• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Tonight is the big 600 for One Piece.

I heard the reason that the anime is the way it is now is that Toei has focused attention away from it for other shows like Toriko and the annual Pretty Cure.

Damn 600? What a milestone. I haven't been keeping myself up to date with the anime now. I'm kinda losing interest in it completely (well, with the exception of the English broadcast on Toonami). The pacing is just terrible for me now.

Meanwhile the manga has kept me super glued since I recently received volumes 34-38, 55-60, and 67 as birthday gifts (thus owning all of the volumes currently released in English!). Now I gotta wait every 3 months for a new book.

5yIwxXD.jpg

One Piece 600: Save the children! The master's evil hands close in!

One Piece 601 Preview: New World's Severe Earthquake - Caesar's Nightmare

Cwarrior

Tonight is the big 600 for One Piece.

I heard the reason that the anime is the way it is now is that Toei has focused attention away from it for other shows like Toriko and the annual Pretty Cure.

Well your hearing wrong, One piece is still Toei number 1 money maker in merchandising(beating precure a show that exist sole to sell toys) and in Tv ratings(twice over both one piece and it's HD rerun are consistently in the top anime tv ratings each week),It has the same focus put behind it as Toriko but has a much bigger budget then precure which has to recycle a lot of animation due to a lower budget(why do you think magical girl show &mecha anime have repeated transformation animation each week/episode and repeated stock animation attacks, they exist to save money and time).

You just haven't been paying attention to the staff listing on animation directors each week , one piece has had some pretty good animated episode a few weeks ago, it's just that 599 had Deguchi Toshio as animation director the weakest animation director of the lot.

If you go a few episode back 594 had Ishizuka Katsumi a top class animation director behind it(dat thick fluid animated slime animation) and 585,591 &597 part 1(luffy vs CC) had Nakatani Yukiko the animation director for Episode of nami behind it.

I think am going to have to put up staff list to adjust people's expectation(warn people when a deguchi episode is coming), I don't like doing it as it effect people opinions on the episodes before they've even watched it.

Script: Yonemura Shoji
Storyboard: Hiraike Ayako
Episode director: Hiraike Ayako
Animation director: Yokoyama Kenji -good

Script: Nakayama Tomohiro
Storyboard: Goto Keiji
Episode director: Imamura Takahiro
Animation director: Shingaki Shigefumi -good

Script: Suga Yoshiyuki
Storyboard: Otsuka Takashi
Episode director: Otsuka Takashi
Animation director: Hisada Kazuya - top class

Script: Tanaka Hitoshi
Storyboard: Komaki Aya
Episode director: Komaki Aya
Animation director: Isochi Yusuke -never seen this one before

Jigolo

Will watch to see how they change the arc. My favorite arc was already animated in the best art. Seriously the way they animated Water 7/ Enies Lobby is my favorite they did the whole series. They way the show is animated now is pretty ugly compared to back then.

I just watched the One Piece Movie Z and have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit.
I found Z to be a good character even if at the end his actions somewhat went against his whole philosophy.

The costumes were great. The ones Brook bought were amazing though I will have to say when they went full pirate....
It was horrible.

Just... just horrible.

I mean, just look at Robin, she should stick to sweaters.

The giant showdown between Luffy and Z... I'm still of two minds about. In fact, I'm not even sure Z let Luffy live for so long. He had many chances to kill him before but kinda just threw him away from his giant devil fruit killing arm... Speaking of, didn't his arm get cut off?

In summary, Brook should have gotten more of that Modo Modo powers.

Tenrius

I decided to do some catching up, going through Water-7 at a fast pace. You guys were right, this stuff is amazing.

On another note, Sanji's GENTLECOOK T-shirt really cracks me up, even a considerable number of episodes later.

Acid08

Banned
Any updates Acid? Did you finally ever fully catch up in the series?
I burned out a bit after the post Marineford arc D:

Haven't watched past the first couple episodes of Fishman Island which I'm kind of dreading going into because a lot of you have said it's kinda boring.

BatDan

Haven't watched past the first couple episodes of Fishman Island which I'm kind of dreading going into because a lot of you have said it's kinda boring.

It's better in one go rather than week-by-week.
I just wish they didn't adapt one chapter at a time. It's why we need a One Piece Kai.

Korosenai

That's understandable.

Like Batdan said, it's definitely better in one go. You could even read the manga if you wanted to save time.

Acid08

Banned
Do people in here enjoy the manga or anime more? I'm considering taking Nub's advice to just read the manga of this arc to save time. I imagine the story is exactly the same minus some filler right?

I'm just so used to hearing the characters and seeing them animated. If I end up not liking it I'll just watch of course.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Do people in here enjoy the manga or anime more? I'm considering taking Nub's advice to just read the manga of this arc to save time. I imagine the story is exactly the same minus some filler right?

I'm just so used to hearing the characters and seeing them animated. If I end up not liking it I'll just watch of course.

The manga is usually better, but it's definitely worth seeing certain scenes animated.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I keep waiting for an on-screen panel to say "Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl" over a full-body shot of Smiley, but it just ain't happening. It shoulda happened a few episodes ago, did I miss it or something?

Gintamen

The manga is usually better, but it's definitely worth seeing certain scenes animated.
The seiyu are probably the only reason I keep watching the series at all. It's nice to see the characters in color, not worth wasting 20 minutes on something that took you ten minutes max to read & re-read.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Everyone's going to say the manga. The difference in pacing is just too great. However the anime does have some great moments like "THE PUNCH" and the Sogeking theme realized.

Personally, I read the manga and use the anime as epic fanservice.

aechris

http://onepace.comeze.com/

I haven't watched it yet so I can't speak to quality, but there's a group called One Pace recutting episodes to better match manga pacing. They've got quite a bit done (66 eps down to 24!!) so you might want to give that a shot?

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I've been going at it one episode a day since I got to return to Saobody. I'm now a few episodes into Punk Hazard. nice how it doesn't take any time for things to start happening in this arc. Fishman island was slow, but it seems there was a lot of setup there for things down the road. I also noticed that filler arc was one big setup, so I guess we should expect multiple arc filler for a while.

Korosenai

Everyone's going to say the manga. The difference in pacing is just too great. However the anime does have some great moments like "THE PUNCH" and the Sogeking theme realized.

Personally, I read the manga and use the anime as epic fanservice.

Pretty much this.

I used the anime to catch up, and I regret nothing. But now I read the manga and watch an episode here and there depending on what happens in it.

I watch/read both weekly, for one week at a time pacing the manga is certainly superior to the anime, but in a marathon session the anime is better. You might wait for the anime to finish an arc then watch it in one sitting while reading the manga weekly to get the best of both worlds.

I actually prefer the anime, if I can watch in bulk as the music adds so much to the world for me, also the manga can be very cluttered at times and as of such the anime make things more apparent but all in all I love both but prefer the anime.

Meelow

Banned
On Episode 340.

My first impressions of Brook is that Sanji found a new best friend, I also really like the creepiness of this arc.

I'll say my full impression after I'm done this arc.

I havent been paying much attention to it, but how is it One Piece doing on Toonami? Is it pretty popular?

Yeah it's doing above expectations according to the toonami team. Toonamigaf who've never seen it weren't sure what to make of it cause foxy arc is an awful starting spot but they've warmed up to it

Korosenai

Yeah it's doing above expectations according to the toonami team. Toonamigaf who've never seen it weren't sure what to make of it cause foxy arc is an awful starting spot but they've warmed up to it
Yea, Foxy arc was a pretty bad spot, but at least Water 7 follows it. If theyre liking Foxy, theyre going to have their minds blown later on.

Gintamen

They should have just left out all the filler from the Davy Back arc, it was nice for what it is supposed to be. And anybody hating on Afroluffy is a hater. :O

Meelow

Banned
On the episode 341.

That scene with Nami...4kids would of been crying if they saw that.

I was shocked during that scene.

aravuus

I actually prefer the anime, if I can watch in bulk as the music adds so much to the world for me, also the manga can be very cluttered at times and as of such the anime make things more apparent but all in all I love both but prefer the anime.

Surprisingly the same here. Usually I'm okay with either one and don't have any real preference, but with One Piece, I really rather watch the anime. Drawn black and white pictures just don't convey Luffy's massive feelings like the anime does :V

BatDan

On the episode 341.

That scene with Nami...4kids would of been crying if they saw that.

I was shocked during that scene.

There's a shitload of scenes that would have given 4Kids heart attacks.
Skypiea was bad enough, but we did get a sample of what they would have done thanks to Pirates Carnival and the brief Funimation run in 2007 (they were forced to use 4Kids names and terms for consistency). Eneru was King, the Priests were Vassals/Knights, and Wyper was called Wyler for some reason.

Considering the tone of the series gets progressively darker as it goes along, I would love to see 4Kids try to handle that stuff. It would be a disaster.

Meelow

Banned
Some great Usopp moments later in that arc.
And of course Zoro will show you who's the man.

Yeah I'm on episode 347 and Zoro is fighting that thing.

There's a shitload of scenes that would have given 4Kids heart attacks.
Skypiea was bad enough, but we did get a sample of what they would have done thanks to Pirates Carnival and the brief Funimation run in 2007 (they were forced to use 4Kids names and terms for consistency). Eneru was King, the Priests were Vassals/Knights, and Wyper was called Wyler for some reason.

Considering the tone of the series gets progressively darker as it goes along, I would love to see 4Kids try to handle that stuff. It would be a disaster.

Yeah religion was a huge part of the Skypiea arc and the only way for 4kids to change is if the whole king thing, but even than they would of had to change Zoro's (or should I say Zolo) lines a lot since he didn't believe in god.

And the Nami scene, it looked like a rape scene which I was shocked by, 4kids would of completely removed that scene and when Nami was asking Usopp if he saw what she saw they probably would of changed it too...

Nami: "Do you know where we are even going Usopp?"
Usopp: "How would I know!"

Or something close to that.

Wiseblade

Yeah I'm on episode 347 and Zoro is fighting that thing.

Yeah religion was a huge part of the Skypiea arc and the only way for 4kids to change is if the whole king thing, but even than they would of had to change Zoro's (or should I say Zolo) lines a lot since he didn't believe in god.

And the Nami scene, it looked like a rape scene which I was shocked by, 4kids would of completely removed that scene and when Nami was asking Usopp if he saw what she saw they probably would of changed it too...

Nami: "Do you know where we are even going Usopp?"
Usopp: "How would I know!"

Or something close to that.
They'd have just done what Viz did and leave it all as "Kami".

Zolo: "I don't believe in Kami."

UGH

Top Bottom