• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Do people in here enjoy the manga or anime more? I'm considering taking Nub's advice to just read the manga of this arc to save time. I imagine the story is exactly the same minus some filler right?

I'm just so used to hearing the characters and seeing them animated. If I end up not liking it I'll just watch of course.

The anime is better, fixes numerous pacing issues and makes congested events easier to follow. Though skypeia and davy back are still ungood arcs in either medium.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I mean as a kid I didn't get that kami = god til I was in my teens.

Exactly this. For years I didn't know Kami was intended to be God, but just someone like Piccolo but old and watches over the earth, and his name is Kami.
That's why I feel Viz mishandled Skypiea. They replaced every instance of "God" with "Kami", and it was fucking awkward.
Especially since people that speak Japanese note that Oda doesn't call him "Kami Eneru", he calls him "God Eneru" in plain kana.
Why? Did they think they would get grief from religious zealots? Chances are those same zealots wouldn't allow their kids to read manga, or even American comic books. It's the same overreaction 4Kids did when they saw the anime was really violent and not intended for Saturday mornings.

But everybody has seen /read DBZ, how could they not know what kami means.

I haven't.

I mean as a kid I didn't get that kami = god til I was in my teens.

Exactly this. For years I didn't know Kami was intended to be God, but just someone like Piccolo but old and watches over the earth, and his name is Kami.
That's why I feel Viz mishandled Skypiea. They replaced every instance of "God" with "Kami", and it was fucking awkward.
Especially since people that speak Japanese note that Oda doesn't call him "Kami Eneru", he calls him "God Eneru" in plain kana.
Why? Did they think they would get grief from religious zealots? Chances are those same zealots wouldn't allow their kids to read manga, or even American comic books. It's the same overreaction 4Kids did when they saw the anime was really violent and not intended for Saturday mornings.

Kami isn't just God, it could be a lot of things. It could some some spiritual Shinto essence; an idol, a mind, a spirit. Translating Kami to God is actually a mistranslation. But for a manga/anime, you can just translate it to God I suppose.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The anime is better, fixes numerous pacing issues and makes congested events easier to follow. Though skypeia and davy back are still ungood arcs in either medium.

Haha jesus man. The 1:1 chapter:episode rate is catastrophic to the pacing of the series, and it is completely insane that you would try to argue that "pacing," of all possible things, is a plus of the anime. I love the anime for plenty of reasons, but THAT? Come ON.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I have the feeling the anime threads aren't as acquainted with his shenanigans. I don't want some innocent anime-only dudes, as I once was, to be bamboozled.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Man robins powers seem to have upgraded
has she done half body clones before?
. Beyond that this last chapter is dope.

BatDan

Man robins powers seem to have upgraded
has she done half body clones before?
. Beyond that this last chapter is dope.

Yes she's done clones before. First time we saw that was in Fishman Island when Luffy and Jinbe were about to fight, when Robin came out and walked between them. Turns out it was a clone.
Later when she "fought" Hammond (less of a fight and more of a curbstomp), she created clones to snap his spine.

Wiseblade

Yes she's done clones before. First time we saw that was in Fishman Island when Luffy and Jinbe were about to fight, when Robin came out and walked between them. Turns out it was a clone.
Later when she "fought" Hammond (less of a fight and more of a curbstomp), she created clones to snap his spine.

It wasn't a snap, she obliterated that spine.

Meelow

Banned
Well Luffy is an idiot and Chopper is like a 9-year-old on a sugar high when he isn't serious. So yea...

That's true, Luffy did think Kaku was Usopp because of the nose...

But really if this was real I wouldn't know how Zoro, Nami, and the rest don't just tell him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's true, Luffy did think Kaku was Usopp because of the nose...

But really if this was real I wouldn't know how Zoro, Nami, and the rest don't just tell him.

Why would you even bother? They're like children, it'd be like telling them Santa isn't real. Besides Ussop didn't want them to know it was him and they respected that.

Meelow

Banned
Why would you even bother? They're like children, it'd be like telling them Santa isn't real. Besides Ussop didn't want them to know it was him and they respected that.

That is true, there's no point to even bother telling them. just in the last episode when Usopp used his weapon and Chopper was like "That weapon...Why does Usopp have it?"

I was like "Oh yeah, they never found out".

:lol just wait. There's more baffling stupidity from those two coming!

Oh, I bet.

mrmickfran

People don't give the Funimation dub enough love. The voices matches the majority of the characters perfectly. Sure there are some less than stellar voices (Iceberg's is just weird,Chopper's can be unbearable at times) but the performances of other characters completely overshadow the less than stellar performances (namely Usopp, Sanji, and Nami. Just go watch episodes 235-236; their performances are amazing.

Meelow

Banned
People don't give the Funimation dub enough love. The voices matches the majority of the charactersperfectly. Sure there are some less than stellar voices (Iceberg's is just weird,Chopper's can be unbearable at times) but the performances of other characters completely overshadow the less than stellar performances (namely Usopp, Sanji, and Nami. Just go watch episodes 235-236; their performances are amazing.

Yeah I agree, most of the Funimation voices are great, especially Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, and Robin. Franky's voice is alright but I do like the Japanese voice much better.

Luffy's voice can be great and alright, I think it depeneds on the scene.

If people want to complain about English voices for One Piece than they should complain about the 4kids voice actor's, especially Sanji, Sanji's voice doesn't even make sense.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
People don't give the Funimation dub enough love. The voices matches the majority of the charactersperfectly. Sure there are some less than stellar voices (Iceberg's is just weird,Chopper's can be unbearable at times) but the performances of other characters completely overshadow the less than stellar performances (namely Usopp, Sanji, and Nami. Just go watch episodes 235-236; their performances are amazing.

I remember hearing somewhere that Oda got the final OK for the English voices. He definitely did for the Japanese ones.

mrmickfran

The English dub definitely made Sonny Strait one of my favorite voice actors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud2Tabf-eyk

This scene shows how much emotion he give at different points while voicing Usopp (I remeber reading somewhere that Sonny was crying at one point. It really shows that the Funimation voice actors pour in their heart and emotion into the characters voices).

And to think, he used to be Krillin.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I kinda don't like the dub just cause it becomes suddenly so much more evident that 90% of the lines in the show are screamed at the top of someone's lungs. Luffy especially. In Japanese it's obfuscated enough that I don't mind. But in English...

People don't give the Funimation dub enough love. The voices matches the majority of the characters perfectly. Sure there are some less than stellar voices (Iceberg's is just weird,Chopper's can be unbearable at times) but the performances of other characters completely overshadow the less than stellar performances (namely Usopp, Sanji, and Nami. Just go watch
episodes 235-236; their performances are amazing.

Definitely agree. The reason a lot people think dub voices are worse is because they are already use to the Japanese voices. Very rarely are English dubs notably worse than subs. I watch a ton of anime and watch everything dubbed unless there isn't a dub and there won't be one.

I watched One Piece up to 172 dubbed but I had to switch to sub (eventually manga) when they were no more episodes on Funimation. I did eventually buy the first eight collections.

As a testament to Funimation's dub choices I'll point to Unlimited Adventure for the Wii. I picked it up complete for $57 used two years ago (a good price for how expensive it is). A really, really good game it came out in 2007 with Franky in it. This is the first performance of Patrick Seitz as Franky What struck me at first was how deep his voice sound compared to the Japanese voice and his surfer like tone. It through me off until the first Franky manly tears part. It still sounded it very different but the emotion perfected matched the Japanese. Seitz was able to perfectly capture the enthusiasm and rough/thoughish nature of his voice and then transition into a manly man sobbing full-stop. I was astounded. Instead of futilely trying to find an English approximation of Franky's very unique voice (Bon Clay, Jango show how weird it is) they instead essentially decided to find a new voice that matched the character Oda wrote. Dub Franky may not sound anything like sub Franky but he has a voice that matches the character Franky.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am surprised. Punk Hazard anime version is top notch. Pacing is good enough, well animated, nice surprises, etc. Best arc since Sabaody for me so far.

62x3OO8.jpg

One Piece 602: History's Worst Slaughter Weapon! Shinokuni

One Piece 603 Preview:

Thanks, bro! We missed you last week. Well I did anyway. Direct links to the page is better than Google searching it

Had an engagement party. You can actually just click on any link to funimation's website. I don't directly link to the episode, but to the video section. I only change out the picture and preview.

Animation was top notch this time around. Can't wait for some action. Just running around this week mainly.

I watched a buddy just watch the Enies Lobby arc for the first time, after a moment of silence he wiped away the tears and said "I understand now" so good

BatDan

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I recommend everyone check out the One Pace project.
It edits down the episodes to a much quicker pace. 2 or 3 episodes become 1.
They started with the timeskip. Editing down 56 episodes to 24. They're now working on Punk Hazard and starting up Thriller Bark.

The English dub definitely made Sonny Strait one of my favorite voice actors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud2Tabf-eyk

This scene shows how much emotion he give at different points while voicing Usopp (I remeber reading somewhere that Sonny was crying at one point. It really shows that the Funimation voice actors pour in their heart and emotion into the characters voices).

And to think, he used to be Krillin.

This video gives me more appreciation for Franky's voice. At first I despised it because I thought he would sound weird doing the "ow's, and "super's." Now I can see the voice doing pretty well and I kinda like it.

Kokonoe

Banned
Sanji losing blood and the backstory regarding the fishman who was refused a blood transfusion from humans is rather shoehorned imo.

I dont really see why that would be

Oh, but I dont have any eyes

SKULL JOKE!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excuse me while I adventure game a hammer with my head.

Sanji losing blood and the backstory regarding the fishman who was refused a blood transfusion from humans is rather shoehorned imo.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOHOHOHOHOHOHO!

Top Bottom