• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Cwarrior

Now where are the complainer/moaners we had last week? we got a top class Hisada Kazuya & Yamashita Megumi combo this week yet nobody cares unless we get a mediocre episode, then we have our "toei doesn't care about wan pissu blah blah " talk.

Staff list for the next few episode looks good

Script: Suga Yoshiyuki
Storyboard: Otsuka Takashi
Episode director: Otsuka Takashi
Animation director: Hisada Kazuya & Yamashita Megumi(great)

Script: Yonemura Shoji
Storyboard: Hosoda Masahiro (new)
Episode director: Hosoda Masahiro (new)(dragon ball z battle of the gods director)
Animation director: Deguchi Toshio(weak)

Script: Nakayama Tomohiro
Storyboard: Komaki Aya
Episode director: Komaki Aya
Animation director: Ide Takeo(great)

Script: Tanaka Hitoshi
Storyboard: Yokoyama Kenji
Episode director: Ueda Yoshihiro
Animation director: Nakatani Yukiko(great)

Script: Suga Yoshiyuki
Storyboard: Nishizawa Nobutaka
Episode director: Imamura Takahiro
Animation director: Shingaki Shigefumi(good)

Coincidental the two animation directors we're talking about Nakatani and Ide on the rota back to back in the following weeks.

789shadow

Banned
It is a cleaner break, but it is a part of the Law/Strawhats alliance arc which does seem to be it's own thing. I doubt they'll stay teamed up like this for future arcs.
You mean saga. This is the Pirate Alliance Saga. It's pretty clear that this is the Dressrosa Arc, full stop.

The reason Water 7/Enies Lobby generally get grouped is because the cast more or less get dragged from Water 7 to Enies Lobby. The major elements of Water 7 (The Going Merry's ability to sail, Usopp and Robin leaving, CP9 and the blue prints) pretty much get dragged to Enies Lobby where the plot finishes. Punk Hazard by comparison had pretty much all it's main plot points finished by the time the Straw Hats left
Kids rescued, Caesar captured, SAD facility destroyed, Momonosuke rescued
. Saying Punk Hazard and Dressrosa are the same arc would be like saying Whisky Peak ~ Alabasta is the same arc.

Kater

Banned
Just got back into OP two months ago, started where I left three years ago, at the end of the Arabasta Arc.
Yesterday I finished watching the Battle of Marineford Arc, what a epic battle. Hancock kicking
Smokers
ass was also pretty funny! :D

Also, I bought Unlimited Cruise SP 2 (3DS) a few weeks ago but the story mode is pretty boring. Is there a good OP game somewhere? Or should I just wait and see how Romance Dawn will turn out?

Also, I bought Unlimited Cruise SP 2 (3DS) a few weeks ago but the story mode is pretty boring. Is there a good OP game somewhere? Or should I just wait and see how Romance Dawn will turn out?

Cruise is the only one that has an open world and really rewarding gameplay, which I love. It is a repetitive game though and the combat is awful. Pirate Warriors 2 comes out in the end of august. There's no doubt that it'll be the best One Piece game by far. Unlimited World Red looks sweet but it might never be released in the west. Pirate Warriors 1 is also good by the way but since the sequel is out in less than a month you might as well wait for that one. The Romance Dawn game is awful, but the trailer does make it look great.

Kater

Banned
Cruise is the only one that has an open world and really rewarding gameplay, which I love. It is a repetitive game though and the combat is awful. Pirate Warriors 2 comes out in the end of august. There's no doubt that it'll be the best One Piece game by far.

Pirate Warriors 2 you say? Damn, only on consoles that I do not own (yet).
I may have to buy a PS3 when it drops in price, so many games I missed out on and those 2 (PW 1 & 2) are a good reason to get one as well.

Code:
The Romance Dawn game is awful, but the trailer does make it look great.
What makes Romance Dawn so awful?

What a shame that Wonder Red doesn't get released here, it looks pretty good, just watched an impressions video about it with some gameplay footage.

Also, does UCSP2 get less repetitive over time or is it fetch quest - re-spawning enemies rinse and repeat all the way? I like the Marineford Episode fights and the Survival Mode and played it for hours but I got bored after just one hour of the story mode. I'm at a broken bridge and don't have any stones. I don't even know where to look for that stuff... :(

Pirate Warriors 2 you say? Damn, only on consoles that I do not own (yet).
I may have to buy a PS3 when it drops in price, so many games I missed out on and those 2 (PW 1 & 2) are a good reason to get one as well.

What makes Romance Dawn so awful?

What a shame that Wonder Red doesn't get released here, it looks pretty good, just watched an impressions video about it with some gameplay footage.

Also, does UCSP2 get less repetitive over time or is it fetch quest - re-spawning enemies rinse and repeat all the way? I like the Marineford Episode fights and the Survival Mode and played it for hours but I got bored after just one hour of the story mode. I'm at a broken bridge and don't have any stones. I don't even know where to look for that stuff... :(

When PS3 drops in price? It already has. How much cheaper can it get, man? Just buy one. You get One Piece, Uncharted, Last Of Us, Beyond, inFamous -- all kinds of exclusives. As for Romance Dawn, just read some review or watch gameplay.

Unlimited Cruise 2 stays the same for the most of the game. You advance, gain new moves, get some vehicles, explore new lands etcetera but the gameplay is always the same.

The latest episode was amazing. I'll take a seven minute recap if we always get an episode so well done. Glad to see the anime can still get me hyped up.

Acid08

Banned
Got to Nami's appearance in the manga, the pace is insane. Everything is moving so fast. Guess that's just the nature of manga v. anime as formats though.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Got to Nami's appearance in the manga, the pace is insane. Everything is moving so fast. Guess that's just the nature of manga v. anime as formats though.

Everything in the East Blue is pretty fast-paced. Oda wanted the crew to enter the Grand Line in Chapter 100 (either that or editors made him do it).

Kokonoe

Banned
We discussed this along with the Chimera theory awhile ago not sure if it was this thread or the manga thread

Ah...good to know. Was a real nice read.
Yea it was this thread

Kokonoe, if you havent looked it up yet, check out the Blackbeard chimera theory. Itll blow your mind.

I'll check that out, thank you.

Just imagine when the series ACTUALLY ENDS.

My guesstimate is 2016 or 2017.

Acid08

Banned
Just finished Nami's arc in the manga, almost to chapter 100. Loving it. Oda's art is insane. Sometimes it's a bit hard to keep track of what's going on in intense action scenes though. I've seen people say in the manga thread that this only gets worse, the current arc being a big culprit of this.

Seriously though, I cannot wait to catch up and get past the anime.

Just finished Nami's arc in the manga, almost to chapter 100. Loving it. Oda's art is insane. Sometimes it's a bit hard to keep track of what's going on in intense action scenes though. I've seen people say in the manga thread that this only gets worse, the current arc being a big culprit of this.

Seriously though, I cannot wait to catch up and get past the anime.

The all time worst was the war imo. It was filled with huge two page spreads covered in details.

Are there any theories for Pandaman? I know Oda said that he would be explained at some point, but I don't know if he was joking or not. Hard to tell with Oda. I have no clue what his story would be.

BatDan

Are there any theories for Pandaman? I know Oda said that he would be explained at some point, but I don't know if he was joking or not. Hard to tell with Oda. I have no clue what his story would be.

Pandaman is nothing more than a joke character. His "story" is that he's on the run from Tomato Gang, a debt collector.
Oda originally created Pandaman for a contest related to Kinnikuman.

Pandaman is nothing more than a joke character. His "story" is that he's on the run from Tomato Gang, a debt collector.
Oda originally created Pandaman for a contest related to Kinnikuman.

Yeah yeah yeah, but Oda said that his story would be explained. He seemed to imply that there was a legitimate story about that character.

I got around to watching Film Z last night. I actually really liked it. Thought it was superb, minus the ending, which kinda threw me off. Animation was excellent all around and Kuzan playing a part of it was pretty awesome.

Truth be told, I haven't seen all of the One Piece movies (saw 1-3, Episode of Alabasta, Episode of Chopper, Strong World), but this one is at the top for me.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Yeah yeah yeah, but Oda said that his story would be explained. He seemed to imply that there was a legitimate story about that character.
Oda likes trolling his readers in the SBS.

I got around to watching Film Z last night. I actually really liked it. Thought it was superb, minus the ending, which kinda threw me off. Animation was excellent all around and Kuzan playing a part of it was pretty awesome.

Truth be told, I haven't seen all of the One Piece movies (saw 1-3, Episode of Alabasta, Episode of Chopper, Strong World), but this one is at the top for me.

Watch 4 and 6. Especially 6.

BatDan

I love the letters section in the manga too.

I don't love "beli"

Berries is probably the most accurate translation of One Piece's currency. Though Oda has used "Berry" and "Belly" (an assistant probably did that since Oda is usually consistent with English terms, like the Wanted posters).

JWzG4Yo.jpg

One Piece 608: a mastermind underground! doflamingo makes his move!

One Piece 609 Preview

My brother just got to Enies Lobby and saw up to the start of Robin's origin story before we called it a night. The highlight moment was when luffy unveiled gear second my brother didn't realize it was Luffy's ssj style power up and was jaw dropped when he realized just how much of a power up it was.

This is now my third time seeing the events of enies lobby in the anime fourth with the manga and it just gets better every time

Jigolo

My brother just got to Enies Lobby and saw up to the start of Robin's origin story before we called it a night. The highlight moment was when luffy unveiled gear second my brother didn't realize it was Luffy's ssj style power up and was jaw dropped when he realized just how much of a power up it was.

This is now my third time seeing the events of enies lobby in the anime fourth with the manga and it just gets better every time
Haha so did my jaw drop the first time I saw gear second. Only arc in the series I've watched 3 times. Don't think Oda will ever top it.

Akito

Mind blowing indeed.

And to continue that animation discussion earlier, I sometimes wonder how One Piece would look with a really high budget animation. Sorta like Makoto Shinkai's work, but more Oda-like stylization..
As much as I like Shinkai's works but they don't have high budget animation, the backgrounds are insanely good but the character animation is actually one of the bad points in his movies until recently. Also note that they almost have no action sequences which involve the characters so it's easier to maintain a consistent look.
When you want to see OP with good animation, that's what Strong World and Film Z are for. Also check out the movie Redline to really appreciate hand-drawn animation.

Top Bottom