• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

My god was the animation for Sanji's encounter with Vergo garbage. Not at all what i expected. The manga made it look so good. In fact the whole episode was animated poorly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLFpWUnC9IQ

I recently watched a bunch of episodes of Popeye the sailor man. A cartoon made in the 30's and the animation is friggin gorgeous, especially for its time. I'm sure most if not all episodes were hand drawn, no computers or whatever. If a cartoon from the 30's can look that good animation wise. Toei seriously has no excuse to be putting out trash like this,

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
My god was the animation for Sanji's encounter with Vergo garbage. Not at all what i expected. The manga made it look so good. In fact the whole episode was animated poorly

I recently watched a bunch of episodes of Popeye the sailor man. A cartoon made in the 30's and the animation is friggin gorgeous, especially for its time. I'm sure most if not all episodes were hand drawn, no computers or whatever. If a cartoon from the 30's can look that good animation wise. Toei seriously has no excuse to be putting out trash like this,

The excuse is that those Popeye cartoons from the 30's were meant for theatrical runs. Same with old Looney Tunes cartoons.
Cartoons made for TV have lower budgets and weaker animation. If you want amazing One Piece animation, watch the movies.

The excuse is that those Popeye cartoons from the 30's were meant for theatrical runs. Same with old Looney Tunes cartoons.
Cartoons made for TV have lower budgets and weaker animation. If you want amazing One Piece animation, watch the movies.

What's One Piece's budget? There are plenty of cartoons made for Television that have better animation than the clip in the link.

demidar

That clip looks even worse than usual. Minimal in-betweens and the attack had no movement and consequently lacked a sense of force. Vergo flying had like, 6 frames over 2 seconds.

Sorry i wont accept that. Soul Eater, FMA Brotherhood, Hunter x Hunter both old and new are consistent with animation. Hell, take a look at Gravity Falls, a cartoon on TV and that has some beautiful animation. Toei needs to kick it up a notch and quit being lazy. They've done some things that i'd expect from a 3rd grader. Take a look at these. All from Toei. And there's far worse than these.

y1JGvul.png

bRuO4d1.png

bN9PGSW.png

BatDan

Sorry i wont accept that. Soul Eater, FMA Brotherhood, Hunter x Hunter both old and new are consistent with animation. Hell, take a look at Gravity Falls, a cartoon on TV and that has some beautiful animation. Toei needs to kick it up a notch and quit being lazy. They've done some things that i'd expect from a 3rd grader. Take a look at these. All from Toei. And there's far worse than these.

*off model pictures*

You have a point. Especially with Toei's horrid habit of off-model. Nico Robin has looked dreadful since the time skip (seriously she can't be that hard to draw).

It feels like Toei's issue is they're focusing too much on other series. They seem to believe that since One Piece is still a ratings smash, they don't have to try anymore. Instead they'll put more focus on the annual Pretty Cure or whatever else they've got.

Cwarrior

Dude western cartoons like Gravity Falls have like x5 to x10 the budget of an anime episode of any series, your not getting that kind of budget from any anime company ever for an episode.

One piece before the budget increase was reported to have a budget of a little over ¥10,000,000 per episode (about $127,760 USD), a cartoon like gravity falls could have budget of up to 500k easily.

I haven't seen the clip in question cause I've only recently started catch up (on episode 603 now),but the episode quality mostly depend on which animation director is on the rota for that week's episode, I notice a lot of one piece fans are very fickle with short term memory you can have 5 great to excellent animated episode in a row but when you have one mediocre one it rewrites everyone's opinions of the last 600 episodes.

Last few episode I've watched like 603,602 and 600 have had excellent art and good animation yet when that occasionally happen it's never mentioned we even had shockingly some posters complain on the week of 600 came out, I've recently only watched episode recently and was like what the hell where those guys watching sure it wasn't this excellent looking episode??

episode 600
zxm8.gif

As0nCbJ.jpg

UjDVHsD.jpg

when an episode has art and background art like this, yet you still had people complaining about it.

If your really going to complain about quality the you should stop watching funimation 340p low frame rate stream and wait for real HD verison like me and DTL at least.

You have a point. Especially with Toei's horrid habit of off-model. Nico Robin has looked dreadful since the time skip (seriously she can't be that hard to draw).

It feels like Toei's issue is they're focusing too much on other series. They seem to believe that since One Piece is still a ratings smash, they don't have to try anymore. Instead they'll put more focus on the annual Pretty Cure or whatever else they've got.

Not sure why you keep bring up precure when that's toei's lowest budget anime they have running right now, it's the only one with which as a cap on the number of new frames an episode can have for the franchise, that's why they recycle so much animation(stock animation like transformation and attacks).

If your really going to complain about quality the you should stop watching funimation 340p low frame rate stream and wait for real HD verison like me and DTL at least.

For me, I just wish the anime would go back to a consistant look over all. I know there's different directors and all I just miss the days when every episode looked basically the same. But I wouldn't say we're at the lowest point anymore. The episodes with Robin on the bridge during the separation were the all time worst. Oh, and high five fellow HD fan.

Cwarrior

For me, I just wish the anime would go back to a consistant look over all. I know there's different directors and all I just miss the days when every episode looked basically the same. But I wouldn't say we're at the lowest point anymore. The episodes with Robin on the bridge during the separation were the all time worst. Oh, and high five fellow HD fan.

At episode 196 one piece was given a budget increase and the animators where slowly given more freedom, which resulted in various different art styles and different ways the strawhats are drawn by different animation directors.

It's completely understandable you hated the robin episode it was done by one of the top animation directors nakoi tate but he decide to be a hipster and make the episode into a similar style to movie 6 but more refined art, personally myself I feel the tradition art style is much better but the episode in question didn't look bad.

At episode 196 one piece was given a budget increase and the animators where slowly given more freedom, which resulted in various different art styles and different ways the strawhats are drawn by different animation directors.

It's completely understandable you hated the robin episode it was done by one of the top animation directors nakoi tate but he decide to be a hipster and make the episode into a similar style to movie 6 but more refined art, personally myself I feel the tradition art style is much better but the episode in question didn't look bad.

Yeah, funny thing is I'm perfectly fine with Movie 6's look and all but there's just something about seeing in in that setting with Robin that I really just can't stand. Maybe because it's just a small part but that will forever stick in my mind.

Giving us a Brownbeard retrospective during this Yeti Cool Brothers moment was odd and felt way drawn out. I honestly didn't think he had any fans that were somehow wanting him to have more screentime. I guess it did give us more Traffy but still, the plot already allows for plenty of time for him.

Sub always. That way you can watch the entire thing without having to get used to new voices part way through.

Yeah, if you're planning on moving past the dub you should just start with the sub and watch some of the dub later on. It's well done but so far behind.

Kokonoe

Banned
I found the funimation dub to be better than the original, and I had no qualms with going from dub to sub when I ran out of dub episodes.

Moaradin

I've been watching the dub and I have no interest in the sub. I'm watching it weekly on Toonami. If I get all caught up with the sub I'll be watching it weekly with no end in sight anyways, so I really don't care if I'm a couple hundred episodes behind.

So I just saw this filler arc for One Piece called
Spa Island
and it was incredible. The animation for it was top notch and even simple movements like Sanji pointing at something, or Luffy slipping on soap was flawless.

I really wish One Piece would be animated like this more because I was really impressed. It wouldn't need to be all the time but every once in a while with a good episode like that, it would be very nice to see.

I'm not sure who animated those episodes but they did a great job.

Kokonoe

Banned
Spa Island
and it was incredible. The animation for it was top notch and even simple movements like Sanji pointing at something, or Luffy slipping on soap was flawless.

I really wish One Piece would be animated like this more because I was really impressed. It wouldn't need to be all the time but every once in a while with a good episode like that, it would be very nice to see.

That's the fan service arc correct? That was done by Gainax I think. Now although I don't appreciate all the fanart, that definitely looked a lot better and I would easily tolerate it just for quality animation like those episodes.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Spa Island

Those episodes were animated by Yukiko Nakatani and Takeo Ide, two of the better One Piece animators. It was Nakatani's first episode in fact while Ide has been around since the Dragonball days. Nakatani's episodes tend to always be amazing.

That's the fan service arc correct? That was done by Gainax I think. Now although I don't appreciate all the fanart, that definitely looked a lot better and I would easily tolerate it just for quality animation like those episodes.
What? No. Gainax has never worked on One Piece.

Those episodes were animated by Yukiko Nakatani and Takeo Ide, two of the better One Piece animators. It was Nakatani's first episode in fact while Ide has been around since the Dragonball days. Nakatani's episodes tend to always be amazing.

From looking at his history of the episodes he's animated, it seems they usually have him do fight scenes and specials mostly. I still need to watch The Episode of Nami, especially if it's animated by him because the others looked fantastic.

Cwarrior

Lol what the hell you talking about,giania haven't made any one piece episodes.

nakatani is a young female animator only aged 25 she became an animation director starting the spa fiiler a few years back and Takeo ide is on old vetern dbz animator whoese been working on one piece from the start.

Yeah, funny thing is I'm perfectly fine with Movie 6's look and all but there's just something about seeing in in that setting with Robin that I really just can't stand. Maybe because it's just a small part but that will forever stick in my mind.

I was more annoyed by the different voice actress that Robin had during those episodes. Sure it was only because original actress was sick but still.

Still litrally several months behind, but this has definitely surpassed the manga in quality. The whole Yeti Cool affair and Luffy using myriad abilities back to back to back was exactly what I signed up for in following One Piece. Then to top it off with that ending reveal. Easily the best episode of the arc thus far.

Just popping in to say that One Piece is probably the greatest manga ever.

Also, how has the anime's Punk Hazard adaption holding up? Haven't been a huge fan of the anime for the past couple years.

BatDan

Just popping in to say that One Piece is probably the greatest manga ever.

Also, how has the anime's Punk Hazard adaption holding up? Haven't been a huge fan of the anime for the past couple years.

Same old same old. 1:1 pacing, leading to draaaaaaagged out scenes, weak animation in key fight scenes, off-model faces everywhere. The usual "Toei doesn't care" spiel.

Same old same old. 1:1 pacing, leading to draaaaaaagged out scenes, weak animation in key fight scenes, off-model faces everywhere. The usual "Toei doesn't care" spiel.

:(

Catching up on FUNimation's DVD releases (just finished Franky's past) and it's making me miss how amazing the anime used to be.

Man, Sonny Strait's Usopp is just perfect. Patrick Seitz's Franky is really growing on me as well. Can't wait to hear Enies Lobby dubbed.

Jigolo

Great episode. 8/10

Punk Hazard is miles ahead of Fishman Arc and I'm glad OP is returning to good stuff. This episode stepped it up in animation with the only part lacking was the Brownbeard and crew scene running away (which really didn't matter). Fights were beautiful though and Law showed how badass he is again.

I'd say were 60-65% done with this arc and I can't wait to watch the rest of it.

Top Bottom