... This type of Haki may not be equipped to attacks that are not from one's body except for weapons...

Link

No story spoilers, but spoilered just in case.

Fmb26KN.jpg

One Piece 597: Big Battle - Caesar Activates his True Ability!

One Piece 598 Preview: The Samurai that Cuts the Fire! Kin'emon of Foxfire!

Raxus

It isn't a visable thing. Luffy is just literally
hardening his body by vulcanization: spoiler link? making it a harder hit. Rayleigh and Garp used Haki without the visual effect.

Soriku

Episode 597

Slime monster only melting womens' clothes. Seems legit.

WTF Caesar just jobbed everyone lol. And did I just hear a hint of worry coming from Smoker for Luffy?

I don't know what that Vergo guy did to Law either.

So guys, in honor of Toonami airing OP again, I'm making my way through the series from the beginning. Up to 55. Never seen Apis before.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this btw

It isn't a visable thing. Luffy is just literally
hardening his body by vulcanization: spoiler link? making it a harder hit. Rayleigh and Garp used Haki without the visual effect.

I like it when
it doesn't have the visual effect. Everything seems... dumber when we see the black and I feel like it's just Oda reminding us they can use it.

Meelow

Banned
On episode 272, it's getting really good, as a man that hates women getting hit when Spandam hit Robin it made me so mad, I know it's an anime but still, it made me want to punch him in the face if he was a real person.

Also I looked up the 4kids dub because I was curious about the voices...Sanji's voice...Who voiced him LOL, it's like the deepest voice I ever heard.

On episode 272, it's getting really good, as a man that hates women getting hit when Spandam hit Robin it made me so mad, I know it's an anime but still, it made me want to punch him in the face if he was a real person.

Are you saying that you are a man that hates women? Or what? Your sentence doesn't really make sense but it seems like it.

Acid08

Banned
Are you saying that you are a man that hates women? Or what? Your sentence doesn't really make sense but it seems like it.

lol seriously?

Yeah, that's my point.

Also on that note not all the marines have the same morality -- far from it. Pre-timeskip the three admirals all have their own morality for instance, and all over the story you can see brave and honorable marines as well as cruel and dishonorable marines.

Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Obviously I'm not commenting on the gray areas. I'm commenting on the guys who have this shitty sense of justice where they won't look past anything beyond the criminal/marine dynamic. It's mostly marines that act like this towards Luffy's crew.

He's saying he's a man that hates it when women get hit.

Oh I see! I wish people would use punctuation.

lol seriously?

Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Obviously I'm not commenting on the gray areas. I'm commenting on the guys who have this shitty sense of justice where they won't look past anything beyond the criminal/marine line. It's mostly marines that act like this towards Luffy's crew.

Why are you being such a douche? You never want to discuss anything. As soon as anyone even remotely criticizes you you seem to enter some panic mode.

Saying I never want to discuss things like we've been in discussions before. Not sure what you're talking about.

Basically you're acting like you're familiar with me and I don't know from where.

Well most recently just a few minutes ago. And then there's earlier in this thread but I have no desire to scroll through all the pages for you.

Acid08

Banned
Well most recently just a few minutes ago. And then there's earlier in this thread but I have no desire to scroll through all the pages for you.
haha whatever you say, guy. I think you're officially the only person in this thread I've ever been a douche to and you're making it real easy. Curious to know what these copious amounts of arguments we've apparently had are about though.

Edit:

In fact here's the only previous interaction I can find between us in this thread

I feel like I might be getting close to the
time skip

Nah, there are two more arcs before the time-skip.

Ah okay. I'm anxious to watch more when I get off work. On 403 now.

So douchey of me.

haha whatever you say, guy. I think you're officially the only person in this thread I've ever been a douche to and you're making it real easy. Curious to know what these copious amounts of arguments we've apparently had are about though.

What? No, not with me, genius. We've never had a discussion before as long as I can remember.

And for the love of everything could you drop that freaking attitude? It's so tiresome.

Acid08

Banned
What? No, not with me, genius. We've never had a discussion before as long as I can remember.

And for the love of everything could you drop that freaking attitude? It's so tiresome.

Oh I see! I wish people would use punctuation.

Three episodes? You can watch three episodes in like an hour. You make it sound like you're a hundred episodes behind or some such.

I have the attitude though.

Can't for the life of me think of a single argument I've really had in here until now. Mostly just me posting impressions as I watch the series and asking questions. You've obviously been keeping track of my posts in here, maybe enlighten me?

Top Bottom