• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Just finished the Little Garden Arc. It actually turned out to be really boring and drawn out, can't say I really enjoyed it. I'm a couple of eps into Drum Island now, and it's at least more entertaining.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'd like to start off with that I like the use of "Energy Steroids", it made the Fishman putting up somewhat of a fight against the Straw Hats believable. I at first thought that Hordy was just going to be automatically above Arlong and other Fishmen, which would have been not believable.

I really enjoyed the backstory about the Fishmen, and I was also worried once again they were trying to shoehorn a earlier One Piece arc, the Nami/Arlong stuff, but it actually worked out really well, and it explains a lot. I felt the story got kind of deep when Hordy said "Nothing" as his reason for hating humans, and it going into the part where it explains how children can be so influenced by the wrong type of people, in which, it becomes who they are eventually and the negative outcomes. It really gives you a lot to think a about.

Now I do admit, the fights in this arc have been pretty bad and unentertaining. The fight between Luffy and Hordy was mostly just Luffy not being effected by any of Hordy's moves, then him doing bazooka or a big punch. I also felt that the Officers took way too long to get into the fight, and when they got in, the fights were even weaker than the Hordy VS Luffy fight. I was disappointed that Hyouzou lost extremely easy to Zoro, it seemed like ever since he blocked Luffy's attack earlier on, and all of the things he was doing, with the character's demeanor, it would lead into a good fight. However, it just turned into Zoro doing one or two things and that's pretty much it, even despite him eating all of those Energy Steroids.

I wasn't expecting Luffy to ask Jimbei to join the crew, that'd be kind of interesting if it happens later on.

And something tells me about the prediction of Luffy that someone else is going to destroy the island, but Luffy is just standing there in the ashes. Probably his choice against Big Mam.

Other notes:

I like Fukaboshi, felt he was a great character.
I like how they explained the reason for Brook's musical 'genjutsu', I'm use to them not explaining how they learn their techniques, so it's nice to see.
I'd appreciate if the characters would stop praising each other in combat since it wastes a lot of time.

All in all, the writing was pretty good throughout the arc, my only real issue was the fighting, but the writing is good so it redeems that, at least. Looking forward to the New World!

Drum Island arc is possibly one of my favourite arcs. I cried more in that arc than in any other arc I think, hahaha.

Shit, you weren't kidding ;__;. Just got through
Chopper accidentally feeding Dr. Hiluluk the poisonous mushroom.
Honestly didn't expect such a dark turn. So far one of my favorite arcs, and it's not even over yet. Although Wapol doesn't really seem all that threatening.

Cwarrior

One piece Episode of Merry Trailer

Jeszzz Ah! they turned the detailed 2d art of Merry into CG ...

gk7NLx2.gif

The Rest of the 2D art looks really nice, eisaku inoue draws the best Robin.

I can see Tomita doing the Ussop fight and nami crying scene.

Is it the British or American version of the manga that writes "Zolo" instead of "Zoro"? Or is it both? Which one has better translation in general, or is it all the same? Does anyone here know?

Shit, you weren't kidding ;__;. Just got through
Chopper accidentally feeding Dr. Hiluluk the poisonous mushroom.
Honestly didn't expect such a dark turn. So far one of my favorite arcs, and it's not even over yet. Although Wapol doesn't really seem all that threatening.

Yeah. I think it has a lot of great moments and Choppa's feelings of loneliness and trying to help are very well executed. Wapol doesn't seem too threatening indeed and I think that's sort of the point too. He mostly appears as an unlikeable, egoistic king who doesn't exactly seem like the strongest in a fight.

Cwarrior

I remember laughing at that scene in the anime. It's so over dramatic. lol

Took me while got the full reaction shot

637LB99.gif

Don't blame them
I don't know how i would react if I saw the ghost ship the flying dutchman 10,000 meters below after seeing a giant fishman monster(umibozo).

Is it the British or American version of the manga that writes "Zolo" instead of "Zoro"? Or is it both? Which one has better translation in general, or is it all the same? Does anyone here know?

I believe the UK versions are a direct import of the American volumes, so they will have "Zolo".

Acid08

Banned
Well bros, I'm all caught up finally! It has been a helluva ride getting here, definitely worth all the time it took. Looking forward to discussing the new episodes with you guys!

I was going through my pictures and noticed I had saved a picture from the manga of a scene the anime just got to. Looked it up and it's crazy we really are about a year away. Feels like just yesterday I was reading this part of Punk Hazard.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So what chapter from the manga is the anime on right now?

The latest episode covered Chapter 679. Considering Oda's on a reduced schedule right now, a filler arc is very likely going to happen.

Acid, bro, you know you need to. You know deep in your soul what needs to be done

It's the only way to truly experience One Piece.
Just remember if you go with Viz, use the Wiki as they get names wrong.

I feel like the pacing of the anime is slowly getting worse and worse, and it's leaving me conflicted. Don't get me wrong. I love One Piece. But 75% of each episode is just people running around, I start to get worried. Things like humor, fight scenes, or interesting plot points, or any semblance of development seem to be becoming sparser and sparser. Even the animation quality is sorely lacking.

I never thought I'd be bored by One Piece. :(

I feel like the pacing of the anime is slowly getting worse and worse, and it's leaving me conflicted. Don't get me wrong. I love One Piece. But 75% of each episode is just people running around, I start to get worried. Things like humor, fight scenes, or interesting plot points, or any semblance of development seem to be becoming sparser and sparser. Even the animation quality is sorely lacking.

I never thought I'd be bored by One Piece. :(

Next arc should be awesome animated, Oda is slowly finding his groove again after two kind of slow arcs in fish man and punk hazard.

Kokonoe

Banned
The latest episode covered Chapter 679. Considering Oda's on a reduced schedule right now, a filler arc is very likely going to happen.

I was just about to ask this question since I just watched Episode 605. Thanks.

Wait, 679? The anime is pretty darn close to the manga, it surprises me because Naruto is like super far off by comparison.

BatDan

Wait, 679? The anime is pretty darn close to the manga, it surprises me because Naruto is like super far off by comparison.

Didn't Naruto just have like 5 months of filler though? One Piece very rarely has filler, relying on 1:1 pacing rather than halting the story for Oda to move forward.

Kokonoe

Banned
Didn't Naruto just have like 5 months of filler though? One Piece very rarely has filler, relying on 1:1 pacing rather than halting the story for Oda to move forward.

I haven't kept up with the anime in a few months, but there have been MANY of times where they have like 5 month filler. It's obnoxious.

It's the only way to truly experience One Piece.
Just remember if you go with Viz, use the Wiki as they get names wrong.

Well, I wouldn't use the Wiki as go-to source, but it can be useful for some terms.

All the terms/spellings people really need to know are:

(Viz) - (Correct)
Roronoa Zolo - Roronoa Zoro
Roguetown - Loguetown
Paramythia - Paramecia
Kami Eneru - God Eneru
Vassals - Priests
Boosts - Points
Teech - Teach
Portgaz - Portgas
Oh Come My Way - Crossdresser Way
Challenges - Ordeals
Raki - Laki
Varse - Vearth
Chapter 537's chapter title (Viz: A Ray of Hope / Original: Jigoku ni Okama (Crossdresser in Hell))

Kinda hate that they translate Kenpo too (interestingly, in vol 17, where Mr. 2 shows up, they left it as "Oh Come My Way Kenpo", but later on they use "Oh Come My Way Karate"). Chopper's "Boost" was used with the early volumes (and some managed to sneak in the later volumes, I think during Water Seven?), but from vol 42 and on, it is consistently "Points".

If you've already seen the anime, you'll know the correct (or rather universally agreed with) terms whether you read the English volumes or from another source.

ffdgh

Yeah...naruto has been so absurdly filler crazy that's it's maddening. I think it's been months without any actual progress in that war lol.

demidar

There, now I can no longer be spoiled of One Piece as I've read all of the manga. Woo.

Law just keeps getting better.

Waiting for the action to blow up in the current manga arc is excruciating because there are so many pieces in play, and so many characters and factions.

BatDan

Waiting for the action to blow up in the current manga arc is excruciating because there are so many pieces in play, and so many characters and factions.

And Oda's been taking breaks.
He needs them of course. Poor guy works 21 hours a day, and he smokes. Not sure if he still does the former.

Kokonoe

Banned

I gotta say, his character is unpredictable for me, which is a good thing. I also love that he's logical, it's nice to see. I remember seeing his abilities and going "this guy is broken", but it just seems One Piece is upping the ante not so much him.

demidar

And Oda's been taking breaks.
He needs them of course. Poor guy works 21 hours a day, and he smokes. Not sure if he still does the former.

Yeah I heard he works crazy hours. I would like him to cut back, actually, because I find some of the panels have way too much detail such that I can't make anything out.

I gotta say, his character is unpredictable for me, which is a good thing. I also love that he's logical, it's nice to see. I remember seeing his abilities and going "this guy is broken", but it just seems One Piece is upping the ante not so much him.

His past and his motives are still a mystery besides his endgoal, but I still really like him as a character and as a foil for the rest of the Strawhats. I hope he ends up as a lasting ally but who knows. (manga spoilers)
With Doflamingo and the new admiral displaying his power Law doesn't look that overpowered anymore. I anticipate the next chapter that deals with that threeway but I reckon we'll just get a continuation of the coliseum events which has it's own lesser draw.

Do we still need to spoiler manga story beats?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah I heard he works crazy hours. I would like him to cut back, actually, because I find some of the panels have way too much detail such that I can't make anything out.

The panels remind me of American comics actually, with all the insane detail. That level of detail looks amazing in color, but it might be a bit much in black and white. That said it's much better than having no backgrounds at all.

BatDan

The panels remind me of American comics actually, with all the insane detail. That level of detail looks amazing in color, but it might be a bit much in black and white. That said it's much better than having no backgrounds at all.

The Heart? The Heart.

Well, one episode =/= one chapter, at least not always. For instance, what happens in E605 is most likely not the same that happens in C605.

I have a question, is there some reason why Chopper in Movie 7 has a different voice? I've seen all episodes up to 602 and the first 6 movies so far and the voice is consistent up until this particular movie and it just bugged me the entire time.

BatDan

I have a question, is there some reason why Chopper in Movie 7 has a different voice? I've seen all episodes up to 602 and the first 6 movies so far and the voice is consistent up until this particular movie and it just bugged me the entire time.

Chopper's voice actress, Ikue Ohtani, went on maternity leave. So all her roles were replaced (except Pikachu since they have enough sound clips of that).
Episodes 254-263 and Movie 7 all had a different voice.

Caesar's faces will always make me laugh. Also what was with that
flame trail
Luffy had behind him? Was that supposed to be a joke or can he really do that? I know he can
do red hawk but I'm not sure about just flames coming off him.

Top Bottom